ADVERTISEMENT

WE HAVE A BASEBALL SCHEDULE!! March 6-8 Opening Games vs Michigan (in Texas). 44 Total Games (13 Weekends), Conference ONLY (Same w/ Softball)

It took 3 long days to remove the snow from Duane Banks Field (top set of 4 pictures) and Grant Field (field hockey).

Duane Banks Field

EvCGQN-UcAM83d5

Grant Field (field hockey).

EvCGQN_VgAAxz0Z

What the Big 10 is doing to baseball and some of these other outdoor, spring sports is a joke.
It hurts the conference, and the B1G needs to be asked some tough questions on it.

Still a dumb move by the Big Ten. Hope I'm wrong, but it would seem only one or two Big Ten teams will make the NCAA Tournament in this format.

At the end of this post, you will see the Top 25 and the teams that have already gotten games in, while the B1G sits idle.

And speaking of teams playing, would you believe that Western Illinois (!!!) is playing an ACC team, #4 ranked Louisville?

And would you believe this happened?

Check this out & Watch:

Feb 23 Top 25:

1Ole Miss3-06
2Arkansas3-08
3Vanderbilt2-04
4Louisville3-05
5Mississippi State2-17
6Miami2-121
7Florida1-21
8UCLA1-22
9UC Santa Barbara2-111
10Texas Tech0-33
11LSU2-112
12Virginia2-116
13NC State2-013
14TCU1-210
15Georgia Tech2-115
16Wake Forest2-117
17South Carolina3-018
18Tennessee3-019
19Texas0-39
20Oklahoma State2-020
21Auburn3-023
22East Carolina3-025
23West Virginia2-214
24Florida State2-124
25Duke2-1NR

Last edited:
Western Illinois playing ACC schools, while our conference sits and must only play one another. What an embarrassment for conference leadership.

Western Illinois playing ACC schools, while our conference sits and must only play one another. What an embarrassment for conference leadership.

Just think, ONE YEAR AGO TODAY we were playing an ACC team.

Little did we know that 13 days later the NBA would shut down & the following day college basketball would completely shut down.

And @AuroraHawk, Dreyer was pitching in this game.

Some interesting notes from Media Day:

* Heller, is entering his eighth season at Iowa,

* Iowa began last season with a 10-5 record, including wins over No. 18 Arizona, No. 20 North Carolina and No. 14 Duke.

* Iowa returns all of its starting position players

* Iowa lost just three members of its pitching staff after last season.

* Several of Iowa’s seniors from last season elected to take the extra year of eligibility granted by the NCAA due to the pandemic.

* Jack Dreyer will miss the season due to Tommy John surgery

* Because of COVID restrictions on in-person activities during the offseason, Iowa players had to take it upon themselves to get in workouts when they couldn’t formally be together for one reason or another.

* Iowa suffered a setback Feb. 17 when it had to pause all in-person activities due to positive COVID tests within the program. Iowa resumed practice Tuesday (Feb 23) without the players who tested positive for COVID.

Notable Quotes:

“There was a lot of conversation amongst ourselves,” senior catcher Austin Martin said. “But I think at the end of the day, last season it’s no secret, we were robbed of what we were shooting for all year. I think everyone having that common goal in mind and the opportunity to come back and chase that dream last time together was huge.”

After resuming practice on Feb 23 after a ONE WEEK PAUSE:

“We’ve at least been able to get back to close to normal,” head coach Rick Heller said. “Once we get these guys back we should be there. It’s definitely set us back, and it’s set us back at a really rough time, especially when the pitchers are building. You don’t want to have to start over there, and the ramp up was going really well and then kind of a little bump in the road. These guys have been really accountable and I know they’re doing their work to be ready to go. We’re going to get a chance to scrimmage tomorrow and Sunday, which is a blessing.”

Heller expressed his frustration with the schedule Tuesday.

“With all the other things that were dictated, I’m not going to lie, I don’t think any coach in the league is happy with what is being thrown at us,” Heller said. “But we’ll make the best of it and it’s over now, if 44 is the number. We were hoping we would be given a number of weeks, because we’re not playing week one and week two and maybe just schedule four games each weekend would have made the scheduling a lot easier. But that was not the case. We had to stick to the 44 games. So, 44 games in 13 weeks with 13 teams, the math doesn’t work out real well.”

Fans and streaming: Though they won’t be allowed at Duane Banks Field this year, Heller said that fans will be able to stream most, if not all, of Iowa’s games.

The only fans in attendance will be family members of players and coaches.

“I think I’m answering this correctly, that all games will be streamed,” Heller said. “I know the first weekend’s games down in Texas will be streamed. We will have an announcer who is watching the stream broadcast from his home or wherever he’s at, he won’t be traveling with us. I do believe there’s an opportunity for most, if not all, of the games to be streamed.”

There are some TIME & TV changes.

The next 3 games (April 2, 3 and 4) are on BTN Plus

However, 3 games have been moved to BTN (see tweet at end of this post).

There is also an April 9 and April 23 time change.

Again, as a game weekend approaches, go here for all times and TV:

Last edited:
There are some TIME & TV changes.

The next 3 games (April 2, 3 and 4) are on BTN Plus

However, 3 games have been moved to BTN (see tweet at end of this post).

There is also an April 9 and April 23 time change.

Just a reminder that there will be TIME and TV changes.

3 of our next 4 games are on BTN TV.

BTN TV: Fri Apr 23 vs Maryland; 7:05 pm
BTN PLUS: Sat Apr 24 vs Maryland; 1:05 pm
BTN TV: Sun Apr 25 vs N'western; 4:05 pm
BTN TV: Mon Apr 26 vs N'western; 3:05 pm

Last edited:
Feb 17 UPDATE:

NOTE: Due to the Big Ten-only schedule and no Big Ten Tournament in 2021, the regular season champion will earn the league’s automatic bid into the NCAA Tournament.

A normal schedule would be 56 games.

February 19-21: Opening weekend for Division I baseball.

Iowa opens TWO WEEKS LATER, March 5-7, vs Michigan. They join Nebraska and Purdue in Round Rock, TX

May 31
: Selection Monday. The NCAA Tournament field of 64 is announced.

June 4 (Friday): The 2021 NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament will begin

June 19-30, 2021: 2021 College World Series, TD Ameritrade Park | Omaha, NE

July 11-13: The 2021 MLB Draft takes place.

Iowa's complete schedule will be found here: https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/baseball/schedule/

It will be interesting to see what happens if there is bad weather; will an impacted team still get all 44 games in?

Reminder: NO Conference Tournament. B1G opponents only. 44 total games. 13 weekends of play. NO mid-week games. NO Fans. Hopefully every game will be streamed.

....................................................................................

Feb 12, 2021 UPDATE:

Rick Heller said in a podcast on Feb 12 that:

* The full schedule should be out early this coming week.

* Opening Weekend is March 5-7
-------5 B1G teams will be playing at US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis
-------4 B1G teams, including IOWA, will be in Texas (see tweet that follows)
-------Another site will have 4 B1G teams

* Week 2 is March 12-14
-------Indiana & Maryland may host games
-------Sites listed above likely hosting this week as well

* Week 3 is March 19-21
-------Normal hosting schedules begin in week 3, so Iowa could host games in Iowa City

* B1G opponents only

* 44 total games
(Rick was hoping for 13 wks x 4 games = 52 games; that didn't work out)

* 13 weekends of play (8 wks x 3 games + 5 wks x 4 games = 44 games)

* NO mid-week games (Rick said they will do intersquad games instead, trying to simulate a real game to give younger guys experience)

* NO Conference Tournament

* NO Fans

* He is going to try to have EVERY game streamed so we can watch

Info regarding the March 5 -7 site in Texas:

....................................................................................

Jan 15, 2021 UPDATE:

Check this out:

NOV 13 ORIGINAL POST:

This sucks. Better than nothing, I guess.

It still pisses me off to see teams like the following play WAY more games than B1G teams.

B1G teams played a maximum of 44, of course.

The following teams played 50 or more games PRIOR TO entering the NCAA Tournament:

60: McNeese
58: Grand Canyon
58: North Dakota State
58: Charlotte
58: Louisiana Tech
57: Samford
57: UC Santa Barbara
56: UC Irvine
56: East Carolina
56: Central Michigan
56: Old Dominion
56: Southern Miss