ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting for the future

Wonder how many college coaches are willing/able to follow their target to the other side of the world! Jan and Lisa were there only 48 hrs!

I really hope they succeed. Could be Lisa B's last chance to recruit a player with that type of recruiting profile.

Last chance?

Clark is a an athletic, national top 5 (or higher) guard who is coveted by national powers (e.g. N.D. & Louisville) that prize athletic guards. I can't think of a similar player that has seriously considered Iowa in a long time. Perhaps I've forgotten someone. Also, as good or great as Samantha Logic was, the schools that most prize athleticism stayed away because she lacked certain athletic attributes. Indeed, when you revisit her ESPN recruiting profile, it is filled with what read like left-handed compliments: Her lack of blazing foot speed will always serve as an Achilles' heel, but her passing skills will more than make up for it. . . . Nobody is going to call her speedy at the defensive end but she understands gaps and has the lateral first step that helps her stay in front of opponents. If Lisa misses on Clark, I don't know when she will have a realistic chance of securing a recruit with a similar profile.

Reactions: 12Pitcher!
Are the two McDermotts related to the Greg McDermott, current Creighton men's coach and former UNI and Iowa State coach?

If that source is correct she'd basically be down Notre Dame, Iowa State, and Iowa wouldn't she? She was most strongly connected with those schools and the Oregon schools, and Oregon already has a huge 2020 class with 3 guards.

Oregon used their last 2020 scholarship on 6'7 transfer Sedona Prince but they could still be a possibility based on how rosters are managed these days. Iowa St. has a lot of highly ranked guards coming in too including Lexi Donarski (PG #13 overall ESPN). Will be interesting to see where she takes her official visits.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...alists-iowa-iowa-state-notre-dame/1907572001/

Clark's down to Iowa, Notre Dame, and Iowa State as her final three. She took unofficial visits to Iowa and Notre Dame in June, but hasn't visited ISU since winter. Her quotes in the article are also specific as to Iowa and Notre Dame, but more general for Iowa State. Reading between the lines a bit, I think it's really down to Iowa and Notre Dame, as we've kind of suspected for the last few months. Hopefully we get some good news before basketball season.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...alists-iowa-iowa-state-notre-dame/1907572001/

Clark's down to Iowa, Notre Dame, and Iowa State as her final three. She took unofficial visits to Iowa and Notre Dame in June, but hasn't visited ISU since winter. Her quotes in the article are also specific as to Iowa and Notre Dame, but more general for Iowa State. Reading between the lines a bit, I think it's really down to Iowa and Notre Dame, as we've kind of suspected for the last few months. Hopefully we get some good news before basketball season.

Hope you're right because the current Iowa State recruiting class is crazy good, and Clark would be an amazing cherry on top for ISU.

Hope you're right because the current Iowa State recruiting class is crazy good, and Clark would be an amazing cherry on top for ISU.
I think their 2020 class might be a slight problem for them in recruiting Clark. Getting 5 highly rated guards all under 6'0' in one class is kind of insane. Playing time would be a major issue, whether it's Clark getting fewer minutes than she might at Iowa, or her forcing another highly rated guard or two to the bench.

The home-state hero narrative also plays better at Iowa. ISU has the Joens girls that are/were highly rated and from the state. Iowa doesn't have any in-state blue chippers, or any other blue chippers at all, really.

Reactions: JAMAM
She seems like a awesome kid and of a course a great player, but her 'wanting to win a National Championship' talk has me thinking she's leaning toward the team that is in the running for a National Championship every year.

Iowa St. in recent years has played primarily a 4 guard lineup so playing time for Clark wouldn't be an issue. With Donarski, their other top 15 point guard commit Clark could play off the ball at times utilizing her scoring ability.

Iowa also has some nice recruits coming in the next few seasons including her AAU teammate Shateah Wetering & just having Caitlin at Iowa could attract other top players too. She really does lay out good reasons for attending each school, hope she picks Iowa though!

Reactions: cyberhawk
Iowa St. in recent years has played primarily a 4 guard lineup so playing time for Clark wouldn't be an issue. With Donarski, their other top 15 point guard commit Clark could play off the ball at times utilizing her scoring ability.

Iowa also has some nice recruits coming in the next few seasons including her AAU teammate Shateah Wetering & just having Caitlin at Iowa could attract other top players too. She really does lay out good reasons for attending each school, hope she picks Iowa though!

Some of Iowa's upcoming recruits might be a tad underrated because they come from smaller schools. McKenna Warnock could be a great scorer with her size and shooting ability. Wetering is a really good athlete who has significant upside if she develops a consistent shot. I've liked Sharon Goodman's high school tape more than Monika's and Monika had a decent freshman season.

Landing Clark could have a significant impact on Iowa's 2021 and 2022 recruiting. It's not hard to imagine Clark and a few other highly rated recruits going on another Elite 8 run or better. Iowa could pursue those highly rated recruits with a star PG in place, a recent history of NCAA Tournament success, and with more immediate playing time than the very top teams can likely offer.

Found this on another forum I follow. Don't know how accurate this is but according to the poster Caitlin Clark has scheduled an official visit to Notre Dame on October 12. I had thought she hoped to decide much sooner so not sure what to make of this. I know she visited Notre Dame & Iowa earlier this summer on un-officials so hopefully Iowa will get an official too.

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/non-uconn-recruiting-information.107179/post-3246729

The visitors listed to Notre Dame on 9/28 are both point guards with Deja Kelly ranked #19 overall by ESPN & Sarah Andrews #7 overall by ESPN - although the latter reportedly didn't include Notre Dame in her top 5 released recently.

Last edited:
Found this on another forum I follow. Don't know how accurate this is but according to the poster Caitlin Clark has scheduled an official visit to Notre Dame on October 12. I had thought she hoped to decide much sooner so not sure what to make of this. I know she visited Notre Dame & Iowa earlier this summer on un-officials so hopefully Iowa will get an official too.

https://the-boneyard.com/threads/non-uconn-recruiting-information.107179/post-3246729

The visitors listed to Notre Dame on 9/28 are both point guards with Deja Kelly ranked #19 overall by ESPN & Sarah Andrews #7 overall by ESPN - although the latter reportedly didn't include Notre Dame in her top 5 released recently.
ND already has Allison Campbell committed who is the #6 ranked PG in the nation. That link also mentioned that Alasia Hayes would be on the same ND visit. Kelly and Hayes (8th and 10th ranked PGs) visiting on 9/28, before Clark's October OV. If one of them commits before Clark, that makes a really crowded 2020 class of top ranked PGs.

Also it has probably had already been mentioned here, but ISU's 2020 class is stacked with guards- http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/66/class/2020

Donarski and Ryan are the #6 and #25 PG in the country. Joens and Feuerbach are the 17th and 27th ranked 'Guards' in the country. Clark will be the top dog wherever she goes but she'll be clearly the only one if she chooses Iowa.

I still think ND has all the advantages. Maybe the backcourt competition won't hinder Clark's interest in the Irish, but it could be something.

Reactions: cyberhawk
ND already has Allison Campbell committed who is the #6 ranked PG in the nation. That link also mentioned that Alasia Hayes would be on the same ND visit. Kelly and Hayes (8th and 10th ranked PGs) visiting on 9/28, before Clark's October OV. If one of them commits before Clark, that makes a really crowded 2020 class of top ranked PGs.

Also it has probably had already been mentioned here, but ISU's 2020 class is stacked with guards- http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/66/class/2020

Donarski and Ryan are the #6 and #25 PG in the country. Joens and Feuerbach are the 17th and 27th ranked 'Guards' in the country. Clark will be the top dog wherever she goes but she'll be clearly the only one if she chooses Iowa.

I still think ND has all the advantages. Maybe the backcourt competition won't hinder Clark's interest in the Irish, but it could be something.

It is mentioned by ND posters in that thread Allison Campbell wasn't recruited as a point guard & will play the 2/3 positions, but obviously she could fill in if need be. Notre Dame still has a lot of guards though & will go back to their 4 guard offense. I am guessing Notre Dame will hold a spot until Caitlin decides as she is clearly their top target.

Iowa St. Has very good young talent and I've read where many feel Donarski is underrated due to the fact she committed to them as a freshmen & hasn't been viewed as often since then. With her 3 finalist all running 4-out offenses featuring guards she will have a tough decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT