ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting for the future

I hear one of the reasons Kylie F. left ISU was because she hated playing with Ashley Joens who most on their team feel is a ball hog.

Yup, Gabbie absolutely DESPISED it in the B1G tourney when Rutgers brought so much defensive attention to Caitlin that Gabbie got to just stand on the wing/corner and knock down 7 wide open 3's. Gabbie would much rather work more for her points. (tone: sarcasm)

Give me a break! 😂😂😂

Reactions: iarick and BGHAWK
Lauren Jensen leaving. Reason: Kylie Feuerbach.
Jensen probably knew PT would be even more limited. Iowa already has a ton of young guards and Jensen hadn't cracked the 2 deeps. She was inconsistent shooting the ball and lacked mental awareness for defense. Missing the preseason practice and workouts really set her back. Megan and Tomi were able to pass her on the depth chart and I think a lot of that was due to them already having experience and time in the weight room. I feel bad for Jensen as you don't like to see players recruited over but to her benefit she is just a freshman and can still play 4 years of BB due to the COVID rule. If I were her, then I would look at Wisconsin or Purdue who have lost players to the portal and where there might be room for her to compete. She would have probably had to sit for two years with limited playing time if she stayed at Iowa. She showed flashes and if she finds the right fit she could still be a great player somewhere down the line but she needs time to develop her game.

Yup, Gabbie absolutely DESPISED it in the B1G tourney when Rutgers brought so much defensive attention to Caitlin that Gabbie got to just stand on the wing/corner and knock down 7 wide open 3's. Gabbie would much rather work more for her points. (tone: sarcasm)

Give me a break! 😂😂😂
5fd19d0835895.image.jpg

A.J. (Allison) Ediger received high honor...

A.J. EDIGER, HAMILTON, Sr.
A double-double machine, she can’t be stopped under the boards as the go-getting piles up the rebounds and the points. She averaged 22.1 points and 10.4 rebounds per contest and was also goo for 3.0 steals, 1.5 assists and 1.5 blocks. She is Big Ten-bound after signing with Iowa.

Going forward with recruiting, if we were to take one more for 2022 (although I don't think we will) what position do we need the most? If we keep the 2022 class the way it is then what are our biggest needs for 2023 recruits?

Not to mention two seniors who combined for a total of about 180 minutes or approximately 3% of the team total.

Last edited:
Going forward with recruiting, if we were to take one more for 2022 (although I don't think we will) what position do we need the most? If we keep the 2022 class the way it is then what are our biggest needs for 2023 recruits?
The 2023 class will (in theory) replace next year's junior class (Warnock, Marshall, Martin, Meyer) on the roster. I say in theory because some or all of those players could choose to play an additional season due to the rules in place for this season. That's certainly going to complicate roster decisions moving forward, so I'm not sure we can say with confidence how big the 2023 class will be yet.

I am fairly confident the class will include at least two guards. The 2021 class includes a 3 (Affolter), a 4/5 (Ediger), and a 5 (O'Grady). I haven't reviewed the 2022 class in depth, but from tapes McCabe is clearly a guard and both Stuelke and Gyamfi look like 4s. With two forward-heavy classes before it, the 2023 class should be guard-heavy.

Reactions: cyberhawk
The 2023 class will (in theory) replace next year's junior class (Warnock, Marshall, Martin, Meyer) on the roster. I say in theory because some or all of those players could choose to play an additional season due to the rules in place for this season. That's certainly going to complicate roster decisions moving forward, so I'm not sure we can say with confidence how big the 2023 class will be yet.

I am fairly confident the class will include at least two guards. The 2021 class includes a 3 (Affolter), a 4/5 (Ediger), and a 5 (O'Grady). I haven't reviewed the 2022 class in depth, but from tapes McCabe is clearly a guard and both Stuelke and Gyamfi look like 4s. With two forward-heavy classes before it, the 2023 class should be guard-heavy.
Just a note, O'Grady has played a lot of 4 in both HS and AAU ball. Don't know what Jan Jensen plans for her, but she has the athleticism to play the 4.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Cyber or Braydon, what is the scoop on Hallie Poock the point guard from Waterloo West? She looks terrific on tape and will be a junior next year. Any interest from the Hawks?

Cyber or Braydon, what is the scoop on Hallie Poock the point guard from Waterloo West? She looks terrific on tape and will be a junior next year. Any interest from the Hawks?
I have no inside information. The AAU season is underway so we should start hearing more about offers in the next few months.

Just a note, O'Grady has played a lot of 4 in both HS and AAU ball. Don't know what Jan Jensen plans for her, but she has the athleticism to play the 4.
I absolutely think she could play the 4 like Hannah Stewart and Chase Coley did in our old offensive system. I don't think she's a great fit for the 4 in our current system, though.

I also think the current system is likely to stay. Ediger looks like she can play the 4 in our current system, though she could also play the 5. Both Stuelke and Gyamfi look suited to play the 4 in our current system.

I also think O'Grady would play 5 in high school/AAU if she weren't on a team with Lauren Betts (the top rated 5 recruit in the 2022 class). O'Grady looks like a natural 5 to me.

I also have no insider information. I've seen Poock play at state a couple times, but haven't studied her game in-depth.

My biggest concern with her is height. Driving is a big part of her game right now, both in scoring and in creating opportunities for an easy assist. Do the coaches think she would still be able to finish against P5 opponents? If the answer to that question is no, I think the coaches might look for other targets.

Having a 1 that can finish at the basket is a big reason Iowa's offense has been so good the last few years. Scoring on drives is great, but the threat of the 1 driving to the basket also helps create space for our shooters and space for our 5. If our future 1 isn't a driving threat, (i.e. if she's too small to finish effectively at the basket) there will be repercussions for the entire offense.

Thanks for the info. I have noticed Iowa has offered her also to be jr. teammate, Sahara Williams.

I absolutely think she could play the 4 like Hannah Stewart and Chase Coley did in our old offensive system. I don't think she's a great fit for the 4 in our current system, though.

I also think the current system is likely to stay. Ediger looks like she can play the 4 in our current system, though she could also play the 5. Both Stuelke and Gyamfi look suited to play the 4 in our current system.

I also think O'Grady would play 5 in high school/AAU if she weren't on a team with Lauren Betts (the top rated 5 recruit in the 2022 class). O'Grady looks like a natural 5 to me.
Remind us what the difference is between the old and current offensive systems. All I know is Warnock can hit the 3 while Stewart and Coley had limited range so different spacing.

Reactions: BGHAWK
She's probably too short for B1g and her attitude is toxic.

Remind us what the difference is between the old and current offensive systems. All I know is Warnock can hit the 3 while Stewart and Coley had limited range so different spacing.
Simplifying a bit: in the old system the 4 was a second post, often playing in the post, around the free-throw line, or in the short corner a little away from the post. I don't recall Hannah Stewart or Chase Coley spending much if any time beyond the three-point line.

In the current system, the 4 plays mostly on the perimeter. Warnock rarely if ever posts up her defender. Warnock doesn't take her defender off the dribble a lot from the perimeter, but has the capability of doing so, which means defenders have to respect it.

Someone tell her almost 14,000 fans cheered Gustafson to a sweet 16 victory and we're top 10 in attendance each year. Every day is like crushing Twitter!
Sweet 16 victory was in Greensboro, NC, before 6500 fans, but Jasmine may not know that.:)
The round of 32 game was before 12K Hawkeye fans, even though the Hawkeye men were playing at the same time in the NCAAs.

Reactions: crstuff
Sweet 16 victory was in Greensboro, NC, before 6500 fans, but Jasmine may not know that.:)
The round of 32 game was before 12K Hawkeye fans, even though the Hawkeye men were playing at the same time in the NCAAs.
Yes 32, thanks for the correction. I thought the attendance for that game was announced over 13,500.

Yes 32, thanks for the correction. I thought the attendance for that game was announced over 13,500.
I was going off the boxscore. I know the 2-day attendance was an all-time record for first round games. That is really impressive given that all of the big "boys" get to host.
And that the Iowa men were playing at the same time of BOTH Iowa women's games. I watched the second halves (and the OT) of the men's games on my phone at CHA. Thanks NCAA!

Last edited:
Reactions: crstuff
Iowa also officially announced a Cyclone transfer to the women's soccer team today. I saw that first and figured this announcement would come very soon too. What's next, a couple of Iowa State transfers to the volleyball team to make it finally go over the hump?

I was going off the boxscore. I know the 2-day attendance was an all-time record for first round games. That is really impressive given that all of the big "boys" get to host.
And that the Iowa men were playing at the same time of BOTH Iowa women's games. I watched the second halves (and the OT) of the men's games on my phone at CHA. Thanks NCAA!
I remember the overtime games, and watching them over your shoulder @ Carver 😉

Someone tell her almost 14,000 fans cheered Gustafson to a sweet 16 victory and we're top 10 in attendance each year. Every day is like crushing Twitter!
There was a huge attendance for Megan G’s number retirement ceremony. That was in late January 2019 against MSU. Average attendance for the WBB home games increased to over 7100 in ‘19/‘20 from less than 5000 just four years before. I calculated that at the time to be more than 50% increase. That corresponds to MG’s last 3 years plus KD’s Sr season. Interest for the Iowa WBB is at an all time high!

ADVERTISEMENT