ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2020 postseason/preseason

Other than 0 ,what is the only number never worn by a Hawkeye women's player ?

That would be #53. Up until last year the Iowa WBB media guide included a list of all time jersey numbers. There were two until this past season when McKenna Warnock became the first ever to wear #14. #13, #15 and #55 have only been worn once each.

Hmmm, the name Kathy Thomas did not ring a bell, but after looking up on the hawkeyesports site, the face actually looked familiar to me.

Interesting. Kathy Thomas is listed in the media guide as the only one to wear #13. I presume that is because Shante Jones left after a year and a half.
I believe Kathryn Thomas was a JC transfer and left after one year.

One year only don't remember if JC or not. Played guard but would not have started or quick off the bench that year

One year only don't remember if JC or not. Played guard but would not have started or quick off the bench that year

Kathryn Thomas was a JC transfer, played one year somewhere in Kansas then backed up Logic for a season. Shante Jones didn't play all that much & had some disciplinary issues which lead to her departure/transfer.

I like that idea... let’s do it! I’ll start with
#1 Tomi Taiwo
The 2016 - 2017 roster will give a good start if we want to fill the list in numerical order (I cheated, I looked up the wiki). Anyway, I'll add the next one:

#1 Tomi Taiwo
#2 Ally Disterhoft

To be honest, I am not good with player’s numbers, especially going back even just a few years so I don’t know how far along this will get without more participation. Still would be interesting to see which numbers were most worn by what players.
The 2016 - 2017 roster will give a good start if we want to fill the list in numerical order (I cheated, I looked up the wiki). Anyway, I'll add the next one:

#1 Tomi Taiwo
#2 Ally Disterhoft
#3 Makenzie Meyer, Claire Till

I'll add a recent one that I actually remember:

#1 Tomi Taiwo
#2 Ally Disterhoft
#3 Makenzie Meyer, Claire Till
#4 Chase Coley

I included Wetering in the guard discussion because I think she could play the 3 at Iowa (she's also an option for the 4). The big selling point for her is that she's a really good athlete. I'd guess she'll be the fastest player on the team next year, and at roughly 6'0' her speed and athleticism could make her a great defender and strong in transition. Others have mentioned in past threads that in AAU Clark really liked the way she ran the floor. If she reaches her potential, Clark to Wetering runouts could steal Iowa a lot of easy baskets.

The downside to Wetering is that she was pretty raw as a prospect in the games I saw in 2018 and 2019. Her offensive game aside from transition wasn't particularly good or developed. Her defensive positioning needed a lot of work.

I haven't watched any of her games in 2020, but from the stats, it looks like her offense improved. She scored 23.2ppg this year, and shot 37.6% (47-125) from three.

Overall, Wetering's ceiling is really high. The question is whether she reaches it or comes close. In 2019, I thought she'd be a redshirt candidate, or wouldn't see much playing time as a freshman and sophomore while she developed. But if her game has improved since then and if she hits the ground running in college, she could be a dark horse to make the rotation. Her strengths are the things you can't teach and her weaknesses the things you can.
In view of the recent article about Shateah Wetering, your comments here seem prophetic. The coaches originally planned to use her as a ‘4’ but now believe she is a ‘3’. I think that puts her most directly in competition with Kate who is decisively better defensively. Also, since her half court offensive skills are so raw, redshirting her would make sense, but if she can refine them enough to elevate herself into the top eight, then of course she plays. There will be a battle for sure at that position.

Last edited:
Tomi Taiwo, Alexa Kastanek
Ally Disterhoft, Kamille Wahlin
Makenzie Meyer, Claire Till, Abby Emmert, Kalli Hansen
Chase Coley, Megan Considine
Alexis Sevillian

Megan Gustafson

Last edited:
Alexa Kastanek, Tomi Taiwo
Kamille Wahlin, Ally Disterhoft
Kalli Hansen, Abby Emmert, Claire Till, Makenzie Meyer
Megan Considine, Chase Coley
Jerica Watkins, Alexis Sevillian

Lindsey Meder, Megan Gustafson
Kristi Smith, Trisha Nesbit, Tania Davis, Megan Meyer
Morgan Johnson
Shante Jones, Kathy Thomas
Mckenna Warnock
Whitney Jennings

Kelli Krei, Kate Martin
Kachine Alexander, Melissa Dickson, Hannah Stewart, Zion Sanders
Samantha Logic, Kathleen Doyle
Kelsey Cermak, Theairra Taylor, Christina Buttenham, Logan Cook
Jenee Graham, Jaime Printy, Zion Sanders, Gabbie Marshall
Kali Peschel, Monika Czinano

Last edited:
Amber O’Brien, Alexa Kastanek, Tomi Taiwo
Kristi Faulkner, Kamille Wahlin, Ally Disterhoft

Leah Magner, Morgan Johnson
Mckenna Warnock
Whitney Jennings

Kelli Krei, Kate Martin
Cara Consuegra, Kachine Alexander, Melissa Dickson, Hannah Stewart, Zion Sanders
Kristi Faulkner, Mary Berdo, Samantha Logic,
Kathleen Doyle
Jenee Graham, Jaime Printy, Zion Sanders,
Gabbie Marshall

Michele Edwards (‘84-‘88)
Hannah Draxten, Paula Valiño-Ramos
Natalie Chambers, Wendy Ausdemore, Jade Rodgers
Kathryn Reynolds
Johanna Solverson, Virginia Johnson, Carly Moens

Tracy Schrupp, Stacy Schlapkohl, Hailey Schneden
Nicole Vanderpol, Amanda Ollinger
Beatrice Bullock, Megan Skouby
Randi Petersen, Joann Hamlin, Nicole Smith

Tangela Smith (‘94-‘98), Jenni Lillis, Lindsey Nyenhuis,
Gabbie Machado
Krista Vandeventer, Bethany Doolittle
Becca McCann, Kayla Timmerman

Last edited:
Alexa Kastanek, Tomi Taiwo
Kamille Wahlin, Ally Disterhoft

Morgan Johnson
Mckenna Warnock
Whitney Jennings

Kelli Krei, Kate Martin
Kachine Alexander, Melissa Dickson, Hannah Stewart, Zion Sanders
Samantha Logic, Kathleen Doyle
Jenee Graham, Jaime Printy, Zion Sanders,
Gabbie Marshall

Hannah Draxten, Paula Valiño-Ramos
Wendy Ausdemore, Jade Rodgers
Kathryn Reynolds
Johanna Solverson, Virginia Johnson, Carly Moens

Stacy Schlapkohl, Hailey Schneden
Nicole Vanderpol, Amanda Ollinger
Megan Skouby
Joann Hamlin, Nicole Smith

Lindsey Nyenhuis, Gabbie Machado
Krista Vandeventer, Bethany Doolittle
Kayla Timmerman
I may have missed this somewhere along the line, but are we going for all-time Iowa numbers, or just players under Bluder? Because Stringer had some some of our all-time players. So if the number game is just Bluder recruits, that’s fine, but if not...Tan wore #50. I loved watching WBB under Stringer!

I may have missed this somewhere along the line, but are we going for all-time Iowa numbers, or just players under Bluder? Because Stringer had some some of our all-time players. So if the number game is just Bluder recruits, that’s fine, but if not...Tan wore #50. I loved watching WBB under Stringer!
I first became a fan of the Iowa women’s basketball when C Vivian Stringer was HC. She did have some of the best players of all-time at Iowa. I don’t remember many names although Nicole Tunsil and Tiffany Gooden do come to mind. I never paid much attention to the numbers though. It would be great if we could get a complete all-time list of all players and their numbers. I don’t know if that’s a realistic ambition. I won’t be much further help with that either.

I compiled the vast majority of the list above from the rosters that I found online. Unfortunately, I was not able to find anything older than 2005. That includes some of Lisa’s early teams. Of those, I remember Jennie Lillis, Randi Petersen, Cara Consuegra, Jenna Armstrong, April Calhoun, Crystal Smith and Stacy Freese, but there are certainly others that I have forgotten, and alas, I never really knew their numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkahawk
Caitlyn Clark has stated she will wear 22 also. It's been a pretty good number so far getting better with each player to wear it.
Interesting. Did she wear 22 in high school? Also, did Doyle wear 22 in high school? Iowa will have 12 consecutive years of great play from #22.

Edit: My mistake, I thought Doyle came in right after Logic graduated. There was a one-year gap, in the 2015-2016 season.

Some other players from the 2000-2001 team, Coach Bluder's first at Iowa, in addition to #10 Lindsey Meder and #5 Jerica Watson:

#1 Amber O'Brien
#2 Kristi Faulkner (redshirted, and changed number later I believe)
#12 Leah Magner
#21 Cara Consuegra
#22 Mary Berdo
#32 Natalie Chambers
#40 Tracy Schrupp
#44 Beatrice Bullock
#45 Randi Peterson
#50 Jennie Lillis
#54 Becca McCann

I have no recollection of Natalie Chambers at all. All the others I remember well. Bullock and Magner were both from Alaska and both juniors that year. I think Bullock had a young brother that was on the men's gray team. Mary Berdo was the long range bomber from Washington Iowa that came back after quitting for a year. And she wore glasses. She's the equivalent of Chris Kingsbury on the men's team, without the baggage. Becca McCann later became Mrs. Robert Gallery.

That was a very strong team that should have made the Sweet Sixteen. They were a four seed but were unable to host (wrestling tournament maybe?), and lost at fifth seed Utah in a tight second round game. Though, Iowa didn't play particularly well, and had trouble in the first round vs Oregon.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyberhawk
Leah Magner, the Alaskan Assassin. She was a real trooper in the or one of the last games she played at Iowa. Without looking it up I am thinking it was in the B1G Conference Championship game, and the previous game she turned her ankle and it wasn't a sure thing that she would play the next game, but she not only gutted it out, she hit a big three late to get the win .

Reactions: hagarwood
Some other players from the 2000-2001 team, Coach Bluder's first at Iowa, in addition to #10 Lindsey Meder and #5 Jerica Watson:

#1 Amber O'Brien
#2 Kristi Faulkner (redshirted, and changed number later I believe)
#12 Leah Magner
#21 Cara Consuegra
#22 Mary Berdo
#32 Natalie Chambers
#40 Tracy Schrupp
#44 Beatrice Bullock
#45 Randi Peterson
#50 Jennie Lillis
#54 Becca McCann

I have no recollection of Natalie Chambers at all. All the others I remember well. Bullock and Magner were both from Alaska and both juniors that year. I think Bullock had a young brother that was on the men's gray team. Mary Berdo was the long range bomber from Washington Iowa that came back after quitting for a year. And she wore glasses. She's the equivalent of Chris Kingsbury on the men's team, without the baggage. Becca McCann later became Mrs. Robert Gallery.

That was a very strong team that should have made the Sweet Sixteen. They were a four seed but were unable to host (wrestling tournament maybe?), and lost at fifth seed Utah in a tight second round game. Though, Iowa didn't play particularly well, and had trouble in the first round vs Oregon.

I think Randi Peterson coached at Coe for a while before moving to a bigger school

I think Randi Peterson coached at Coe for a while before moving to a bigger school

Randi was an assistant coach at Charlotte under former Hawkeye PG Cara Consuegra after leaving Coe I believe. She is now head coach at Washington University in St. Louis a D3 school where she replaced current Illinois head coach Nancy Fahey.

The womens game will now be using the NET Rankings system to determine the NCAA Field in coming seasons. No more RPI.

What is the reason for no numbers between 6 and 9, 16 to 19, 26 to 29 and so on

The officials inability to convey to the scorers bench the players number without confusion is the reason.

B1G transfers-in and transfers-out by school...

https://wbbblog.com/whos-in-whos-out-power-5-transfers-for-the-2020-21-season/2/

Iowa and Northwestern have zero transfers. Nebraska has 3 in minus 3 out and Penn State has 2 in minus 4 out. Wisconsin (2 in / 3 out), Maryland (2 in / 3 out), Minnesota (2 in / 2 out), MSU (3 in / 1 out), Indiana (1 in / 3 out) and OSU (4 out) all have at least four total transfers. OSU lost practically their entire freshman class.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT