ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Recruiting 2017 and On

5f0b892a-s.jpg

Plays for the Serbia national team, averaged 11.7 ppg and 11.3 rpg at the recent European Championships. She was given the sportsmanship award at that event.
Lets hope we get her to Iowa!

Reactions: HIWILLE
Seriously, if she does her homework and looks at the development of past post players at Iowa, she would have to give a very serious look at Iowa. Anyone know what the reputation of the Hawkeye staff is in the world of female ( I hope that is an appropriate pronoun!) college basketball... I am guessing we are considered a "developmental program" as with football. It appears we maintain a small geographic footprint and don't catch many elite (top 40ish ) high schoolers. Stringer certainly gets her share of the top recruits, but I assume there is a lot of negative recruiting against Rutgers on the basis that she will not be around forever!

Jan Jensen does a very good job with the posts. Lisa and her staff have a reputation of doing a great job with their recruits. Longevity. A few years ago they had the #7 ranked class in the country.

Reactions: HIWILLE
Gabbie Marshall and her MND team have been on a roll. Gabbie has hit over 50% of her threes the last 7 games (47.4% on the year) at 30 for 59. She is also at 81% on FT. They have won 9 straight after losing the opener 60-55 to #3 nationally, Africentric (Columbus). Mount Notre Dame is now ranked #17 nationally after routing previously ranked Ryle by 20.
Monona Grove has won 14 straight and now sits at 15-1, with McKenna Warnock averaging over 32 points and 15 rebounds per game.

Sharon Goodman had 25 points(of her teams 44) and 13 rebounds in a win. Hit 12-14 shots. She is at 24.4ppg and 12.8rpg
Shateah Wetering had games of 19 (8-13 shooting) and 18 (8-12) as Montezuma ran their record to 13-1, 12 straight wins.
She is at 17.4ppg (55% from the field) and has 36 steals and 17 blocks.
Megan Meyer is at 24.4 ppg, 39% on threes, 79% on FT. They have played 5 straight road games.

Last edited:
Iowa makes the final 7 cut for Sydney Parrish, #11 ranked recruit in 2020 per Raoul...

WBB: Sydney Parrish, 6-1 W, Hamilton Southeastern HS (IN), currently ranked #11 in the 2020 class by espnW, has announced her final 7 schools: UCLA, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Oregon, South Carolina, and Tennessee

Iowa makes the final 7 cut for Sydney Parrish, #11 ranked recruit in 2020 per Raoul...

WBB: Sydney Parrish, 6-1 W, Hamilton Southeastern HS (IN), currently ranked #11 in the 2020 class by espnW, has announced her final 7 schools: UCLA, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Oregon, South Carolina, and Tennessee
A tough crowd to beat, for sure.

Would Grace Berg be a good fit for our basketball roster? Any chances of getting her now that she is leaving Missouri?

Since the Whitney Jennings scandal that was covered up by the University Iowa has not been able to get any top recruits. With this being Bluder's last year of her contract I believe she will be retiring at the end of this year.

Whitney left on her own. Whatever issues she had were her own doing. Coaches tried to work with her but it was obvious she had something else going on and didn't want to be at Iowa. There was never any scandal. She wanted to be somewhere else and Bluder agreed to release her from scholarship as long as WJ agreed to a few restrictions. Bluder has had several TOP recruits following Jennings transfer. Doyle was highly rated as was Logan Cook. Bluder's contract will likely be extended for several years. OP obviously has no clue.

Whitney left on her own. Whatever issues she had were her own doing. Coaches tried to work with her but it was obvious she had something else going on and didn't want to be at Iowa. There was never any scandal. She wanted to be somewhere else and Bluder agreed to release her from scholarship as long as WJ agreed to a few restrictions. Bluder has had several TOP recruits following Jennings transfer. Doyle was highly rated as was Logan Cook. Bluder's contract will likely be extended for several years. OP obviously has no clue.

What were the restrictions? What were the rankings for Doyle and Cook?

What were the restrictions? What were the rankings for Doyle and Cook?
Bluder never said officially which schools were restricted but she said she wanted to see the list of schools before approving the transfer. I'm assuming Indy and Purdue were off the table. Doyle was a high four star Top 100 recruit. Cook was a fast rising 3 star but I don't remember her rank. Kate Martin was also a high three star and Top 150 player.

Bluder never said officially which schools were restricted but she said she wanted to see the list of schools before approving the transfer. I'm assuming Indy and Purdue were off the table. Doyle was a high four star Top 100 recruit. Cook was a fast rising 3 star but I don't remember her rank. Kate Martin was also a high three star and Top 150 player.

Thank you, I am late to the game and catching up

Doyle was ranked #92 by ESPN & #20 by Blue Star, underrated by one & overrated by the other. Logan Cook wasn't ranked near the top 150 by any service that I've seen & needs to add strength to be a contributor next season in the front court. Incoming recruit McKenna Warnock is a top 100 player (Prospects Nation #52 & #86 by ESPN) & will definitely be in the rotation at the 4 next year in a smaller Hawkeye lineup.

Kate Martin & Monika Czinano were graded at 90 by ESPN & were likely top 150 in their class. Tomi Taiwo was likely underrated per Oakhawk as she moved around a lot changing high schools several times, PN had her as a **** while others had her outside the top 200.

I see Jennings and Butler are doing very well so far this year, though tough games are ahead. FS1 has shown Butler' games for the last couple of Sundays. I hope Non posters can finally be happy and not grumpy.

Doyle was ranked #92 by ESPN & #20 by Blue Star, underrated by one & overrated by the other. Logan Cook wasn't ranked near the top 150 by any service that I've seen & needs to add strength to be a contributor next season in the front court. Incoming recruit McKenna Warnock is a top 100 player (Prospects Nation #52 & #86 by ESPN) & will definitely be in the rotation at the 4 next year in a smaller Hawkeye lineup.

Kate Martin & Monika Czinano were graded at 90 by ESPN & were likely top 150 in their class. Tomi Taiwo was likely underrated per Oakhawk as she moved around a lot changing high schools several times, PN had her as a **** while others had her outside the top 200.

WBB rankings are still pretty inconsistent across the different services. Certainly not as reliable as the men's rankings. One service had Martin @120. Cook might not have been rated but she her recruiting picked up in her sr season and she was a rising three star. Regardless Bluder has landed several top recruits since Jennings transferred. Bluder is in her final year and while it's possible she retires I expect her to receive an extension which is contrary to the notion that she is in danger of losing her job for recruiting failures

Reactions: JAMAM
I am absolutely shocked to see that Bluder is in the last year of her contract. Barta appears to hand out generous contract extensions like pamphlets at a political rally! Bluder is deserving of job security given the level of success she has had since coming to Iowa. She will be a hall of fame coach, has several years of coaching ahead of her and has shown a tangible commitment to the University! I see no lack of interest in coaching or any apparent desire to move on to "greener" pastures. What am I missing?

I am absolutely shocked to see that Bluder is in the last year of her contract. Barta appears to hand out generous contract extensions like pamphlets at a political rally! Bluder is deserving of job security given the level of success she has had since coming to Iowa. She will be a hall of fame coach, has several years of coaching ahead of her and has shown a tangible commitment to the University! I see no lack of interest in coaching or any apparent desire to move on to "greener" pastures. What am I missing?

My guess is that, just like Gary Barta did with Fran, her new contract is already in place just not announced yet. The only questions are how many more years she wants to coach, being almost 58 now, and what the current market rate is for her peers. I would say five years at a modest raise with more money for her department.

It's entirely possible she has already extended. If she hasn't I would guess that Bluder was the one who wanted to wait. She has been coaching for 30 plus years now. But with the amount of energy and passion I've seen from coach I don't think she's looking to give it up

If she makes the sweet 16 there may be more money in that contract too! No harm in waiting

2021 Kendall Moriarty, 6-0 G, Benet Academy (Lisle, IL): Latest school to offer Moriarty is Northwestern (her fourth Big Ten offer). Earlier offers (June to December of 2018): Marquette, Milwaukee, St. Louis Univ., DePaul, Illinois State, Miami (OH), Akron, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Iowa.

(1/20/2019)

Last edited:
Here is a list (not complete) of players Iowa has offers out to or is recruiting...

Jelena Mitrovic - 6'9 Serbia (Has visited all her finalists now)

Sharon Goodman - 6'2 Crestwood (Committed)
Shateah Wetering - 6'1 Montezuma (Committed)
Sydney Parrish - 6'0 Fishers, IN
Caitlin Clark - 5'11 West Des Moines, IA
Shelby Calhoun - 5'11 Louisville, KY
Taylor Lauterbach - 6'6 Appleton, WI
Leilani Kapinus - 5'10 Fitchburg, WI (Top 10 nationally)
Cameron Williams - 6'2 Chicago, IL
Angela Dugalic - 6'3 Des Plaines, IL (not on current finalist list anymore)
Maddie Westbeld - 6'2 Kettering, OH (sister played at Notre Dame)
Lindsey Rogers - 6'0 Lisle, IL (attends Kathleen Doyle's old Benet Academy)
Mallory Brake - 6'0 Hastings, MN
Lauren Ware - 6'5 Bismark, ND

Shyanne Sellers - 6'2 Aurora, OH
Tiana Timpe - 5'10 Stockton, ILL
Aj Ediger - 6'2 Hamilton, MI (has visited IA)
Ally VanTimmeren - 6'3 Allendale, MI
Kendall Moriarty - 6'0 Lisle, IL (Benet Academy - Doyle's old school)
Payton Verhulst - 6'1 De Soto, KS (Sister plays at Ariz St.)
Kendall Coley - 6'2 Minneapolis, MN (Chase's sister... MN, WI, Ohio St. offered, Iowa?)
Damiya Hagemann - 5'7 Detroit, MI
Greta Kampschroeder - 6'0 Naperville, ILL
Saylor Poffenbarger - 6'1 Middletown, MD
Callie Genke - 6'0 Wrightstown, WI
Anna Lutz - 6'0 Marshall, WI
Bree Hall - 5'10 Huber Heights, Ohio

Grace Vanslooten - 6'3 Toledo, OH
Jordana Codio - 6'0 Delray Beach, FL
Cotie McMahon - 6'0 Centerville, OH
Maya Nnaji - 6'2 Hopkins, MN
Mallory Heyer - 6'1 Chaska, MN
McKenna Monogue - 6'1 Mukwonago, WI

Last edited:
I know she’s been discussed here in the past, but any word on how Iowa stands with Caitlin Clark from DM Dowling?

I know she’s been discussed here in the past, but any word on how Iowa stands with Caitlin Clark from DM Dowling?
I found this on another WBB recruiting forum from a regular poster there and do know she has visited Oregon & Oregon St.

"My observation is that the list of schools that features on her social media is Oregon, Oregon State, ND, Iowa, Iowa State, Creighton, and Drake. Obviously, there is a local connection to the last 4."

Jelena Mitrovic the 6'9 Serbian player has committed to Oregon St.
Kind of a surprise since Oregon State has 2 freshmen players 6'7" and 6'9" and Mitrovic is going to have to compete with them for playing time.

Last edited:
You can add 6'6 & 6'3 posts they just signed in November to that.
I just checked and 3 of those 4 post players are 5 star recruits. There's going to be battle for playing time. My guess is 1 or 2 will be looking to transfer in the future.

With Mitrovic signing elsewhere, who is going to backup Monika at the 5 position next year? Amanda? Will Paula break into the rotation? Are we looking at potential grad transfers?

That seems like our biggest hole for next season.

Or will MC and AO both start (and then who backs them up). Guessing the coaches don't know yet.

Or will MC and AO both start (and then who backs them up). Guessing the coaches don't know yet.

I agree both will start next year. I suppose Ramos would back up Monica and maybe Cook/Warnock to back up Amanda. Not a very good situation for the inside imo.

Reactions: r448chlpo
I also think Amanda will start next to Monika but will see a lot of 4 guard lineups too. McKenna Warnock could play the 4 like Ally Disterhoft did her first two years, Kate Martin could also see time there. Backing up Monika could be Logan Cook, a role very similar that Claire Till (6'0) played in backing up Bethany Doolittle. Be as physical as she can & use her 5 fouls if need be.

I don't see Paula Ramos ever being in the regular rotation unless the staff is forced to play her due to injuries or some other reason.

Reactions: mphawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT