ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting for the future

That would be the assumption. Unless Bluder views her as a can’t miss prospect and someone she is willing to change her view on recruiting for the last decade.

Reactions: HIWILLE and jockos
Some interesting info here on how early Iowa has potentially wrapped up the 2022 class compared to previous classes. I still think there’s a chance, albeit a small one, that they would add a high end player in that class if the right one was interested (probably a PG as @jockos has mentioned).

Oh boy going to be fun hearing about her success the next couple of years and cornhusker fans cringing over it.

Yeah they definitely will cringe. But their MO is to ignore her like she doesn't exist.

The fans on the Huskers WBB Message Board was pretty negative towards Doyle her first couples years here (she had been a Husker commit and de-committed when Yori got fired), but by this year they were generally complimentary of Doyle and viewed her de-committing as a failure of the the current coach to keep her. The tone of their message board changed this year and was rather apathetic. Williams seems to be getting on the hot seat with their fans. They may just view this as another knock on Williams.

Last edited:
The fans on the Huskers WBB Message Board was pretty negative towards Doyle her first couples years here (she had been a Husker commit and de-committed when Yori got fired), but by this year they were generally complimentary of Doyle and viewed her de-committing as a failure of the the current coach to keep her. The tone of their message board changed this year and was rather apathetic. Stephens seems to be getting on the hot seat with their fans. They may just view this as another knock on Stephens.
Amy Williams is the head women’s coach at Nebraska.

Reactions: cyberhawk
What’s a busy summer in your eyes with competitive games during a pandemic

I think 4 games a weekend for 12 weeks is busy( just throwing out numbers, don’t know how many weeks they were playing for)
More like 6 games over 3-4 days for 8 tourneys. Now, many of their games were running clock in the 2nd half due to lopsided scores.

Reactions: crstuff and bdg8
If Grace Hall, the last uncommitted ‘21 with an Iowa offer, can show signs of recovering from her ACL injury, perhaps Iowa would have room. Pre-injury, she had the combination of skill and athleticism that is hard to attract to Iowa City.
Based on who is committed at her position the following year, I think they are done for '21.

Grace Hall '21 F out of the Chicago area (Homewood-Flossmoor) commits to LSU.

Grace Hall '21 F out of the Chicago area (Homewood-Flossmoor) commits to LSU.
This should squelch any lingering hopes that the Hawkeyes will add another player to the class of ‘21. However, there are still a number of very highly regarded players in the class of ‘22 that were reported with offers from the Hawks and have still not committed. Although I believe it to be unlikely, it is still technically possible they could still add a ‘22.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkshawn
This should squelch any lingering hopes that the Hawkeyes will add another player to the class of ‘21. However, there are still a number of very highly regarded players in the class of ‘22 that were reported with offers from the Hawks and have still not committed. Although I believe it to be unlikely, it is still technically possible they could still add a ‘22.

They have offers out to some point guards which is probably what they would be looking at for '22, Saniah Tyler and Brianna McDaniel. Other possibilities are Acacia Hayes or possibly Emma Ingersoll-Weng. But as you mention, they could also wait for the '23 class to fill the PG need especially if a top target in '22 commits to another school.

Acacia Hayes, 2022 Point Guard out of Tennessee #45 ESPN. Iowa has been recruiting her for a while now, not sure if an offer has been made or not but it wouldn't surprise me based on position need & other recent offers.

ESPN re-rank of ‘21 class. Ediger slightly up to 39. O’Grady big drop to 92. No Affolter.

ESPN re-rank of ‘21 class. Ediger slightly up to 39. O’Grady big drop to 92. No Affolter.

ESPN has gone to a new recruiting service parting ways with Dan Olson. @PBRhoops Premier Hoops is the new service. Everything has been replaced on the '21 Top 100 but nothing beyond that yet.

Fewer 5* players (about 30 fewer) & more 4* players. There were some big shifts in player ranks & a lot of new players not in the previous services listing too. I've seen several AAU people questioning how Sydney Affolter could not be ranked as she is in most other rankings, the most common answer is All Iowa Attack is more balanced therefore she doesn't stand out as much. Regardless, Iowa has one heck of a '21 class.

Last edited:
Team USA tryout huge success for Affolter heading into junior year
by Tim O’Brien Jun 25, 2019

Sydney Affolter was rightfully disappointed after the 2019 USA U16 Women’s National Team trials in May. The Marist junior-to-be advanced through two cuts but did not make the final round.

I think there were less than 50 that made it through two cuts and that included more than just her class! That should tell you something about her relative ranking among her peers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Torg and crstuff
ESPN has gone to a new recruiting service parting ways with Dan Olson. @PBRhoops Premier Hoops is the new service. Everything has been replaced on the '21 Top 100 but nothing beyond that yet.

Fewer 5* players (about 30 fewer) & more 4* players. There were some big shifts in player ranks & a lot of new players not in the previous services listing too. I've seen several AAU people questioning how Sydney Affolter could not be ranked as she is in most other rankings, the most common answer is All Iowa Attack is more balanced therefore she doesn't stand out as much. Regardless, Iowa has one heck of a '21 class.
I agree. IMO Sydney Affolter could easily be ranked as high as AJ Ediger. I don’t understand why she isn’t with her impressive USA U16 achievement. So I am not in the least concerned with her omission from these ranking services.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/arlington-heights/sports/ct-ahp-girls-basketball-katy-eidle-hersey-tl-0206-20200203-5qpgru35qbboxjas7scbghu35y-story.html
February 2020- Katy Eidle is on a roll. The Hersey freshman guard is having a memorable debut season for the talented Huskies. Hersey (23-6) could set a program record for wins in a season, and Eidle is the rare freshman at the center of it all in coach Mary Fendley’s program. Eidle has endured the fast, physical nature of varsity basketball to become one of the area’s best players — as a freshman. She averaged 25.5 points per game during a four-game stretch near the end of January. Hersey entered the final phase of the regular season on a 12-game winning streak that included victories against Geneva, Stevenson, Rolling Meadows, Lake Forest and St. Charles North. Eidle is averaging a team-high 14.7 points to go 4.6 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game. She has made 42.7 percent of her 3-pointers.

I agree. IMO Sydney Affolter could easily be ranked as high as AJ Ediger. I don’t understand why she isn’t with her impressive USA U16 achievement. So I am not in the least concerned with her omission from these ranking services.

I'm an Affolter fan, and believe she can help the Hawks early in her career. But the context for her experience at USA basketball trials makes her success there perhaps a little less impressive than it sounds. Most of those invited to the U-16 trials in 2019 (over 65%) are in the '22 and '23 classes. Only 52 of the 152 that were invited are in the class of '21. Most of the players (>75%) cut before Affolter are younger players in the '22 and '23 classes. Affolter did make the final 68, but did not make the next cut to 42 players. O'Grady, in contrast, made the cut to 42 players. Of the 12 players from the class of '21 that did not make the cut from 68 to 42, Affolter is 1 of 7 that does not appear in the HoopGurlz top 100. So perhaps she is not a glaring omission. It looks like she will make some top 100s, likely from 75-100, while others will rank her in the top 150 or so.

Reactions: cyberhawk
I'm an Affolter fan, and believe she can help the Hawks early in her career. But the context for her experience at USA basketball trials makes her success there perhaps a little less impressive than it sounds. Most of those invited to the U-16 trials in 2019 (over 65%) are in the '22 and '23 classes. Only 52 of the 152 that were invited are in the class of '21. Most of the players (>75%) cut before Affolter are younger players in the '22 and '23 classes. Affolter did make the final 68, but did not make the next cut to 42 players. O'Grady, in contrast, made the cut to 42 players. Of the 12 players from the class of '21 that did not make the cut from 68 to 42, Affolter is 1 of 7 that does not appear in the HoopGurlz top 100. So perhaps she is not a glaring omission. It looks like she will make some top 100s, likely from 75-100, while others will rank her in the top 150 or so.

Prospects Nation has Affolter the highest ranked Iowa '21 commit at #44 while Ediger is at #47. No O'Grady on their list either (only a top 75). Regardless of these ratings, Iowa has 3 very good recruits coming to campus in this class.

https://prospectsnation.com/players/ranked/2021

I was able to watch AIA a lot this summer and I found the more I watched Affolter the more I liked her game. I doubt she’ll ever be a prolific scorer at Iowa, if only because there’s going to be a lot of scoring options on the floor. But I think she’s going to complement Clark and Jensen really well, because she doesn’t need to score to be effective. She’s unselfish, athletic, shoots it fairly consistently, handles it well enough to play PG if needed, rebounds well, is scrappy, and I think could even play the 4 in a pinch. She should also be one of the team’s best defenders, even though I know the bar isn’t especially high there. So regardless of where she ends up being ranked, I think people are going to be really happy with her.

The context is perhaps a bit nebulous. For greater perspective, while the number of players cut in the first two rounds (84 =152-68) were mostly (>75%, or at least 64) in the two younger classes, that would indicate that perhaps as many as 20 (<25% of 84 or 84 minus at least 64) were from her class. That would place her among the best 32 (52-20) or so of her class (assuming that the original 52 invitees were the best in class). Also, it can be surmised that only [about] 20 (32-12, including Addison O’Grady) of the players in her class survived the third cut. I think that is impressive. Of course this logically suggests that there is a relatively large number of players ranked above her (in the ESPNW 2021 top 100) that were not even invited to the trials.

Regardless, the rank of high school players is undeniably subjective and does not necessarily translate to college. The Hawkeye coaches seem to do a good job recruiting players who can successfully make the transition to college. Regarding Sydney Affolter, in addition to her US U16 team trials participation, she played [well] with three of her future teammates this summer for AIA. I think that bodes well for her Hawkeye career.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT