ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Transfer Portal

I wonder if any of other Maryland players transfer like how Ashley and Angel are
They've lost 4 today already. There is a Terp fan posting on a national board that Diamond Miller & Mimi Collins are expected too follow, but I've seen nothing on it so far.

They've lost 4 today already. There is a Terp fan posting on a national board that Diamond Miller & Mimi Collins are expected too follow, but I've seen nothing on it so far.
Is there any precedent for a major program having a rebuild this big? I know several schools (Oregon and Minnesota) have had a number of transfers, but Maryland was being projected as a Top 10 team and now all of its best players might be leaving.

Is there any precedent for a major program having a rebuild this big? I know several schools (Oregon and Minnesota) have had a number of transfers, but Maryland was being projected as a Top 10 team and now all of its best players might be leaving.
Not a 'major program' that I can recall Braydon. Oregon St. has started having some issues too with Taylor Jones now in the portal too.

Not a 'major program' that I can recall Braydon. Oregon St. has started having some issues too with Taylor Jones now in the portal too.
Frankly I'm still shocked by this news. My first thought was that Frese will probably be able to land some good transfers, but she's losing All-Americans. Even good portal replacements probably won't be able to replace their impact.

And then there's the elephant in the room of why all these quality players are leaving a projected Top 10 team. Maybe good players will hesitate to join Maryland with all the good players who have left recently?

I think Syracuse lost most of their players last year including key players that moved to South Carolina and Louisville among others.

From a league-wide perspective, not a great day. If Owusu, Reese, Miller and Collins all leave Maryland and the Big Ten, Caitlin Clark would, I believe, be the sole remaining McDonalds All American on a Big Ten roster. Sydney Parrish would be a second if she transfers to IU, as many expect. Now from a win the Big Ten perspective, perhaps a good day for Iowa, but not a good day for Iowa’s need for experience playing high-end athletic teams.

After a mediocre 10+ years, the Big Ten has really improved over the last 3-4 years, but, with perhaps the exception of Maryland, it needs more high-end athletic talent to keep rising and reach the Final Four. Even with improvement to date, the Big Ten was 5th in both league NET and league RPI this year. Since Reese and Clark joined the league in 2020 as consensus national top 7 recruits, the league has not landed a single McDonalds All American.

By way of comparison, this year’s Final Four rosters had a total of 28 McDonald’s All Americans, with each team having at least 6. The year before each team had at least 5, except for Arizona with just 1. While Arizona might be cause for hope, the percentages show that high-end inputs really matter.

Chemistry is so important. Over recruit starters, portal players, connecting and trust between coach and players. We notice success but not the failures which are more common. We may never be South Carolina, but I am very happy with Lisa as our coach and enjoy watching our team. Fun to watch, win, graduate without the drama

Not a transfer, but top 50 guard from Illinois Brianna McDaniel has been released by Texas A&M due to the coaching change. She gave new coach Jonie Taylor a chance but she decided to move on. Iowa offered her but there wasn't much mutual interest.

Above is a link to the transfer portal on the WBB blog. Big Ten teams below (pardon any names misspelled).
Illinois
Out:
Solape Amusan
De'Myla Brown
Aaliyah Nye
Jada Peebles
Erika Porter
Indiana
Out:
Kayarah Berry
In: Alyssa Geary; Providence
Iowa
Out:
Tomi and Logan
Maryland
In:
Lavendar Briggs, Florida
Out:
Angel Reese
Taisiya Kozora
Ashley Owusu
Michigan - None
Michigan State
In:
Gabby Elliott, Clemson
Out:
Alyza Winston, Miss State
Minnesota
Out:
Erin Hedman
Jasmine Powell, Tennessee
Sara Scalia
Klarke Sconiers
Kadi Sissoko
Alexia Smith
Caroline Strande
Nebraska
Out:
Bella Cravens
MiCole Cayton
Northwestern: None
Ohio State:
In:
Emma Shumante, West Virginia
Out:
Kateri Poole
Anyssa Jones
Penn State:
Out:
Shay Hagens
Tova Sabel
Nyan Thirnton
Purdue:
Out:
Nyaggoa Gory
Ra Shaya Kyle
Roxanne Makola
Brooke Moore
Mide Oriyomi
Lyndsey Whilby
Rutgers
Out:
Joiya Maddox
Liz Martino
Wisconsin
In:
Avery LaBarbera, Holy Cross
Out:
Tara Stauffacher, Northern Illinois

Last edited:
If I recall Maddie Krull was a top 75 player in the 2020 class. Creighton is probably going hard after her again.

I believe the South Dakota coach is leaving to take the West Virginia job. Possibly they will follow her there?

I don’t pay much attention to schools other than Iowa but it seems like Maryland has had star players transfer in recent years and they were replaced by other transfers. Will see what happens next year

Reactions: crstuff
So what would Iowa's pressing needs be?

Imo, they're gonna need a reliable 2/3 guard to help Caitlin in scoring, but it's not like we can't get that from one of our current players.

Perhaps if we get a solid guard known more for her defense and ball handling/passing.

Then despite the post group being perhaps "crowded", we should never turn away a potential lock down center, because we definitely need better defense inside and Czinano is just too slow to be anything more than a wait for things to come to her kind of rim protector, and if you get her away from the basket like Creighton did, then you really expose her.

If Iowa got Angel Reese that would instantly improve our defense alone.

Unfortunately, I think the chances of Reese picking Iowa over the elite programs that actually recruit/get more than 1 or 2 black players every few years in a decade is in the negative percentile...........and facts are facts, for those that may have a problem with what I just said.

Add another Maryland player to the list. Read it is a grad transfer situation...

Last edited:
Any reason why they are transferring

Tough coach to play for, so is Oregon's coach. Ohio State's Kevin McGruff used to be very grumpy too, but he seems to have mellowed a bit. Iowa State's Billy Fennelly is on the grumpy side as well.
ADs need to put a clause in coaches contracts regarding the transfer the portal so that coaches are held accountable when multiple players leave who are in good academic standing. No team should have 4 starters leave unless there is a coaching change. I'm sure Maryland will find capable replacements but I don't expect the program to compete for a BIG championship.

And in Minnesota's case where most of the team leaves, that should be immediate dismissal.

• Haha
Reactions: monoman3232
I haven’t seen academics mentioned. While graduate transfers have a great opportunity to start work on their masters degree at a university with a strong program, jumping colleges for only athletics may be short-sighted for undergrads who won’t continue in athletics after graduation. Yes, I think a college degree can mean something.

I haven’t seen academics mentioned. While graduate transfers have a great opportunity to start work on their masters degree at a university with a strong program, jumping colleges for only athletics may be short-sighted for undergrads who won’t continue in athletics after graduation. Yes, I think a college degree can mean something.
you would be surprised how little a college degree means in the real world outside of a handful of professions. Add to that the fact that there isn't much difference between many of the public universities as far as prestige/notoriety. Unless you attend a college with an exceptional Alumni network a degree from one public university is just as good as another as long as the player graduates.

TBH a college degree doesn't help much in terms of pay despite the narrative that is pushed. I went back to school to get my degree and the difference in what I was making pre-degree and what I make now is marginal. Had I stayed working in my field without a college degree I'd likely be making more just for extra years working in the position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT