ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting for the future

Ryan Williamson@rwilliamson29

We have a newcomer in the @mngirlsbballhub Top Performer nominee list in Lauren Jensen from @NorthGirlsHoops:http://bit.ly/37H9F5i

MN Girls' Basketball Hub fans: Vote now for the top performer from Feb. 10-15
We select the athletes with some of last week's most impressive performances. You decide which player had the best outing.

Lauren Jensen, Lakeville North. Jensen's stellar senior season continued this past week. It started with the guard adding 35 points in a 99-82 win over Burnsville on Feb. 11. Then, Jensen scored 27 points as the Panthers bested Eagan 81-58 on Feb. 14.

Sophie Hart, Farmington. Hart put together a big game on Feb. 11 for the Tigers as they took on South Suburban Conference foe Prior Lake. The junior center added 30 points as Farmington cruised to an 81-53 victory.

Last edited:
Reactions: crstuff
Even more impressive than the 34 points and 16 rebounds was A.J. making 11 of 11 free throws. This class of High School juniors has a chance to be Lisa Bluder and her staff best recruiting class yet.
All three are equally impressive to me, but what I find interesting is that she scored 23 points from the field, indicating that she had to have made at least one 3-pointer!

With Paula leaving after this season that leaves an open scholarship spot. Any chance we could possibly get both Kampschroeder and Hart now?

With Paula leaving after this season that leaves an open scholarship spot. Any chance we could possibly get both Kampschroeder and Hart now?

It has always been possible with 15 scholarships being the max, although Lisa has traditionally only used 12-14. I had always assumed they'd sign at least 3 players out of the 2021 class, it is loaded with talent in this region. If the right player becomes available (overseas possible) they could still opt to sign one more in the 2020 class this spring, but it is unlikely.

Last edited:
Neighbors at today's Penn State victory said Ramos is graduating. Looking at her academic career, it looks like she could be bound for graduate school (that's a guess). Whether it is Iowa or elsewhere, she has a year of basketball left if she chooses.

Any guesses?
My guess is 2021. You could say I have a hunch, but don’t really know anything. It may not even relate to the Hawkeyes for all that I know. Sydney Affolter has already said that she will play for AIA this summer. BIG in all caps, interesting.

Last edited:
Sounds like Jan Jensen went to watch 5’11” freshman (2023) Emily Fisher from Libertyville, IL last night. I believe Fisher’s mom is a former Iowa State basketball player.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Tuesday night score:
Sioux City East 67, Dowling Catholic 63
No rematch between Iowa City High and Dowling with Iowa recruit Caitlin Clark.

https://siouxcityjournal.com/sports...cle_af46b940-10c3-5c13-bf28-6bed366a332c.html

The East girls' basketball team shocked the state on Tuesday night. The Black Raiders, ranked No. 15 in Class 5A, had to take the long trip to Des Moines and was the clear underdog against No. 3 Dowling Catholic, which scored 104 points in its last game. East won by five points over Des Moines Roosevelt to get to the 5A region final. Plus Dowling Catholic has one of the best players ever in the Caitlin Clark, who scored 40 points on Tuesday.

The Black Raiders went back to a zone defense that they got away from in the second quarter, which included double-teaming Clark. She passed out of the double-team consistently and Dowling's offense struggled in the third quarter.​

Last edited:
Tuesday night score:
Sioux City East 67, Dowling Catholic 63
No rematch between Iowa City High and Dowling with Iowa recruit Caitlin Clark.

https://siouxcityjournal.com/sports...cle_af46b940-10c3-5c13-bf28-6bed366a332c.html

The East girls' basketball team shocked the state on Tuesday night. The Black Raiders, ranked No. 15 in Class 5A, had to take the long trip to Des Moines and was the clear underdog against No. 3 Dowling Catholic, which scored 104 points in its last game. East won by five points over Des Moines Roosevelt to get to the 5A region final. Plus Dowling Catholic has one of the best players ever in the Caitlin Clark, who scored 40 points on Tuesday.

The Black Raiders went back to a zone defense that they got away from in the second quarter, which included double-teaming Clark. She passed out of the double-team consistently and Dowling's offense struggled in the third quarter.​
So does that mean Dowling is out of the state tournament?

Sounds like Jan Jensen went to watch 5’11” freshman (2023) Emily Fisher from Libertyville, IL last night. I believe Fisher’s mom is a former Iowa State basketball player.
Who might the second ‘top young gun’ be?

I think it means she's out to watch a couple players. Beyond that, I have no idea.

There were two games at the location Coach J was at that night... Other than Emily Fisher who tweeted a thank you for watching her game to Jan Jensen there aren't any upper class players whose names have been mentioned here or elsewhere other than a couple '20 Wisconsin commits. From the rosters I found she was likely evaluating a younger player.

The next NCAA recruiting contact period starts tomorrow and goes through April 2nd. This basically means staff can start doing in-home visits with 2021 recruits. I believe Iowa has 13 of a possible 15 scholarships filled for that year (counting the current 2021 commits PF/C AJ Ediger and G/F Sydney Affolter). It's pretty rare for schools to go to the full 15 so there's a chance that Iowa won't end up filling both spots. There's also always the chance of a transfer or 2 before then so there could ultimately be more scholarships available. That said, my sense is that Iowa is likely focusing on these prospects for those 2 spots.

G- Adalia McKenzie - From the Minneapolis area. She just scored her 2000th career point as a junior. For comparison, Caitlin Clark just hit 2500 as a senior.
G - Maty Wilke - From Beaver Dam, WI. I haven't seen much of her but she has a lot of interest from Big Ten programs.
F - Greta Kampschroeder - She is the highest rated prospect of this group and is from Naperville, IL. She recently named Iowa as a finalist with Oregon State and Stanford. She's ranked #12 overall in ESPN's Top 60.
C - Sophie Hart - A 6'4" post from the Minneapolis area that's ranked #43 overall in ESPN's Top 60.

Kampschroeder is the only one that has publicly announced finalists so far. There's definitely been some other names floating around in this class so feel free to mention them as well.

Last edited:
The next NCAA recruiting contact period starts tomorrow and goes through April 2nd. This basically means staff can start doing in-home visits with 2021 recruits. I believe Iowa has 13 of a possible 15 scholarships filled for that year (counting the current 2021 commits PF/C AJ Ediger and G/F Sydney Affolter). It's pretty rare for schools to go to the full 15 so there's a chance that Iowa won't end up filling both spots. There's also always the chance of a transfer or 2 before then so there could ultimately be more scholarships available. That said, my sense is that Iowa is likely focusing on these prospects for those 2 spots.

G- Adalia McKenzie - From the Minneapolis area. She just scored her 2000th career point as a junior. For comparison, Caitlin Clark just hit 2500 as a senior.
G - Maty Wilke - From Beaver Dam, WI. I haven't seen much of her but she has a lot of interest Big Ten programs.
F - Greta Kampschroeder - She is the highest rated prospect of this group and is from Naperville, IL. She recently named Iowa as a finalist with Oregon State and Stanford. She's ranked #12 overall in ESPN's Top 60.
C - Sophie Hart - A 6'4" post from the Minneapolis area that's ranked #43 overall in ESPN's Top 60.

Kampschroeder is the only one that has publicly announced finalists so far. There's definitely been some other names floating around in this class so feel free to mention them as well.

That is a good list HawkShawn. The other one to watch is...
F - Grace Hall: 6'1 from the Chicago area (Homewood-Flossmoor HS) is considered a top 50 player & was rising toward being a top 20 player prior to tearing her ACL earlier in February.

Hopefully they can round out the class from this list of players w/o going further down their list.

Last edited:
Isn't there 4 or 5 good in-state recruits for 2022? With Hannah Stuelke already on board. I would think Lisa will need to keep a couple more scholarships for 22. If Paula doesn't come back next year then they could have 3 more scholarships available for 2021, but that would mean they only would have 1 more for 22. Provided no one transfers.

Isn't there 4 or 5 good in-state recruits for 2022? With Hannah Stuelke already on board. I would think Lisa will need to keep a couple more scholarships for 22. If Paula doesn't come back next year then they could have 3 more scholarships available for 2021, but that would mean they only would have 1 more for 22. Provided no one transfers.

Paula would've been a senior next year. So Iowa technically has another available scholarship for next season (2 total). Assuming they don't add another player to the 2020 class (which could happen potentially), they have 2 more scholarships they could fill in 2021 and 2 more on top of that in 2022 (with Stuelke not counting as one of those two 2022 scholarships).

Last edited:
F - Grave Hall: 6'1 from the Chicago area (Homewood-Flossmoor HS) is considered a top 50 player & was rising toward being a top 20 player prior to tearing her ACL earlier in February.

Hopefully they can round out the class from this list of players w/o going further down their list.
I think you mean Grace Hall.

Paula would've been a senior next year and that would've been the 2020 class, which Iowa just signed. So Iowa technically has 2 available scholarships for next season. Assuming they don't add another player to the 2020 class (which could happen potentially), they have 2 more scholarships they could fill in 2021 and 2 more on top of that in 2022 (with Stuelke not counting as one of those two 2022 scholarships).
The 2020 class is to replace this year's seniors, not next year. But yes if she graduates this year, that will leave one more spot for the 2020 class. It's probably too late now.

G - Maty Wilke - From Beaver Dam, WI. I haven't seen much of her but she has a lot of interest from Big Ten programs.

F - Grave Hall: 6'1 from the Chicago area (Homewood-Flossmoor HS) is considered a top 50 player & was rising toward being a top 20 player prior to tearing her ACL earlier in February.

McKenzie (seems like Minnesota lean), Kampschroeder and Hall would be upgrades from normal Iowa-level athleticism. Would really be nice to get one of this trio. Don't know about Wilke.

ADVERTISEMENT