ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2019-20 Season in general

There should be extra motivation for Minnesota to beat Maryland. Lindsay Whalen played under Brenda Frese in the one year that she coached the Gophers. Last year's game was very close but Minnesota had an epic collapse -- cost Iowa's regular season Big Ten championship. Hope they do better this time around. Coach Bluder seemed to give Whalen some words of encouragement at the handshake line:)

By the way it's been less than two years since Whalen stopped playing basketball. She really should start practicing with her players to get back in shape.

1 more win should wrap up a top 16 seed in the NCAA Tourney. Would be nice to get that victory today at Rutgers and take the pressure off for Indianapolis.

Last edited:
12 turnovers in 15 minutes, down by only 4. Rutgers has a dozen offensive rebounds as well. Hawkeye look intimidated. Maybe worst 15 minutes of big ten play.

Did the light come on for Gabbie Marshall today? 6-10 from 3pt. 4-4 from the charity strip, for a total of 22pts. 3 steals and best of all 0 turnovers in 29 mins. I thought she was moving well on the offensive and defensive side of play. Gabbie actually looked like she belonged out there on the court. I sure hope this game gives her the confidence needed to play like this moving forward.

Reactions: Hawkfan5220
Doyle & Meyer combine for 12 turnovers :(
Yea, I don't know how Lisa can tolerate it. My old ball coach couldn't tolerate three things, missed layups, missed free throws, and turnovers, especially from guards. Guards were to be ball handlers and ball handlers don't turn the ball over.

Would think we still have a good shot at hosting the opening round of the NCAA regardless of how things go in the B10. The WBB powers that be in the NCAA like attendance.

Reactions: brfhilltop
Yea, I don't know how Lisa can tolerate it. My old ball coach couldn't tolerate three things, missed layups, missed free throws, and turnovers, especially from guards. Guards were to be ball handlers and ball handlers don't turn the ball over.

Not to be complaining about the success the last couple of seasons, but I wish someone in the media would bring this up with Bluder.

Reactions: brfhilltop
Teams get rattled especially on the road and need seniors to settle things down. The seniors have led and carried the team in most games. This wasn't one of them. In addition to turnovers it was a poor rebounding effort, yet we took a tourney team to overtime on the road. This was a winnable game if we played well but we didn't.

Yet this group of seniors have won more games in 4 years than any other 4 year group under Bluder. Could be better, could be worse.

Reactions: cyberhawk
It seemed that in a lot of the post feed attempts the passer expected Czinano to meet the ball at a spot, but Czinano is not as nimble as Gustafson, while the passers were still expecting her to come out as quickly as Gustafson. Hopefully she will improve next season, and besides Caitlin Clark will have never played with Gustafson so won't have the old habits.

Reactions: 2319 and mphawk
Glad that Marshall is returning to her preseason form. Hit 6 three-pointers today. Just to think, 6 is Makenzie Meyer's career high in four seasons. I wonder if Marshall will earn a Freshman of the Week honor, though in the Minnesota game she didn't play much. Anyway, Marshall and Warnock both having a good freshman season without even being starters bodes very well for the future.

It seemed that in a lot of the post feed attempts the passer expected Czinano to meet the ball at a spot, but Czinano is not as nimble as Gustafson, while the passers were still expecting her to come out as quickly as Gustafson. Hopefully she will improve next season, and besides Caitlin Clark will have never played with Gustafson so won't have the old habits.

I saw a few of those, Monika had good position but the passer didn't have the correct angle. Improving their position by taking a single dribble to the right/left & then entering the ball would have eliminated those turnovers. Monika doesn't have as good of hands as Megan did, some of the awful passes her last two years she hauled in & scored on amazed me.

Not to be complaining about the success the last couple of seasons, but I wish someone in the media would bring this up with Bluder.
I am sure she is aware, but what are the options. Bench Doyle and Mac and put in backups with less size and consistency. Doyle is not only our best ball handler , but our best defensive and rebounding guard. Mac would be next. When your best players aren't playing well it's hard to win

Reactions: BGHAWK
A poster in another thread said that Iowa leads the big in assists and assists to turnovers. So I went back to see what the assists and turnovers where in the games lost and games won. In the games we lost we had more turnovers than assists except @ Northern Iowa they were even at 11 & 11. And in the games we won we had more assists than turnovers except for 3 games. Florida Atlantic, Maryland, and Michigan St. But they also had more turnovers than assists.
I also checked on the rebounds. We were out rebounded in the games lost except @ Nebraska. What surprised me was in the games won we got out rebounded 9 times. Cincinnati, @ Iowa St, Drake, Maryland, Indiana, @ Minn., @ Wis., @ Penn St., @ Purdue. Cincinnati was on a neutral court.

A poster in another thread said that Iowa leads the big in assists and assists to turnovers. So I went back to see what the assists and turnovers where in the games lost and games won. In the games we lost we had more turnovers than assists except @ Northern Iowa they were even at 11 & 11. And in the games we won we had more assists than turnovers except for 3 games. Florida Atlantic, Maryland, and Michigan St. But they also had more turnovers than assists.
I also checked on the rebounds. We were out rebounded in the games lost except @ Nebraska. What surprised me was in the games won we got out rebounded 9 times. Cincinnati, @ Iowa St, Drake, Maryland, Indiana, @ Minn., @ Wis., @ Penn St., @ Purdue. Cincinnati was on a neutral court.

Iowa's lack of defensive rebounding are giving teams 2 and 3 or more possessions multiple times and the other team many times end up scoring. The assist to turnovers are great, but that doesn't excuse them from making just terrible passes that get picked off. I've seen a few this year (every year) where it seems they are just passing to the opposing player. Frustrating.

Many of our turnovers(not all of them) are situations where players are trying to feed the post. Clearly coaches want perimeter players to get the ball inside and sometimes the result is a turnover. I don't think you'd see those types of turnovers if coaches weren't really getting players focused on getting the ball inside even when it's not always there.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Iowa is the #13 team in NCAA's final reveal of top 16 teams. Maryland is #4 and Northwestern #9. Iowa and Northwestern have a lot to play in the Big Ten tournament, when hopefully they meet in the semifinal.

So may need to win Friday night to wrap up a top 16 seed.

Doyle is the BIG POY (both coaches and media). Well deserved.
Wow - listening to several of the analysts from this past weekend, Kathleen was the second choice of a few. Maybe they didn’t have a vote; I really don’t know. After Sunday, I’m sort of surprised. Guirantes from Rutgers had a great season, and outplayed Doyle on Sunday. It doesn’t matter now, and I am very happy for Kathleen!

https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2020/3/2/womens-basketball-doyle-named-b1g-player-of-the-year.aspx

Other pleasant surprises ------ Monika first team media and McKenna all-freshman team.
I am very happy for Monika and McKenna! Given the parity in the B1G this season, I don’t believe these choices were clear-cut for the voters
Wow - listening to several of the analysts from this past weekend, Kathleen was the second choice of a few. Maybe they didn’t have a vote; I really don’t know. After Sunday, I’m sort of surprised. Guirantes from Rutgers had a great season, and outplayed Doyle on Sunday. It doesn’t matter now, and I am very happy for Kathleen!

So now I’m thinking my reply is rather uninformed after looking at a few articles and stats, so please ignore (I’m sure many of you have, but a few may feel the need to comment).

Reactions: LinusPF
I was afraid Pulliam would get PotY because Northwestern came out of nowhere just like Iowa did, but has less recent success. That was probably what tipped the Coach of the Year award to McKeown. One thing that might've helped Doyle is her defense. She's been the best defender on the team for years. Defense is something the stat comparisons don't necessarily show, but that coaches especially would be very aware of.

As for seeding, I was pleasantly surprised to see Iowa at #13. Even if Iowa were to lose in its first game Friday, a lot would have to go wrong around the country to drop below a 4 seed. There's also a lot to be gained. A win in the semifinal might be enough to grab a 3 seed without needing to beat Maryland in the final.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Megan's freshman year: 33 games, 22.5 minutes, .554fg%, 10.7 pts average
Megan's sophomore year: 34 games, 20.9 minutes, .647fg%, 18.5 pts average

Monica's sophomore year: 29 games, 26.7 minutes, .699fg%, 15.6 pts average

I think Monica's stats compare pretty well with Megan's since this was her first year of any significant playing time. I would have thought that Megan would have average more points in her sophomore year than than she did.

I assume these are accurate since they are on hawkeyesports.com Of course Monica has at least a couple more games yet this year.

Last edited:
Megan's sophomore year: 34 games, 20.9 minutes, .647fg%, 10.5 pts average

I think Monica's stats compare pretty well with Megan's since this was her first year of any significant playing time. I would have thought that Megan would have average more points in her sophomore year than than she did.

I assume these are accurate since they are on hawkeyesports.com Of course Monica has at least a couple more games yet this year.
Gustafson was playing alongside Chase Coley, so it's understandable that she did not get more minutes at the post position.

Megan's sophomore year: 34 games, 20.9 minutes, .647fg%, 10.5 pts average

The final stats I see for Megan's sophomore year show here averaging 18.5 points per game and 28.9 minutes per game. Those track a lot better with my memory. Here's a link: https://hawkeyesports.com/documents/2017/12/5//2016_Stats.pdf?id=19363

Warnock starts vs. Ohio State because Ollinger was in a minor car accident a couple of days ago and is stiff.

ADVERTISEMENT