ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting for the future

Bluder and company do a great job of developing talent but with last year's success with Megan winning POY and Iowa going to the Elite Eight, there's this small window for a significant recruiting uptick in terms of talent that I hope the staff doesn't miss out. Iowa is competitive every year and typically good enough to make the Tourney. Getting a Caitlin Clark or someone similar can help make Sweet 16s more attainable and thus attract more top-100 recruits to the program which doesn't happen much.

No real point to this post other than to say there's a damn good opportunity to build for success for the next 5-10 years of the Bluder era beyond the success she has already established.

Do I remember correctly that Caitlin Clark has an official visit this weekend to Notre Dame, or did that already happen? Her recruitment has been very quiet since cutting her schools to 3. Is that a good or bad sign for the Hawks?

Do I remember correctly that Caitlin Clark has an official visit this weekend to Notre Dame, or did that already happen? Her recruitment has been very quiet since cutting her schools to 3. Is that a good or bad sign for the Hawks?

October 11-13 she'll be in South Bend. Interesting to see that Notre Dame is still going after other top point guards including getting involved recently with one time Iowa target Leilani Kapinus. Not sure if any of her 3 finalists have a good read on Caitlin at this point.

Reactions: AMAYS

No idea how reliable this source is, but people on the forum jockos posted about and a Notre Dame forum also seem pessimistic in Notre Dame landing Clark. Someone's also claiming she might not take her official visit to Notre Dame.

It's all nothing but rumor at this point, but could be reason for optimism. Especially considering our coaches went all the way to Thailand to watch her play in late July.

Deja Kelly (#17 ESPN) is visiting Notre Dame this weekend. She is a 5'8 combo guard but is being recruited as a point guard by the Irish. Mentioned earlier the Irish visited one time top 10 (#30 after an injury) Leilani Kapinus in-home & are trying to setup an official visit, they just started to recruit her...

No idea how reliable this source is, but people on the forum jockos posted about and a Notre Dame forum also seem pessimistic in Notre Dame landing Clark. Someone's also claiming she might not take her official visit to Notre Dame.

It's all nothing but rumor at this point, but could be reason for optimism. Especially considering our coaches went all the way to Thailand to watch her play in late July.
Rumors are rumors, heard Clark's parents like ND more than Caitlin. She'll play right away and have a team built around her at Iowa, plus she's an Iowan! The fans will receive and support her well. Get us to a final 4 and she'll never buy a soda pop again.

Reactions: skydog0784
Wetering looks to be out the rest of summer with some type of injury, not thought to be serious. Hurts All Iowa Attack's chance to repeat as National Champions..........oh, and yeah, Clark gone too, playing for Team USA.
All Iowa finished 2nd. Wetering was the missing piece as they had trouble rebounding.

Rumors are rumors, heard Clark's parents like ND more than Caitlin. She'll play right away and have a team built around her at Iowa, plus she's an Iowan! The fans will receive and support her well. Get us to a final 4 and she'll never buy a soda pop again.

I hope Caitlin does what Caitlin wants; not what her parents & us Iowa fans want. Regardless how it plays out.

Reactions: JAMAM and BGHAWK
Does anyone remember when I said she was coming to Iowa months ago. Notre Dame has withdrawn the offer, as Oregon did.

Clark's Top 3 was announced on August 5, and she didn't have an official visit to Notre Dame scheduled then. On August 18, a paid site covering Notre Dame announced Clark was taking her official visit there on 10/12.

When do you allege Notre Dame withdrew its offer? It certainly wasn't months ago. In fact, the information publicly available supports the proposition that she hadn't decided on her college as of early August and took steps thereafter to arrange an official visit at Notre Dame.

Somebody tell Bluder that AJ Guyton's daughter is pretty good. 8th grader.

ESPN is right. I hear it’s been decided to attend Norte Dame. She must be walking on though, since they pulled her offer........

I have a hard time believing Clark will walk on. They’ll find a ride somewhere or I think she comes to IA. Unfortunately, I do sense that ND is her first choice.

It sounds like Caitlin Clark too her official visit to Notre Dame this weekend. We can put to rest the notion that she has decided already or that Notre Dame pulled her offer.

I have a hard time believing Clark will walk on. They’ll find a ride somewhere or I think she comes to IA. Unfortunately, I do sense that ND is her first choice.
Dude, I was kidding about the walking on part. That was in response to a particular poster who says Notre Dame pulled her offer.

I very much hope Clark chooses to be a Hawkeye. For the Irish, women like her come and go. For Iowa, a home state player like her has the makings to become a "legend". Still, it is her choice... nevertheless, I can not help but think back to the C. Vivian Stringer days when getting a player like Clark was not somewhat of a rarity. As I recall, one year she pulled in 4 "top 40" players in a single class! Hopefully, Clark can envision being the foundation for a national championship winner wearing the black and gold!!! (I honestly do not think that is a stretch, if, she signs on. )

I very much hope Clark chooses to be a Hawkeye. For the Irish, women like her come and go. For Iowa, a home state player like her has the makings to become a "legend". Still, it is her choice... nevertheless, I can not help but think back to the C. Vivian Stringer days when getting a player like Clark was not somewhat of a rarity. As I recall, one year she pulled in 4 "top 40" players in a single class! Hopefully, Clark can envision being the foundation for a national championship winner wearing the black and gold!!! (I honestly do not think that is a stretch, if, she signs on. )
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1994-11-16-9411160500-story,amp.html

I'll preface this by saying that it's absolutely possible the board's information is correct and that Clark will commit to Notre Dame.

That said, most of this discussion seems to be based on a single comment from the coach saying they have 4 commitments, meaning that there is one that just hasn't been announced yet. While that could be true, it's also possible that the coach misspoke.

I'm sure it's happened before, and all people are different, but I don't see much of a reason for Clark to silently commit. She just took her official visit. That seems like a perfect opportunity to announce a commitment if she had decided. She also hasn't set an official announcement time, so there seems to be no reason to save a commitment for that, either.

I also haven't seen anyone who has good insider information on Clark's recruitment. A week or two ago, the Notre Dame board and insiders were pessimistic on their changes of landing her. Non posters was here proclaiming that she had already chosen Iowa. Now the feeling is she's already committed to Notre Dame.

An equally plausible answer is that she really just hasn't decided yet, and no insider information or feeling has been right. Time will tell.

Reactions: hagarwood

Disclaimer: Coach Jensen's tweets are usually optimistic about recruits regardless of whether they're Top 100 prospects or not. Still, it's probably worth monitoring whether Clark is on campus this weekend. I don't believe she's taken an official visit to Iowa or Iowa State yet. It would be a clear sign that she's not committed to Notre Dame yet if she is.

My previous post about Caitlin likely committing to Notre Dame or already had came following a chat with a poster on another forum. His info came straight from a premium Notre Dame forum from a well connected Irish fan who claims they are no longer recruiting other '20 PG prospects. Like everyone else here I hope his information is wrong & Caitlin is visiting Iowa this weekend & ends up being a Hawkeye.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT