ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2019-20 Season in general

I am not sure I have an accurate picture of the team for the next few years. Do I have this right?
9feKlvX.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks conn53victor,
I appreciate it. I was just thinking that we needed an updated chart and was tempted to ask you to do it. Two thumbs up!

The freshmen, class of 2023...

61837631_119787909256311_2826780941452484284_n.jpg

We had our first official practice of the 2019-‘20 season and it was so fun! They worked hard & practice had a great vibe! Hawk Fans, I think you’re gonna like this bunch... a whole lot!
instagram.com/p/Bys-J4nHYoy8…

Last edited:
I assume Kate Martin is fully recovered?

Oh well, just noticed in the photo that she's wearing a heavy knee brace.

Iowa plays Towson on Thanksgiving and Washington the Saturday after https://gohuskies.com/schedule.aspx?path=wbball . Third opponent won't be Iona since Towson plays them Friday. Won't be Howard either since Washington plays them Friday. We'll either have only two games (like Towson), or (more likely) there are other teams at the tournament we don't know yet.

Cincinnati third opponent in Puerto Rico - Puerto Rico Schedule
Cincinnati 24-11 last year - NIT QF - Returns top four scorers.

Nice there's no Friday game. No danger of a IA/Neb football overlap.

Last edited:
So if Doyle is busy with the Pan Am games when the women go over to Spain, who will get the nod at PG?

So if Doyle is busy with the Pan Am games when the women go over to Spain, who will get the nod at PG?

Kathleen will join the team after the Pam Am games. Until then I'd say the two freshmen point guards Gabbie Marshall & Megan Meyer.

Women's Basketball 8/1/2019
Iowa WBB Gears Up for Foreign Tour
The University of Iowa women's basketball team begins its foreign tour next week, traveling to Spain for three contests from Aug. 7-18. The Hawkeyes will visit Madrid, Valencia, and Barcelona over the 12-day span, taking on all-star teams in each city.

Game Schedule:
Saturday, Aug. 10 - Iowa vs. Madrid All-Stars
Tuesday, Aug. 13 - Iowa vs. Valencia All-Stars
Friday, Aug. 16 - Iowa vs. Mataro All-Stars

Women's Basketball 8/1/2019
Iowa WBB Gears Up for Foreign Tour
The University of Iowa women's basketball team begins its foreign tour next week, traveling to Spain for three contests from Aug. 7-18. The Hawkeyes will visit Madrid, Valencia, and Barcelona over the 12-day span, taking on all-star teams in each city.

Game Schedule:
Saturday, Aug. 10 - Iowa vs. Madrid All-Stars
Tuesday, Aug. 13 - Iowa vs. Valencia All-Stars
Friday, Aug. 16 - Iowa vs. Mataro All-Stars

(The 2019 Pan American Games women’s basketball competition will take place Aug. 6-10 at the Coliseo Eduardo Dibo in Lima, Peru.)

Wondering if statistics of the overseas trip will published

In the past yes, usually on Hawkeyesports.com or on their twitter where usually there is some sort of live game action updating taking place.

In the past yes, usually on Hawkeyesports.com or on their twitter where usually there is some sort of live game action updating taking place.[/
Hope to see some young players ready to play.

WOMEN'S BASKETBALL
Meyer speaks up as new-look Hawkeyes visit Spain
Steve Batterson sbatterson@qctimes.com Aug 6, 2019

5c98017e01e92.image.jpg

Preparing for an exhibition trip to Spain, Iowa guard Makenzie Meyer is taking a more vocal role as a leader as the Hawkeyes work to replace three starters from last season's 29-win team.
Andy Abeyta, aabeyta@qctimes.com

The Hawkeyes are learning the nuances of a four-guard offense Iowa last deployed three years ago, but had used frequently in prior seasons.

“Instead of two posts, we’ll play with one and sometimes none,’’ Bluder said.

Sophomore Monika Czinano will start in the post for the Hawkeyes, building off of the minutes she received as a reserve last season.

... with three open lineup spots, Bluder likes the timing of the trip that will see the Hawkeyes play exhibitions against all-star teams in Madrid, Valencia and Barcelona beginning on Saturday.

Read the entire story here...
https://qctimes.com/sports/basketba...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Women's Basketball Pan American Games on ESPNU tonight at 6. Hope to see alot of Doyle.
Way to go KD! She might have been the only US player to not play in the first half. But, got in fairly early in the second half and then didn't come out until the last two minutes of the game. And, while she was in, US went from trailing Argentina to having a comfortable lead. Hit a couple of big threes. The game was a "little" chippy.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Have to think Suzy Merchant is doing Kathleen Doyle dirty in the Pan Am games. She got 7 and a half minutes against the Virgin Islands everyone else got 14 and a half or more. Doyle still has not missed from the floor, going 1/1 tonight. She had 3 assists 2 steals and a rebound.

Have to think Suzy Merchant is doing Kathleen Doyle dirty in the Pan Am games. She got 7 and a half minutes against the Virgin Islands everyone else got 14 and a half or more. Doyle still has not missed from the floor, going 1/1 tonight. She had 3 assists 2 steals and a rebound.

Possible, but I wouldn't think Suzy Merchant would intentionally limit her minutes out of spite. There could be a reason, such as nursing an injury or something that is the reason. It seems to me over the years that the coaches tend to try to play the players in the conference a little extra if anything.

Could the Spain trip have anything to do with it? It seems like Doyle will be joining up with the team and playing in the exhibition games after the Pan Am games are over. I have to imagine playing a lot of games in a short period of time on two different continents would take a toll.

JEFF LINDER | THE GAZETTE | AUGUST 8, 2019
Women's basketball: Iowa plans to shift to 4-out attack after departure of Megan Gustafson

Bluder said during a media gathering Tuesday afternoon at Carver-Hawkeye Arena... "With the new offense, "We'll be a one-post team. Sometimes, we'll be a no-post team."

Martin was the first newcomer that Bluder mentioned as a potential impact-maker. “I've [been] very pleased with Kate," Bluder said. Martin's versatility makes her a natural in Bluder's new attack. "I'm mainly a '3' or '4' now, but I played a year of point guard in high school," she said. "I'll play where Coach needs me.

Bluder said. "Some of our freshmen are going to contribute. (McKenna) Warnock, (Gabbie) Marshall ... they're going to surprise you. And (sophomore) Logan (Cook), she's made a jump."

Read the entire article here...
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...ut-attack-after?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:
It might have to do that Pulliam didn't get that many minutes on Tuesday night. So they gave Pulliam the extra minutes last night in the blow out win.

Another nice game for KD in a very tight semi-final win against Puerto Rico. She didn't start, but played the majority of the first half and all of the second half.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Kathleen logged 34 minutes more than anyone else. She was tied for 3rd in scoring with 8 points, had 3 assists (2nd on the team) and had 0 turnovers. She was +12 for her time on the floor. The next best was a +7 for Kiana Williams. The team was -9 when KD was on the bench. Pretty clear her strong defense was a big key in a low scoring game. US prevailed 62-59, on to Brazil for the gold.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT