ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2019-20 Season in general

NCAA.com flipped the score, showing Iowa losing 100-71.
WHDmWIU_d.jpg

https://www.ncaa.com/game/3922643

Last edited:
WOW how has Notre Dame fallen. They just lost to South Dakota State 65-59 and are now 4-4 on the season. I know SDS has always put out a good team but I wasn't expecting Notre Dame to loose.

Watched a little Washington / Iona today. Washington has a lot of big, wide bodies. They're going to pack in a zone defense. We're going to get open outside shots, but rebounding them is going to be tough if they don't go in. Washington didn't shoot well, but we are going to have to get the defensive rebounds. Washington looked slow. We should have lots of fast-break opportunities.

Last edited:
Reactions: crstuff
Terrible game and really bad game plan. Washington guards were really bad - amazingly they had more turnovers than us. But they could shoot a three every now and then. Yet we sit back in a zone. We could have turned them over a lot more than we did. Then with just a couple minutes left, when we're trying to come back from double-digits, we don't even pressure the ball as they bring it up the court. We just run back and sit in our zone and let them run down the clock.

We shot way, way too many threes. Drive the basket! Get some fouls!

This loss was more on the offense than the defense IMO. Our man to man defense got torched by back cuts early, so I think the switch to zone was a good one. Washington shot fairly well from three and still only scored 70 points. Iowa's going to win most games that its opponents score 70 or less.

Offensively, we turned it over so much that we never really found a rhythm. I agree that we shot too many threes. Against zone, we need to find someone who can be a threat from the mid range like Chase Coley and Hannah Stewart were in years past. That would take some pressure off the low post and possibly create more cutting or driving lanes. Warnock hit a couple of those late, but didn't get a ton of other opportunities to shoot them.

Reactions: LinusPF and crstuff
This loss was more on the offense than the defense IMO. Our man to man defense got torched by back cuts early, so I think the switch to zone was a good one. Washington shot fairly well from three and still only scored 70 points. Iowa's going to win most games that its opponents score 70 or less.

Offensively, we turned it over so much that we never really found a rhythm. I agree that we shot too many threes. Against zone, we need to find someone who can be a threat from the mid range like Chase Coley and Hannah Stewart were in years past. That would take some pressure off the low post and possibly create more cutting or driving lanes. Warnock hit a couple of those late, but didn't get a ton of other opportunities to shoot them.
All correct. Switch to zone at the time was good. But it was time to adjust back when we were trying to come back late. Frustrating to see Wash win each possession just by taking too many uncontested seconds off the clock every time. We needed to get more possessions given how awful the offense was.

Last edited:
Reactions: BraydonRoberts5
All correct. Switch to zone at the time was good. But it was time to adjust back when we were trying to come back late. Frustrating to see Wash win each possession just by taking too many uncontested seconds off the clock every time. We needed to get more possessions given how awful the offense was.

I agree late. Doesn't look like we've practiced pressing all that much. And we're going to need to press with all the close games we're likely to play the rest of the year.

I see Jantel Lavender will be one of the TV announcers for tomorrow's game. I wonder if she will say anything about Megan Gustafson, who smashed her record of number of Big Ten Player of the Week awards.:)

I see Tania and Hannah will receive their Championship rings before the game, and Megan later when she gets back in country.

Women's Basketball 12/3/2019

WBB Notebook: B1G/ACC Challenge vs. Clemson

SCOUTING CLEMSON
  • Clemson is 3-5 on the season with wins over Furman, Alabama State, and Alcorn State.
  • Clemson played its last contest on Nov. 30 -- a 77-46 win over Alcorn State.
  • Senior forward Kobi Thornton leads the Tigers with 13.3 points per game, coming off the bench. Freshman forward Amari Robinson follows with 18.1 points per game.
  • The pair also lead in rebounds with Robinson pulling in 7.0 per game and Thornton recording 5.8.
  • As a team, Clemson is averaging 60.4 points per game, while opponents are averaging 63.4.
  • In Amanda Butler's first year as Clemson's head coach, the Tigers climbed to historical heights, highlighted by their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2002. Clemson finished the 2018-19 season at 20-13, the most wins in a season since 2001.
THE SERIES
  • Wednesday's contest is the first between Iowa and Clemson.

Last edited:
I see Jantel Lavender will be one of the TV announcers for tomorrow's game. I wonder if she will say anything about Megan Gustafson, who smashed her record of number of Big Ten Player of the Week awards.:)
Looks like she spoke to the team at practice. Maybe she shared some Samantha Prahalis stories with the coaches ;)

Reactions: UpstreamHawkeye
It was quite cool that after the pregame ceremony, Stewart and Davis low fived the lines of Iowa and Clemson players respectively at the same time.

https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-hawkeyes-womens-basketball/2019/12/4430/iowa-74-clemson-60-recap

Here's my recap of last night's game. My biggest takeaway was Iowa's passing against the zone. At time, it was a thing of beauty. Iowa was absolutely shredding Clemson. Other times, passing turnovers were keeping Clemson in the game.

I'd guess at least half of the first half turnovers came on entry pass attempts to Monika. Rather than continuing to work the offense, the guards got lazy and looked to thread a needle to her when they didn't need to. The good parts of last night show that Monika will get open when Iowa works the offense. And when she gets open, she'll get a basket most the time.

Also props to Coach Bluder for going to the triangle and two. It killed Clemson's offense for much of the second half.

Last edited:
I definitely agree with your recap, especially concerning the Iowa passing. Doyle had a tough night turning the ball over, but did a lot of good things as well..I think she tries to go too fast at times. I also really liked the play of G Marshall and Warnock made some very nice passes. Good win.

This was touched on a bit in the Iowa-ISU thread, but what are everyone's thoughts on Kate Martin? Clearly she hasn't started the year well. Her playing time has gone down considerably as Iowa essentially abandoned the four guard lineup.

I'm wondering if her knee is still affecting her. That or maybe the brace is impacting her movement some. She doesn't look as quick or explosive as she did in high school. That's fine when guarding an opposing 4, but doesn't work in man against a lot of guards. I think that's why she didn't play last night. The game plan was man to man defense all night, and Tomi was clearly the better defensive option in man.

not sure if she's injured but Warnock is playing well and demanding court time. Only so many minutes to go around.

Here's my recap of Iowa-Drake, and some thoughts about the non-conference so far. Overall, the last few months have gone a lot better than I expected. The Washington game got away, but 9-2 was better than I thought they would do against that schedule.

Mak has finally taken the next step from shooter to all-around scorer. Monika is better at scoring in the low post than we could've hoped. Ollinger does great work defensively and on the glass. Marshall and Warnock have filled in well so early in their college careers.

And recruiting is going just as well. Clark is the marquee signing, but Ediger and Stuelke look good for the class of 2021 and 2022. On top of that, we made Kampschroeder's Top 3. She might not end up at Iowa, but gaining traction and ultimately landing recruits like her is how Iowa can take the step from consistent tournament appearances to consistent Sweet 16s or better.

The coaching staff has done a phenomenal job this year.

https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-.../2019/12/4491/iowa-79-drake-67-a-game-of-runs

Feared the worst after the UNI game, but they are looking good. I think Princeton is the only tournament team we faced in the non-con, so the B1G is going to be a big jump in competition. B1G has nine Top 50 RPI teams - Yikes.

Great summary (as usual) and recap of the non-con season. It needs one edit. Doyle had a double-double with assists, not rebounds. Does she have a triple-double in her? Maybe.

Good catch. I just fixed it. As for a triple-double, I think it's possible. She's gotten close a few times. It'll take a perfect storm, though. Getting to 10 rebounds is tough as a guard, Ionescu excepted.

Feared the worst after the UNI game, but they are looking good. I think Princeton is the only tournament team we faced in the non-con, so the B1G is going to be a big jump in competition. B1G has nine Top 50 RPI teams - Yikes.

As of December 9th, Creme's Bracketology had Drake as an 8, Iowa as a 9, Iowa State as a 9, and Princeton as a 9. Hopefully that holds, as it would boost up our non-conference resume.

And yeah, the Big Ten is going to be brutal. Creme's bracket had 11 Big Ten teams in it. No real outstanding teams, though, which is a positive. That amount of good teams in conference should give Iowa some breathing room. Plenty of opportunities for good wins, and losses that won't look so bad. Defending home court will be essential.

Reactions: hawkshawn
As of December 9th, Creme's Bracketology had Drake as an 8, Iowa as a 9, Iowa State as a 9, and Princeton as a 9. Hopefully that holds, as it would boost up our non-conference resume.

And yeah, the Big Ten is going to be brutal. Creme's bracket had 11 Big Ten teams in it. No real outstanding teams, though, which is a positive. That amount of good teams in conference should give Iowa some breathing room. Plenty of opportunities for good wins, and losses that won't look so bad. Defending home court will be essential.
New update as of today has Iowa as a 6th seed.

ESPN Bracketology

It's interesting that Iowa's up to a 6 now when both Iowa State and Drake fell out of the bracket. That's really good news, though. Given the state of the Big Ten, there really aren't any bad losses looming. And most victories will be against tournament teams or close. Just have to win a fair share of those games.

Reactions: blackett73
SCOUTING NEBRASKA
  • Nebraska is 10-1 on the season -- it's on loss against Creighton, 79-74.
  • The Cornhuskers are leading the Big Ten in blocked shots (5.9 per game), second in offensive rebounding (42.2 per game), and third in free throw percentage (71.9).
  • Junior center Kate Cain is second in the conference, blocking 3.0 shots per game.
  • Sophomore forward Leigha Brown leads Nebraska and ranks 11th in the Big Ten in scoring (14.7 ppg) after her season-high 25-point effort against Manhattan (Dec. 22). Brown added five rebounds and four assists against the Jaspers to earn a spot on the Big Ten Weekly Honor Roll (Dec. 23). She is the only non-starter in the Big Ten averaging more than 12 points per game.
  • Two additional Huskers are averaging double-figure scoring, including sophomore guard Sam Haiby (10.7) and Cain (10.1).
  • Sophomore forward Ashtyn Veerbeek averages 6.4 rebounds per game, leading Nebraska. Cain follows with 6.2.
  • As a team, Nebraska averages 74.2 points per game, while holding opponents to 59.4.
  • Amy Williams is in her fourth season with the Cornhuskers. Williams captured 2018 Big Ten Coach-of-the-Year honors after the Huskers earned a bid into the 2018 NCAA Tournament and finished with a 21-11 record - a nation-leading 14-game turnaround in the win column over 2016-17.

SCOUTING NEBRASKA -- THE SERIES

• Iowa and Nebraska are tied all-time, 14-14.
  • Last season, the Hawkeyes swept the Cornhuskers, winning at Pinnacle Bank Arena, 74-58, on Feb. 25, 2019 and at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, 77-71, on Jan. 3, 2019.
  • The Hawkeyes are 6-5 at Pinnacle Bank Arena, winning three of the last four contests on the Huskers home court.

This looks pretty accurate to me. I'd take sixth place in this year's B1G.
CR Gazette Picks

I wouldn't have picked Purdue so high or OSU so low. But Purdue just beat OSU by 20, so shows you what I know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT