ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting for the future

There was a huge attendance for Megan G’s number retirement ceremony. That was in late January 2019 against MSU. Average attendance for the WBB home games increased to over 7100 in ‘19/‘20 from less than 5000 just four years before. I calculated that at the time to be more than 50% increase. That corresponds to MG’s last 3 years plus KD’s Sr season. Interest for the Iowa WBB is at an all time high!
It is fun!!! Fast up and downs, few timeouts, coaches are not divas and the girls express lots of emotion snd look like they are having the time of their lives

It is fun!!! Fast up and downs, few timeouts, coaches are not divas and the girls express lots of emotion snd look like they are having the time of their lives

I agree with you except for the few timeouts, but the rule where coaches can call TOs in the last minute of the game to move the ball to front court, can really delay a game. Just my opinion but it ruins the end of games with the delays.

I’m enough old school to like the women playing quarters vs. the men playing half’s.

There was a huge attendance for Megan G’s number retirement ceremony. That was in late January 2019 against MSU. Average attendance for the WBB home games increased to over 7100 in ‘19/‘20 from less than 5000 just four years before. I calculated that at the time to be more than 50% increase. That corresponds to MG’s last 3 years plus KD’s Sr season. Interest for the Iowa WBB is at an all time high!

This was also the game Affolter attended and subsequently committed after as well, which I don’t believe was her initial plan. As we all know, the home court environment can be a big selling point to recruits, especially when most colleges aren’t drawing many fans. Hopefully attendance keeps getting better and better.

This was also the game Affolter attended and subsequently committed after as well, which I don’t believe was her initial plan. As we all know, the home court environment can be a big selling point to recruits, especially when most colleges aren’t drawing many fans. Hopefully attendance keeps getting better and better.
If we do not draw 10000 per game for next three years— shame on us

Angela Dugalic (6'4'' PF, rising Sophomore, former Illinois Miss Basketball) enters the transfer portal out of Oregon. I know we have a lot coming in next year but she'd certainly fit in well on our team for a number of reasons.
I believe she had an offer from Iowa, however I doubt the Hawkeyes will take in any more transfers in. She could very possibly end up in the B1G though. Maybe Wisconsin, Purdue, Northwestern, OSU, one of the Michigan schools, even Illinois or Nebraska.

I believe she had an offer from Iowa, however I doubt the Hawkeyes will take in any more transfers in. She could very possibly end up in the B1G though. Maybe Wisconsin, Purdue, Northwestern, OSU, one of the Michigan schools, even Illinois or Nebraska.
I was thinking along those lines, too. If she wants to play with some of her former Oregon teammates, she could join Jaz Shelley in transferring to Nebraska, who needs some size after losing Kate Cain to graduation. Or she could join Taylor Mikesell in transferring to Ohio State, who needs some size after losing both Aaliyah Patty and Dorka Juhasz to the transfer portal.

Reactions: cyberhawk
The Premier Basketball writer covering the tournament had some tweets couple of pages back. Had a list of the major movers, had Hannah on top of the list. Had a list of the top shooters had Taylor McCabe on top of that list. The highlights r of Stuelke, she appears to be our most athletic interior 4 player since. ? She can shoot the 3 and drive and rebound in high level AAU.

The Premier Basketball writer covering the tournament had some tweets couple of pages back. Had a list of the major movers, had Hannah on top of the list. Had a list of the top shooters had Taylor McCabe on top of that list. The highlights r of Stuelke, she appears to be our most athletic interior 4 player since. ? She can shoot the 3 and drive and rebound in high level AAU.
Good question. Johanna Solverson (pre-ACL)? Wendy Ausdemore?

Something to consider with rankings is that a player's fit within a system can make them significantly more value to a particular team than they might be for other teams.

Gabbie Marshall is a great example. She wasn't a Top 100 recruit, and probably isn't one of the Top 100 players in her class when evaluating the entirety of her game. But she started early in her career at Iowa because she fits what Iowa's offensive system needs: a great three-point shooting wing that is a huge threat when open, but doesn't need the ball in her hands most possessions.

Sometimes it's better to get a lower ranked recruit that is a system fit than a higher ranked recruit who doesn't fit well. The good news for the program's future is that in the last few years, Coach Bluder has found a lot of players that fit the system and also happen to be Top 100 recruits.

I don't remember Ausdemore driving much. Solverson yes. After all she's a McDonald's All American.
I was just responding for most athletic interior 4. I would even throw Kelly Krei in there for HM as an underrated 4 athletically. And I still remember Coach Bluder moving Ausdemore from 3 to 4 midseason and a light going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: crstuff
It's crazy but with no one transferring out, Lisa's focus maybe more on the 2024 recruits and it's May 2021. The women are in a good shape, I love it
I'm hoping we get a player like Kamorea Arnold or Amiyah Reynolds for 2023 to continue our good Recruiting streak we've got going on lately

Angela Dugalic (6'4'' PF, rising Sophomore, former Illinois Miss Basketball) enters the transfer portal out of Oregon. I know we have a lot coming in next year but she'd certainly fit in well on our team for a number of reasons.
Update: Dugalic transferring to UCLA. Even if they aren't hawks, I enjoy keeping tabs on high profile players from the area.

Reactions: cyberhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT