ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Who will next year's starters be?

5StarHawk

HR All-State
May 8, 2002
Jennings and Disterhoff for sure. Peschel likely will fill a spot.
Chase Coley likely also will start.
Which of the freshmen will start? And will any of them over take Peschel and Coley as starters before season end?

Originally posted by 5StarHawk:
Which of the freshmen will start? And will any of them over take Peschel and Coley as starters before season end?
Likely starting five in OOC schedule will be C Coley PF Peschl SF Disterhoft SG Kastanek PG Jennings. Freshmen C/PF Gustafson, F Stewart, PG Davis & Soph SF/SG Buttenham will fill out the rotation. Claire Till will continue in her role as the undersized tough defenderr & tenacious rebounder who will play the post, especially the first half if/when Coley gets in early foul trouble.

Don't be surprised if pint-sized Tania Davis joins Jennings in a very small, very quick, extremely fast guard tandem with outstanding ball handling & passing skills by the time BT play begins. Good chance too that Gustafson's minutes increase at the expense of Coley, Stewart and/or Buttenham take playing time away from Kastanek, but not so much from Peschl who will be our leading rebounder hopefully. What I am most curious to find out is whether Stewart or Larson or both make a place for themselves by providing the kind of rebounding domination that the Hawkeyes have usually lacked post-Stringer.

When the top scoring trio graduate virtually always a team falls out of contention in the BT. That may not happen with Bluder's team next year. The biggest loss, of course, is the unreplaceable Sam Logic, but no one is going to deserve mention in the same sentence with Dixon as a 3-point marksman. But offensively we should get more turnover breakaway baskets, more put-backs, more points in the paint. And we should be much better defensively inside. And much better at preventing points from offensive rebounds.

We are going to be much deeper, and Bluder is going to have the pleasant problem of finding enough playing time to go around. I look for more of the same chemistry of a roster of players who love their coach and teammates. And more national attention to the Hawkeyes as the kind of team, with the kind of coaches, and great environment that potential top prospects will want to join.

A pause at most, as Bluder's program continues its rise to BT supremacy and national prominence. Still, a note of caution is in order: Maryland will again be very strong, Ohio State even better, Nebraska & Minnesota perhaps even more improved.
And Vivian is still at Rutgers, still IMO the best coach in women's hoops once Pat Summit is longer active (with apology to the Muppet or Muffin or whatever she is at Notre Dame).
This post was edited on 3/30 3:09 AM by Tiggerhawk

On paper, Davis is every bit as acclaimed as Jennings and Disterhoft who both started as freshmen, so I expect Davis to start eventually. I'm not sure about the first game, but by the start of Big Ten I think its:

Davis
Jennings
Disterhoft
Peschel
Coley

We would have tiny guards, but we ought to be able to really push tempo with them and still minimize turnovers.

The trio of Dixon, Logic, and Doolittle leaves as the highest scoring trio (in one class) in B1G history, replacing another Iowa trio of Kristi smith, Megan Skouby, and Wendy Ausdemore . So what happened when Smith, Ausdemore, and Skouby left? The Hawks went 10-8 in the Big Ten, 20-14 overall, made the NCAA tournament, beat Rutgers in a first round game, and ended the season losing to a #1 seed, Stanford , on their home court. The reason for the continued success? Kachine Alexander took on more scoring duties, Jamie Printy and Morgan Johnson arrived, and Kamile Whalin averaged over 14 points a game in her Soph season. Kelly Krei and Theairra Taylor also chipped in , although Theairra only made it through 10 games before her second ACL.
With the Smith, Ausdemore, and Skouby trio being seniors the team was 13-5 in the Big Ten, 21-11 overall, made the NCAA tournament, and lost in the first round to Georgia Tech. They finished in a tie for second in the Big Ten, after sharing the title in the previous year.
So, with the influx of talent, a returning solid core, and, hopefully, continued health, I think they can be upper division in the big Ten, win 20 games, and make the NCAA tournament.

It does seem like the team will have a lot of depth next year, but as this year again illustrated, even with the wonderful experience it was, Lisa doesn't really do depth. Starters average over 30 minutes, especially as the season progresses.

I'm trying to see a Kash, Jamie, or Morgan next year among the returnees or freshmen. Haven't been able to yet, but hopefully there will be.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by nattybumpo:
On paper, Davis is every bit as acclaimed as Jennings and Disterhoft who both started as freshmen, so I expect Davis to start eventually. I'm not sure about the first game, but by the start of Big Ten I think its:

Davis
Jennings

We would have tiny guards, but we ought to be able to really push tempo with them and still minimize turnovers.
Not a rhetorical question. Have there been many programs that were successful with two guards that short starting?

Starting 5

Jennings
Disterhoft
Peschel
Stewart
Coley

If you don't rebound, you're not going to win.

I would really like to see more of Claire Till next year. She was instant energy off the bench and usually got stuck guarding a much bigger player. I think she is our best defender.

Great freshman class in 2015 and another great class will be freshmen in 2016. The competition for playing time will be fierce.

I share Bluder's belief that you play your best players as much as they can play effectively. For example, barring fouls, injuries and blow outs, why would Dixon, Doolittle or Logic ever come out?

Not a rhetorical question. Have there been many programs that were successful with two guards that short starting?

In 2013 when Iowa hosted the NCAA tournament Middle Tenn. State had two small guards. They played Notre Dame, the #1 seed, and Skylar Diggins *(1st team AA). Their two little guards gave ND fits until the refs stepped in to make sure there was no upset..

No one has mentioned Christine Buttenham. When I have seen Buttenham play, she seemed to have a great deal of talent, although sometimes played a little out of control. Buttenham might be the best three-point shooter returning next year from our current players. I don't know if she will start, but I bet she gets an opportunity for plenty of minutes.

Not been sold on Kastanek, though she certainly improved this year. Buttenham's minutes went down toward the end of the year. I like what she brought and hope she improves enough to be the first off the bench or even start. Peschal? Well, she began as a starter last year until Disterhoft came on. One hopes for her sake it doesn't happen again. She is great as a 3 pt shooter off the bench this year, but i wonder about her toughness. We shall see.

It is hard to disagree with Tiggerhawks lineups:
Start of year:
C Coley
PF Peschl
SF Disterhoft
SG Kastanek
PG Jennings

...with Davis possible taking Kastanek's starter role by midseason. The one thing I don't like about that lineup is that it is really four guards plus a slender center. Coley showed glimpses of a great offensive threat, but she may always suffer from a lack of bulk. I would like to see a physically stronger lineup (rebounds, please) at times that would allow Coley to play the PF and Peschel to handle the ball and shoot.

C- by committee (Freshman/Till/Smith)
PF- Coley
SF Peschel
SG Disterhoft
PG Jennings

I don't know if we can keep Davis off the floor. Buttenham showed that she could be ready for more minutes. If Bluder again finds her 6.5 players to play the bulk of most games, someone will be left out. Here's my guess on distribution.
Every Minute Possible: Disterhoft, Jennings

18-28 minutes: Davis, Coley, Peschel
Solid contributors: Kastanek, Buttenham, Till
Spot Duty: Mohns, Gustafson

I agree with what Tigger posted about starting line up at beginning of year. There is talent so it will be a matter of meshing and finding the best 5.

I will be interested in seeing the role Ally will have . I think Lisa will build offense around her and she has talent to be a real leader. Kastanek hasn't played much but she was highly regarded as recruit.

Rebounding will still be a worry. Maybe Ally steps up there too. Mohns was mentioned as good rebounder so she will be in picture. Hopefully Coley develops as both rebounder and scorer. Lisa said she has one of best left hand shots she has seen so we will probably see more of that next season.

Claire Till brings energy. Hopefully her knees (or whatever her injuries were0 will allow her to contribute more as a senior.

My Dad has season tickets to hoops (both men & women). He said the people behind him at women's games said that Jennings was homesick and would likely transfer in the off season. Anyone else hearing that? I hope it isn't so.

Originally posted by hawkitd:
My Dad has season tickets to hoops (both men & women). He said the people behind him at women's games said that Jennings was homesick and would likely transfer in the off season. Anyone else hearing that? I hope it isn't so.
That rumor was refuted long ago. I think she went home for break and people started saying she was homesick. Oakhawk or someone will remember better than I.

Iowa did very well with Jolette Law and Stephanie Schuler under Vivian. Both were tiny and quick, fun to watch, and successful playing together.

Clare doesn't get a lot of minutes because her best position by far is center and she's a small center.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Is there anyone that can replace Dixon's three-point shooting in next year's line up? Disterhoft is very hesitant to shoot. Buttenham seems to have a quick release but didn't play enough to be judged. Jennings looks plausible. Iowa has been spoiled by Wendy Ausdemore, Jaime Printy and Dixon in the past 10 years.

This post was edited on 3/30 6:08 PM by UpstreamHawkeye

Originally posted by SLarew:

That rumor was refuted long ago. I think she went home for break and people started saying she was homesick. Oakhawk or someone will remember better than I.
I don't know when that trip home happened, but Jan Jensen said she went home for a few days after the Big Ten Tournament, and came back a sophomore. She certainly played like it.

Originally posted by Tiggerhawk:
Originally posted by 5StarHawk:
Likely starting five in OOC schedule will be C Coley PF Peschl SF Disterhoft SG Kastanek PG Jennings. Freshmen C/PF Gustafson, F Stewart, PG Davis & Soph SF/SG Buttenham will fill out the rotation. Claire Till will continue in her role as the undersized tough defenderr & tenacious rebounder who will play the post, especially the first half if/when Coley gets in early foul trouble.

Don't be surprised if pint-sized Tania Davis joins Jennings in a very small, very quick, extremely fast guard tandem with outstanding ball handling & passing skills by the time BT play begins. Good chance too that Gustafson's minutes increase at the expense of Coley, Stewart and/or Buttenham take playing time away from Kastanek, but not so much from Peschl who will be our leading rebounder hopefully. What I am most curious to find out is whether Stewart or Larson or both make a place for themselves by providing the kind of rebounding domination that the Hawkeyes have usually lacked post-Stringer.

When the top scoring trio graduate virtually always a team falls out of contention in the BT. That may not happen with Bluder's team next year. The biggest loss, of course, is the unreplaceable Sam Logic, but no one is going to deserve mention in the same sentence with Dixon as a 3-point marksman. But offensively we should get more turnover breakaway baskets, more put-backs, more points in the paint. And we should be much better defensively inside. And much better at preventing points from offensive rebounds.

We are going to be much deeper, and Bluder is going to have the pleasant problem of finding enough playing time to go around. I look for more of the same chemistry of a roster of players who love their coach and teammates. And more national attention to the Hawkeyes as the kind of team, with the kind of coaches, and great environment that potential top prospects will want to join.

A pause at most, as Bluder's program continues its rise to BT supremacy and national prominence. Still, a note of caution is in order: Maryland will again be very strong, Ohio State even better, Nebraska & Minnesota perhaps even more improved.
And Vivian is still at Rutgers, still IMO the best coach in women's hoops once Pat Summit is longer active (with apology to the Muppet or Muffin or whatever she is at Notre Dame).
This post was edited on 3/30 3:09 AM by Tiggerhawk
Don't see Nebby being better next year when four of the five starters graduate

Disterhoft was hesitant to shoot with good reason. She played with torn ligaments in the thumb of her shooting hand most of the year. Amazing how many times she scored in double figures anyway on pure grit. It will require surgery in the offseason. I predict we will see a different Allie next year.

Alexa played with a foot injury. It bothered her at the end of last year too. Ally played with a light wrap most of the year, and then, then a heavier wrap at the end. Whit was homesick early in the year but got more comfortable as the season progressed.

judging by twitter, whit seems to have a boyfriend playing basketball at Wright State? so I suppose it's always possible.

however i hope the coaches can get through to her about how dumb it would be to follow a college boyfriend around.

Practices will definitely be more competitive & I believe this will force Lisa to use the bench quite a bit more than normal. I think Jennings, Kastanek/ or Buttenham, Disterhoft, Peschel, & Coley start most of the season. Davis is aggressive despite her size and will see plenty of minutes as will Gustafson, Mohns, & Stewart. Claire Tilll will see minutes early in the season but give way to Gustafson later in the year, she will see minutes near the end of the first half/or when there is foul trouble. It's unfortunate her knees just don't allow her to do much. With the depth the team will have I think Lisa will look to redshirt Larson even if she comes in healthy. I see the team being more balanced inside/out as there isn't a Dixon knock down type of shooter on the roster & they have more size now. I just hope with the depth Lisa demands more effort on defense & rebounding - do it or sit on the bench should be the message. I'd like to see more of a defensive minded coach join the staff, Kachine Alexander would fit the bill & she is already in the coaching business. It's a really young team, but should be fun to watch grow.

I don't normally involve myself very much in these discussions but this is a really good one and I like to see the increased interest in the WBB program.

I tend to agree with everything you say Jockos. I would only add my opinion that I think Hannah Stewart could surprise everyone next year. It's mostly just a gut feeling but I like the tandem of her and Chase together. Both can shoot the '3', 'drive' the lane, and post up depending on how the opponent try's to defend them. I believe Carly has similar skills and they are all good rebounders and defenders.

I think there is a good chance that Tania Davis starts as the PG, with Whit playing a similar role as she did this season with more shooting. They can switch off being the point. Kali really came on strong at the end but she had other big games. she worked a lot on her shooting last summer and it paid off. She was close to Melissa in3pt percentage. Tagyn Larson shot 47% from 3pt this year. She could get minutes as a wing m kind of like Kelly Krei.

Iowa WBB will take a foreign trip to Italy this summer. So that will help in sorting things out. The FR will be allowed to go along, so they will get to know their teammates and how to play in the Iowa system.

Originally posted by BGHAWK:
Originally posted by SLarew:

I don't know when that trip home happened, but Jan Jensen said she went home for a few days after the Big Ten Tournament, and came back a sophomore. She certainly played like it.
The fans in the seats behind my Dad must not read HR then.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

They were saying this the last week of the regular season. From what I can tell, she appears to be completely sold on her place within the team. She'll be a real good one for us over the next 3 years, she has great handles & can shoot the rock too.

I hope we don't have anybody leave the program in womens basketball this year. I don't know who it whould be.

We shall see. Expectations will be lower than this last year but one thing is still certain in my opinion. That is the team and their season will continue to be interesting and exciting to watch, but just in a different way, and that is because we will have the opportunity to witness the emergence of three or possibly as many as four new stars in the making. Who those stars will be and how they emerge is what I am looking forward to.

Iowa cannot replace Dixson, but Ally, Alexa, Whit, Kali and Buttenham all can shoot the 3. Add in Tagyn and Tania and they should be ok. I would look to see Tania, Alexa and Whit rotate in the two guard positions. Coley will be an excellent player, and like Bethany, needs to stay out of foul trouble. How hard she works in the offseason and preseason practice will determine how much she plays imho. I'm interested in seeing Gustafson at center and Stewart at a forward position. Lisa played everyone early last season and then as the season went on, settled on 6 or 7 or 8 depending on foul trouble. It will be interesting to see what role Mohns will play.

Originally posted by oakhawk:
Iowa WBB will take a foreign trip to Italy this summer. So that will help in sorting things out. The FR will be allowed to go along, so they will get to know their teammates and how to play in the Iowa system.
Thanks Oakhawk for that information. I was wondering about that. It was four years ago that they last went, but since I hadn't heard anything about it, I though maybe it hadn't been determined yet. Anyway, do you know what the dates are? My guess would be in August. Also, they will be allowed some extra practices before they go and that would presumably come after the GTL play is over in July. Finally, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Christina B is committed to play for the Canadian Jr or Sr national team this summer. If that is the case, would she miss the Italy trip?

Lisa coaching the Pan Am games in July. I assume the team is going later in the summer to Italy.

Originally posted by nattybumpo:

Davis
Jennings
Disterhoft
Peschel
Coley

That definitely is not a very physical line-up. I could see this in late game scenarios with a lead on offense under full court pressure. But I wonder how Lisa would split up the guards in scrimmages. If she practices with them together, that would create a huge mismatch. If she separates them, then they are matched but wouldn't develop the chemistry. I would expect Lisa to experiment with different combinations.

Jennings got beat consistently on defense. So to play Jennings and Davis at the same time, Davis would have to play D against the off-guard. I believe she may have the strength to play the 2 but she would be at a significant height disadvantage.

The bigger issue is going to be the 4 & 5 spots. I just don't think you can have 4 guards plus Coley. Peschel is not a power forward period.

So in my mind, Coley, Megan, Mohns, and Stewart- 2 of them must be on the court at all times in you want to have any interior defense and rebounding. Even with 2 of them, we will still be a finesse team.

If Mohns is going to gain minutes, it will be at the 4 spot. LB made note of her rebounding during the fall but LB went with a small lineup that never featured a true PF in the lineup.

The team is loaded at the wing spots and Mohns is a slightly undersized power forward.

Whether Mohns will get minutes this fall depends on:

1. Does LB go small or big

2. Will Mohns beat out Stewart and Coley if Lisa plays big.

3. Will Megan (post recruit from WI) be ready to play as a true freshman.

4. How good is Mohns on D in the low post. May be hard to beat out the veteran Till for minutes based on low post D. Will Till's knees hold up for another season.

Originally posted by BGHAWK:

I didn't see Jennings get consistently beat on defense.
I thought Whitney really improved down the stretch - on defense and her scoring. I don't know how you move her out of the starting line-up but Davis is pretty special herself. Should be interesting.

Looking forward to watching Gustafson and Stewart also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT