ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting for the future

'22 PG Acacia Hayes who lists Iowa in her final 8 schools had 3 sisters in the transfer portal out of Notre Dame, MTSU, & Tennessee. They all committed to Mississippi St. this week which is also on Acacia's final 8 list. Will be interesting to see if she does her own thing or teams up with whichever ones have eligibility left.

Still wouldn't surprise me if Iowa has cooled off their recruitment of her.

If I were coaching this Iowa team I'd only look for a sure starter in the portal. I don't see much benefit to adding a depth option when I think that depth will develop internally, either with the incoming freshman or with current players improving.

I also would probably limit my search to someone that can play the wing. We're set at the 1. There aren't many 5s that would jump Czinano on the depth chart even with her defensive issues. Warnock is pretty close to the perfect 4 for our current system, and I doubt there are many 4s that would jump her on the depth chart.

I'm not aware of every available transfer, but Diamond Johnson from Rutgers is the only name that has really stuck out to me. She did great at Rutgers, shoots really well, and is probably a decent defender given that she went to Rutgers. Otherwise, I would look for a player in the mold of Veronica Burton from Northwestern--a great perimeter defender that can still shoot the three and contributes on the glass.

I don't think we need to replace Marshall or Martin by any means. Just that the wing seems like the easiest position to improve in the starting lineup if we were going to add a transfer.
Lisa usually won't be active in the transfer market unless it is a player they previously recruited and have a relationship with. She says transfers can really upset team chemistry so the entire team would have to spend time with the prospect and give their approval. That is what Zion Sanders went through to join the team as a walk on. Of course, there has to be the need for the player too.

Just a note, there are over 1,000 WBB players in the portal now.
What about a graduate transfer? Iowa has one scholarship to spare for next fall. Here is a player that would give the Hawks an element that the current roster lacks... a dominant interior defensive presence to block layups and minimize offensive rebounds by the opponents. Could she make a difference for next season?

Reactions: wbrhawkeye and nu2u
Here is a player that would give the Hawks an element that the current roster lacks... a dominant interior defensive presence to block layups and minimize offensive rebounds by the opponents. Could she make a difference for next season?
Yes !! Mulkey had 19 points, 12 rebounds, and 7 blocked shots to lead Rice to a WNIT championship.. Her rebounding and shot blocking is just what the Hawks need.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
What about a graduate transfer? Iowa has one scholarship to spare for next fall. Here is a player that would give the Hawks an element that the current roster lacks... a dominant interior defensive presence to block layups and minimize offensive rebounds by the opponents. Could she make a difference for next season?

I know basically nothing about her game, but I doubt the Coaches would be interested in her. The reason for that is Czinano. To be effective as a rim protector, Mulkey would need to play the 5 defensively for a big chunk of the game. That would mean Czinano would have to guard a 4 defensively in player to player defense, and that she would have to play one of the corner positions in a 2-3 zone. I don't think she's capable of doing that at a high enough level for a variety of reasons.

Adding Mulkey would also move Warnock to the 3 (a position she hasn't played at Iowa), would harm our offensive spacing (because we would have 1 less three-point shooter on the floor most of the game), and would leave Goodman and O'Grady with few if any minutes.

I would love to add strong interior defense to this team, but I don't think that player can be a 5.

Reactions: r448chlpo
We live in Dallas and go to quite a few SMU women's games. Rice played at SMU two years ago and I remember her. In two years things change, but then she was razor thin and noticeably slower than the other SMU and Rice players. She got rebounds and blocks simply because of her height. I don't think she could play at the speed Bluder likes to play and in the physical Big Ten she's get pushed around and out muscled. Maybe since I saw her play her game has changed.

Assuming Iowa doesn't have any transfers, the coaches should be commended for being able to keep the entire team together, especially when the rotation was only 7 or 8 deep at the end of the season. Clearly there are players on roster with little hope of significant future playing time. It says a lot about the team and school culture that those players want to stay with the team rather than seek more playing time
I agree with you. These are great student athletes lisa has recruited. They get along great, they truly enjoy the game and each other. It is a great wbb team to cheer for and I am happy with whatever results they give us.

Here's the most updated on I have, in the next few months expect some more movement on the recruiting front.

2022 Prospects Committed or Offered:
Hannah Stuelke - Cedar Rapids, IA (6'0 W - Committed)
Jada Gyamfi - Urbandale, IA (6'1 F - Committed)
Taylor McCabe - Freemont, NE (5'9 G) (Committed)
Acacia Hayes - Murfreesboro, TN (5'7 PG) (Made Top 8 List)
Beatrice Culliton - Overland Park, KS (6'3 C)
Saniah Tyler - St; Louis, MO (5'6 PG)
Alyssa Crockett - Westfield, IN (6'1 F) (committed to Michigan 3/5)
Ruby Whitehorn - Detroit, MI (6'0 W)
Taylor Charles - Chicago, IL (6'2 F)
Mya Petticord - Ypsilanti, MI (5'9 PG)
Ayanna Patterson - Ft. Wayne, IN (6'2 F) (committed to UCONN)

2022 Prospects on the coaching staff's radar:
Emma Ingersoll-Weng - Iowa City, IA(5'6 PG) - If Hayes or Tyler go elsewhere, she is worth an offer.
Brooke Blumenfeld - Glenbrooke, IL (6'0 F)
Madisen Wardell - Detroit, MI (6'0 F)
Ysabella Fontleroy - Columbia, MO (6'1 F)
Payton Sterk - Colorado Springs, CO (5'9 PG - Dec 2019 campus visit)

2023 Prospects With Offers:
Jordan Wood - Mundelein, IL (6'2 F)
KK Arnold - Germantown, WI (5'6 PG)
Emily Fisher - Libertyville, IL (6'0 G)(Likely headed to ISU)
Ashlynn Shade - Noblesville, IN (5'10 G)
Amiyah Reynolds - South Bend, IN (6'0 PG)
Lisa Thompson - Joliet, ILL (5'8 G)
Katie Eidle - Arlington Heights, ILL (5'11 G)
Audi Crooks - Algona Garrigan (6'4 P)
Sahara Williams - Waterloo West (5'11)

2023 Prospects on the coaching staffs radar:
Jenna Hopp - Glenwood, IA (5'10 G)
Katelyn (KK) Jones - Lantana, TX (5'6 PG)
Kaliyah Sain - Cedar Rapids Kennedy (5'10 G)
Ke'Ayla Madison - DSM, Roosevelt (5'5 PG)
Joy Bergstrom - Chicago, IL (5'11 G)
Smya Nichols - Overland Park, KS (6'0 W)
Aaliyah Beier - Linn Mar HS, IA (5'6 G)
Jenna Twedt - Benton, IA (5'8 G)
Kora Kipley - Arlington Heights, IL (5'7 G)
Nevaeh Quinn - Menasha, WI (5'8 G)
Molly Joyce - Algona Garrigan (5'7 PG)
Whitney Lind - Union, KY (6'2 W)
Molly Noelck - Johnston, IA (5'9 PG)
Halli Poock - Waterloo, IA (5'5 PG)
Mari Bickley - Akron, OH (5'10 PG)
Avree Antony - Sun Prairie, WI (5'9 G)
Tessa Johnson - Albertville, MN (5'10 G)

2024 Prospects With Offers:
Olivia Olson - St. Louis Park, MN (6'0 PG)
Britt Prince - Elkhorn, NE (6'0 PG)

2024 Prospects:
Callie Levin - Solon, IA (5'9 W)
Elise Jaeger - West Des Moines (Valley), IA (5'10 G)
Ava Holman - Brooklyn Park, MN (5'5 PG)
Aliyah Al-Hameed - Ankeny, IA (5'8 PG)
Reagan Briggs - Verona, WI (5'9 G)
Chloe Spreen - Lawrence, IN (5'8 G)
Aili Tanke - Johnston, IA (5'8 G)
Aaliyah Riley - Johnston, IA (5'5 PG)
Kayl Petersen - Waupun, WI (6'0 Wing)
Brooke Carlson - Batavia, IL (5'7 G)
Amiah Hargrove - Christopher, IL (6'2 W)
Allie Ziebell - Neenah, WI (6'0 W)

2025 Prospects
Journey Houston - Davenport, IA
Divine Binion - Davenport, IA
Jada Podey - North Polk, IA
Nikki Kerstein - Deerfield, IL

2026 Prospects
Jenica Lewis - Johnston, IA (Mentioned as the #1 player in her class nationally)
I know she's still very young but here's a Jenica Lewis highlight video.

Reactions: cyberhawk
We live in Dallas and go to quite a few SMU women's games. Rice played at SMU two years ago and I remember her. In two years things change, but then she was razor thin and noticeably slower than the other SMU and Rice players. She got rebounds and blocks simply because of her height. I don't think she could play at the speed Bluder likes to play and in the physical Big Ten she's get pushed around and out muscled. Maybe since I saw her play her game has changed.
Thanks for the report. It would be really helpful for Iowa to add a tall rebounder/shot blocker. I mean, the number of opponent offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points surrendered is off the charts bad. Cut that in half and Iowa is a much stronger contender.

I understand that Bluder's offense is fast paced so any addition to the team would need to fit the system but Iowa will never make a F4 run unless they substantially improve D rebounding IMO.

Re: the Jenica Lewis highlights above- she is very impressive! That said, remember the old-school rule prohibiting "palming the ball". Lewis would not be able to make it 3 steps down the court if that rule was in place today! Just a comment, no negativity intended (in this oh
so sensitive era.)

Reactions: Wadukester
I also would probably limit my search to someone that can play the wing. We're set at the 1. There aren't many 5s that would jump Czinano on the depth chart even with her defensive issues. Warnock is pretty close to the perfect 4 for our current system, and I doubt there are many 4s that would jump her on the depth chart.

I'm not aware of every available transfer, but Diamond Johnson from Rutgers is the only name that has really stuck out to me. She did great at Rutgers, shoots really well, and is probably a decent defender given that she went to Rutgers. Otherwise, I would look for a player in the mold of Veronica Burton from Northwestern--a great perimeter defender that can still shoot the three and contributes on the glass.

I don't think we need to replace Marshall or Martin by any means. Just that the wing seems like the easiest position to improve in the starting lineup if we were going to add a transfer.
From ‘Clone to Hawk? From what I hear..........yep!

Huh? I don't understand what you are getting at.
I assume he/she is hearing Kylie Feuerbach (who played her first year at Iowa State) is transferring to Iowa.

When she announced she was transferring someone on the Iowa State forum suggested that Iowa was her likely destination based on what they were hearing. I mentioned at the time (I believe on the other WBB thread) that her coming to Iowa made some sense because she played with Clark and several other players on our team in AAU. The coaches would already have a good sense of how she would fit in with the team because of that.

I assume he/she is hearing Kylie Feuerbach (who played her first year at Iowa State) is transferring to Iowa.

When she announced she was transferring someone on the Iowa State forum suggested that Iowa was her likely destination based on what they were hearing. I mentioned at the time (I believe on the other WBB thread) that her coming to Iowa made some sense because she played with Clark and several other players on our team in AAU. The coaches would already have a good sense of how she would fit in with the team because of that.
Payback for Stacy Frese! Her transfer to Iowa State pretty much kickstarted Bill Fennelly's career.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye

He be right.

Also not sure if this means anything but she has recently followed coach Raina and Jan's son on Instagram. They have also recently followed her as well as coach Abby Stamp and Hannah Bluder

Reactions: Psyclone
For those who don't remember/weren't here then, hawkbuck had info about Clark committing to Iowa and when the announcement would happen a few days in advance.

So to review, we have a previously reliable source saying Feuerbach to Iowa. We have someone on the Iowa State forum also saying it soon after she announced her transfer. And Feuerbach and the Iowa coaching staff are mutually following each other on social media (as huntermmm pointed out). That's too much smoke for there not to be fire. I think we're going to have a new Hawkeye soon.

For those who don't remember/weren't here then, hawkbuck had info about Clark committing to Iowa and when the announcement would happen a few days in advance.

So to review, we have a previously reliable source saying Feuerbach to Iowa. We have someone on the Iowa State forum also saying it soon after she announced her transfer. And Feuerbach and the Iowa coaching staff are mutually following each other on social media (as huntermmm pointed out). That's too much smoke for there not to be fire. I think we're going to have a new Hawkeye soon.
If everything turns out to be true, this is exciting! Does anyone know when's the last time the program has had a transfer in? This also means we'll have 4 4-stars and 1 5-star on the roster for next season.

If everything turns out to be true, this is exciting! Does anyone know when's the last time the program has had a transfer in? This also means we'll have 4 4-stars and 1 5-star on the roster for next season.
A few weeks ago we had this discussion, and someone said Kristi Faulkner in 2000 (Bluder's first year). That is amazing if they haven't had any since then. (I cannot remember anyone else. I have most of the media guides, but haven't yet become that interested/bored to go through them.) Maybe if/when it becomes official, Lisa will tell us.

If no one leaves, I think this would put them at 15 scholarships for the first time since?

BTW, ISU is adding Nyamer Diew of Sioux City East and Butler.

huntermmm said:
A few weeks ago we had this discussion, and someone said Kristi Faulkner in 2000 (Bluder's first year). That is amazing if they haven't had any since then. (I cannot remember anyone else. I have most of the media guides, but haven't yet become that interested/bored to go through them.) Maybe if/when it becomes official, Lisa will tell us.

If no one leaves, I think this would put them at 15 scholarships for the first time since?

Last Iowa transfer I remember was JoAnn Hamlin 2006-2010 from K State

What is she going to add to Iowa's team.
Presuming it happens, she's going to be one of the better athletes on the team. She's also 6 feet and long, so she should help defensively as well at the 2/3 positions. If Iowa wants to take the next step, I think improving the overall athleticism and depth will be key in that. Kylie should help with that. The staff will be very familiar with her from her years with All Iowa Attack, so I'm sure they have a good idea of what they're getting.

Also, for what it's worth, Kathleen Doyle shot 36% overall and 21% from 3 her freshman year.

Presuming it happens, she's going to be one of the better athletes on the team. She's also 6 feet and long, so she should help defensively as well at the 2/3 positions. If Iowa wants to take the next step, I think improving the overall athleticism and depth will be key in that. Kylie should help with that. The staff will be very familiar with her from her years with All Iowa Attack, so I'm sure they have a good idea of what they're getting.

Also, for what it's worth, Kathleen Doyle shot 36% overall and 21% from 3 her freshman year.
In some order, she and Affolter should become the second and third best drivers on the team.

Reactions: hawkshawn

Last Iowa transfer I remember was JoAnn Hamlin 2006-2010 from K State
Kalli Hansen played for Iowa from 2010 to 2012 after two years in Kirkwood. I still have her bobblehead!

Thanks, I wondered about her size and other parts of her game. Interesting comparison. we'll see.

Kylie has a complete skill set. She can handle, pass , drive, defend and shoot. If true an excellent pickup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT