ADVERTISEMENT

WBB game watch: Iowa vs Belmont

Curious what everyone thinks. Did the Hawks get out over their skis on the rankings and not focus on the game at hand? I know it’s early but trying to figure out if they are not as good as many thought or just not focused yet?

Reactions: tverwers13
4:30 left 2nd Q. Clark 2-6, team 8-22, 1-7 from 3. Kind of a clunky looking game IMHO.

Bad officiating to this point…but Iowa just isn’t that good. Belmont has a solid defensive game plan. Stuelke will have to get more minutes to give another scoring option on the floor with Clark and Czinano.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Looks like the same problem as in the past, turnovers bad D and rebounding and bench players not getting much of a chance when the starters are not getting it done.

Need more effort on the boards...a lot of standing around. It is very easy to get open looks againsr us...it's like we've never seen a screen before.

Iowa up 32-25 at the half. Iowa not shooting well. Defense still giving up too easy looks from the perimeter. Effort on rebounding is better. Bluder must have gotten the message on using her bench because she's subbed much more. still want to see Wettering get some minutes. She's the best perimeter defender among the 3/4s

Reactions: DougFHawkeye
I liked watching this team play last year but somethings changed. Refs are bad and they’re going to be bad in almost every girls game. Hate the complaining about every foul call. Clarks antics are getting old already. Nobody else can score besides Clark and czinano.

I was at the game and saw nothing wrong with Clark’s antics as she was mugged continually, especially when off the ball. Since teams are not allowing Monica easy looks the role players must step up which they have not up to this point. I feel Davis is a much better option than Gabby at the off guard and has a better array of skills. Would love to see more time from Stuelke. Overall very disappointed.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackett73
I would agree that the supporting players are not stepping up and they are not playing very well. I just do not sense the chemistry is all that great at this point. IMO they just look sort of lost at times which is hard to understand given how long they have played together.

It was good to see Caitlin with such a good game and Molly Davis is a good acquisition. Hannah Stuelke is going to get better and better. This is a really good Iowa team and Belmont is a good team too. We have every chance to repeat as B1G champs.

Just 6 turnovers on the day led to just 5 Belmont points. Grabbed 80% of defensive rebounds and 27.7% of offensive rebounds.

Won the second chance/points of turnovers battle 18-11.

Defense was much better today. Held Belmont to 23/62 (37.1%) and 8/29 (27.6%) from 3. Thought the on ball defense was solid in particular.

That's probably right, but O'Grady looked a little lost or at least out of sync today. With the physical play of Belmont I thought that might be a good chance for Sharon to get a couple minutes.
Just speculating, but it appears to me Sharon may be out for a while. She came out of the last home game after playing only three minutes, then didn't play at all against Kansas State or Belmont. Before today's game they had an event for season ticket holders, and Sharon and Kylie were the only two players who spoke answering questions from the crowd. I would be curious if Kyle has heard anything.

Just speculating, but it appears to me Sharon may be out for a while. She came out of the last home game after playing only three minutes, then didn't play at all against Kansas State or Belmont. Before today's game they had an event for season ticket holders, and Sharon and Kylie were the only two players who spoke answering questions from the crowd. I would be curious if Kyle has heard anything.
I know Bluder said Sharon was just a little behind in terms of getting into good game shape. Haven’t heard if she aggravated her knee. Will ask tomorrow at media availability.

I hope Kylie is progressing in her rehab. I see her on the bench and she doesn't seem to have any support or brace on her knee, and moving ok compared to what I thought I saw with Wetering and Goodman when they were injured.

Reactions: oldhawk56
ADVERTISEMENT