ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting for the future

I was able to watch AIA a lot this summer and I found the more I watched Affolter the more I liked her game. I doubt she’ll ever be a prolific scorer at Iowa, if only because there’s going to be a lot of scoring options on the floor. But I think she’s going to complement Clark and Jensen really well, because she doesn’t need to score to be effective. She’s unselfish, athletic, shoots it fairly consistently, handles it well enough to play PG if needed, rebounds well, is scrappy, and I think could even play the 4 in a pinch. She should also be one of the team’s best defenders, even though I know the bar isn’t especially high there. So regardless of where she ends up being ranked, I think people are going to be really happy with her.
I watched 20+ games of the top AIA team this summer and I think Sydney will be a strong contributor in her Hawkeye career. She isn't a "standout" at any one thing but does everything very well. She is insanely strong and appears to have spent considerable time working in the weight room. Has a a quick, repeatable release, and is a good passer. I agree with the poster above as it relates to defending. She has the potential to be an outstanding defender with her length and strength. Lastly, she really competes hard at all times. That is a trait that can't be overlooked.

I watched 20+ games of the top AIA team this summer and I think Sydney will be a strong contributor in her Hawkeye career. She isn't a "standout" at any one thing but does everything very well. She is insanely strong and appears to have spent considerable time working in the weight room. Has a a quick, repeatable release, and is a good passer. I agree with the poster above as it relates to defending. She has the potential to be an outstanding defender with her length and strength. Lastly, she really competes hard at all times. That is a trait that can't be overlooked.
That’s some good stuff since you seen it. Thanks

Northwestern's class is ranked No. 10? It appears they are on an upwards trajectory.
Coach Joe McKeown has hired 3 new up & coming assistants in the last 3 years. One of them is former Hawkeye & long time pro-player Tangela Smith. It appears to be paying dividends on the recruiting trail, but this year will be an interesting year for them. They lost their entire front-court which was a strength & have no proven replacements or depth.

Coach Joe McKeown has hired 3 new up & coming assistants in the last 3 years. One of them is former Hawkeye & long time pro-player Tangela Smith. It appears to be paying dividends on the recruiting trail, but this year will be an interesting year for them. They lost their entire front-court which was a strength & have no proven replacements or depth.
Oh, I didn't know Tangela Smith had joined the Northwestern staff. I remember seeing her in Carver as a coach on the Western Michigan team a few years ago.

Oh, I didn't know Tangela Smith had joined the Northwestern staff. I remember seeing her in Carver as a coach on the Western Michigan team a few years ago.
Last year was her first year. There are so many former Hawks in the coaching ranks from both Vivian's days & Lisa's too.

Last year was her first year. There are so many former Hawks in the coaching ranks from both Vivian's days & Lisa's too.

I can think of seven from Lisa's days. Any others? And maybe Kathleen Doyle in the future.

Cara Consuegra -- head coach Charlotte
Randi Peterson -- head coach Washington (St. Louis)
Jennie Lillis -- head coach Drake
Abby Emmert -- assistant coach Iowa
Kachine Alexander -- former assistant coach Florida Atlantic
Kathryn Reynolds -- director of player development Iowa
Tania Davis -- graduate assistant Clemson

Last edited:
Cara Consuegra is a head coach at some school as is Randi Peterson. Randi Pete’s husband, Duez Henderson ,is her top assistant.

Will Lillis be the next head coach??

I remember thinking that from the time she was a player. You could tell she was the strongest voice in the huddles, even as a freshman and sophomore.

However, since a wealthy alum gave an unrestricted $5M gift to endow the Drake WBB program last year, I don't see her going anywhere. It tied for the largest gift to a WBB program in NCAA history. As a private school, Drake does not disclose salaries but you can bet it is competitive now.

I can think of seven from Lisa's days. Any others? And maybe Kathleen Doyle in the future.

Kachine Alexander -- assistant coach Florida Atlantic

I'll try to come up with a listing from Vivian's years. Kachine isn't coaching any longer, she got married & quit prior to last season. FAU came to Iowa City to play this past season & it was done to bring Kachine back, the game was played anyway.

Kachine Alexander -- former assistant coach Florida Atlantic
Lindsay Richards was an assistant coach at the University of Pittsburgh for several years until the then head coach was replaced in 2018. It looks like she's out of coaching for now.
Wendy Ausdemore was Randi Peterson's assistant at Coe College for a few years. I don't know if she is still coaching.
I think Johanna Solverson did some coaching as well, albeit at the high school level.

I am sure I am missing a few, these are from Vivian's time at Iowa...
Shannon Perry - Asst. UCLA
Jolette Law - Asst. South Carolina
Tangela Smith - Asst. Northwestern
Necole Tunsil - now in high school coaching
Katie Abrahamson-Henderson - HC Central Florida (UCF)
Nadine Domond - Asst. Rutgers (was Grambling HC, but left for RU)
Michelle Edwards - Asst. Rutgers
Malikah Willis - Asst. Texas Tech (not retained by new HC)
Tia Jackson - Asst. Duke (was HC Washington, Asst. Miami Fla., Asst. Rutgers)
Molly Tideback - now in high school coaching
Seimone Edwards - was Asst. George Washington, Jamaican Nat'l Team HC, no longer coaches

Callie Levin will almost certainly get an Iowa offer sooner than later and I'd be surprised if she doesn't commit to the hometown Hawks. She played up with the AIA at the end of the summer and is a very high level player who plays on both ends of the floor. Very bright future ahead for her!

Callie Levin will almost certainly get an Iowa offer sooner than later and I'd be surprised if she doesn't commit to the hometown Hawks. She played up with the AIA at the end of the summer and is a very high level player who plays on both ends of the floor. Very bright future ahead for her!
I wouldn't be surprised either, I posted earlier (#968) she has an Arkansas offer already along with her AIA video if you hadn't seen it, very impressive player.

I saw Callie play most of the summer and I like her game a lot. Not sure how tall she ends up but with her skill set it may not matter much. Shoots with range and competes like crazy. Seems like a really nice kid as well.

I saw Callie play most of the summer and I like her game a lot. Not sure how tall she ends up but with her skill set it may not matter much. Shoots with range and competes like crazy. Seems like a really nice kid as well.
Is she similar to Lindsey Meder? I'm only asking because Lindsey Meder is also from Solon.

Just realized that Callie Levin hadn't even been born yet when Meder was playing for Iowa. Doesn't feel like it was that long ago.

Reactions: mphawk
Speaking of Meder, I think she Is currently a dentist in the DesMoines area and I still see her parents sitting in the front row at the women’s games.

Reactions: mphawk
Speaking of Meder, I think she Is currently a dentist in the DesMoines area and I still see her parents sitting in the front row at the women’s games.

Not just a dentist. Lindsey is an endodontist in West Des Moines. Impressive resume.

Reactions: Torg
Brooklyn Meyer 2022 6'2 PF West Lyon, IA commits to South Dakota State. Was offered by Iowa early on but with Iowa full at her position they likely were no longer an option. Other offers were from Iowa State, Minnesota, Nebraska, & Wisconsin.

Reactions: cyberhawk
This article was originally posted online with comments about each player from Associate Head Coach Jensen. Within about 12 hours the quotes by Jan were removed. In addition to the error in publishing comments from a coach about unsigned committed recruits in violation of NCAA rules, I thought it was interesting that the comments were from Jan and not Lisa as is usually the case.

Reactions: Tunadog and LinusPF
ADVERTISEMENT