ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2020 postseason/preseason

B1G transfers-in and transfers-out by school...

https://wbbblog.com/whos-in-whos-out-power-5-transfers-for-the-2020-21-season/2/

Iowa and Northwestern have zero transfers. Nebraska has 3 in minus 3 out and Penn State has 2 in minus 4 out. Wisconsin (2 in / 3 out), Minnesota (2 in / 2 out), MSU (3 in / 1 out), Maryland (2 in / 2 out) and Indiana (1 in / 3 out) all have at least four total transfers.

Raoul is missing a few transfers (out)... Olivia Owens from Maryland, Janai Crooms from Ohio St.

Reactions: cyberhawk
B1G transfers-in and transfers-out by school...

https://wbbblog.com/whos-in-whos-out-power-5-transfers-for-the-2020-21-season/2/

Iowa and Northwestern have zero transfers. Nebraska has 3 in minus 3 out and Penn State has 2 in minus 4 out. Wisconsin (2 in / 3 out), Maryland (2 in / 3 out), Minnesota (2 in / 2 out), MSU (3 in / 1 out), Indiana (1 in / 3 out) and OSU (4 out) all have at least four total transfers. OSU lost practically their entire freshman class.
MSU now has four transfers in; two of which are from Penn State which has now lost five.

Last edited:
Any rumors about 20-21 opponents? We've got the Cancun Challenge but don't know match-ups. Last year conference opponents were announced in April and B1G/ACC Challenge match-ups in June. Maybe everything's still on hold or being changed.

By Jeff Linder
Mon., April 27, 2020

Lauren Jensen will be an outside-shooting option for Iowa women's basketball

Despite a stress fracture last season, combo guard led Lakeville (Minn.) North to state for the 5th straight year

Jensen is a shooter, plain and simple. She set the career record for 3-pointers at North. The previous record-holder was Rachel Banham, who later starred at the University of Minnesota.

“A combo guard,” Iowa Coach Lisa Bluder called Jensen. “She handles the ball well. She’s a really good shooter.”
...“we could have three point guards on the floor at the same time,”
Bluder said. “Lauren’s definitely capable of playing the 1 or 2 in our system.”

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...27?template=amphtml&__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:
I think Clark is going to have a a major impact this year; not really a hot take for the 4th best high school player in the country.

It's good to see Goodman in that team photo. She will likely be a major help for interior post depth and take some pressure off Czinano. That wasn't really there last year.

Wetering may play a bunch this year too. On a roster where there are often 3 guard lineups, really only Warnock and Cook provide the stretch-4 position with the combo of some size as well as offensive ability to get to the basket. Iowa has lost starters in consecutive years with Stewart and Ollinger. But I think Warnock can be better than both. Offensively she certainly is.

Because the news is so slow and I want to stimulate some conversation, I want to give credit to some unsung heroes. Following is some of my thoughts on the three upperclassmen who have perhaps contributed more so off the court then on the court. They are not so much in the limelight after every win but they are vital to the culture of the team. They are Zion, Tomi and Logan.

Zion had originally been one of my all-time favorite players because she came to Iowa without a scholarship and just because she wanted to be a Hawkeye. She walked on, made the roster and was later awarded a scholarship. She has not started many, if any games, or played many minutes, but she contributes with her positive attitude in the locker room. I believe it is her unabashed non-assuming free spirit personally that helps to unify the team. I hope she gets to have her moments on the court to shine in the glory of many wins.

Also, Logan and Tomi will be Juniors this next season. I really hope that they each can play greater roles on the court as well.

Tomi has seen some significant minutes in mostly reserve action but IINM has also started a couple games. There is opportunity to increase her minutes, but she is in a crowded competition with the younger and perhaps equally talented underclass guards, not to mention the two seniors. I believe she also contributes to the team culture with her positive attitude and is well liked by her teammates.

Finally, Logan has not played very much at all. However, she was singled out late last summer by Lisa as having made much progress over her first year. I though she might have a role backing-up Monica, but she still played sparingly this past season. Logan was recently commended for her scholastic achievements. She is certainly a positive influence on the team culture as well.

Does anyone else have thoughts on these three? Is it possible/likely that any of them could achieve larger roles on the court next season? I am hoping so and would appreciate anyone’s comments on this subject.

Go Hawks!

I am not expert by any means but based on games I watched on TV, Tomi is one I think has best chance to contribute. She has range to shoot the three and seems capable in other areas
Will need front court players so Logan will have her chances too

I'd say each of Tomi, Logan, and Zion have a chance to make the rotation.

Tomi probably has the best chance of the three. My guess is Caitlin, Alexis, and Gabbie start at the beginning of the season. After them, Tomi, Kate, Lauren, Megan, and Zion will all battle for guard minutes. Tomi was ahead of Kate, Megan, and Zion last year. She's a good shooter, and is athletic enough to be a good defender. But her rotation place is hardly secure. I wouldn't be shocked to see one of those other three jump her, or see Lauren come in and contribute right away.

Zion is interesting, because she didn't play for much of last year. Then later in the year she started spelling Doyle at PG. Caitlin will probably play similar minutes as Doyle, so Zion could step back into that backup PG role this year. Alternatively, Gabbie or someone else could fill the backup PG role and push Zion out of the rotation again. I don't think Zion will make the rotation as an off-ball guard.

Logan is also interesting, because she played some minutes at the 5 last year, despite not really being a prototypical 5. This year, Monica and McKenna will be the starting 4 and 5. Sharon is the natural backup at the 5, and Kate the natural backup at the 4 in a smaller lineup. Logan's will need to beat out one of them to get into the rotation.

Oh, so she's the one that was in quarantine?

I happened to see one of the players shopping at the Coralville Hy-Vee a few weeks ago without a mask on. I won't say which one, except that it was not Logan Cook. To one of the insiders, please tell me that the coaching staff is mandating masks out in public now.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Looks like Zion Sanders has been chosen as one of the captains for the '20-'21 season. Usually there is more than one, will be interesting to see who the team chose.

Has anyone heard any news about how the summer workouts have been going for the Women's basketball team? I am particular interested in any updates regarding the four freshmen.

I think all of us are curious. Clark no doubt will play and likely start. I think this team will score but I would like to see more interior depth for defense and rebounding. Hoping Goodman surprises as a solid backup for Monica and Warnock

Malikah Willis, former player for Vivian Stringer at Iowa is the new Interim HC. at Texas Tech following Marlene Stollings (former Minnesota) firing for abuse of players. I remember her playing days, but what I didn't realize was there are so many former Hawks coaching in womens college basketball, both from the Stringer & Bluder eras.

https://texastech.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/coaches/malikah-willis/2349

Last edited:
Any talk on how or when the WBB will play. After the loss of football, find a way to play. I would hope warren and the presidents know the players will be better screened and protected then the employees. Quick screening tests hopefully will be available . Please find s way.

Any talk on how or when the WBB will play. After the loss of football, find a way to play. I would hope warren and the presidents know the players will be better screened and protected then the employees. Quick screening tests hopefully will be available . Please find s way.
Sounds like we'll know in a couple weeks.
Scenarios
I say try to start on time. Knowing games may get cancelled/rescheduled as we go along, the sooner the start the best chance to get the most games in.

Based on media and ncaa it appears a bubble season is likely. For those of us who have been season ticket holders I hope a tv package becomes available for all games. I would think many if not the majority , maybe all would use that money, more if necessary to see our Hawks play. I would. If a bubble is the way I hope Gary and Lisa reach out to donors , season ticket holders and the public to help make tv happen.

ADVERTISEMENT