ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2019-20 Season in general

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/btn-announces-womens-basketball-tv-schedule.283406/

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The Big Ten Network released its television schedule for the 2019-20 women's basketball season on Thursday.

The Hawkeyes appear on BTN a minimum of eight times this season and two will be determined at a later date. All of Iowa's remaining games will be available on BTN Plus.

Television Schedule (All Times Central)
Dec. 4 Clemson 8 p.m. BTN
Jan. 5 at Northwestern 1 p.m. BTN
Jan. 9 Maryland 7 p.m. BTN
Jan. 12 Indiana 4 p.m. BTN
Jan. 23 Ohio State 7 p.m. BTN
Jan. 26 Michigan State TBD BTN
Feb. 2 at Michigan 11 a.m. BTN
Feb. 13 at Maryland 5 p.m. BTN
Feb. 27 Minnesota TBD TBD
Mar. 1 at Rutgers TBD TBD

The Hawkeyes return 10 letterwinners, including starters Kathleen Doyle, Makenzie Meyer, and Alexis Sevillian. Last season, Doyle was a first team All-Big Ten (coaches) honoree.

Fans can request season tickets for the upcoming basketball season at the UI Athletics Ticket Office at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, over the phone at 1-800-IA-HAWKS, or online at hawkeyesports.com/tickets.

https://hawkeyesports.com/schedule.aspx?path=wbball
14f0058a-139c-470a-a744-0ecd8e614324

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkahawk
I see several 6:30pm start times this year (instead of the usual 7pm). Wonder why that is.

Somewhat surprises me on the jerseys. If asked to describe last years men or women's I couldn't do it.

Warnock or Martin. I imagine they'll start as role players off the bench, but wouldn't be surprised if either were starters come year's end.
think u are right, we need someone to emerge as a backup PG. Doyle is a senior with no obvious replacement .

Reactions: JAMAM
Just wondering, where was that video shot? Didn't look like the practice gym, and it had Herky painted on the floor instead of the Tiger Hawk.

Just wondering, where was that video shot? Didn't look like the practice gym, and it had Herky painted on the floor instead of the Tiger Hawk.

The UI Athletics Hall of Fame. There's a mock-up of the court and crowd at CHA.

Reactions: Row55
2019-20 Big Ten Women's Basketball Week
Oct. 21-25, 2019

Now in its fourth year, the Big Ten Women's Basketball Week has taken the traditional preseason media day event and expanded it into a full week of coverage dedicated entirely to all 14 Big Ten women's basketball programs. What's more, the complete Big Ten Women's Basketball Week content package is available online and on demand, whether here on bigten.org, through the Big Ten's social media channels, the Big Ten Network and the FOX Sports app.

Kathleen Doyle will no doubt be named to the preseason all B1G team. Of course Iowa will not be picked to finish in the top three, but it will be interesting to see who is.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAMAM
Lisa mentions Amanda and Kate as [two] players to look for to fill the voids left by the graduated class.

Am I missing something.... Bluder Media Day press conference can't be viewed without paying for it??? Seems like Iowa WBB would want to make this available to everyone interested in their program. Very odd.

No one at ESPN has Iowa in the upper half. I didn't expect that far of a drop, but when you see the what other teams have returning it makes more sense.

B1G Prediction

Takeways from Coach Bluder's Teleconference

Ollinger Health Update
At the team's media day Oct. 24, Bluder said senior forward Amanda Ollinger was slowed by a back injury. There is good news on the injury front: the Hawkeyes are completely healthy, including the 6-foot-1 Ollinger. "She is available and ready to go," Bluder said. "We're not going to start her on Sunday, but she will play significant minutes and I don't have any real restrictions on her at this point. That is good news."

Starting Five
With Ollinger likely to be the first player off the bench Sunday, that leaves Iowa's starting five as seniors Kathleen Doyle and Makenzie Meyer, [redshirt] junior Alexis Sevillian, sophomore Monika Czinano, and [redshirt] freshman Kate Martin.

Read the entire article here...
https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2019...keways-from-coach-bluders-teleconference.aspx

Last edited:
Women's Basketball 10/25/2019
Ollinger Could Be Iowa's Surprising Weapon

Ollinger was a bright spot during Iowa's 12-day summer tour to Spain, averaging 11 rebounds in three games. She posted double-doubles in points and rebounds during wins against Valencia and Mataro, averaging 14 points in the two games.
"I'm seeing her play her best basketball," Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder said. "What I am happy to see about Amanda is a different confidence level and I see somebody who is going hard to the rim for rebounds."

Rebounding is where the 6-foot-1 Ollinger wants to be a force. [In her] 88-game collegiate career, she is averaging 2.9 rebounds per game, [...]
"I want to do anything I can to help the team and getting boards to pick up for (the loss) of Megan will be a good role," Ollinger said. The most productive of Ollinger's first three seasons came as a sophomore in 2017-18. She played 31 games [...], averaged 18.3 minutes, 4.1 rebounds, and 3.0 points per game.
Bluder likes Ollinger's versatility that allows her to shoot from outside (she has 16 career 3-point field goals), post up or guard the post, and catch a ball in traffic.

Link
https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2019/10/25/womens-basketball-ollinger-could-be-iowas-surprising-weapon.aspx

Last edited:
Women's Basketball 11/1/2019
Iowa Hosts Winona State in Exhibition on Sunday

SCOUTING WINONA STATE

• Winona State finished the 2018-19 season at the NSIC quarterfinals and recorded a 15-3 overall record.
  • The Warriors return two-time All-NSIC selection, junior Allie Pickrain. Pickrain led Winona State in scoring (10.8 ppg) and 3-pointers per game (6.7) last season.
  • Junior Emily Kieck complimented Pickrain and led the Warriors last season in assists per game (2.5).
  • Head Coach Scott Ballard is in his 16th season at Winona State, posting 11 winning seasons. Ballard coached the Warriors to their fifth consecutive NSIC quarterfinal and has made the NCAA Tournament three times -- the first three in program history.
GUARDS ON DUTY
  • The Hawkeyes are experienced at the guard position, returning seniors Kathleen Doyle, Makenzie Meyer, and junior Alexis Sevillian.
  • Together, the trio accounted for 131 of Iowa's 201 3-pointers made (65 percent) and collectively averaged 78.9 percent from the free-throw line last season.
ROSTER AT A GLANCE
  • The Hawkeyes return nine letterwinners, including two starters in All-Big Ten selection Kathleen Doyle and Makenzie Meyer. Alexis Sevillian made 12 starts last season.
  • Doyle led the team last season in assists, averaging 5.9 per game – a mark that led the Big Ten and ranked 15th nationally. She also led in steals, averaging 2.3 per contest – the second best mark in the Big Ten. She ranked third on the team in scoring, averaging 12.0 points per game.
  • Meyer led the team with 62 3-pointers made and recorded 143 assists.
  • Guard Megan Meyer enters her freshman season after averaging 24.9 points per game, 4.6 rebounds, and 4.5 assists as a senior. Meyer is a four-time all-state honoree and two-time Globe Gazette Player of the Year (2017, 2018).
  • Guard/forward McKenna Warnock joins the squad from Monona Grove where she was the all-time leading scorer (boys and girls) and all-time leading rebounder.
  • Guard Gabbie Marshall enters her first year after leading Mount Notre Dame to a 2019 Ohio State Championship title, recording 73 steals and shooting 42.6 percent from 3-point range.
  • Edwardsville, Illinois, native, Kate Martin will make her debut after redshirting last season with a knee injury. The first-team all-state honoree averaged 16.2 points, 5.9 rebounds, 2.9 assists, and 2.1 steals per game as a senior.
RECORD WATCH
  • Head coach Lisa Bluder is four wins away from the 400-win mark at Iowa.
  • Senior Kathleen Doyle is seven points from 1,000 career points (993) and 59 assists from ranking second all-time at Iowa. Doyle has 517 total assists.
Link:
https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2019...sts-winona-state-in-exhibition-on-sunday.aspx

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT