ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting for the future

Fennelly at ISU is apparently a loose cannon in practice. He's publicly berated kids during games.
I think it's now understandable how he gets along with ole man Joens .

Is there a possibility that Taiwo transfers? Going into next year, she will be the only black player and that is not a very good look. Hopefully she stays because she does bring athleticism to the team, especially at the defensive end. Just to be clear...I'm not trying to stir the pot and I have no inside info regarding this but the guard court is a little crowded.

This is who should start
1. Clark
2. Artorfer
3. Marshall
4. Warnock
5. Cziano
back up 1: Meyer
back up 2and3 Martin
back up 4 and 5 O'Grady
Bench: Jensen(1), Taiwo(2), Feurbach(3), Edinger(4), Goodman(5)
14th: Cook
15th:Wetering

Is there a possibility that Taiwo transfers? Going into next year, she will be the only black player and that is not a very good look. Hopefully she stays because she does bring athleticism to the team, especially at the defensive end. Just to be clear...I'm not trying to stir the pot and I have no inside info regarding this but the guard court is a little crowded.
Her bio says she is studying pre-med, so maybe she wants an education as much as basketball glory

Reactions: crstuff and LinusPF
I'm not too worried about Feuerbach's poor shooting numbers. She still may have a lot of upside being a former top 100 recruit. It's possible her offense could open up especially with Clark on the floor. If she can at the very least provide some competent defense and rebounding minutes then she will immediately have value.

Also, ignoring the unique time of Covid and reducing transfer restrictions, does Iowa get a top 100 transfer if not for the improvement in this program from GOAT-Doyle-Clark? I'm not sure.

Seeing as it's already happening, what is everyone's lineup predictions?
Starting 5:
1. Clark, Backup: Meyer
2. Marshall, Backups: Jensen, Feuerbach
3. Martin, Backups: Affolter, Taiwo
4. Warnock, Backup: Ediger
5. Czinano, Backups: Goodman, O'Grady
I think Cook and Wetering will get extremely little playing time.

I do think Affolter has the talent, but Martin will start. And of course it's difficult to predict how her high school performance will transfer to college play.

Gabbie Marshall says hi

Martin will be in a starter no matter how good the freshman are. She is best defender on the team. She won't be coming off the bench.

Presuming it happens, she's going to be one of the better athletes on the team. She's also 6 feet and long, so she should help defensively as well at the 2/3 positions. If Iowa wants to take the next step, I think improving the overall athleticism and depth will be key in that. Kylie should help with that. The staff will be very familiar with her from her years with All Iowa Attack, so I'm sure they have a good idea of what they're getting.

Also, for what it's worth, Kathleen Doyle shot 36% overall and 21% from 3 her freshman year.
Good point!

This is who should start
1. Clark
2. Artorfer
3. Marshall
4. Warnock
5. Cziano
back up 1: Meyer
back up 2and3 Martin
back up 4 and 5 O'Grady
Bench: Jensen(1), Taiwo(2), Feurbach(3), Edinger(4), Goodman(5)
14th: Cook
15th:Wetering
This could ultimately be the Jimmy John's starting 5 by season's end. If Affolter can climb that ladder she may well get there.

Not to pitnick, but can this talk go on the main WBB thread, or someone start a 2021-22 thread? I think folks would like easy-to-find recruiting news.

I really hope the fans/media don't turn it into that. It's probably nothing more than Feurbach and Caitlin wanting to play together again.

Here's a quote from Jeff Linder's article about Feuerbach transferring:

“I don’t want to get too deep into it,” Feuerbach said about her decision to leave Iowa State. “It just wasn’t a great fit for me. It’s a great school, and I love the players. It just wasn’t the best fit for me."

Elsewhere in the article she mentions liking the Iowa coaches. She never mentions the Iowa State coaches. Based on her comments, I think her relationship with the Iowa State coaches is at least part of the reason she didn't think Iowa State was a great fit, but we'll never know for sure. I also don't think it matters much. Sometimes players and coaches don't connect well. That's just life.

I do think she came to Iowa because she's already familiar with Clark and several other players on our team. She was a starter at Iowa State. It's far from a guarantee she'll be a starter at Iowa. Clark seemed pretty excited about her joining the team on social media yesterday.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Martin will be in a starter no matter how good the freshman are. She is best defender on the team. She won't be coming off the bench.
From what I've read, Feuerbach's style of play is a lot closer to Martin's than Marshall's. Based on that, I think if she starts sometime this season not due to injury, it's more likely that she starts in place of Martin than Marshall.

That said, we haven't seen her play for Iowa yet. It's way too early to pencil her into the starting lineup or even into a significant role off the bench. And if Feuerbach is starter quality, I would still expect her, Martin, and Marshall to all get 20+ minutes.

Come on guys, Lisa wouldn’t bring in an ISU player if she didn’t think she had starting ability..

Not to pitnick, but can this talk go on the main WBB thread, or someone start a 2021-22 thread? I think folks would like easy-to-find recruiting news.

I really hope the fans/media don't turn it into that. It's probably nothing more than Feurbach and Caitlin wanting to play together again.
I watched the A&M game and everyone saw BF chewing players out as they came to the huddle during a timeout.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that he's likely worse during practices. Maybe even physically.
BF is well past his glory days.

Reactions: undersized_post
I watched the A&M game and everyone saw BF chewing players out as they came to the huddle during a timeout.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that he's likely worse during practices. Maybe even physically.
BF is well past his glory days.
He also unprompted used his postgame presser to question the athletes speaking out against the discrepancies in the tourney set up that the women had versus the men. A weird thing to do! Surprised only two players left, to be honest.

Reactions: undersized_post
He also unprompted used his postgame presser to question the athletes speaking out against the discrepancies in the tourney set up that the women had versus the men. A weird thing to do! Surprised only two players left, to be honest.
I think he knows the end is near. Some of these veteran coaches hang on too long.
This is shaping up like a Bobby Knight exit.

I tend to agree with this. No reason to bring in a guard unless Lisa sees immediate upgrade. Guard position is deep now.
Not guards that will drive!! In wbb good things happen when you drive: a basket, a foul, a dish, outback. Women defenders do not have the length or vertical to stop many

Not guards that will drive!! In wbb good things happen when you drive: a basket, a foul, a dish, outback. Women defenders do not have the length or vertical to stop many
Yeah and Kathleen Doyle & Caitlin Clark proved that for Iowa so we are aware. I also don't think WBB has less rim defenders or perimeter defense than men and I am pretty sure the stats would say that. That said, you're right it is a good thing to attack the rim no matter what!

EDIT: not the thread for this discussion! The AIA video of our commits is great

Last edited:

Unless they are guarding Marshall. I swear I've never seen a player get their layup attempts blocked more often than Marshall did this season. She brings a lot of things to the team, but driving to the basket is not one of them.

Reactions: retrodent
Unless they are guarding Marshall. I swear I've never seen a player get their layup attempts blocked more often than Marshall did this season. She brings a lot of things to the team, but driving to the basket is not one of them.

I've posted before, Gabby needs to stop and shoot the 10 footer, because bad things happen generally if she takes it further.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT