ADVERTISEMENT

We’re gonna need a bigger price

seminole97

HR Legend
Jun 14, 2005
In a move that can only be described as inconspicuously timed, Ford announced last week that it is raising the price of its high end electric F-150 by up to $8,500; an amount that adds another $1,000 onto the new $7,500 EV subsidy that was including in President Biden's "Inflation Reduction Act".

Ford estimated sales based on the price they're offering. If the government gives buyers a subsidy, there will be too much demand and Ford won't be able deliver, creating unhappy customers.

Capitalism - it can be a bitch.

Big truck dealers have already been adding cost to the sticker price because the market will bear it. The new Ford EV truck looks pretty amazing - people are lining up to buy it. Why shouldn't Ford many money on something terrific that they made?

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Capitalism - it can be a bitch.

Big truck dealers have already been adding cost to the sticker price because the market will bear it. The new Ford EV truck looks pretty amazing - people are lining up to buy it. Why shouldn't Ford many money on something terrific that they made?
Government subsidies aren’t capitalism.

Why should the government borrow money and encumber the eternal annual interest expense of that debt to subsidize the purchase of vehicles that exceed the median annual wage in price?

Why should the government borrow money and encumber the eternal annual interest expense of that debt to subsidize the purchase of vehicles that exceed the median annual wage in price?

The subsidy is intended to help jump start a transition that will benefit the public good.
The carbon industries enjoy subsidies as well, not the least of which is public funded cleanup of their pollution.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheCainer
I was looking at truck prices just the other day to see if maybe gas prices had slowed down demand. (stop laughing) All of the pricing for new trucks had a $3000-5000 "market adjustment" added to them. Apparently people are willing to pay it. We don't need one enough to pay over sticker. Or even sticker. It may be a while.

The waiting list for the F-150 Lightning is over 200k people, before the subsidy.

This is borrowing money to give it to those wealthy enough to buy new vehicles when they’re willing and able to buy it anyway.

It’s terrible policy.
It also applies to more mundane vehicles in an effort to jump start a much needed transition. I would speculate that we all gain over the lifetime of those rides. Less pollution, fewer health issues, less imported carbon, etc…

Last edited:
Reactions: BelemNole
I can't wait to see all of these Ford pickup truck EVs rolling around rural Iowa with their widdle, widdle, itty, bitty truck nuts on the rear hitch.

GrandioseFarflungCuttlefish-size_restricted.gif

Because the government wants people to buy EV's. It is somewhat odd that you can get a tax credit for buying a truck that costs more than a lot of folks houses - I will give you that.

I just checked the blue book on my truck…it has barely depreciated since I bought it, it is kind of nuts….no wonder they’re raising the prices of the lightning…it looks amazing and this market will support it.

I talked with a buddy who’s ordering a new truck….over $85,000 vehicle…this is insanity…

I was looking at truck prices just the other day to see if maybe gas prices had slowed down demand. (stop laughing) All of the pricing for new trucks had a $3000-5000 "market adjustment" added to them. Apparently people are willing to pay it. We don't need one enough to pay over sticker. Or even sticker. It may be a while.
Stories like this plus seeing every restaurant around town packed with people buying $2 wings makes me really cast a jaundiced eye to those claiming the economy is bad.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Curious what area you where looking. I purchased a new truck last month and none of them had “market adjustment” fees. I didn’t look at 1/2 ton prices however.

I’m on a list for a new Raptor R. I know a guy so I’ll pay sticker (not $20,000+ over like the rubes). Once received I can sell it immediately and make an estimated $40,000-$60,000. Sticker should be around $112,000.

I won’t sell it though. At least I won’t sell it for a few years (and probably still make that on it).

You’ll probably have to pay sticker for an F-150 for the next few years at least. If you want something under sticker buy a Ram (warning: they suck but not as bad as they used to).

He wants a Sierra. Denali of course. There’s no way he’s getting a brand new Denali. Not at these prices

That 6.2L engine is nice but I’ll never understand people paying more for a GMC vs the same truck with a bow tie logo.

I’ve got 3 friends with new-ish (less than 2 years old) GMC trucks. They’re nice but it’s a Chevy with a higher price tag.

Reactions: 3boysmom
ADVERTISEMENT