ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2020 postseason/preseason

I'm not going to expect a true freshman to come in and be a leader. I think Clark will be that leader in time. I still think Kate Martin can step up and be a leader, seeing this will be her third year.

Reactions: cyberhawk
I'm not going to expect a true freshman to come in and be a leader. I think Clark will be that leader in time. I still think Kate Martin can step up and be a leader, seeing this will be her third year.

The reason I said that about Caitlin Clark is because nobody else on the roster can come close to matching her basketball experiences & the caliber of talent she's played along side at USA Basketball. That type of experience is invaluable, Kathleen Doyle talked pre-season how it had benefited her too from last summer.

Reactions: crstuff
She will likely be one with the ball late in the shot clock to create a shot for a teammate or herself. But the point guard like the qb in football has to lead. She has the skills, just needs time, she will get a lot of help and coaching.

Reactions: crstuff
I assume you were talking about Gabbie Marshall -- I drew a complete blank trying to remember any past or present Iowa player named Maggie:) As for Marshall, I agree she is not very physical, and not the quickest player either. However I had an impression that she is actually taller than her reported height of 5'9. That's sufficient for a guard. Now Sevillian is indeed a bit undersized.

I hope Goodman can play some minutes too, and learn from Czinano in the process. I've read somewhere that physically she is ready for the college game.
Gabby was shorter than Doyle by a bit and Doyle is 5'9"

Gabbie is a quick defender. She needs to learn to drive to the basket like Doyle did. Driving in women’s basketball is a winner— a basketball or a foul- they are not prolific shot blockers like the men are

This could change the top of the BIG next season... Brenda Frese & Maryland lose yet another player to transfer. Two year starter 5'11 So. Taylor Mikesell their sharp shooting guard & former BIG Fr. of the Year decides it is in her best interest to move on. After just adding two transfers they are back down to 9 players with only one player having more than a year of experience. An assistant coach also just left taking an asst. job at Ole' Miss where Maryland star forward Shakira Austin 6'5 just transferred too.

This could change the top of the BIG next season... Brenda Frese & Maryland lose yet another player to transfer. Two year starter 5'11 So. Taylor Mikesell their sharp shooting guard & former BIG Fr. of the Year decides it is in her best interest to move on. After just adding two transfers they are back down to 9 players with only one player having more than a year of experience. An assistant coach also just left taking an asst. job at Ole' Miss where Maryland star forward Shakira Austin 6'5 just transferred too.
Is something going on in Maryland? This is more than usual, even by their standards on player turnover.

If multiple high minute players are transferring from your highly rated program in the same off-season for no readily apparent reason, something has gone very, very wrong. If those problems continue, and Maryland falls from its perch atop the Big Ten, Iowa is in as good a position as anyone to become the Big Ten's best team in the next 3-4 years.

With a coach following a player to Ole Miss will raise some eyebrows. Have tried but can't shed a tear for the turtles

With a coach following a player to Ole Miss will raise some eyebrows. Have tried but can't shed a tear for the turtles

It'd be such a shame if Zoe Young decided to transfer back home wouldn't it?
If multiple high minute players are transferring from your highly rated program in the same off-season for no readily apparent reason, something has gone very, very wrong. If those problems continue, and Maryland falls from its perch atop the Big Ten, Iowa is in as good a position as anyone to become the Big Ten's best team in the next 3-4 years.

Something is definitely not right in College Park. I wonder if future prospects are taking notice, its not as if Shakira Austin, Taylor Mikesell, or Oliva Owens were being recruited over either.

I look for Ohio State to be back at or near the top next year and maybe for awhile, unfortunately.

Speaking of Indiana - Doyle to Indiana Fever
Not good news for Megan - Dallas drafts three bigs
Neither Sabally or Alarie are post players. They are both tall wing players and neither excels at what Megan does, score inside and rebound. Megan needs to expand her range, but she's not going to be out on the perimeter defending: which is where Alarie and Sabally will be. Dallas' 3rd round player is a true post, but she's not pushing Megan out.

Speaking of Indiana - Doyle to Indiana Fever
Not good news for Megan - Dallas drafts three bigs
Not necessarily. Two SF, a PG, and a C who, according to Dallas sources, will stay in Germany for a year or two. Megan is a C/PF. Her weakness, according to herself, is increasing her shooting range. She is probably not a lock for the roster but her new contract should give her some protection. I do not see the new draftees as a threat unless Dallas goes to a positionless lineup and wants to run and press.

A detail in the Goodman article that really hit me: Lauren Jensen and Shateah Wetering both attended Goodman's mom's funeral. That's a 2+ hour drive for Jensen and nearly 3 for Wetering. That's an incredible gesture for two high school kids. Credit to them and their families. This freshman class is going to be great both on and off the court.

A detail in the Goodman article that really hit me: Lauren Jensen and Shateah Wetering both attended Goodman's mom's funeral. That's a 2+ hour drive for Jensen and nearly 3 for Wetering. That's an incredible gesture for two high school kids. Credit to them and their families. This freshman class is going to be great both on and off the court.
And now I know Cresco is closer to suburban Minneapolis than to Montezuma:).

Chemistry is so important . With all the transfers, you can see keeping everyone happy and accepting their roles is not easy. It starts with good kids, but Lisa is either very good or very lucky to put out teams that play at a high level, really enjoy the game,their teammates and their time at Iowa . I think she's very good.

Just one back year and she's gone. Maybe she can't take adversity as well as some other coaches. She's only 64.

Just one back year and she's gone. Maybe she can't take adversity as well as some other coaches. She's only 64.

I am guessing there were other factors involved in decision. May be wrong but nothing wrong with retiring at 64 either

This is what Lisa Bluder recruits - class.

It'd be such a shame if Zoe Young decided to transfer back home wouldn't it?

Something is definitely not right in College Park. I wonder if future prospects are taking notice, its not as if Shakira Austin, Taylor Mikesell, or Oliva Owens were being recruited over either.
Maryland lost their lead recruiter to the Nba a couple years ago. Terry Nooner went to Cleveland and is now at Texas. Terry's replacement, Shae Robinson, has left as well.

Maryland lost their lead recruiter to the Nba a couple years ago. Terry Nooner went to Cleveland and is now at Texas. Terry's replacement, Shae Robinson, has left as well.

Shae Robinson took the same position at Ole' Miss which doesn't have much if any WBB tradition. Shortly after Shae took the job, former Maryland player #4 in her class Shakira Austin chose Ole' Miss as her new school.

Neither Sabally or Alarie are post players. They are both tall wing players and neither excels at what Megan does, score inside and rebound. Megan needs to expand her range, but she's not going to be out on the perimeter defending: which is where Alarie and Sabally will be. Dallas' 3rd round player is a true post, but she's not pushing Megan out.
They are very tall wings--6'4" I believe. Does the WNBA play a big center oriented game? Of course Megan's not that big, just her heart.

They are very tall wings--6'4" I believe. Does the WNBA play a big center oriented game? Of course Megan's not that big, just her heart.

Most WNBA centers anymore are over 6'5. The ones who played center at 6'3 - 6'5 are starting to expand their games to play the 4 now. So a big center game is the trend.

Looks like Indiana may a heavy favorite this season. Ohio St. loses another key player to transfer in 5'10 G Janai Crooms. This is their 4th transfer this calendar year with former top 6 recruit Kierstan Bell just choosing Florida Gulf Coast. Maybe this is addition by subtraction as both Bell & Crooms were starters but also were suspended at the same time during the season.

Other than 0 ,what is the only number never worn by a Hawkeye women's player ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT