ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2019-20 Season in general

I'll have more on this whenever my recap goes up, but Indiana and Kentucky are the teams to watch. They are the likely 5 seeds with a chance to substantially improve their resumes in conference tournaments. There are a couple other mid-majors too, but even if they win their conference tournaments it won't improve their resumes all that much.

Edit: here's the recap: https://www.goiowaawesome.com/iowa-...hio-state-87-19-iowa-66-the-nightmare-quarter

Last edited:
I'll have more on this whenever my recap goes up, but Indiana and Kentucky are the teams to watch. They are the likely 5 seeds with a chance to substantially improve their resumes in conference tournaments. There are a couple other mid-majors too, but even if they win their conference tournaments it won't improve their resumes all that much.
I think Iowa sunk enough last night that other teams don't have to improve their resume. They just have to hold serve. I think Missouri St and Indiana have both jumped us. Missouri St. probably only has to make the Valley final and Indiana only needs to have a good showing tonight. Both have better RPIs and both draw well.

I think Ohio St. is a team to watch too. If they were to make it to the finals and then really push Maryland, that might convince the committee OSU is just playing out of their mind right now.

I think Iowa sunk enough last night that other teams don't have to improve their resume. They just have to hold serve. I think Missouri St and Indiana have both jumped us. Missouri St. probably only has to make the Valley final and Indiana only needs to have a good showing tonight. Both have better RPIs and both draw well.

I think Ohio St. is a team to watch too. If they were to make it to the finals and then really push Maryland, that might convince the committee OSU is just playing out of their mind right now.

Do you mean for Ohio State to host or just to make the NCAA's?

I disagree. The only results not factored in by the Committee are Iowa's loss to Ohio State and anything Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri State etc. do in the conference tournament. The Ohio State loss certainly looks bad because of the score, but Ohio State is #18 in the RPI. Iowa's huge loss to Maryland or the loss to Rutgers earlier in the year didn't drop it 4 lines in the Committee's projections.

As for other teams, Indiana's win was over #47 Rutgers. Kentucky's was over #60 Tennessee. The best two teams Missouri State could possibly beat are #44 Bradley and #24 Drake. If Indiana and Kentucky don't win today, I don't see any way they jump Iowa. Maybe Missouri State would if it beats two top 50 teams to win the conference tournament, but I'd still say that's less likely than not.

Do you mean for Ohio State to host or just to make the NCAA's?
More of an eyeball test thing...If OSU blows out Michigan tonight and pushes Maryland Sunday, the loss last night doesn't look as bad. On the other hand, if Michigan clobbers OSU, last night's loss looks even worse.

Reactions: carrier9
Florida St. upsets #1 Louisville. Creme projects them a #6 seed now. They win the ACC tournament I can see them sneaking in to a #4.

Florida St. upsets #1 Louisville. Creme projects them a #6 seed now. They win the ACC tournament I can see them sneaking in to a #4.

Its possible, but as someone else mentioned attendance matters when hosting & Florida St. draws under 3,000 per game. Iowa is well over 7,000 & last year drew over 10,000 per game in hosting 2 NCAA games. When Florida St. players played in Iowa City two seasons ago their players in post game interviews said they wished they had Iowa's fan support. Missouri St. won't host but just might end up in Iowa City.

Indiana and Kentucky both fall by double digits against good opponents. I don't think either substantially improved their resume in the conference tournament, and I don't expect either to jump Iowa for a 4 seed.

One other note, fellow 4 seed (#15 overall) Oregon State lost last night to Stanford. They did beat Washington State the night before, but that probably didn't help their resume much. I'd say there's a pretty good chance Oregon State stays behind Iowa, which would create an extra buffer for keeping a 4 seed.

I disagree. The only results not factored in by the Committee are Iowa's loss to Ohio State and anything Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri State etc. do in the conference tournament. The Ohio State loss certainly looks bad because of the score, but Ohio State is #18 in the RPI. Iowa's huge loss to Maryland or the loss to Rutgers earlier in the year didn't drop it 4 lines in the Committee's projections.

As for other teams, Indiana's win was over #47 Rutgers. Kentucky's was over #60 Tennessee. The best two teams Missouri State could possibly beat are #44 Bradley and #24 Drake. If Indiana and Kentucky don't win today, I don't see any way they jump Iowa. Maybe Missouri State would if it beats two top 50 teams to win the conference tournament, but I'd still say that's less likely than not.

Are you suggesting that the committee members do not consider the message board imposed pressure of each game and how the team performed relative to expectations?

Are you suggesting that the committee members do not consider the message board imposed pressure of each game and how the team performed relative to expectations?
Yeah, I feel like this time of year, people (especially the media) overemphasize the importance of conference tournaments. They can certainly improve resumes, but you have to beat multiple good teams to do so. Iowa's loss to Washington early in the year is dragging down its resume a lot more than the Ohio State loss is.

Reactions: mphawk
OK, so it's official that there will be no fans in the stands for the NCAA tourney games. Is there still home court advantage? At least the players can sleep in their dorm rooms and use their own lockers.

WBB seedings/pairings/locations are usually done with an eye toward maximizing attendance, some would say at the expense of fairness. Now that attendance is no longer a factor, be interesting to see how this affects the bracket. Wonder if they will be trying to minimize travel?

WBB seedings/pairings/locations are usually done with an eye toward maximizing attendance, some would say at the expense of fairness. Now that attendance is no longer a factor, be interesting to see how this affects the bracket. Wonder if they will be trying to minimize travel?
Iowa can host Iowa State, Drake and South Dakota to minimize travel.:)

Reactions: nwhawkincr
The NCAA Tournament needed to be cancelled. That said, I feel bad for Iowa's seniors especially. Kathleen, Makenzie, and Amanda each took their game to another level this year. They helped Iowa to a season no one thought possible. Now they'll miss out on their final tournament at Iowa.

I have no idea what the future holds. But I do know that Iowa's program outlook is brighter than ever with recruiting going so well. If Iowa does take a step as a program in the next few years, we shouldn't forget how instrumental a second consecutive great season was in that.

Brenda Frese can recruit but keeping players in College Park has been her biggest challenge. Shakira Austin 6'5 & Olivia Owens 6'4 (RS '19-'20 w/ illness) both entered the transfer portal this week. With only one signed recruit to date that leaves them with only 8 players, very good players though. Guessing they will have to hit the grad transfer market hard. In the last few years about 5-7 players have left the program.

Reactions: FrankBurns00
Too many top 50 players not good enough to start at Maryland that would play a lot elsewhere

Too many top 50 players not good enough to start at Maryland that would play a lot elsewhere

That is the case with some of the transfers. But many others like Destiny Slocum (BIG FR of the Year) & Shakira Austin (#4 in her class) all started during their time in College Park & weren't in danger of being recruited-over. There is a lot of transfers in general, but Brenda has really struggled with this.

Reactions: mphawk
That is the case with some of the transfers. But many others like Destiny Slocum (BIG FR of the Year) & Shakira Austin (#4 in her class) all started during their time in College Park & weren't in danger of being recruited-over. There is a lot of transfers in general, but Brenda has really struggled with this.
I was amazed that Slocum transferred. Guessing some questions are being asked in College Park. Their softball program had issues also.

Reactions: jockos
I was amazed that Slocum transferred. Guessing some questions are being asked in College Park. Their softball program had issues also.
Slocum was really far away from home - Boise, ID to College Park, MD. Even with great success, and given how easy it is to transfer these days, why wouldn’t you - no matter the reason if you believe your reason makes sense to you? Not saying I agree or disagree. We all know there are many reasons why a kid may want to transfer.

Just my thoughts: Austin may end up at UVA playing for Tina Thompson (Austin is from VA), or South Carolina for Dawn Staley; however, USC already has Aliyah Boston, who is also 6’5”, and was a 2nd team AA (12.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 60.9 fg%, & a s**tload of blocks). My bet is on UVA. Thompson won 4 consecutive WNBA championships with the Houston Comets and was a great college player. She’s a young head coach, but if she can add Austin, could be a real game changer.

Slocum was really far away from home - Boise, ID to College Park, MD. Even with great success, and given how easy it is to transfer these days, why wouldn’t you - no matter the reason if you believe your reason makes sense to you? Not saying I agree or disagree. We all know there are many reasons why a kid may want to transfer.

Just my thoughts: Austin may end up at UVA playing for Tina Thompson (Austin is from VA), or South Carolina for Dawn Staley; however, USC already has Aliyah Boston, who is also 6’5”, and was a 2nd team AA (12.5 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 60.9 fg%, & a s**tload of blocks). My bet is on UVA. Thompson won 4 consecutive WNBA championships with the Houston Comets and was a great college player. She’s a young head coach, but if she can add Austin, could be a real game changer.

Her father says she is transferring because she isn't happy with how she was being utilized at Maryland. During her recruitment she was told she could play a stretch 4 / wing position which never happened as Brenda had her in the post. I recall the announcers in the 18/19 game in Iowa City saying she is building her game like that of Elena Delle Donne. Her father made it seem her & Brenda were on different pages which likely lead to the transfer.

UVA would be a good choice with Tina, but I think UCONN (recruited previously) will be in the running & tough to beat based on how Gino has used players with her skill set previously.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Her father says she is transferring because she isn't happy with how she was being utilized at Maryland. During her recruitment she was told she could play a stretch 4 / wing position which never happened as Brenda had her in the post. I recall the announcers in the 18/19 game in Iowa City saying she is building her game like that of Elena Delle Donne. Her father made it seem her & Brenda were on different pages which likely lead to the transfer.

UVA would be a good choice with Tina, but I think UCONN (recruited previously) will be in the running & tough to beat based on how Gino has used players with her skill set previously.
I could see that.

Lexie Brown and Kiah Gillespie were two other starters that transferred in recent years.

Lexie Brown and Kiah Gillespie were two other starters that transferred in recent years.

Kiara Leslie also started many games & went to NCST after the 2017 season. Between 2016-2018 over 6 players transferred out, Jenna Staiti & Aja Ellison were two others (5* & 3* recruits).

Reactions: cyberhawk
The NCAA Tournament needed to be cancelled. That said, I feel bad for Iowa's seniors especially. Kathleen, Makenzie, and Amanda each took their game to another level this year. They helped Iowa to a season no one thought possible. Now they'll miss out on their final tournament at Iowa.

I have no idea what the future holds. But I do know that Iowa's program outlook is brighter than ever with recruiting going so well. If Iowa does take a step as a program in the next few years, we shouldn't forget how instrumental a second consecutive great season was in that.
Just saw an article that said Iowa started the 3 seniors, a sophomore and a freshman. What freshman started? I thought the freshmen played a lot but Lexie was the 5th starter. Was there a game where she did not start? Rather than starting and then the freshmen subbing a lot of the game?

McKenna started the Big Tournament game for Amanda.
Strange game. Amanda is 'stiff after a car accident' but still plays? Stiff after a car accident?? McKenna and Monika have maybe their worst games of the year. Sure OSU made a lot of threes out of the gate. But it felt like something else was off.

Looking back, they had a few where they didn't seem to be in it, at Northern Iowa, at Nebraska, at Purdue, at Michigan possibly as well.

Looking back, they had a few where they didn't seem to be in it, at Northern Iowa, at Nebraska, at Purdue, at Michigan possibly as well.

Early in the season (@ UNI) they were still working out the kinks in their new offense & didn't shoot well (35% / 11 assists) or play defense. They beat a ranked Princeton team next, although not pretty you could see the growth & hard work they were putting in. The game @ Nebraska was just one of those games & @ Michigan Monika was coming off her injury (16 minutes off the bench) leaving them w/o an inside game against the likes of Naz Hillmon (30 pts). The game @ Purdue I thought they played decent, considering their history at Mackey Arena.

It was the last 3 games of the season where I noticed something was off (Minnesota, @ Rutgers, OSU in BTT). Maybe they were tired? Defense wasn't a strength but they didn't play much of it in those games & it showed in each losing 2 of the 3.

The Hawks had thumped UNI pretty good the last several times they met, so UNI was motivated and shot out of their minds. For the season they were in the bottom third of the MVC in shooting pct., last I checked. Had that game been played in January it would have gone the other way around, even in Cedar Falls.

More notable BIG transfers...
- Petra Holesinska grad transferring from Illinois.

- Kierstan Bell, top 6 in her class leaving OSU after one season joining 2 others (Satterfield, Wone-Aranaz) from that highly ranked class to transfer. Bell had discipline issues a few times this past season.

- Alisia Smith, former player Iowa recruited is leaving Penn St.

- Kayla Mershon 6'3 Post is transferring from Nebraska to Minnesota - might this be good news on the Sophie Hart front?

- Ashtyn Veerbeek, Iowa native & former top 100 recruit is transferring from Nebraska to Dordt in her hometown.

- Maori Davenport, top 15 recruit leaving Rutgers after one year.

- Courtney Fredrickson grad transferring from Wisconsin 6'2 forward. Iowa was a finalist along with Missouri for the Minnesota native out of high school. She's been injured, but wonder if Iowa would be interested in adding depth to the front-court since she was recruited previously? Several other WI players are transferring too.

Last edited:
The Hawks had thumped UNI pretty good the last several times they met, so UNI was motivated and shot out of their minds. For the season they were in the bottom third of the MVC in shooting pct., last I checked. Had that game been played in January it would have gone the other way around, even in Cedar Falls.
I agree, Iowa improved greatly since that early season meeting.

More notable BIG transfers...
- Petra Holesinska grad transferring from Illinois.

- Kierstan Bell, top 6 in her class leaving OSU after one season joining 2 others (Satterfield, Wone-Aranaz) from that highly ranked class to transfer. Bell had discipline issues a few times this past season.

- Alisia Smith, former player Iowa recruited is leaving Penn St.

- Kayla Mershon 6'3 Post is transferring from Nebraska to Minnesota - might this be good news on the Sophie Hart front?

- Ashtyn Veerbeek, Iowa native & former top 100 recruit is transferring from Nebraska to Dordt in her hometown.

- Maori Davenport, top 15 recruit leaving Rutgers after one year.

- Courtney Fredrickson grad transferring from Wisconsin 6'2 forward. Iowa was a finalist along with Missouri for the Minnesota native out of high school. She's been injured, but wonder if Iowa would be interested in adding depth to the front-court since she was recruited previously? Several other WI players are transferring too.

Add in Austin's transfer from Maryland (as has been discussed here already), and Iowa's standing amongst conference competition has improved quite a bit in the last couple weeks without Iowa itself doing anything of note. There's a lot of talent leaving other Big Ten teams this off-season.

Probably the most talented person Iowa has ever had is coming in next year. Kaitlin Clarke could take Iowa to amazing places. Next for years are going to be fire!!

It's a little startling how Ohio St loses or run off players in such large numbers. Lost or run off just as many last year didn't he. Must be at practice or locker he loses it on players. Actually one of the calmer coach's on the sideline during games.

It's a little startling how Ohio St loses or run off players in such large numbers. Lost or run off just as many last year didn't he. Must be at practice or locker he loses it on players. Actually one of the calmer coach's on the sideline during games.

Have you heard that part of his problems is how he treats his players? I hadn't seen anything about that so I wasn't aware. He always seemed to me as the type that is always looking for replacing a good player with what he perceives to me a better player. His hiring a coach a few years back in order to get the daughter, Kelsey Mitchell always seemed shady to me.

Has he changed his court side manners the last couple of years? I remember seeing him having a face redder than Fran's back when Kelsey Mitchell was playing, and I thought he must be a nice guy off the court or nobody would want to play for him.

ADVERTISEMENT