ADVERTISEMENT

We control our own destiny

If Iowa wins out then they get a double bye

Yes it would’ve been nice for Minnesota to help but Iowa has everything they need right in front of them. Let’s go get it

Dang right.

Although...I didn't mind that bracket they just showed on BTN now. Us at #6, facing Wisconsin at #3. Assuming we win the 1st game :)

I want Wisconsin to lose every game, today wasn't any different than usual. Nothing related to the standings

I think wis,md,msu and psu can all finish ahead of iowa even if we win out.

MSU stills plays PSU, right?

Yes, they play Tuesday. Do we want a MSU win, so that we can push PSU behind with a win against Purdue? Or a PSU win to gain a spot on MSU.

Really, since we probably aren't going to win the B1G. Just win and improve our NCAA seed....is all I want

Reactions: VicHawkeye
Yes, they play Tuesday. Do we want a MSU win, so that we can push PSU behind with a win against Purdue? Or a PSU win to gain a spot on MSU.

Really, since we probably aren't going to win the B1G. Just win and improve our NCAA seed....is all I want
want pedds to lose so they finish 12-8

while we're at it, a 5 team tie for 1st will be fine too :D

want pedds to lose so they finish 12-8

while we're at it, a 5 team tie for 1st will be fine too :D

Ahhh. I see PSU faces NW in the final game.

How come everyone assumes a win against NW? I have Wiscy losing to NW on Tuesday ;).

Sure wish we got to play NW twice!

images
Ahhh. I see PSU faces NW in the final game.

How come everyone assumes a win against NW? I have Wiscy losing to NW on Tuesday ;).

Sure wish we got to play NW twice!

psu has the tiebreak on iowa so if they win out, and msu goes 1-1 they all finish 13-7....msu also has tiebreak on iowa(head to head)....so hawks finish behind md,wis,msu and psu.
go sparty...beat psu

Reactions: H4wkfan4life
How does PSU finish ahead of us in the seeding if we're both 13 and 7 and we split the two regular season games?

psu has the tiebreak on iowa so if they win out, and msu goes 1-1 they all finish 13-7....msu also has tiebreak on iowa(head to head)....so hawks finish behind md,wis,msu and psu.
go sparty...beat psu

PSU only has the tiebreak on Iowa in a multi-team tie, which, granted, it appears there will be. It depends on who the teams tied are.

The talking heads on BTN last evening said there was still a chance for a six-way tie for the B1G Championship. I know that won't happen but wouldn't that be a tie-breaker nightmare?

Not in the sports "control your own destiny" usage. It means "if you win out, you know what you've won".

I know exactly what it means, but it's the incorrect usage of the world "destiny." Destiny is fate...it's predetermined. You can't control it. Sports talking heads slaughter the language so I wouldn't use them as a reference point. It would be correct to say, "they control their own future." But the other has become such an overused cliche that no one even thinks about what the words actually mean anymore.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
go sparty...beat psu

I really don't want to get into a p+ssing match, but....

I assume you're going with the scenario of 1. MD 15-5, 2. WI 14-6, 3. IA/MSU/PSU 13-7

Tiebreaker: 3rd place teams vs each other - PSU 3-1, IA 1-2, MSU 1-2. This gives PSU 3rd seed.

Iowa and MSU are still tied. Despite popular belief, you do NOT revert back to head-to-head at this point (see rules, linked somewhere else in this thread). Instead you go with record vs. #1 seed (both still 1-1), then record vs. #2 seed (IA 1-0, MSU 1-1). This gives Iowa 4th seed.

If Wisconsin and/or Illinois also tie with IA/MSU/PSU at 13-7, it still ends up with Iowa in the top 4. If you don't believe me, look at the rules and work through the scenarios yourself.

Last edited:
I know exactly what it means, but it's the incorrect usage of the world "destiny." Destiny is fate...it's predetermined. You can't control it. Sports talking heads slaughter the language so I wouldn't use them as a reference point. It would be correct to say, "they control their own future." But the other has become such an overused cliche that no one even thinks about what the words actually mean anymore.

Either that or no one else is nearly as neurotic about it as you are.

But in college basketball, technically every team controls their own destiny. Win out and you win it all, no matter what your regular season record is.

Well, this is why we need to be a little less sloppy when using this "control your own destiny" phrase. It was used here where the destiny was Big Ten Basketball tournament seeding. Not sure if we (Iowa) control our seeding destiny or not, but, that is the topic referred to in the OP.

You are correct that every team (I think, see note below) does control the destiny of winning the national championship (as you said, win out, you are the champ).

Note: Not sure every single conference has a tourney to set the auto-bid, nor am I sure that there are no independents.

The talking heads on BTN last evening said there was still a chance for a six-way tie for the B1G Championship. I know that won't happen but wouldn't that be a tie-breaker nightmare?

VERY UNLIKELY that Maryland loses their last 2 games to finish potentially tied with 5 other teams, but for fun, if IL/IA/MD/MSU/PSU/WI all finish tied for first at 13-7:

Records vs each other:
IL - 2-6
IA - 5-3
MD - 4-4
MSU - 5-4
PSU - 4-3
WI - 3-3

Seeds:
#1 Iowa
#2 PSU
#3 MSU
#4 WI
#5 MD
#6 IL

**Edit - My original list had PSU-MSU switched (had MSU's round-robin record incorrect) and WI-MD switched (didn't realize next tie-breaker was vs. 7th place teams, not Iowa).

In more likely scenario with MD finishing first and a 5-way tie for 2nd:

#1 MD
#2 Iowa
#3 MSU
#4 PSU
#5 WI
#6 IL

If Illinois drops both their remaining games and there is a 4-way tie for 2nd:

#1 MD
#2 PSU
#3 WI
#4 Iowa
#5 MSU

If Wisconsin wins out and there is a 3-way tie for 3rd at 13-7:

#1 MD
#2 WI
#3 PSU
#4 Iowa
#5 MSU

If Maryland, Wisconsin, Michigan St and Iowa win out (this is probably the most likely scenario):

#1 MD
#2 WI
#3 MSU
#4 Iowa

Bottom line for Iowa - Hawkeyes will end up with a top 4 seed if they win out. The tiebreaker scenario that helps the most is if it involves Illinois, which they would be 2-0 against. So, if you want to know which team to root for this week other than Iowa, it would be for Illinois to win at OSU on Thurs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rifler
If people using the phrase "control own destiny" in regards to sports bothers you that much, that's pretty much the definition of neurotic.

Fine. If it makes you happy, I'm neurotic about it. Doesn't change the fact that that particular phrase is stupid, incorrect, and overused.

Fine. If it makes you happy, I'm neurotic about it. Doesn't change the fact that that particular phrase is stupid, incorrect, and overused.

I don't thing the phrase is stupid. It has a useful meaning. However, it is often used incorrectly.

Iowa does control its own destiny. If the Hawkeyes win all their remaining games, they are national champs.

Getting hung up on a double bye is aiming low.

But if you believe in pre-determined destiny, then whatever ends up happening, will have been pre-determined.

So, regarding the phrase "control your own destiny"... the only incorrect word, would be "control."

But if you believe in pre-determined destiny, then whatever ends up happening, will have been pre-determined.

So, regarding the phrase "control your own destiny"... the only incorrect word, would be "control."

... Thus bringing us to an argument about Free-Will versus Determinism.

Who's up for such an argument?

;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT