ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2019-20 Season in general

Here's my recap of the Michigan State game. A day to celebrate Megan. To celebrate solo first place in the Big Ten. And to look ahead at good things to come.

Glad Warnock finally had her big breakout game. I think we'll see a lot more like that one for years to come. Doyle didn't shoot well, but otherwise had another solid game. Hopefully Monika isn't out too long. We've been really lucky on the injury front so far this year.

https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-...-state-57-the-past-the-present-and-the-future

Reactions: LinusPF
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/womens-basketball/bracketology

Still hovering at #4 seed for NCAA. Very early still but it would be great to seem them at hosting the first weekend again!!!

Would be great indeed but all bets are off now with Czinano out for an extended period. Warnock will slide into the starting lineup and be effective, but their margin for error is down to zero now. Maybe this is Kate Martin's time to finally be a key cog now.

Reactions: WB67hawk
The Megan ceremony is also at the end of the game that was on BTN plus for those that subscribe.

Kate has been wearing the brace all year, so I don't know if she needs it physically or mentally.

Kate is going to be able to give minutes the next couple weeks. I am hoping Czinano will be able to go February 14th. The way Warnock played, we should be able to hold on the next 4 games playing slightly inferior teams. Even still will likely be a battle each game. If Warnock is beginning to turn the corner in confidence, could be an additional weapon down the stretch.

Reactions: mphawk
4 of the next 5 on the road, at PSU, Michigan, home w/Nebraska, on the road Purdue then Maryland. I don't see anything easy there. Hopefully we can beat Nebraska at home, but I thought after MSU got hammered at home, yesterday would be fairly easy, but nope.

Reactions: Hawkfan5220
4 of the next 5 on the road, at PSU, Michigan, home w/Nebraska, on the road Purdue then Maryland. I don't see anything easy there. Hopefully we can beat Nebraska at home, but I thought after MSU got hammered at home, yesterday would be fairly easy, but nope.

Depends, If warnock plays 30 minutes like she did the last 10 minutes each game, we have an extremely dynamic product to put on the floor.

Warnock playing more should help our rebounding. Of course, depth will be a serious issue if there's fouls trouble but perhaps Martin can step up on D and rebounding as well. I think Iowa will play more 5 out now so that should create more driving lanes for perimeter players. Tall slow posts will be challenged guarding Warnock on the arc and she proved she can take the ball of the dribble. I'm not suggesting this is a positive by any means but pointing out a few positives. Hoping for a quick recovery for Czinano.

The Megan ceremony is also at the end of the game that was on BTN plus for those that subscribe.

Kate has been wearing the brace all year, so I don't know if she needs it physically or mentally.
I just googled the ceremony and got to watch it free.

Reactions: BGHAWK
When Monika comes back, I'd like to see Iowa try Warnock at the 3 position some. Clearly she needs more minutes, but Ollinger covers for Czinano's weaknesses too well to take many from her.

If we're playing 2-3 zone, Warnock at the 3 shouldn't impact the defense much, because she'd play her normal position in the zone. She would add significantly to the rebounding effort, which will be a huge need against Maryland in particular. And offensively, she might be our best three-point shooter and is already perimeter oriented.

I like your idea Braydon. But for that to happen I think Kate Martin and or Logan Cook would need to take a big step forward. Or it could hurt the rotation down low against a team like Maryland. The bench only scored 2 points last night against one of the poorer teams in the BIG.

I like your idea Braydon. But for that to happen I think Kate Martin and or Logan Cook would need to take a big step forward. Or it could hurt the rotation down low against a team like Maryland. The bench only scored 2 points last night against one of the poorer teams in the BIG.

If I were implementing it, I don't think I'd actually change the forward rotation much. Right now, Warnock is averaging around 15 minutes per game, all as a forward. I'd like to see her at 25 minutes. I'd play her those additional 10 minutes at the 3 in place of Alexis/Gabbie/Tomi.

Against Maryland specifically, I think I'd just play Ollinger and Warnock at the forward positions more. Maryland's size and athleticism neutralizes Monika's post offense, and just kills her on the defensive end.

I follow you now. Maryland is going to be a tough one. They are playing good ball right now, and we can't count on them missing shots like they did in I.C. Not only are they tall but they are athletic. If they want they can go with Charles 6-1, Jones 6-3, and Austin 6-5. If we go to stop them inside then we got to worry about Mikesell and others lighting it up from outside. Last game Lisa said they went to stop Mikesell from going off on them from outside. Hope I'm wrong but I just don't see us winning this game.
If Maryland is to lose another game in the regular season, I think Iowa is the only team to do it.

Reactions: crstuff
. . .
If Maryland is to lose another game in the regular season, I think Iowa is the only team to do it.

IMO Maryland at Indiana is a much more losable game for Maryland than Maryland vs Iowa at Maryland. Apart from location, Indiana is a better athletic match for Maryland than Iowa.

Indiana lost at Maryland by 14, but they trailed Maryland by 30 after 3 quarters of play. Indiana does not match up well at all against Maryland. But anything can happen that is why they they play the game.

I agree the key to the remainder of the season is how much help the bench can provide. Last night would have been the perfect opportunity for the reserves to take some of the load off the starters but it didn't happen. Iowa's starters played 30-35 minutes, while the bench played only a total of 32 minutes and scored two points. Penn State's bench played 76 minutes and scored 21 points. Coach Bluder tried to substitute at the start of the 4th quarter with a 20 point lead but ended up having to put tired starters back in when Penn State (1-9 record) went on a run. That shouldn't have to happen with a much tougher road game coming up on Sunday at Michigan.

Way too early to be thinking about Maryland. The next three are all going to be difficult. Never seem to play well at Michigan or Purdue...and Nebby bookending our home winning streak would SUUUCK!

Avenging last year's loss at Michigan -- rescheduled Friday morning game that Iowa never woke up for -- would be awesome.

Saw this coming a mile away for the women.
No, you didn't......

"No, no I didn't. But a guy and a gal I know, they saw this coming FOR SURE!!!"

1dworHW.gif

Reactions: crstuff
We had no answer for Hillmon - they penetrated our zone with ease, and Ollinger battled but just couldn't stop her one on one. Not sure a healthy Czinano would have made much difference. Have to give credit to them for really strong defensive effort in the first half, very disruptive - we had to work just to get shots, while Hillmon was getting layups on their end. Be interesting to see how we try to defend them if we meet in the tournament, at this time we just don't match up inside.

I thought Martin looked pretty good, this was the first I've seen of her that backed up what I'd been hearing last year. Maybe feeling better and more confident with her knee. My guess she'll be getting regular minutes next season and maybe the rest of this season. Bummer about the fouls but we were trying to climb out of the hole and had to gamble. Could have used better games from Taiwo and Marshall, though Sanders did OK in a rare appearance.

Reactions: cyberhawk
At least Sevillian stepped up again. Without her it would have been as ugly as the UNI loss. Coach Jensen seemed to concede in the post game interview that Michigan out coached Iowa today.

At least Sevillian stepped up again. Without her it would have been as ugly as the UNI loss. Coach Jensen seemed to concede in the post game interview that Michigan out coached Iowa today.
I would defintely agree with your comments especially being out coached. But, with the exception Sevillian and Doyle the rest of the players played poorly IMO.

As some have mentioned, games like today are why Iowa needs to have a press defense of some sort. It almost certainly wouldn't have won today's game, but it would've made things more interesting when Iowa cut the lead below double digits late.

According to Charlie Creme, Iowa was a 2 seed heading into Sunday, but the loss at Michigan knocked them back to a 3 seed. Three other Big Ten teams are projected to be 4 seeds. Tough road ahead with away games at Purdue, Maryland and Rutgers. Maintaining a 3 seed will be difficult. On the other hand, the opportunity is there for Iowa to get back to a 2 seed like last year. That will really be a remarkable thing.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college...8/who-top-16-seeds-women-basketball-right-now

ADVERTISEMENT