ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2019-20 Season in general

Reactions: L. Wade Childress
Only 13 minutes for Kate Martin. Still wearing a huge brace, perhaps she's not back to 100% yet.

Only 13 minutes for Kate Martin. Still wearing a huge brace, perhaps she's not back to 100% yet.
She was in constant foul trouble. Had two early in the first half, and that means unless your name is Megan Gustafson, Bluder is going to sit you the rest of the half. She then picked up her third early in the third quarter and back to the bench.
She did, though, carry that leg oddly. I am hoping it is the brace and not the knee.

Reactions: JAMAM and Row55
She was in constant foul trouble. Had two early in the first half, and that means unless your name is Megan Gustafson, Bluder is going to sit you the rest of the half. She then picked up her third early in the third quarter and back to the bench.
She did, though, carry that leg oddly. I am hoping it is the brace and not the knee.

in the postgame on the radio, Bluder said that sitting out for a year left Martin a little too eager to compete, leading to a couple of charges. She’ll find her rhythm.

Lindsay Whalen could learn a thing or two from the Bluder school of scheduling. Don't schedule a Sweet 16 team first game of the season. Especially at 3pm on a Tuesday when you're not going to get a home crowd. (Though I doubt Whalen had a choice on the 3pm part.)

SCOUTING FLORIDA ATLANTIC
  • Florida Atlantic finished the 2018-19 season with a 5-25 overall record with eight true freshmen, tying the most in the nation.
  • The Owls return statistical leaders and sophomores Juliette Gauthier, Abby Voss, and Glenisha Harkless. Gauthier was the leading scorer last season, averaging 11.2 points per game, Voss led the team in rebounds per game (5.9), and Harkless totaled 56 assists.
  • In their exhibition against Nova Southeastern, three Owls scored in double digits, including graduate transfer Crystal Primm (23), freshman Lotta Vehka-Aho (21), and Juliette Gauthier (18).
  • Head coach Jim Jabir is in his third season at the helm with his 2019-20 squad being comprised of six returners and 11 newcomers.

FLORIDA ATLANTIC -- THE SERIES
  • Iowa owns a 1-0 advantage in the all-time series.
  • The teams last met at a neutral cite during the 1994-95 season. Iowa won 67-42.

Does anybody have any idea how good Florida Atlantic is r they poor

Bluder said after the game on Sunday that they scheduled Florida Atlantic because Kachine Alexander was an assistant coach. Then unfortunately she got married and quit coaching after the game had already been set. Would have been nice to see Kash again.

Reactions: JAMAM
SCOUTING FLORIDA ATLANTIC
  • Florida Atlantic finished the 2018-19 season with a 5-25 overall record with eight true freshmen, tying the most in the nation.
  • The Owls return statistical leaders and sophomores Juliette Gauthier, Abby Voss, and Glenisha Harkless. Gauthier was the leading scorer last season, averaging 11.2 points per game, Voss led the team in rebounds per game (5.9), and Harkless totaled 56 assists.
  • In their exhibition against Nova Southeastern, three Owls scored in double digits, including graduate transfer Crystal Primm (23), freshman Lotta Vehka-Aho (21), and Juliette Gauthier (18).
  • Head coach Jim Jabir is in his third season at the helm with his 2019-20 squad being comprised of six returners and 11 newcomers.

FLORIDA ATLANTIC -- THE SERIES
  • Iowa owns a 1-0 advantage in the all-time series.
  • The teams last met at a neutral cite during the 1994-95 season. Iowa won 67-42.
So they had 8 true freshmen last year and 11 newcomers this year? Talking about player turnover!

Reactions: cyberhawk
Bluder said after the game on Sunday that they scheduled Florida Atlantic because Kachine Alexander was an assistant coach. Then unfortunately she got married and quit coaching after the game had already been set. Would have been nice to see Kash again.
Aww, pity! One doesn't have to quit coaching after getting married... Just saying.

And Tania Davis is on the coaching staff for Clemson. So we get to see a former player after all.

Aww, pity! One doesn't have to quit coaching after getting married... Just saying.

And Tania Davis is on the coaching staff for Clemson. So we get to see a former player after all.
FAU's 5-25 record might have factored into Kachine's decision too. ;)

https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-...019/11/4311/roster-breakdown-meet-the-newbies

Here's the link to an article I wrote about Iowa's freshman class this year. I should have a similar article out tomorrow focused on the returning players. Otherwise, I'll do game recaps and the occasional other article over at Go Iowa Awesome. I won't post any other links to those articles, though, because that kind of constant self promotion seems tacky. Feel free to share your thoughts or tell me I'm wrong throughout the year either here or over at GIA.

https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-...019/11/4311/roster-breakdown-meet-the-newbies

Here's the link to an article I wrote about Iowa's freshman class this year. I should have a similar article out tomorrow focused on the returning players. Otherwise, I'll do game recaps and the occasional other article over at Go Iowa Awesome. I won't post any other links to those articles, though, because that kind of constant self promotion seems tacky. Feel free to share your thoughts or tell me I'm wrong throughout the year either here or over at GIA.
Do you think Iowa may get a player onto the All Big Ten freshman team this year?

Well done! Please continue to share. Would fill a gap in Hawkeye Report.

Reactions: 12Pitcher!
Do you think Iowa may get a player onto the All Big Ten freshman team this year?

It'll be tough. Maryland got 4 Top 100 players in the 2019 class, and 3 of them played more than 20 minutes yesterday in a rotation of only 8 players. Ohio State got 5 Top 100 players from 2019, and they were terrible last year, so I expect significant playing time from those players. Michigan State also got 4 Top 100 players, but they all started on the bench in the team's opener.

Otherwise, several other teams got 1 or 2 Top 100 players, and freshman from outside the Top 100 could emerge too. Kate Martin and McKenna Warnock should have the best chance to get on the team, but I'd put the odds under 50% for either.

Reactions: UpstreamHawkeye
It'll be tough. Maryland got 4 Top 100 players in the 2019 class, and 3 of them played more than 20 minutes yesterday in a rotation of only 8 players. Ohio State got 5 Top 100 players from 2019, and they were terrible last year, so I expect significant playing time from those players. Michigan State also got 4 Top 100 players, but they all started on the bench in the team's opener.

Otherwise, several other teams got 1 or 2 Top 100 players, and freshman from outside the Top 100 could emerge too. Kate Martin and McKenna Warnock should have the best chance to get on the team, but I'd put the odds under 50% for either.
That is a very logical and objective way of viewing it. For Iowa, I believe Kate Martin has the best chance at B1G postseason freshmen honors. She is the first substitute off the bench (for now) and will undoubtedly play significant minutes. She could be third or fourth in mpg. Although I do believe that she can average scoring in the double digits, it is her defense and rebounding that will make her compelling. Also, I think the fact that she is in her second year and has one year of experience in the program gives her an advantage over other true freshmen. So, I am optimistic that she will achieve B1G postseason All-Freshmen.

Since it was requested, here's my article from today about Iowa's returning players for this season. TLDR: Doyle, Meyer, Sevillian, Ollinger, and Czinano will start to open the year and be in the rotation throughout. Everyone else will have to battle the freshman for rotation spots.

https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-...19/11/4316/roster-breakdown-returning-players
That is a very good thorough analysis of the team. Thank you for sharing that (and the freshmen story as well), I enjoyed reading it/them. Do you think that anyone other than Kathleen (or Makenzie) could achieve B1G postseason honors? I believe it is possible for Amanda and/or Monica to receive at least honorable mention.

I hope fans will continue to attend the home games just like they did last year. Go Hawks!

Speaking as an older sibling, I wouldn't want to be the older sibling in the Meyer household tonight - :D
Three Pointers
Makenzie: 0-5
Megan: 1-1

Last edited:
That is a very good thorough analysis of the team. Thank you for sharing that (and the freshmen story as well), I enjoyed reading it/them. Do you think that anyone other than Kathleen (or Makenzie) could achieve B1G postseason honors? I believe it is possible for Amanda and/or Monica to receive at least honorable mention.

I hope fans will continue to attend the home games just like they did last year. Go Hawks!

After tonight, I'm more optimistic McKenna, Gabbie, or Kate (she had an off night) could make the all freshman team.

I'm also less optimistic anyone aside from Kathleen can make the All-Big Ten team. I don't think Makenzie can do enough to create her own shots except on fast breaks. Monika is a good finisher, but isn't a great rebounder and might struggle with turnovers. Amanda doesn't do enough offensively, and might lose minutes to McKenna as the season goes along.

Warnock with a double-double tonight in 15 minutes . Marshall also in double figures. Future looking bright

Not to overreact to one game, but I think Gabbie might be our best three-point shooter already. Her shot looks so much simpler and more repeatable than Makenzie, Alexis, or Kathleen's.

McKenna needs to get more minutes going forward. We don't have anyone else that can combine her size, athleticism, and scoring.

Reactions: blackett73
The high turnovers aren't a surprise, that's who this team is. Didn't listen to the post game show, but I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches were preaching "box out, box out, box out," as they've been doing for several years. That said, we tend to play well in November and December, and I think that will continue.

And because I'm sure no one's sick of seeing my username or byline yet, here's my recap of tonight's game. Come for the popular fantasy series reference, stay for the basketball analysis.

https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-.../4320/iowa-85-florida-atlantic-53-a-beginning

Great analysis. I watched knowing that by conference play, we’ll be down to 7–8 players seeing the bulk of playing time. I am assuming that Doyle and Mak Meyer will get a ton of time with little rest in the most competitive games. Czinano has to be on the floor a lot, but that still probably means 25+ rather than 30+.

Then it gets harder to predict based on scant evidence. It looks like Marshall will get most of the sub minutes at point, plus a little time along side Doyle if her shooting is consistent.

Regardless of who starts, Warnock will get time on the floor, both because she is effective and to allow Ollinger time at center to relieve Czinano.

That leaves Sevillian and Martin for the rest of the time that matters. (I underappreciate Sevillian.)

Someone will surprise me this season; I hope it is a positive surprise. And NO INJURIES!

Not to overreact to one game, but I think Gabbie might be our best three-point shooter already. Her shot looks so much simpler and more repeatable than Makenzie, Alexis, or Kathleen's.

McKenna needs to get more minutes going forward. We don't have anyone else that can combine her size, athleticism, and scoring.
Don't discount Megan Meyer. She didn't see many minutes tonight but she can hit from anywhere on the floor.

The glaring issue in last night's game of course was Czinano's foul trouble. Hope it gets addressed. Gabbie Marshall played well. Maybe I was mistaken but she appeared taller than Doyle and Mak Meyer. All three are listed as 5'9. She did get caught up by the defenders on a potential fast break. Perhaps its' because she was a bit hesitant. Warnock had a double double. She has potential in getting the rebounds.

While leaving the game last night I ran across some really tall girls. I didn't pay attention at first but then I realized they were former Iowa players, Bethany Doolittle and I think Nicole Smith and Hailey Scheden. Doolittle was carrying a backpack, which made me think perhaps she is currently attending grad school at UI.

While leaving the game last night I ran across some really tall girls. I didn't pay attention at first but then I realized they were former Iowa players, Bethany Doolittle and I think Nicole Smith and Hailey Scheden. Doolittle was carrying a backpack, which made me think perhaps she is currently attending grad school at UI.

Bethany is in the Dentistry School at Iowa.

Drake beat Iowa State 86-81. It feels to me like a couple of those Bulldogs have been on that team for 6 or 7 years

Women's Basketball 11/11/2019
WBB Notebook: Iowa vs. North Alabama

SCOUTING NORTH ALABAMA
  • North Alabama finished the 2018-19 season with a 21-9 overall record, and finished fourth in conference play with a 10-6 record.
  • North Alabama is 2-0 on the season with wins over Virginia University of Lynchburg (128-26) and Mississippi Valley State (86-60).
  • The Lions return nine letterwinners and all five starters from the 2018-19 season. The starters include statistical leaders Brittany Panetti, Ivy Wallen, Emma Wallen, Kenysha Coulson, and Ansley Eubank.
  • Panetti leads the Lions in total points (36), I. Wallen has 22 assists, and Panetti, Eubank, and sophomore Jaylin Austin have pulled in 13 rebounds on the season.
  • In their first two games, six Lions scored in double digits, including Panetti, freshman Jaida Bond, I. Wallen, E. Wallen, junior Olivia Noah, and sophomore Sarah Suttle.
  • Head coach Missy Tiber is in her seventh season at the helm. She earned her 100th win at North Alabama in the Lions season opener against Virginia-Lynchburg. Tiber led her team to a 21-9 record in its first season as a Division I program in 2018-19.

NORTH ALABAMA -- THE SERIES

• Thursday's matchup with be the first between Iowa and North Alabama.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT