ADVERTISEMENT

We got a turkey yesterday.

Mar 11, 2020
Soooo.... crazy story....

I'm driving home from DM and talking with a commercial realtor guy I know about some office space for one of my clients. With a baby at home, I decide to drive by the lake so I can finish my call. As I'm cruising down a gravel road, there stands this brown and white turkey. Unlike any turkey I have seen before I decide I want to take a photo of this thing since it let me drive to like 10 feet from it. As I get out the turkey starts walking around the vehicle. I catch up to her as she is standing between my open door and myself. Clearly this thing isn't afraid of me so I decide to push it into my vehicle. After a short ride home "sara" has now joined our family. Knowing what little I know about turkeys I pour some corn on the ground and get her a bowl of water. She immediately starts eating and drinking and even eats directly out of my hand. Things go fairly well, the puppy doesn't know what to think of her and the cat wants to kill her but isn't brave enough, we make it to bed time. Void of options I tried to put her into our hoop building thinking she would roost in thier. She doesn't, she follows me out and keeps scavenging around. After dinner I go downstairs and find Sara nested on our hot tub. Works for me, for the night, so I go to bed. Up with the baby at 2 am I go down to check on Sara and she is nowhere to be found. I start thinking something got her in the middle of thr night but atleast I gave her one good last meal and I'll find what is left of her at some point. My wife let the dog out at 530 and around 645 the damn dog is barking like crazy. I go downstairs, let him in, and there is Sara standing in the woods just looking at me. So, I go grab a bag of corn, and feed her under the bird feeders where she is now comfortably sitting in the sun.

jive-turkey.jpg

Last edited:
Soooo.... crazy story....

I'm driving home from DM and talking with a commercial realtor guy I know about some office space for one of my clients. With a baby at home, I decide to drive by the lake so I can finish my call. As I'm cruising down a gravel road, there stands this brown and white turkey. Unlike any turkey I have seen before I decide I want to take a photo of this thing since it let me drive to like 10 feet from it. As I get out the turkey starts walking around the vehicle. I catch up to her as she is standing between my open door and myself. Clearly this thing isn't afraid of me so I decide to push it into my vehicle. After a short ride home "sara" has now joined our family. Knowing what little I know about turkeys I pour some corn on the ground and get her a bowl of water. She immediately starts eating and drinking and even eats directly out of my hand. Things go fairly well, the puppy doesn't know what to think of her and the cat wants to kill her but isn't brave enough, we make it to bed time. Void of options I tried to put her into our hoop building thinking she would roost in thier. She doesn't, she follows me out and keeps scavenging around. After dinner I go downstairs and find Sara nested on our hot tub. Works for me, for the night, so I go to bed. Up with the baby at 2 am I go down to check on Sara and she is nowhere to be found. I start thinking something got her in the middle of thr night but atleast I gave her one good last meal and I'll find what is left of her at some point. My wife let the dog out at 530 and around 645 the damn dog is barking like crazy. I go downstairs, let him in, and there is Sara standing in the woods just looking at me. So, I go grab a bag of corn, and feed her under the bird feeders where she is now comfortably sitting in the sun.
I knew you were a good dood!

My great grandparents raised various birds including turkeys and also donkeys when I was a kid. All of the grandchildren were scared of the tom but the hens were all very sweet animals. I’m not really sure why they had the turkeys, they kind of protected the chickens I guess.

Sara is a stupid name for a turkey. Could have gone with like Stuffing McGravyface or Butterball or something catchy.

But that is a csb.
When you befriend a turkey, and allow it to come live with your family, you can name it whatever you want. I knew the moment i looked at her Sara was a Sara.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I think I asked this before and maybe I was tripping balls but I swear, at one time, HyVee had live turkeys near their store. At least the one in Iowa City on Waterfront drive.

Has to be a pet.
Has to be. She eats out of my hand and comes to my voice. Idk if someone didn't have the heart to kill her or someone stole someone's turkey and dropped it off at the lake but she is a "dindon rouge" which is common for meat production and I tried googling turkey farms in my area. I know the area pretty well, I don't think she came from a massive place.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I was wondering about what she was exactly.
I think that is what she is. I can call a turkey and hunt wild ones but I know very little about the species as a whole.

I worked at Hyline chicken when I was younger so I'm fairly comfortable with birds....but..I. anyone know shit about keeping a turkey?

Reactions: GOHOX69
Has to be. She eats out of my hand and comes to my voice. Idk if someone didn't have the heart to kill her or someone stole someone's turkey and dropped it off at the lake but she is a "dindon rouge" which is common for meat production and I tried googling turkey farms in my area. I know the area pretty well, I don't think she came from a massive place.
If you end up keeping her she’s going to need a couple buddies. Maybe the dog will bond with her

ADVERTISEMENT