ADVERTISEMENT

We Are Rapidly Approaching The Great Filter...

drew_hawk

HR All-American
Jan 16, 2016
A great feeling had just swept over me, and I believe suddenly and fervently that humanity is current in rapid approach of the existential concept of "The Great Filter", which is often referred to in discussion of the Fermi Paradox and associated conjectures into a non-secular conception of our species and our place in the universe.

Generally, the most accurate assessment of the age of our universe based on all measurable and mathematically confirmable constants puts the age of our universe roundabout 13.8 Billion years. So that's a lot. As far as our habitable rock is concerned, well we still looking at a roundabout 4.5 Billy. Thus and then, we are looking on a scaled evolutionary scale equal or greater than 500 G for an evolutionary trait to become an established piece of the special germline.

So, that brings us to now. We've had the opportunity in that time window to adopt a calculated ass-ton of positive evolutionary manipulations that aught to have worked towards optimizing our ability as a species to survive, thrive, and eventually ascend to...

BUT, this is not going to happen. You know it, and I know it. It is not going to happen for us. And you know why? Well, let me tell you why your sail is going down in the storm, sailor.

It is because, evolution has reached a point where it cannot adjust in time to counteract the seeds of hate that have sown into the centers of the human brain in the forms of fear. Thing about it; our brains are still stuck in the last ~500 Milly update cycle; while our technology has increased at an exponential level that I cannot even provide another horseshit figure for. I mean, lets simplify this... imagine 500 years ago... primitive as f*ck, eh? Ok, now consider that fact that our last successful evolutionary hardware update occurred 500 MILLION YEARS AGO. Well, I'm sorry folks, and you can read that book you wrote, but its not going to change the fact that the spark has lit the gas, and we're milliseconds away from the explosing.

-Please don't quote me on any of this.

Last edited:
A great feeling had just swept over me, and I believe suddenly and fervently that humanity is current in rapid approach of the existential concept of "The Great Filter", which is often referred to in discussion of the Fermi Paradox and associated conjectures into a non-secular conception of our species and our place in the universe.

Generally, the most accurate assessment of the age of our universe based on all measurable and mathematically confirmable constants puts the age of our universe roundabout 13.8 Billion years. So that's a lot. As far as our habitable rock is concerned, well we still looking at a roundabout 4.5 Billy. Thus and then, we are looking on a scaled evolutionary scale equal or greater than 500 G for an evolutionary trait to become an established piece of the special germline.

So, that brings us to now. We've had the opportunity in that time window to adopt a calculated ass-ton of positive evolutionary manipulations that aught to have worked towards optimizing our ability as a species to survive, thrive, and eventually ascend to...

BUT, this is not going to happen. You know it, and I know it. It is not going to happen for us. And you know why? Well, let me tell you why your sail is going down in the storm, sailor.

It is because, evolution has reached a point where it cannot adjust in time to counteract the seeds of hate that have sown into the centers of the human brain in the forms of fear. Thing about it; our brains are still stuck in the last ~500 Milly update cycle; while our technology has increased at an exponential level that I cannot even provide another horseshit figure for. I mean, lets simplify this... imagine 500 years ago... primitive as f*ck, eh? Ok, now consider that fact that our last successful evolutionary hardware update occurred 500 MILLION YEARS AGO. Well, I'm sorry folks, but you can read that book you wrote, but its not going to change the fact that the spark has lit the gas, and we're milliseconds away from the explosing.

I am quoting the whole damn thing.

I'm happy to know that this random stream of consciousness was able to manifest itself in a viewable typeface that directly coordinates to a form of sign recognition that you understand. I hope that you enjoy the remainder of your evening, and that the morning to come shall bring forth delights of the upmost degree to you and yours.

hope it is not considered impolite to inquire whether op’s insight was gained with assistance of a tailwind. either way, kudos.

Reactions: 24 so far

It is because, evolution has reached a point where it cannot adjust in time to counteract the seeds of hate that have sown into the centers of the human brain in the forms of fear. Thing about it; our brains are still stuck in the last ~500 Milly update cycle; while our technology has increased at an exponential level that I cannot even provide another horseshit figure for. I mean, lets simplify this... imagine 500 years ago... primitive as f*ck, eh? Ok, now consider that fact that our last successful evolutionary hardware update occurred 500 MILLION YEARS AGO. Well, I'm sorry folks, but you can read that book you wrote, but its not going to change the fact that the spark has lit the gas, and we're milliseconds away from the explosing.

tumblr_mn44tcJCGf1qcxkiwo1_500.gif

Psychedelics always made me really hopeful and at peace. Like I could see how interconnected everything was and how god isn’t a singular being but actually the whole of existence expressing itself. Damn I need to do mushrooms again!

Seems like OP is just stoned.
This guy gets it.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler

It is because, evolution has reached a point where it cannot adjust in time to counteract the seeds of hate that have sown into the centers of the human brain in the forms of fear. Thing about it; our brains are still stuck in the last ~500 Milly update cycle; while our technology has increased at an exponential level that I cannot even provide another horseshit figure for. I mean, lets simplify this... imagine 500 years ago... primitive as f*ck, eh? Ok, now consider that fact that our last successful evolutionary hardware update occurred 500 MILLION YEARS AGO. Well, I'm sorry folks, and you can read that book you wrote, but its not going to change the fact that the spark has lit the gas, and we're milliseconds away from the explosing.

Let me give this some serious thought and I will get back to you.

Not sure when, for sure, but can you give me a millenia to play with?

TIA!

You are not stoned and you are quite right.

My favorite quote from one of my favorite people of all time echoes what you are saying:

“The real problem of humanity is the following: We have Paleolithic emotions, medieval institutions and godlike technology. And it is terrifically dangerous, and it is now approaching a point of crisis overall.”
EO Wilson

I mention The Great Spirit and peyote, and the next day we get this. Checks out. 😏

And I opened the thread thinking someone has come up with a furnace filter that lasts for years with no maintenance required.............

Last edited:
Psychedelics always made me really hopeful and at peace. Like I could see how interconnected everything was and how god isn’t a singular being but actually the whole of existence expressing itself. Damn I need to do mushrooms again!

Seems like OP is just stoned.
ORLY?
"Let's be adults about this. These are no longer 'shrooms.' These are no longer party drugs for young people," Stamets told CNN. "Psilocybin mushrooms are nonaddictive, life-changing substances."
Small clinical trials that have shown that one or two doses of psilocybin, given in a therapeutic setting, can make dramatic and long-lasting changes in people suffering from treatment-resistant major depressive disorder, which typically does not respond to traditional antidepressants.

Based on this research, the US Food and Drug Administration has described psilocybin as a breakthrough medicine, "which is phenomenal," Stamets said.

• Love
Reactions: drew_hawk
ADVERTISEMENT