ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting for the future

Iowa has one scholarship remaining to give if they so choose. I would guess they would like to still have a guard in the class.

2021 prospects

P Sophia Hart
F Breanne Salenbien
F Alyssa VanTimmeren
F Grace Hall
G Katie Burton
G Matyson Wilke
G Damiya Hageman
G Adalia McKenzie
G Ariana Wiggins
G Laila Phelia ?

2021 committed
P Addison O’Grady
F Allison (AJ) Ediger
W Sydney Affolter

Disclaimer: The list for 2021 prospects is not necessarily 100 percent correct/accurate or up to date.

Thanks for posting this cyberhawk.

I found this list on the Women's Basketball Blog of Iowa's 2021 Targets.

https://wbbblog.com/iowa-womens-basketball-recruiting/2/

Does this mean Iowa will back off recruiting Sophie Hart from MN? Hart, I believe, is a post as well.
That’s a good question. It did seem that Sophie was very seriously considering Iowa. I would think that they would want another guard, but of course, I don’t know.

Get them both. The team currently has two 6'3" players. One is going to be a senior and the other a Junior.
No Senior. Paula graduated. Monica will be a Junior as will Logan (six-one or two). Sharon Goodman will be an incoming freshman. Addison O’Grady (6’3”) and Allison (AJ) Ediger (6’2”) are in the ‘21 class. For reference, Iowa had Megan G, Hannah S, and Tagyn Larsen all in the same class (along with Tania D). Hannah was a late add and Larsen transferred out after her first season. They also have Hannah Stuelke committed in ‘22 with just three seniors in ‘22 to replace. They would have either two or three more (depending on what happens with their last scholarship for ‘21) to give for ‘22 (assuming there are no other unexpected loses). Iowa has a number of very good potential centers/post that they are recruiting for the class of ’22.

It’s interesting to note that Addison O’Grady was a relatively recent offer.

Last edited:
I also have McKenna Monogue and Jada Gyamfi, both wings, on my list of offers. I also have KK Bransford G from MND on my radar as well as Addison O’Gradys HS teammate, number one nationally ranked Lauren Betts. Those last two are both on my ‘wish’ list.

Last edited:
Reactions: HIWILLE
Here's a list of schools with multiple ESPN Class of 2021 Top 60 Recruits:
UConn
Iowa

That's the list.

The other noteworthy thing about the Addison O'Grady commitment is how far out of Iowa's normal recruiting territory she is. The only other one from Colorado in Coach Bluder's twenty years was Kristi Smith in 2005. Maybe Iowa is ready to take a big step up into national recruiting.

Reactions: cyberhawk
The other noteworthy thing about the Addison O'Grady commitment is how far out of Iowa's normal recruiting territory she is. The only other one from Colorado in Coach Bluder's twenty years was Kristi Smith in 2005. Maybe Iowa is ready to take a big step up into national recruiting.
Also, maybe the coaches believe (or know) that Hart is choosing elsewhere?

cyberhawk, here is the 2022 targets per the WBB Blog. Are there any others you know of?

https://wbbblog.com/iowa-womens-basketball-recruiting/3/

You can add the following who have known offers:
Ava Hawthorne - Gilbert, IA
Abbey Kimball - Grand Rapids, MI (Committed to Mich. St 4/17)
Alyssa Crockett - Westfield, IN
Mara Braun - Wayzata, MN
Callin Hake - Victoria, MN

Others on the coaching staffs radar at least & possible offers:
Brianna McDaniel - Chicago, IL
Brooke Blumenfeld - Glenbrooke, IL
Ayanna Patterson - Ft. Wayne, IN
Mila Reynolds - South Bend, IN
Madisen Wardell - Detroit, MI
Ysabella Fontleroy - Columbia, MO
Taylor Veach - Dewitt, IA
Emma Ingersoll-Weng - Iowa City, IA
Bella Swedlund - Winner, SD
Beatrice Culliton - Overland Park, KS

At this point KK Bransford out of MND & Lauren Betts from Colorado aren't what I would call realistic targets for Iowa based on what I've heard. Perhaps with Addison committing Lauren may give Iowa a look. I'll post 2023 prospects shortly.

Last edited:
You can add the following who have known offers:
Ava Hawthorne - Gilbert, IA
Abbey Kimball - Grand Rapids, MI
Alyssa Crockett - Westfield, IN
Mara Braun - Wayzata, MN
Callin Hake - Victoria, MN
Brianna McDaniel - Chicago, IL

Others on the coaching staffs radar at least:
Brooke Blumenfeld - Glenbrooke, IL
Ayanna Patterson - Ft. Wayne, IN
Mila Reynolds - South Bend, IN
Madisen Wardell - Detroit, MI
Ysabella Fontleroy - Columbia, MO
Taylor Veach - Dewitt, IA
Emma Ingersoll-Weng - Iowa City, IA
Bella Swedlund - Winner, SD
Beatrice Culliton - Overland Park, KS

At this point KK Bransford out of MND & Lauren Betts from Colorado aren't what I would call realistic targets for Iowa based on what I've heard. Perhaps with Addison committing Lauren may give Iowa a look. I'll post 2023 prospects shortly.
Have you any information on Laila Phelia, 2021 G from MND, who I have ‘on radar’? Iowa has a very good connection with MND. She is ranked in the top 50 or so in the country.

I had Abbey Kimball in 2023 by mistake.

Last edited:
2023 Iowa targets:

Jordan Wood (F) - Mundelein, IL (offered)
KK Arnold (G) - Germantown, WI (offered)
Emily Fisher (G) - Libertyville, IL (offered)
Jenna Hopp (G) - Glenwood, IA (I think an offer is likely)
Katelyn Jones (PG) - Lantana, TX
Kaliyah Sain (G) - Cedar Rapids Kennedy
Katy Eidle (G) - Arlington Heights, IL
Ke'Ayla Madison (G) - DSM, Roosevelt
Joy Bergstrom (G) - Chicago, IL
Nylah Cannon (F/C) - Okemos, MI
Smya Nichols (G/F) - Overland Park, KS
Aaliyah Beier (G) - Linn Mar HS, IA
Jenna Twedt (G) - Benton, IA (I think would commit if offered)
Jada Williams (PG) - Blue Springs, MO
Kora Kipley (G) - Arlington Heights, IL
Grace Koepke (C) - Vernon Hills, ILL
Megan Mrowicki (G) - Arlington Heights, IL
Nevaeh Quinn (G) - Menasha, WI
Arianna Jackson (G) - DSM, Roosevelt
Audi Crooks (C) - Algona Garrigan
Molly Joyce (PG) - Algona Garrigan
KK Jones (PG) - Lantana, TX

Add to this with any other prospects!

The only 2024's I'm aware of at this point is Elise Jaeger (G) - WDSM Valley & possibly Aliyah Al-Hameed from Ankeny. (added 4/14) Olivia Olson out of Minneapolis Benilde St. Margaret (same HS as Kachine Alexander).

In 2026 Jenica Raine Lewis (PG) from Grimes is already getting a lot of regional interest from P5 schools.

Last edited:
Have you any information on Laila Phelia, 2021 G from MND, who I have ‘on radar’? She is ranked in the top 50 or so in the country.

I don't Cyber, her recruitment is rather silent/close to the vest. I think with all of these commitments recently others might be moving up their dates with the AAU season up in the air at this point. I was also thinking with all of the names in the transfer portal/grad transfers Iowa may look for some front court depth next season if the perfect fit (would have to be for Bluder to do it) showed interest - I thought Courtney Fredrickson would be good (6'2 Wisconsin) since she had Iowa in her final 3 originally (WI - IA - MO) but she chose Depaul for her final season.

Also, maybe the coaches believe (or know) that Hart is choosing elsewhere?

I’ve watched Hart play a few times, and she is a good player. But I like the descriptions of O’Grady even more. Agile and versatile are good things in a 4/5, and those words would not apply to Hart, at least based on the 2 games I saw her.

Last edited:
Do we think Iowa is still trying to add to the Class of 2021? If so, that would bring the roster to 15 for the 2021/2022 season unless someone transfers. Iowa hasn't done that recently because it's hard to keep 15 players happy, especially if the rotation is only 8 deep.

My guess would be that they will narrow the list down to a couple top remaining targets. If one of those targets commits, great. If one doesn't, move on to 2022/2023. I'll also guess those targets will be guards/wings. Iowa's depth at the 4/5 position seems solid with the O'Grady addition.

I don't Cyber, her recruitment is rather silent/close to the vest. I think with all of these commitments recently others might be moving up their dates with the AAU season up in the air at this point. I was also thinking with all of the names in the transfer portal/grad transfers Iowa may look for some front court depth next season if the perfect fit (would have to be for Bluder to do it) showed interest - I thought Courtney Fredrickson would be good (6'2 Wisconsin) since she had Iowa in her final 3 originally (WI - IA - MO) but she chose Depaul for her final season.
Originally from Wisconsin. I believe Wisconsin was her second choice. I think it unlikely that she would transfer to Iowa but is someone the coaches might consider if she wanted to. She may want to have more PT which would probably not be very likely at Iowa.

Last edited:
Do we think Iowa is still trying to add to the Class of 2021? If so, that would bring the roster to 15 for the 2021/2022 season unless someone transfers. Iowa hasn't done that recently because it's hard to keep 15 players happy, especially if the rotation is only 8 deep.

My guess would be that they will narrow the list down to a couple top remaining targets. If one of those targets commits, great. If one doesn't, move on to 2022/2023. I'll also guess those targets will be guards/wings. Iowa's depth at the 4/5 position seems solid with the O'Grady addition.
I absolutely don’t know what Iowa will do with their final ‘21 scholarship but, like you, I guess they would use it only for one of the limited few of the ranked prospects. Perhaps as you mention, a guard/wing.

Last edited:

If the right fit is available I think they would go to the 15 limit as they have done it before but it is rare for Lisa Bluder to do it as she has mentioned. There were several transfers in the BIG announced yesterday so Iowa could still be bit by the transfer bug with all the players off-campus indefinitely, who knows. They could still add a grad transfer if the right one comes available for front court depth in '20-21 too. Out of the prospects below I'd say Wilke or McKenzie are most likely - but it would be hard to say no to Sophie Hart as good posts can be hard to come by. Minnesota is thought to be right there for McKenzie & Hart too with only one scholarship to give at this point in time.

2021 prospects
P Sophia Hart
F Breanne Salenbien
F Alyssa VanTimmeren
F Grace Hall
G Katie Burton
G Matyson Wilke
G Damiya Hageman
G Adalia McKenzie
G Ariana Wiggins
G Laila Phelia ?

The problem with taking Hart in the 2021 class is that playing time for the 4 and 5 positions would be a nightmare in 2021/2022. Monika will presumably play a ton of minutes at the 5, and Warnock a ton of minutes at the 4. That leaves Goodman, O'Grady, and Hart all competing for very few minutes at the 5.

Warnock could be shifted to the wing for some of that time, I suppose. That would open up some minutes at the 4, and Iowa could play two posts again, but Ediger and Cook will also be competing for those minutes.

The good part about these hypothetical discussions is that they mean Iowa is in a very strong position. Having too many good players on your roster is a much better problem than having too few. Notre Dame is a great example this year of what can happen when you have a small roster and injuries take their toll.

Warnock to the 3 would be the same as what Ally Disterhoft did her last 2 seasons. A redshirt could be possible for one of the 4/5's too leaving a 4 player rotation. Cook can play the 3, but I don't really see her earning regular minutes during her career at Iowa. It is fun looking at the options & what if's... Ironically, I was just reading an article on Notre Dame where their coach talks about last season, what happened, & how they are changing their recruiting approach to fill out their roster - you cannot predict injuries or transfers.

https://247sports.com/college/notre...oking-for-Lessons-From-Last-Season-145798622/

2023 Iowa targets:

The only 2024's I'm aware of at this point is Elise Jaeger (G) - WDSM Valley & possibly Aliyah Al-Hameed from Ankeny.

In 2026 Jenica Raine (PG) from Grimes is already getting a lot of regional interest from P5 schools.

Jenica Lewis. Treys sister.

If the right fit is available I think they would go to the 15 limit as they have done it before but it is rare for Lisa Bluder to do it as she has mentioned. There were several transfers in the BIG announced yesterday so Iowa could still be bit by the transfer bug with all the players off-campus indefinitely, who knows. They could still add a grad transfer if the right one comes available for front court depth in '20-21 too. Out of the prospects below I'd say Wilke or McKenzie are most likely - but it would be hard to say no to Sophie Hart as good posts can be hard to come by. Minnesota is thought to be right there for McKenzie & Hart too with only one scholarship to give at this point in time.

That's my sense too. I think it's likely Iowa would take McKenzie. Wilcke seems like the next candidate but I'm less confident that Iowa would take her at this point. Hart seems unlikely to me but as you said, it's hard to find good posts. I've seen O'Grady play twice now and she seems pretty tall (I've seen her listed as 6'4" as well). One of those games was against All-Iowa Attack, and she looked considerably taller than any player on All-Iowa Attack.

I’ve watched Hart play a few times, and she is a good player. But I like the descriptions of O’Grady even more. Agile and versatile are good things in a 4/5, and those words would not apply to Hart, at least based on the 2 games I saw her.
It will be interesting to see how O’Grady is utilized for Grandview with her playing along side Betts. Will they play a 2-post offense or single post with O’Grady stretching the defense and facing up on the perimeter? How will opponents defend her? Also, what defense(s) Grandview will use. I think in the case of Hart, she is strictly a post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawksoxfan
It will be interesting to see how O’Grady is utilized for Grandview with her playing along side Betts. Will they play a 2-post offense or single post with O’Grady stretching the defense and facing up on the perimeter? How will opponents defend her? Also, what defense(s) Grandview will use. I think in the case of Hart, she is strictly a post.

They played/started together this season in a two post set & the year before Lauren Betts came off the bench but they still played a lot together. I read where Addison worked on expanding her range to space the floor, she went 8-31 from 3 this past season. I've seen only one game highlight video of her/team & she moves well for her size (think Bethany Doolittle) but she is more physical already.

No second guessing here, let’s land the McKenzie kid and we’ll be set here even more.

Is there any video on the Phelia girl? How good is she?

2023 Iowa targets:

The only 2024's I'm aware of at this point is Elise Jaeger (G) - WDSM Valley & possibly Aliyah Al-Hameed from Ankeny.

In 2026 Jenica Raine Lewis (PG) from Grimes is already getting a lot of regional interest from P5 schools.

heard through a friend Iowa is showing a lot of interest in another Colorado prep that I think would be in the 2024 class, Hana Belibi. Her older sister made national headlines as the high school girl from Colorado who dunks...believe she is at Stanford now. Sounds like Hana may have already made a game day visit to Iowa and was very impressed. Friends daughter plays for the same club program.

IMHO, If you truly want to compete at a Top 10 level, you need a post that is taller than 6’3. Either that, or 2 on the floor at the same time that are at least 6’3 and one of them better be a bruiser.

Just my 2 cents. Lots of 6’5 to 6’7 posts out there in the Top 10.

IMHO, If you truly want to compete at a Top 10 level, you need a post that is taller than 6’3. Either that, or 2 on the floor at the same time that are at least 6’3 and one of them better be a bruiser.

Just my 2 cents. Lots of 6’5 to 6’7 posts out there in the Top 10.
Many (if not all) of the top 10 teams have at least one if not two such posts. IIRC, either Oregon or Oregon State had ‘a stable’ of tall posts on their roster, but I believe they mostly ‘rode the bench’. Also, and OTOH, there are many more tall posts playing for teams outside the top 10, proving that having a tall center doesn’t necessarily put a team in top 10. Having a dominant center is important for successful teams and height does help, but other factors, such as athleticism (which is often lacking in very tall posts) are important too.

Addison O’Grady is at least 6’3” (maybe 6’4”) and looks to be fairly athletic. Multiple sources indicate she has been playing more away from the basket and took many 3PT attempts last season. If she can improve on her 3PT% for her senior season, that would give her a big advantage over taller, less athletic posts in college. Allison (AJ) Ediger is also relatively athletic for her height but perhaps an inch shorter and also has 3PT range. These two could very well be on the court together in a few years and if they both can draw their defenders out to the 3PT line (five out), they will be able to create more space and spread the defense for everyone else. I think that is a formula for top 10 success.

Last edited:
2023 Iowa targets:

KK Jones (PG) - Lantana, TX

The only 2024's I'm aware of at this point is Elise Jaeger (G) - WDSM Valley & possibly Aliyah Al-Hameed from Ankeny. (added 4/14) Olivia Olson out of Minneapolis Benilde St. Margaret (same HS as Kachine Alexander).

Added Olivia Olson (MN) in the 2024's & KK Jones (Texas) in the 2023's.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasHawkeyes
Added Olivia Olson (Texas) in the 2024's & KK Jones (Texas) in the 2023's.
Iowa’s recruiting in Texas now? I don’t have a problem with that; but other than our recent commit from CO, how often does Bluder and her staff go outside of their known comfort zone?

Last edited:
Iowa’s recruiting in Texas now? I don’t have a problem with that; but other than our recent commit from CO, how often does Bluder and her staff go outside of their known comfort zone?

It does happen from time to time usually when there is a relationship in place already.

'22 Jordana Codio (Florida) - offered. Family was from Midwest & Father was a coach. Committed to Wisconsin
'16 Robbie Ryan (Wyoming) - offered. Committed to Arizona St.
'14 Christina Buttenham (Canada) - Committed to Iowa
'05 Kristi Smith (Colorado) - Committed to Iowa

In '14 they offered a post from Colorado (can't recall her name) along with Chase Coley. Chase committed first. Going way back Leah Magner from Alaska was on one of Lisa's first teams. Crystal Smith from Louisiana, her dad played at Iowa & was on staff with Lisa I believe.

Last edited:
We can take '22 Abbey Kimball off the list, she has committed to Michigan State.

There's been some updates to the ESPN recruiting rankings. The 2021 rankings now rank a top 100 and the 2022 class has 60 ranked players. The 2023 class now has 25 ranked players.

2021 Commits
  • AJ Ediger is #47 (up from #51)
  • Addison O'Grady is #56 (down from #37)
  • Sydney Affolter is unranked.
2021 Targets
  • Sophie Hart is #40 (up from #43)
  • Maty Wilke is #76 (up from unranked)
  • Adalia McKenzie is unranked.
  • Ariana Wiggins (#30), Breanna Salenbien (#32), Laila Phelia (#36), Morasha Wiggins (#50) are other prospects with offers.
2022 Commits
  • Hannah Stuelke is #34
2023 Targets w/ offers
  • Kamorea Arnold is #15
  • Jordan Wood is #16
Wood was offered last summer on a visit and likes Iowa a lot.

2021 List: http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2021
2022 List: http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2022
2023 List: http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2023

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT