ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2019-20 Season in general

Puerto Rico shot 63% against Canada the day before from 3 point so I think the girls did an outstanding job holding them to just over 16%.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Brazil beats USA 79-73. Kathleen Doyle had 9 points. Brazil shot 51% while USA shot 33%. USA had a 39-33 rebound edge. Box score wasn't up yet.

I watched the USA vs Brazil game (as well as a few others in the tournament )and came away with several observations.

First, Doyle had a solid all-around game. Her style of play fits in well with international basketball and she should be poised to have another good year coming up.

Second, the rest of the world has caught up to USA. Brazil was by far the better team. USA had better athletes, but Brazil was so fundamentally sound. They used the pick-and-roll and ball movement to get good shots almost possession. USA played a lot of one-on-one NBA ball. While we did have better athletes overall, Brazil played good solid team defense which made it difficult to consistently score that way.

Third, the game was sooooooo much more enjoyable without TV timeouts! There was so much more of a flow to the game. Also, the game feed I was watching was had a Spanish announcer, so I had no clue what they were saying. Just being able to watch a good fast paced game without announcers trying to entertain, was so enjoyable. I was able to just let the game be the entertainment.

Reactions: haightt
I watched the USA vs Brazil game (as well as a few others in the tournament )and came away with several observations.

First, Doyle had a solid all-around game. Her style of play fits in well with international basketball and she should be poised to have another good year coming up.

Second, the rest of the world has caught up to USA. Brazil was by far the better team. USA had better athletes, but Brazil was so fundamentally sound. They used the pick-and-roll and ball movement to get good shots almost possession. USA played a lot of one-on-one NBA ball. While we did have better athletes overall, Brazil played good solid team defense which made it difficult to consistently score that way.

Third, the game was sooooooo much more enjoyable without TV timeouts! There was so much more of a flow to the game. Also, the game feed I was watching was had a Spanish announcer, so I had no clue what they were saying. Just being able to watch a good fast paced game without announcers trying to entertain, was so enjoyable. I was able to just let the game be the entertainment.

The outcome wasn't much of a surprise to me. Brazil basically had their World Cup or Olympic Team playing here which included 2 former WNBA players in Clarissa Dos Santos & Erika De Souza (a former WNBA All-Star), only Damiris Dantas wasn't playing as she is with the Minnesota Lynx. The team the USA put together wasn't even the best college players & they stuck with this team but didn't shoot well enough to win. Also, why coach Suzy Merchant didn't play the best USA offensive player most of the 2nd & entire 3rd quarter in Chennedy Carter was puzzling. Several of the best college players teamed up to win the 3x3 Gold Medal (Ionescu, Hebard, etc..). Put the USA best overall women together they win easily, the gap is closing but their is still a huge gap.

Reactions: JAMAM
Carter and Harris both took a physical pounding in the first game against Argentina and Carter didn't look well in the following games, which might have been part of the reason for the fewer minutes. After watching Doyle in these Pan Am games, well all I'm going to say is I can understand why Iowa is 30 - 40 point underdogs to the likes of Notre Dame, Baylor, U-Conn.

Women's Basketball 8/13/2019
Ollinger Notches Double Double in Win Over Valencia

Senior Amanda Ollinger netted 13 points and pulled down 11 rebounds in Iowa's 69-61 Foreign Tour victory over Valencia on Tuesday evening.

The Hawkeyes shot 46.2 percent from the field over the final 20 minutes to clinch the victory and move to 1-1 in Foreign Tour action.

The Hawkeyes travel to Barcelona tomorrow. Iowa closes out its Foreign Tour game action on Friday with a matchup against the Mataro All-Stars.

Read all the details here...
https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2019...tches-double-double-in-win-over-valencia.aspx

Last edited:
Women's Basketball 8/16/2019
Ollinger Double Double Leads Iowa Past Mataro All-Stars

Ollinger led all scorers with 15 points on 7-for-12 shooting from the field. She registered 11 rebounds, including six offensive boards. The Cedar Rapids, Iowa, native also registered two assists, one steal and one block in the contest.

Redshirt freshman Kate Martin led the team with 13 rebounds (10 defensive, 3 offensive). She chipped in seven points, five steals, and two assists.

Seniors Kathleen Doyle (14 points) and Meyer (12 points) also scored in double figures. Doyle registered five steals, six rebounds, three assists, and a block. Meyer was a perfect 7-for-7 from the free throw line.

Read the entire article here...
https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2019...-double-leads-iowa-past-mataro-all-stars.aspx

What can we expect the main rotation to be this season? If Bluder keeps the same 3-wing rotation I would presume Alexis Sevillian would take Davis' spot. Same with Ollinger for Stewart and Czinano for Gustafson. Strength of this team is going to be Meyer and Doyle. They took over in some of the postseason games when Gustafson was double teamed and couldn't get the ball in the post.

Doyle
Sevillian
Meyer
Ollinger
Czinano

Sanders
Taiwo
Martin
Cook
Ramos

Meyer
Marshall
Warnock

How wrong am I? Don't know how good the freshman are but maybe they get regular minutes in the rotation because of their ball handling skills. Warnock is also a top 100 prospect, seems similar to Logan Cook. Assuming Czinano will get the start at the 5 because of her size and interior defense. Ramos the true backup 5 now?

What can we expect the main rotation to be this season? If Bluder keeps the same 3-wing rotation I would presume Alexis Sevillian would take Davis' spot. Same with Ollinger for Stewart and Czinano for Gustafson. Strength of this team is going to be Meyer and Doyle. They took over in some of the postseason games when Gustafson was double teamed and couldn't get the ball in the post.

Doyle
Sevillian
Meyer
Ollinger
Czinano

Sanders
Taiwo
Martin
Cook
Ramos

Meyer
Marshall
Warnock

How wrong am I? Don't know how good the freshman are but maybe they get regular minutes in the rotation because of their ball handling skills. Warnock is also a top 100 prospect, seems similar to Logan Cook. Assuming Czinano will get the start at the 5 because of her size and interior defense. Ramos the true backup 5 now?

Your starting 5 looks about right, Kate Martin could work her way in if Sevillian doesn't produce consistently. Warnock, Martin, Marshall, Cook will all find their way on the court early & Taiwo might as well due to her 3 point shooting. I've never thought Ramos would get meaningful minutes & Lisa recently said Monika will start but they will play without a center often too which suggests Ramos won't be on the floor much.

I'd like to see a forward/bigger guard (Tomi, Warnock or Martin) work her way into the starting lineup. Could use the size/rebounding and someone who can drive the basket. Alexis plays well off the bench.

Doyle
Sevillian
Meyer
Ollinger
Czinano

Sanders
Taiwo
Martin
Cook
Ramos

Meyer
Marshall
Warnock

I think that at the start of the season your starters are right. I will be surprised if it doesn't change because someone steps up. If Ollinger and Czinano each average 30 minutes (could be too much), that leaves 20 minutes to fill inside. Cook? I think that the third guard spot will be interesting among Sevillian, Sanders, Taiwo, and a freshman. And there will sometimes be a four-guard lineup.

There will be many different combinations early in the season before it settles down to 7-8 players with most of the 200 minutes.
January's 200 minutes:
  • Doyle- 35 minutes
  • Meyer (Mak)- 35 minutes
  • Ollinger- 35 minutes
  • Czinano- 30 minutes
  • Sevillian- 20 minutes
  • Martin- 20 minutes (4th guard)
  • Taiwo- 15 minutes
  • Cook- 10 minutes
My prediction will probably be different tomorrow.

I will be surprised if Monika plays 30 minutes. And I think McKenna and Gabbie will be getting minutes. How many I don't know.

Here's my guess:

1-3 Starters: Doyle, Meyer, Martin (Sevillian might start instead of Martin, but isn't as tall and has been best in her career when coming off the bench)
1-3 Backups: Sevillian, Taiwo, Cook (Doyle, Meyer, and Martin/Sevillian are going to play most the minutes in these positions. Coach Bluder mentioned that Cook took a step forward over the off-season, so she might get some minutes here)

4 Starter: Ollinger
4 Backup: Warnock, Cook, Martin
(I think Warnock will be a great scorer in college, and will play significant minutes as a freshman. Any of these three could be considered a 4th guard in a 4 guard lineup. Warnock and Cook play similar to a wing, but have the height of forwards)

5 Starter: Czinano (I think she'll average closer to 20 minutes than 30)
5 Backup: Ollinger, Warnock (I think there's a good chance Ollinger sees equal or more time playing the "5 but not a post" position than she does at the 4, because there are more options at 4 than the 5. Warnock could be the de-facto 5 in a lineup focused on having shooters at every position)

Reserves: Sanders, Ramos, Megan Meyer, Marshall (I don't think Ramos will play much. Sanders is good enough to play, but there are a logjam of guards, and Coach Bluder might favor younger options. Megan Meyer and Marshall could easily replace Taiwo and Cook as the 1-3 backups if they transition to the college game quickly).

Reactions: hagarwood
Lisa has said some underclassmen will play. She has mentioned Martin, Warnock, Cook and Marshall in particular as standing out. Marshall was a point guard recruit and has the best ball handling skills of the underclassmen it appears . Her minutes will be at the 1 or 2. The other 3 will bring more size . The 4 guard offense blends the 3 and 4 position with all 3 on offense and half playing the 4 on defense. I can the see the other 3 playing the 2 wings with Amanda. They bring size for defense and rebounding. Warnock was a big scorer in high school, I think she will play a lot.

I think Warnock and Martin will play a lot and one of them will be a starter, maybe both. Marshall and Cook will get minutes along with Tomi . Sevillian will come in and play some if she’s hot. If not , back to the bench. Doyle, Olinger, Meyer and Czinano will start of course. I think we are a good 6 deep and then another 4 after that .

I guess I'm a mildly concerned about interior depth. Obviously I don't expect to see a player with the production from the 5 like Gustafson, like ever, but she also ate up a lot of minutes... 34 per game! Czinano will not be able to do that but I am encouraged she'll be a quality defender within a strong perimeter team. Sharon Goodman should provide more depth and production next season. That's needed against teams like Maryland and Rutgers.

Wow! Great comments everyone, especially libertyhawkeye who got the commentary started. I enjoy reading everyone’s opinions. I was not expecting this with FB season getting started. Thanks for everyone’s contributions!

I think there is a general consensus with regard to four of the five starters. Kathleen and Mackenzie are the two full-time returning starters and combined for 66-67 minutes last year. I’m certain that they will do similarly again this season. The only uncertainty is who will replace the three departing senior starters. Although Monica had only 181 minutes, Lisa stated last year that Monica was being groomed to replace Megan. (She shot 55% from the field and scored 15 points with 7 rebounds in one game against NC Central last year.) Amanda (5 career starts and 1116 minutes in three years) and Alexis (35 career starts and 1496 minutes in two years) both have plenty of experience and are logical replacements for Hannah and Tania. Amanda played exceptionally well in Spain and is my prediction for the starting ‘4’ position. I wrote earlier that I thought Alexis may not start next season and that Tomi possibly would. Now, since the Spain trip and the comments that Lisa made at the pre-trip press conference, I believe the fifth starter will be Kate Martin. Lisa specifically mentioned that Kate was doing very well. Also, It was reported that Kate had 13 rebounds, 5 steals, 7 points and 2 assists in the final game in Barcelona. (I did not see any stats for the Spain games but I did see some video clip highlights that showed Kate and Alexis in many of the clips. I saw Tomi only once.)

Lisa usually substitutes more liberally in the non-conference and then settles with fewer substitutions when the B1G schedule begins. Lisa mentioned that they were returning to a single post offense with four players playing out on the perimeter and that they would even play some without a post. She also mentioned that Logan Cook (4 of 7 on 3-point shots last year) had elevated her game. These two comments lead me to believe that Logan will be substituting for Monica and I would guess the minutes to be split about 2/3 to 1/3. Another comment by Lisa, about Makenna Warnock, makes me think she will back-up Amanda. I still think Tomi will have a role behind Kate (or possibly Mackenzie) and that Alexis will see time behind Kathleen and/or Mackenzie. However, another remark by Lisa, about Gabby Marshall, suggests to me that Alexis’ role may be diminished. In my opinion, when the B1G schedule begins, either Makenna or Tomi will be elevated into a three player rotation with Amanda and Kate at the ‘3’ and ‘4’ positions. I think those minutes will be relatively evenly split for the three main players with about 25-30 for the starters and maybe 20 to 5 split for the two substitutes. Meanwhile, the back-up minutes at the ‘1’ and ‘2’ positions will be scarce for Alexis or Gabby. Finally, I really like Zion and think she fits in at one of the wing positions where there will undoubtedly be very few minutes for the bench, so it seems probable that she, Paula V-R and Megan Meyer will spend most of the time sitting at the far end of the bench.

I hope you all enjoy my comments as much as I do yours. Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Really do enjoy your input. Always felt you were close to the staff either as a reporter or possibly in the department. Regardless your insight in the program is above the typical fan. Your comments on Tomi are nice to hear. Root for all the gals but was concerned Tomi frame was going to be too light for how physical the game is even for guards.

I think Megan Meyer is a candidate for a redshirt season due to the overall number guards on the team. Lisa rarely redshirts a player unless there is an injury but did so with Alexis Sevillian for this very reason. I do know Megan wants the opportunity to play with her sister one last time but the program needs should trump that.

Speaking of back up point guard minutes, I think Gabbie Marshall earns that role as she comes from a great program where she played with top tier talent, has a well rounded game, & plays at a good pace from what I seen of her the time I watched her play. I've never liked Alexis Sevillian at the point guard for a few reasons - her ball handling is weak as she keeps it out in front of her too far & has it taken away frequently when pressured, she can be a turn-over machine as her decision making with the ball is often questionable, with all that said she is best suited as a catch & shoot type player who can bring experience to the floor.

Yup, Sevillian has been a nice spark in some games, and a TO machine in others. IMHO about 15-18 minutes is plenty for her, so probably not a starter ideally.

Personally, I think a lineup with one big, 3 wings and a PG puts us at a match-up disadvantage too often, although OTOH I'm also anxious to see the new guards play. If Ollinger can put it together and be the player we've seen glimpses of the last couple of years, I'd like her starting at PF. Though from coach Bluder's comments, I suspect she'll be backing up Czinano, at least early in the season. Guess we'll find out in November :)

Yup, Sevillian has been a nice spark in some games, and a TO machine in others. IMHO about 15-18 minutes is plenty for her, so probably not a starter ideally.

Personally, I think a lineup with one big, 3 wings and a PG puts us at a match-up disadvantage too often, although OTOH I'm also anxious to see the new guards play. If Ollinger can put it together and be the player we've seen glimpses of the last couple of years, I'd like her starting at PF. Though from coach Bluder's comments, I suspect she'll be backing up Czinano, at least early in the season. Guess we'll find out in November :)

Coach Bluder it seems to me always starts the season with a lineup based on seniority and then lets younger players work their way in by conference time. Sometimes it is based on talent emerging, more often it has been by injuries to players ahead of them. So my opening game starting lineup would be Doyle, Sevillian, Meyer, Ollinger and Czinano. I would expect improvement in all of them over last season. Taiwo and Sanders will provide depth at guard.

The more interesting question is what will be the starting lineup by the time Big Ten season rolls around. I could definitely see Martin or Cook or Warnock emerging. I think it is asking too much for a freshman like Marshall to learn the PG position that quickly. And as others have said, the younger Meyer should redshirt but probably won't. And Ramos is a great teammate but will never get much playing time.

I wish college basketball would adopt a redshirt rule similar to college football. Let redshirts play in a few games (possibly excluding post-season tournaments) and still maintain the redshirt. Such a rule would allow Iowa to redshirt Megan Meyer if it wanted, while still letting her get to play a few games with her sister this year. I really don't see a competitive downside to the rule. Most programs aren't using their scholarship limit anyway.

Reactions: hooper56
Coach Bluder it seems to me always starts the season with a lineup based on seniority and then lets younger players work their way in by conference time. Sometimes it is based on talent emerging, more often it has been by injuries to players ahead of them. So my opening game starting lineup would be Doyle, Sevillian, Meyer, Ollinger and Czinano. I would expect improvement in all of them over last season. Taiwo and Sanders will provide depth at guard.

The more interesting question is what will be the starting lineup by the time Big Ten season rolls around. I could definitely see Martin or Cook or Warnock emerging. I think it is asking too much for a freshman like Marshall to learn the PG position that quickly. And as others have said, the younger Meyer should redshirt but probably won't. And Ramos is a great teammate but will never get much playing time.
Haven't seen any box scores from Spain. Did Ramos get many minutes in her home countrry?

I don’t know how much playing time she got but I did see her in a 2-3 highlight clips posted to social media.

Nice article except when you click on the link to the schedule at Hawkeyesports.com you just get a 404 error. Typical.

Edit: Fixed now. Someone on staff must read the HR Basketball board.

Second Edit: Schedule is there now, but three games are missing between January 23rd and 30th. Hope someone is still reading this.

Last edited:
Reactions: LinusPF
Another great schedule by Bluder. Eleven opponents and the only likely RPI chumps are FAU and NCC - FAU to open the season (not a bad idea) and NCC before Finals Week. Five NCAA tournament qualifiers. Three NIT qualifiers. And Washington a Power 5 team. Strength of Schedule shouldn't be an issue come Selection Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT