ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2019-20 Season in general

cyberhawk

HR MVP
Jun 30, 2009
The women’s B1G conference Home/Away slate of conference games was made public today. So it seems like a good time to begin the next season general discussion.

Link to last seasons (WBB 2018-19 season) general discussion thread...
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/wbb-2018-2019-season.234964/page-16

Link to ‘WBB looking for a grad transfer post player’ thread...
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...ansfer-post-player.266465/page-2#post-6465760

Link to ‘WBB Recruiting 2017 and beyond’ thread...
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/wbb-recruiting-2017-and-on.172114/page-29

Link to current recruiting discussion thread...
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...-verbally-committed-and-or-signed-nli.270782/

Last edited:
Reactions: mphawk
How does 11-7 BIG sound.
That is a positive outlook. Certainly better than what could reasonably be expected with the circumstances. 12-6 is probably the absolute best anyone could hope for.

Although it will be nearly impossible to replicate the success of this past years’ team, it should still be an exciting season nonetheless. I am interested to see who will be the new starters and especially, the next back-ups to step up into those roles. With the returning experience at guard and the young talent returning and coming in, this team next season will have a very different look and style of play, but should be able to make huge improvements from the beginning to the end. They also are due for their summer foreign trip which will provide them with extra time practicing and playing together which should help immensely.

I have faith that they can win another 20 games next year and return to the NCAA tournament. Go Hawks.

Last edited:
Though the guards are experienced, I don't look for an end to their inconsistency. As recently as the Mercer game, Doyle had to be pulled early to settle down, and against Baylor, Meyer went back to shooting 0-fer. Sevillian is Sevillian. But there will be games where they're all on, and that will be fun. :)

They also are due for their summer foreign trip which will provide them with extra time practicing and playing together which should help immensely. I have faith that they can win another 20 games next year and return to the NCAA tournament. Go Hawks.

Lisa announced at the banquet on Sunday that they will be going to Spain, Paula's home. I don't ever expect Paula to make an on-court contribution, but she definitely is a well-liked part of the team and culture. Several players talked about her in their remarks.

And this is a great year for the foreign trip. I can't wait to see how this bunch reintegrates and is motivated to build on the success and leadership of the outgoing seniors. All three raved about this year's freshmen behind the scenes.

Lisa told a funny story about Kate Martin. Even though she couldn't play because of the ACL tear, she had an impact on the team. Lisa brought in a group called The Program to do a grueling day of military-style training exercises so the players could see what happened when they pushed their limits to the extreme. The players were split into teams of three to do a two-person carry at Kinnick for 21, then 41, 61, 81 and 101 yards. At the end, the instructor asked Kate to decide what distance the team had to do it again. She said 101, which the instructor said no one had ever said before. They took that as a challenge and said it showed Kate's leadership ability, as well as a turning point for the season. I don't expect this group to take a step back in leadership next year.

Edit: If you have never been to the post-season banquet, it is well worth it. The three seniors' speeches were amazingly eloquent and heartfelt.

Last edited:
Quote:
JAMAM HR All-State
I expect more guard play next year, more balance.
2 Mar 12, 2019

I agree that there is almost certainty we shall see more balance in scoring. I would add that they will play even faster, more in transition, with more possessions and with higher FG attempts per game. They will shoot more threes and FG % will naturally decline. Their offensive style will have an important impact on offensive rebounding. I would also guess that they will use their bench for more minutes.

Last edited:
Is there information on an unannounced public scrimmage yet? We don't have an insider like oakhawk to "leak" the information now.

Women's Basketball 11/14/2018
WBB Inks 3 Standouts on National Signing Day

Bios for the three freshmen arriving for the fall:

Gabbie Marshall | 5-9 | Guard Cincinnati, Ohio Mount Notre Dame
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dr-jtpFU0AAqSuT.jpg

Megan Meyer | 5-8 | Guard Mason City, Iowa Mason City

McKenna Warnock | 6-1 | G/F Marshall, Wisconsin Monona Grove

"We welcome Gabbie, Megan and McKenna to our Hawkeye family," said Bluder. "All three are versatile guards that can handle and shoot the ball well. Megan and McKenna both won national AAU championships this summer while Gabbie comes from a legendary high school and AAU program in Cincinnati. They are tremendous players, but even better young women that will complement our culture here at Iowa."
Lisa Bluder

https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2018...inks-3-standouts-on-national-signing-day.aspx

I share coach Bluder’s enthusiasm for the three new freshmen. I believe they are all three very capable players that will have very successful careers at Iowa.

It is interesting that she views McKenna as a guard. McKenna certainly is relatively quick and very agile for her size. Her strength looks to be good also. I would say she is similar to both Logan and Amanda. All three are similar in height and in offensive skills. All three can post low and extend to beyond the three point line to shoot or dribble drive penetrate. All three should be considered for replacing Hannah’s position. With a possibility that they will need to also play a backup role behind Monica who is the ‘heir apparent’ to Megan [the Great] G, McKenna has an tremendous opportunity (along with Logan) to make a name for herself in the post rotation.

The two ‘combinition’ guards are as equally reason-for-optimism as McKenna. Both are very similar to each other and to Kathleen and Makenzie. However due to the extremely capable experience returning and some important game experience from the bench last year, plus the addition of Kate Martin (I have read rave comments and even seen some impressive film of her), Gabby and Megan are likely to be ‘toward the end of the bench’. These two will undoubtedly have much more important roles in the following season so I think it is important that they get valuable playing time this season.

I am optimistic that these three will have outstanding careers at Iowa and I believe that their early success this season will provide some necessary contributions to exceed team expectations.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Who do we expect to be the top teams in the Big Ten next year? Maryland seems like an obvious favorite, but after that there are question marks.

Iowa, Rutgers, Michigan, Michigan State, and Minnesota all lose arguably their best player. Ohio State has a loaded freshman class, but how quickly will they adjust to the college game? Will Nebraska, Purdue, Indiana, or Northwestern take a significant step forward?

Reactions: cyberhawk
This coming season the highly ranked senior class has a huge opportunity to prove themselves as leaders. I was really encouraged to see McKenize Meyer attack the basket, draw fouls, & even shoot some pull ups off screens in the tournament. Kathleen Doyle is the heart, soul, the unquestioned leader of the team & poised to have a big all-around senior season. I hope her fire & spirit rub off on the rest of the team. I am most interested in how Amanda Ollinger fairs in an expanded role. She is athletic, rebounds well, has shown a mid-range game, but can she convert inside opposite of Monika Czinano?

From the underclassmen I felt Kate Martin would have carved out a nice role on this past seasons team, excited to see what she brings now she is healthy. Alexis Sevillian has been be so up/down & turnover prone but has a lot of experience but where does she fit? Tomi Taiwo isn't shy about shooting the ball & has shown she can get to the basket too which is a nice dimension the team can use. Monika should be strong inside but fouling will be a concern, I think she will surprise many as playing against & learning from Megan everyday was invaluable. Coach J has proven she can develop posts so I could see her averaging nearly 10/12 & 10 possibly.

The BIG is going to be tough next season - Maryland is loaded with Rutgers, Ohio St, Indiana, Michigan St (on paper at least) all look strong. Indiana could very well surprise as they have good on court leadership & more depth coming in. I'd put Iowa in with Nebraska, Michigan, & Purdue as the next group going around 10-8 or 9-9, anything better I'd be ecstatic. But they will play quicker which should be entertaining.

Their going to have to develop a backup point guard next season, that can take over in 20-21. I see either Megan or Gabbie seeing minutes. I've read where Marten can play the 1-3 position, but can she really play the point in college. I know Lisa doesn't like to redshirt a player except due to injury, but if Megan and Gabbie is going to be on the end of the bench then maybe one of them should redshirt instead of wasting a season on a minute or two per game average.

Any hints about the schedule? I don't think we even know what holiday tournament they are going to, do we?

Any hints about the schedule? I don't think we even know what holiday tournament they are going to, do we?
The non conference, holiday tournament and B1G/ACC challenge will all likely be announced separately at later dates. Dates, times and tv for the conference slate will similarly be announced later.

Last edited:
Lisa announced at the banquet on Sunday that they will be going to Spain, Paula's home. I don't ever expect Paula to make an on-court contribution, but she definitely is a well-liked part of the team and culture. Several players talked about her in their remarks.

And this is a great year for the foreign trip. I can't wait to see how this bunch reintegrates and is motivated to build on the success and leadership of the outgoing seniors. All three raved about this year's freshmen behind the scenes.

Lisa told a funny story about Kate Martin. Even though she couldn't play because of the ACL tear, she had an impact on the team. Lisa brought in a group called The Program to do a grueling day of military-style training exercises so the players could see what happened when they pushed their limits to the extreme. The players were split into teams of three to do a two-person carry at Kinnick for 21, then 41, 61, 81 and 101 yards. At the end, the instructor asked Kate to decide what distance the team had to do it again. She said 101, which the instructor said no one had ever said before. They took that as a challenge and said it showed Kate's leadership ability, as well as a turning point for the season. I don't expect this group to take a step back in leadership next year.

Edit: If you have never been to the post-season banquet, it is well worth it. The three seniors' speeches were amazingly eloquent and heartfelt.
Thanks Mohawk for that informative and time consuming comment.

I’m sure Paula is a tremendous person, has a great attitude and is a much respected, appreciated, and admired teammate. I really hope she can step up to a more important game time role, but even if she never does, her contributions to the team off the court probably will never be given too much credit.

I am wondering if there were any definitive details mentioned regarding their foreign trip to Spain.

Kate is intriguing. Whether she can play 1 or 4 (in addition to 2-3), is a matter of interesting discussion and friendly debate, but I would guess given the roster that she will fit into the 3. The raves of her are more for her athleticism, defense, basketball IQ, attitude and leadership. I think she might have an important role putting pressure on the opponent’s best wings. I am eager to see how well she does.

Last edited:
No other details were given, just that they were going to visit Paula's home.
I would guess that they would begin their allowed practices in mid to late July and travel early to mid August. I await further news. It will certainly make for some interesting discussion later.

Thanks Mohawk for that informative and time consuming comment.

I’m sure Paula is a tremendous person, has a great attitude and is a much respected, appreciated, and admired teammate. I really hope she can step up to a more important game time role, but even if she never does, her contributions to the team off the court probably will never be given too much credit.

I am wondering if there were any definitive details mentioned regarding their foreign trip to Spain.

Kate is intriguing. Whether she can play 1 or 4 (in addition to 2-3), is a matter of interesting discussion and friendly debate, but I would guess given the roster that she will fit the into the 3. The raves of her are more for her athleticism, defense, basketball IQ, attitude and leadership. I think she might have an important role putting pressure on the opponent’s best wings. I am eager to see how well she does.

One thing I've really liked about Iowa's offense the past couple years (I didn't watch enough before that) is that all three guards handled the ball quite a bit. Essentially, Iowa had three point guards on the floor at all times, meaning there was less pressure on any one of them than there would be in other offenses (see Jordan Bohannon with the Iowa men).

Kate will fit well into that system. She can handle the ball and pass just fine, but her game probably isn't suited to being the primary point guard for 25-30 minutes per night. At Iowa, she can still handle the ball a lot without being forced into a primary point guard role, because that role doesn't really exist in the offense.

Historically the offense has had 3 players who can bring the ball up & get things started. Kachine Alexander & Jaimie Printy often brought the ball up allowing Kamille Wahlin or Sam Logic to play off the ball just as MacKenzie Meyer often does now. I saw Kate Martin in high school once she has good handles, better than Sevillian, but she is better playing off the ball.

I agree with "brfhilltop" that even though Lisa doesn't like to redshirt players it makes sense to consider it with whichever incoming point guard (Marshall or Meyer) doesn't win the back-up spot. Lisa did it with Sevillian saying there was just no playing time for her & she is a real talent.

Their going to have to develop a backup point guard next season, that can take over in 20-21. I see either Megan or Gabbie seeing minutes. I've read where Marten can play the 1-3 position, but can she really play the point in college. I know Lisa doesn't like to redshirt a player except due to injury, but if Megan and Gabbie is going to be on the end of the bench then maybe one of them should redshirt instead of wasting a season on a minute or two per game average.
Some times I agree that a red-shirt should be a consideration. In this case I believe it would depend upon the final outcome of the 2020 recruiting class. Iowa recently received a verbal pledge from native Minnesota guard Lauren Jensen and are still in consideration by at least two or more 2020 guards, reportedly including Caitlin Clark. If Iowa were to get even one more of the guards, it might not make sense to red-shirt one of the two possible point guard candidate in this freshman class. Furthermore, if that one more was Clark, I believe she would immediately step into the primary point guard starting position. Of course this is all just speculation and still neglects the normal tendency of Lisa to not red-shirt.

I agree with you cyberhawk but currently there is no PG commit for 2020 so I based my statement on the facts before me. Now by the time the season tips off we should know if one or both of those pg's commits. This year we started 2 pg's in Davis and Doyle which I thought worked out well and could be done more often depending on the personal.

I believe just judging from what little film I have seen of her, Gabby has an edge to her defense similar to Kathleen. Tenacious pressure. Mt Notre Dame, where she (and former Hawkeye and current AC Kathleen Reynolds) prepped, is a perennial power in the state of Ohio. She was their leader. My guess is that she will back-up Kathleen. Of course Megan is similar to her sister and would be a logical back-up to Makenzie.

Since the two seniors will each get at least three quarters to 99% of the clock, that will leave relatively few minutes per game for the two freshmen.

I believe Lexi will remain in her role coming off the bench for Kathleen and Makenzie (particularly later in the games), because she seemingly brings ‘a spark’ to the team in those tough situations and has thrived in that role through out her career. If that were to play out, the two freshmen might be limited even more and to only the first half.

However Iowa decides to go at the ‘3’, will factor into their minutes also. (That’s a entire other discussion). Suffice it to say that IMO the battle there will likely be between Zion, Tomi T, and Kate M. Speaking of Kate IMO, I believe she could possibly play point in certain limited special circumstances, but not very likely, at least not for this next season. I believe the same is true for Tomi.

Last edited:
I also think Makenna Warnock will be in the mix at the three spot. Good defender and rebounder. Greatly improved her 3 point shooting last year.

I believe just judging from what little film I have seen of her, Gabby has an edge to her defense similar to Kathleen. Tenacious pressure. Mt Notre Dame, where she (and former Hawkeye and current AC Kathleen Reynolds) prepped, is a perennial power in the state of Ohio. She was their leader. My guess is that she will back-up Kathleen. Of course Megan is similar to her sister and would be a logical back-up to Makenzie.

Since the two seniors will each get at least three quarters to 99% of the clock, that will leave relatively few minutes per game for the two freshmen.

I believe Lexi will remain in her role coming off the bench for Kathleen and Makenzie (particularly later in the games), because she seemingly brings ‘a spark’ to the team in those tough situations and has thrived in that role through out her career. If that were to play out, the two freshmen might be limited even more and to only the first half.

However Iowa decides to go at the ‘3’, will factor into their minutes also. (That’s a entire other discussion). Suffice it to say that IMO the battle there will likely be between Zion, Tomi T, and Kate M. Speaking of Kate IMO, I believe she could possibly play point in certain limited special circumstances, but not very likely, at least not for this next season. I believe the same is true for Tomi.

I agree with Cyber, the time I saw Gabby she was very smooth and anticipated well on defense creating several turn-overs. She battled through several injuries which affected her overall ranking I believe. Megan is a different player than her sister MacKenzie as (Megan) is a point guard with better ball handling skills who will have to learn when to shoot and when to pass at this level. Between Megan and Gabby, Megan is a better scorer while Gabby is a better shooter.

EspnW
Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2019-20

4. Maryland Terrapins
With most of its rotation players back and two top-20 recruits on the way, the Terrapins will be the big favorite to win the Big Ten championship for the fifth time in six seasons. Kaila Charles (17.0 PPG, 6.7 RPG) will be on plenty of preseason All-America lists, Taylor Mikesell could be one of the country's best 3-point shooters (41.1 percent) and 6-5 Shakira Austin has the potential to average a double-double in her second season. Ashley Owusu out of Virginia represents the top prep point guard prospect in the country.

7. UConn Huskies

13. Michigan State Spartans
Jenna Allen (12.5 PPG, 6.5 RPG), the heart and soul of the team, is gone, but she was the only senior on the roster. The Spartans shook off some early injuries to make a return to the NCAA tournament. With a full season from guard Shay Colley (14.1 PPG), plus the continued development of freshman guard Nia Clouden (12.0 PPG, 3.9 APG), Michigan State should be in position to challenge Maryland for Big Ten supremacy.

17. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

18. Minnesota Golden Gophers
Lindsay Whalen's first season as head coach at her alma mater ended in the second round of the WNIT, but despite the loss of top scorer Kenisha Bell (19.1 PPG, 4.4 APG), the Gophers could be set for better things next season. Destiny Pitts (16.3 PPG, 81 3-pointers), Taiye Bello (9.7 PPG, team-high 11.9 rebounds) and Jasmine Brunson (8.4 PPG) are back. The final piece to a return to the NCAA tournament will be the health of guard Gadiva Hubbard, who averaged 13.6 PPG as a sophomore in 2017-18 but missed all of last season because of a foot injury.

21. Michigan Wolverines
Coach Kim Barnes Arico returns freshmen Naz Hillmon (13.1 PPG, 7.0 RPG), the team's leading scorer and rebounder, and Amy Dilk (4.4 APG), who led the Wolverines in assists, as she looks to build on the momentum of an 8-1 finish in the regular season followed by a first-round NCAA tournament win.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...escu-oregon-lead-way-too-early-top-25-2019-20

Reactions: iamia
I agree with Cyber, the time I saw Gabby she was very smooth and anticipated well on defense creating several turn-overs. She battled through several injuries which affected her overall ranking I believe. Megan is a different player than her sister MacKenzie as (Megan) is a point guard with better ball handling skills who will have to learn when to shoot and when to pass at this level. Between Megan and Gabby, Megan is a better scorer while Gabby is a better shooter.
What do you think might be the effects on Iowa (if any)of that 5 million gift to the Drake's women's basketball program. Help Drake with in-state recruiting? Other?

The gift while good for Drake will help them but not against ISU or Iowa as far as recruiting IMHO.

Reactions: mphawk
IOWA WOMEN’S BASKETBALL
Bluder, staff sculpt new-look Hawkeyes

[...]
"We’ll be a different looking team next season, but the culture will still be there," Bluder said. "That part of it doesn’t change."
[...]
Bluder said. "We’ve had success with four out and one in before, and I think we’re excited about the possibilities." "We have the perimeter players to make that work, and at this point, I feel like that’s where we are headed heading into next season,"
[...]
"Every year, things are at least a little different and figuring out how to put it all together and make it work, that’s coaching," Bluder said. "We’ve been talking about it for nearly a month now as a staff. [...]”

The Hawkeyes will get an early opportunity to test things out. Iowa begins the first of its practices prior to the foreign trip it is allowed to take once every four years in a little over a month. The Hawkeyes will travel to Spain in early August, and with a significant amount of roster turnover, including the addition of four freshmen [including red-shirt Kate Martin] to the program, Bluder believes this is the perfect time for that trip to occur.

https://qctimes.com/users/profile/Steve Batterson

Reactions: JAMAM
Great for Kathleen and a wonderful experience. She will be the glue for this team this coming season.

Kathleen makes the Pan-American team!

(does she miss the Spain trip?)
Practice for the Pan Am games starts July 23 - Aug 5 with the games in Peru running from August 6-10. Haven't seen dates for the teams Spain trip other than "early August." If they overlap perhaps she could join the team once she wraps up with Team USA.

Link to Bluder mentioning Spain trip...
https://qctimes.com/sports/basketba...e_276d8472-7b7d-5681-87c2-3be1ec26d315.html#1

I’m expecting Caitlin Clark to immediately play 32mpg :)

Reactions: keosauquahawk
Have seen a lot of recruiting surprises over the years, both good and bad. Particularly after the Jinaya Houston situation, I don't count on anyone until they show up in uniform for regular season games.

Did Caitlin commit? I don't consider them unless their committed or signed.
Counting your chicks before they hatch or getting the cart ahead of the horse. Just speculating I would guess that Caitlin is at best a 50/50 prospect.

ADVERTISEMENT