ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting for the future

2021 Iowa target (Top 75 on PN) from Michigan 6'3 W Bree Salenbien tore her ACL last week. Obviously she will miss the rest of her teams season, final AAU season, & potentially all of her SR season too depending on her recovery time.

Only one of three 2020 instate recruits is in the state tournament. Is that correct?

Yes, Shatea Wetering for #4 seed Montezuma in class 1A. The least heralded of the four recruits but a very good athlete with potential but probably not right away. Clark's and Goodman's teams did not make it to state.

Maty Wilke looks to have a Helluva offer List. NCAA division one offers from North Dakota, Marquette, Wisconsin, Green Bay, Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Illinois, Michigan State, Iowa State, Colorado State, Kansas State, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, St. Louis and Utah.
Bump

Reactions: hawkahawk
Can't wait to see the kids she attracts to come to Iowa the next few years. Should be fun times.

Reactions: hawkshawn
I learned three things from the game video:

1. Montezuma Brevettes!
2. Shateah Wetering has a little sister;
3. Wetering does not hesitate to shoot the threes.

Reactions: crstuff
I learned three things from the game video:

1. Montezuma Brevettes!
2. Shateah Wetering has a little sister;
3. Wetering does not hesitate to shoot the threes.

Shateah really improved her 3 point shot & overall game this year. With her teams new offense she didn't play in the post nearly as much as the last couple of years.

Hoping for a recruit to commit from Minnesota. :) A must get down the Road. Keep them Centers coming.

Shateah really improved her 3 point shot & overall game this year. With her teams new offense she didn't play in the post nearly as much as the last couple of years.
She looks like a player that might not contribute for a few years. But she was really the only threat on her hs team.

A D-1 recruit playing 1A basketball should DOMINATE. And I wouldn't say the other team double teamed her.

Last edited:
Reactions: jockos
The first thing I thought of after watching the game video was Shateah was the women's version of Cordell Pemsl. Has some quicks and is good around the basket. Shows speed running up and down the court.

I've watched more of the Iowa girl's tourney this year because I'm familiar with 3-4 teams... knowing some of the parents/grandparents.

The talent level seems really poor, for the most part. Offensively... most are horrendous. To me... the Union really watered down the State tourney when they decided to go to 5 classes. There simply aren't 40 teams deserving. Three classes would be adequate.

I know why they went to 5 classes, but the level of basketball has suffered.

I hope the DM chamber of commerce is happy because the play on the floor is downright ugly.

The first thing I thought of after watching the game video was Shateah was the women's version of Cordell Pemsl. Has some quicks and is good around the basket. Shows speed running up and down the court.
I'm not sure she was even the best player on the floor in that game. The pg from the other team was better, imo. She really forced shots driving into double teams and lost the ball numerous times.

Like I said... maybe she just had a bad game. It happens.

The good news for Iowa is that it almost certainly won't need Wetering to be a scorer. Clark, Warnock, and others will have that covered. If she can translate her athleticism into good defense, rebounding, and transition play, that's more than enough to earn minutes. Any offense she can develop would be a bonus.

Defense will definitely be Shateah's path to playing time, agreed. For those that recall former Hawk Bre Cera, Shateah will remind them of her. However Shateah has a higher ceiling & has good shooting form in place already. In high school, the opposing defense is designed to stop her & clog up driving lanes with a packed in zone but in college it will open up for her to show what she can really do.

Has to be Sophie Hart, right?

Hart would be a good get, but she doesn’t improve the athleticism of the team, which is the glaring shortcoming of the Bluder roster. Adalia McKenzie, on the other hand, is the Minnesota recruit that would really help on the athleticism front. For the 2021 class to be the big upgrade that people hope for, it needs to include at least one of Hall, McKenzie, or Kampschroeder.

Hart would be a good get, but she doesn’t improve the athleticism of the team, which is the glaring shortcoming of the Bluder roster. Adalia McKenzie, on the other hand, is the Minnesota recruit that would really help on the athleticism front. For the 2021 class to be the big upgrade that people hope for, it needs to include at least one of Hall, McKenzie, or Kampschroeder.

I've only watched Hart once, but she seemed decently athletic for a post. Certainly more athletic than Monika.

I agree. She would be a good addition. I’m just also hoping for some more non-post athleticism.

Given the quality of players still interested, I hope Iowa takes 2 more recruits in the 2021 class. That'd leave room for Hart and any of the players you mentioned.

Reactions: HIWILLE
I've only watched Hart once, but she seemed decently athletic for a post. Certainly more athletic than Monika.
I've only watched Hart once also, and I came away thinking she is a ( big stiff ). That being said I would take here in a heart beat. She would take up space down low and make opposing players altar their shots and keep them from getting offensive rebounds. And we know how Jan can work wonders on post players. Last year when Iowa played Baylor I thought Cox was their best player. Than I watched them one game this year and thought she must have put on weight cause she just looked like a big stiff to me.

Another Freshmen ('23) to watch is Jenna Hopp (guard/wing) from Glenwood, Iowa. She plays for the Nebraska Attack AAU team & all of the Iowa schools along with Nebraska have watched her play. I don't think she's been offered yet but think its only a matter of time.

ADVERTISEMENT