ADVERTISEMENT

WE HAVE A BASEBALL SCHEDULE!! March 6-8 Opening Games vs Michigan (in Texas). 44 Total Games (13 Weekends), Conference ONLY (Same w/ Softball)

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Feb 17 UPDATE:

NOTE: Due to the Big Ten-only schedule and no Big Ten Tournament in 2021, the regular season champion will earn the league’s automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament.

A normal schedule would be 56 games.

February 19-21: Opening weekend for Division I baseball.

Iowa opens TWO WEEKS LATER, March 5-7, vs Michigan. They join Nebraska and Purdue in Round Rock, TX

May 31
: Selection Monday. The NCAA Tournament field of 64 is announced.

June 4 (Friday): The 2021 NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament will begin

June 19-30, 2021: 2021 College World Series, TD Ameritrade Park | Omaha, NE

July 11-13: The 2021 MLB Draft takes place.

Iowa's complete schedule will be found here: https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/baseball/schedule/

It will be interesting to see what happens if there is bad weather; will an impacted team still get all 44 games in?

Reminder: NO Conference Tournament. B1G opponents only. 44 total games. 13 weekends of play. NO mid-week games. NO Fans. Hopefully every game will be streamed.

....................................................................................

Feb 12, 2021 UPDATE:

Rick Heller said in a podcast on Feb 12 that:

* The full schedule should be out early this coming week.

* Opening Weekend is March 5-7
-------5 B1G teams will be playing at US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis
-------4 B1G teams, including IOWA, will be in Texas (see tweet that follows)
-------Another site will have 4 B1G teams

* Week 2 is March 12-14
-------Indiana & Maryland may host games
-------Sites listed above likely hosting this week as well

* Week 3 is March 19-21
-------Normal hosting schedules begin in week 3, so Iowa could host games in Iowa City

* B1G opponents only

* 44 total games
(Rick was hoping for 13 wks x 4 games = 52 games; that didn't work out)

* 13 weekends of play (8 wks x 3 games + 5 wks x 4 games = 44 games)

* NO mid-week games (Rick said they will do intersquad games instead, trying to simulate a real game to give younger guys experience)

* NO Conference Tournament

* NO Fans

* He is going to try to have EVERY game streamed so we can watch

Info regarding the March 5 -7 site in Texas:

....................................................................................

Jan 15, 2021 UPDATE:

Check this out:

NOV 13 ORIGINAL POST:

This sucks. Better than nothing, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: WestIAHawk
Yeah strange to decide that but to let big ten teams play non con in basketball
Yup. I'm going to guess it's a combo of larger rosters for BB and SB, along with corresponding travel costs, as well as less TV revenue from those sports.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn there are some AD's who wish BB & SB would just go away (like the guy at UNI when that program was killed).

Reactions: iowaHawkeyes2323
Still time to change. The decision was obviously related to $$. Less travel costs etc. the positive will be if vaccine allows for fans to attend games and earn some revenue

Saw where the Nebraska AD said he has no idea when these schedules will be released. Will be conference only or close to it.

Clone softball is playing in UNI's Dome tournament (which UNI hasn't announced yet), and is traveling to Florida, Arizona and Texas, or so that's the plan at this time. I'm wondering if some of the BIG office staff who got embarrassed when FB reversed course and played, are taking this opportunity to re-assert themselves, gauging that BB and SB don't have FB's clout.

Meanwhile every other conference is playing non-conference. This hurts the league.
I think this has to do with the B1G requiring that any nonconference opponent abide by the B1G protocols (daily testing, etc).

Remember, that is what happened in basketball. When we played Gonzaga, the Zags had to follow the B1G protocols. When a nonconference opponent visited CHA, as another example, the cost of the testing was deducted from the pay out.

BIG not budging on schedule stuff so far. Probably won’t change. Remember odd # of baseball teams in conf.

BIG not budging on schedule stuff so far. Probably won’t change. Remember odd # of baseball teams in conf.
Is the refusing to play nonconference games mostly because of the B1G's strict covid protecols?

Also, can they start the season sometime late March? Minny can play in US BANK stadium if they have to

when is a realistic start date?

i just feel bad for these players not being able to head south and get some nonconference games in

when is a realistic start date?

i just feel bad for these players not being able to head south and get some nonconference games in

A lot of teams are starting Feb 19 which is the official start date. In fact most if not every conference besides the B1G is. They are also playing non-conference.

Warren and company are screwing our teams by not allowing this.

The Big Ten Conference released the 2021 softball schedule today. As previously reported, the Iowa softball team will compete in 44 contests, all against Big Ten opponents..

The Iowa baseball schedule should be coming out soon. Again, expect a 44 game, conference only, schedule.

Last edited:
Rick Heller said in a podcast on Feb 12 that:

* The full schedule should be out early this coming week.

* Opening Weekend is March 5-7
-------5 B1G teams will be playing at US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis
-------4 B1G teams, including IOWA, will be in Texas (see tweet that follows)
-------Another site will have 4 B1G teams

* Week 2 is March 12-14
-------Indiana & Maryland may host games
-------Sites listed above likely hosting this week as well

* Week 3 is March 19-21
-------Normal hosting schedules begin in week 3, so Iowa could host games in Iowa City

* B1G opponents only

* 44 total games
(Rick was hoping for 13 wks x 4 games = 52 games; that didn't work out)

* 13 weekends of play (8 wks x 3 games + 5 wks x 4 games = 44 games)

* NO mid-week games (Rick said they will do intersquad games instead, trying to simulate a real game to give younger guys experience)

* NO Conference Tournament

* NO Fans

* He is going to try to have EVERY game streamed so we can watch

Info regarding the March 5 -7 site in Texas:

Last edited:
The conference is such a joke with this scheduling. Let them play non conference. You can do a tournament like the Texas one and allow other schools there. No conference tournament again! Ugh! Two straight years of a no go in Omaha and I believe 2022 is the last year on the current deal.

I expect only one or two teams make the post season when we probably have five that have a legit shot.

Yup. I'm going to guess it's a combo of larger rosters for BB and SB, along with corresponding travel costs, as well as less TV revenue from those sports.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn there are some AD's who wish BB & SB would just go away (like the guy at UNI when that program was killed).
don't forget the cost of daily testing

and any nonconfernce opponent would have to follow B1G covid protocols in order to play that B1G team (similar to what nonconfernce basketball opponents had to do, including Gonzaga)

@funnyfletcher @iowaHawkeyes2323 @Row55 @SLarew @HawkeyeInCentralIowa @chonk @2bagger22 @IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life

See original post for the latest updates (there's a lot of them).

As you can see, we open up the weekend of March 5-7, in Texas.

Week 2, March 12-14, will also be at a neutral site.

Week 3, March 19-21, will be on campus.

There will be 13 total weekends of games, 44 total conference only games

When the full 44 game schedule is announced within the next few days, I will update this thread. No reason to start another schedule thread.

The full schedule will also appear here: https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/baseball/schedule/

It would be even better if we tossed in a few ACC schools.

i think the reason the B1G kept it conference only is because they require opponents to follow B1G covid protocols

i have no idea what the protocols are for B1G baseball and softball; are they daily testing B1G baseball and softball players?

also, it will be interesting to see who streams these games....i am guessing it might be BTN Plus

Last edited:
i think the reason the B1G kept it conference only is because they require opponents follow B1G covid protocols

i have idea what the protocols are for B1G baseball and softball; are they daily testing B1G baseball and softball players?

also, it will be interesting to see who streams these games....i am guessing it might be BTN Plus

I have a pretty open calendar these days and will pay nearly any fee to watch.

Reactions: hersh236
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT