ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting for the future

She's taken unofficial visits to Michigan State, Ohio State, DePaul, Purdue, and Wisconsin in the last couple months. It seems like she posts her unofficial visits on Twitter and Iowa wasn't one of them. That doesn't necessarily mean Iowa isn't one of her top schools, but I don't think it's a great sign. I also haven't seen her mentioned as a player the coaches are watching at AAU tournaments.
It's been while but she's already visited Iowa. Hopefully Iowa is still in it, she's a good player.

Reactions: cyberhawk
It's been while but she's already visited Iowa. Hopefully Iowa is still in it, she's a good player.
Just to add to this, I found posts mentioning visits to Purdue, Iowa, Michigan, Illinois, and Marquette x2 before the pandemic. Purdue and Marquette are the only schools she's visited twice. Visiting Purdue a second time makes sense given that the coaching staff is changing. Marquette also went through a coaching change around that time.

It appears she was mostly completing visits to interested schools in the last couple months rather than returning to schools that she's most interested in a second time.

Oh yes, they still are going hard after Olivia Olson.

“Olson is taller, stronger and more capable of playing multiple positions than Bueckers was at the same age. [Olson] is very similar in terms of seeing the floor. I've talked to college coaches, people I trust, and they have said they think she can be the best player in college basketball at some point.”
Nick Storm, Minnesota Fury basketball

Last edited:
Unsure if it will make a difference in her recruiting as she already put out a top 12 without Iowa in it, but KK Arnold appears to be switching to All Iowa Attack for her last AAU season. (Per her social media banners)

Unsure if it will make a difference in her recruiting as she already put out a top 12 without Iowa in it, but KK Arnold appears to be switching to All Iowa Attack for her last AAU season. (Per her social media banners)
Yes, she has put that out there. Attack has been feeding both Iowa and Iowa St. some big time talent. Never too late to entertain another school or two.

Reactions: natchrlman
Back when Tanke committed to ISU I sent my sister a text about it, she had both of her children graduate from ISU. She sent me back " I wouldn't commit to ISU until I knew for sure which conference they were going to be in".

Grant McGinnis

@GMacHoops

Tune in at 5:30 pm CDT as
@OliviaOlson2024
makes her
@usabasketball
debut in Mexico. The USA U16s open the tournament against Chile. Liv is the top-ranked player in the
@PGHMinnesota
Class of 2024 from
@BSMGirlsHoops
&
@MinnesotaFury
UAA.

CYy1UeIn

LIVE - USA v Chile | FIBA U16 Americas Women's Championship 2021
Watch #live the Group Phase game between USA and Chile at the FIBA U16 Americas Women's Championship 2021.#basketball #baloncesto #basquete #basquetebol #농구 ...
youtube.com

Reactions: Tunadog
This is formatting a little weird for me so here's the link to the game:

2024 G Olivia Olson and 2023 P Maggie Mendelson (#13, pictured above) are the 2 prospects on the team that Iowa is pursuing on some level. Mendelson is an elite volleyball prospect as well and wants to play both volleyball and basketball in college. I'm not certain how seriously she is considering Iowa.

Last edited:
This is formatting a little weird for me so here's the link to the game:

2024 G Olivia Olson and 2023 P Maggie Mendelson (#13, pictured above) are the 2 prospects on the team that Iowa is pursuing on some level. Mendelson is an elite volleyball prospect as well and wants to play both volleyball and basketball in college. I'm not certain how seriously she is considering Iowa.

Are the Hawkeye coaches planning to attend the FIBA U16 in person? Sounds like Minnesota, Michigan and Nebraska all have coaches who will attend some games in person.

Are the Hawkeye coaches planning to attend the FIBA U16 in person? Sounds like Minnesota, Michigan and Nebraska all have coaches who will attend some games in person.
It looks like Bluder is headed down as well. Can anyone here explain how coaches are allowed to go to these games considering it’s technically a quiet period? Is international play just considered an exception?

Here’s how they’re defined:
“A quiet period is that period of time when it is permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts only on the member in- stitution’s campus. No in-person, off-campus recruiting contacts or evaluations may be made during the quiet period.”

Last edited:
Reactions: undersized_post
Here are the names in that left picture:
Top- Hannah Stuelke (2022 F/P commit), Sahara Williams (2023 F w/ offer - probably will be a top 100 player), Taylor McCabe (2022 G Commit), Addison O'Grady (Freshman)
Middle - Ava Zediker (2025 G from Dowling - no known offer yet), Callie Levin (2024 G commit), Katy Eidle (2023 G w/ offer - probably will be a top 100 player), Jada Gyamfi (2022 F/P commit), AJ Ediger (Freshman)
Bottom - Maddyn Greenway (2026 G - no known offer yet)

Last edited:
Assuming Monica C. returns next year as speculated, we should have 2 scholarships for the 2023 cycle.

Assuming Monica C. returns next year as speculated, we should have 2 scholarships for the 2023 cycle.
Monica wouldn't impact the 2023 class one way or another would she? Even if she comes back next year, she'll be gone by the time they are on campus.

The bigger question for the 2023 class (imo) is whether any of Warnock, Marshall, or Martin stay an extra year. It seems possible that they all could, and if they did, the 2023-2024 roster would be at 13 (assuming no transfers) before factoring in any players from the 2023 class.

Monica wouldn't impact the 2023 class one way or another would she? Even if she comes back next year, she'll be gone by the time they are on campus.

The bigger question for the 2023 class (imo) is whether any of Warnock, Marshall, or Martin stay an extra year. It seems possible that they all could, and if they did, the 2023-2024 roster would be at 13 (assuming no transfers) before factoring in any players from the 2023 class.
Those players staying for the extra year due to Covid-19 do not count against the scholarship limits.

After this year all players would count for scholarships
Has there been a ruling on that? I see the NCAA ruled on 2021-2022 but couldn't find anything about subsequent years from the NCAA. Some sites assume that the scholarship levels return but others state that there hasn't been a ruling yet.

In any case, I was surprised to learn this as I thought the NCAA would be consistent across the classes. Thanks for pointing it out.

Reactions: BraydonRoberts5
Has there been a ruling on that? I see the NCAA ruled on 2021-2022 but couldn't find anything about subsequent years from the NCAA. Some sites assume that the scholarship levels return but others state that there hasn't been a ruling yet.

In any case, I was surprised to learn this as I thought the NCAA would be consistent across the classes. Thanks for pointing it out.
I tried to lookup the answer on this yesterday and couldn't find anything concrete. That's why I only said the roster for 2023-2024 would be at 13 if Warnock, Martin, and Marshall stay.

One of the downsides to the extra year for players is that it will make roster management down the road tricky. The scholarship part of that is one issue. Another is that Iowa could conceivably have 7 seniors or super-seniors in 2023-2024 (Warnock, Martin, Marshall, Clark, Feuerbach, Wetering, and Goodman).

Do the coaches use an extremely big roster in 2023-2024 to help manage those losses? Do they try to load up in the 2024 class instead? Do they wait and use the transfer portal to reload? Or maybe some combination of all of those.

And what about this year and next year's incoming freshman? Most are highly rated, yet we might return the vast majority of our roster next year and the year after too. We will have a lot of good players who won't see the court. Will they stay and wait their turn or transfer out?

Exactly. How can a school recruit for 2022-2023 if they don't know who may stay an extra year? It forces the coach to pressure student-athletes to decide 2-3 years before that whether they will stay or not, and they can change their minds and leave the school high and dry. What.a.mess!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT