ADVERTISEMENT

We have been down this "states rights" path before, and it ended badly.

6kqxuq.jpg
They have no control over their reproduction? Nothing they can do?

SCOTUS declared them unconstitutional in 1954. It was against the 14th amendment. This means states didn’t have the rights to segregate or “seperate but equal.”
And it was not until The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act Of 1965 that real changes in the law began to appear and Jim Crowe laws were put to an end. In 1970 there were still “White only” restrooms and drink fountains in Birmingham Alabama. Don’t try and bullshit a bullshitter Hawknado...I saw it...I lived through it...and I remember it. You are such a racist piece of shit...a tool...shame on you!

That is just what you choose to see. Was RBG motivated by Christianity when she said roe was bad law and would likely be overturned?

The fact is the democrats we're too busy using the issue to rile their base for the last fifty years to codify it. Shame on them if anyone. They wanted the controversy and they are absolutely loving this right now because they get to use it as a wedge issue

Democrats could have a federal abortion law put together by this time next week. It might fail but they could absolutely push it to a vote or force the Republicans to filibuster it. They won't though because like the last 50 years they like what is happening. They love what is happening. It will be a cash cow and a issue to run against for the midterms. They might even be able to push it to the next presidential election and likely will try. They love that they can now push this narrative in all states and use it as a fundraiser and voting wedge in the state elections as well.

Truth is neither side wants this solved reasonably because it has been and will continue to be a fundraiser and a voting wedge for both parties.

The people should rally around this and come to a reasonable abortion standard. I think Europe actually has this one figured out. The sad part about roe is we likely would already have a reasonable abortion standard similar to Europe's if it were not for the supreme court.
Tfx.....Justice Ginsberg was Jewish so I bet it is safe to assume the answer to your inquiry is “No!”

Reactions: RileyHawk
Tfx.....Justice Ginsberg was Jewish so I bet it is safe to assume the answer to your inquiry is “No!”
Of course it is no.

It is interesting though seeing how her beliefs on the law surrounding Roe are exactly why it was overturned and yet we have the modern day lynching of Clarence Thomas going on yet again.

We clearly aren’t communicating. I’m asking you the question that if you think the issue of marriage is left to the states, then you are okay with a state banning marriage, right?

In other words, if Iowa for example banned marriage, you wouldn’t say the federal courts can step in if that happened because they have no power over the issue (per your interpretation of the 10th Amendment)?
I don't think you are making a very good point in relation to this topic. Gay marriage for example was determined by the states and made legal by states. Once the door opened by the states, Iowa being one of the first, the rest followed and gay marriage became the law of the land. It is exactly how abortion would have developed in this country without roe.

States can ban marriage but God help the politician that tries. It is such a non starter that the politician that said it likely would need to resign. There could be a push to try and ban gay marriage again but in my opinion that ship has sailed. Republicans don't even want to ban gay marriage unless they are religious zealots.

Abortion will be available in most states and likely all states. It will eventually be the law of the land again. Right now zero states have banned abortion.

I don't think you are making a very good point in relation to this topic. Gay marriage for example was determined by the states and made legal by states. Once the door opened by the states, Iowa being one of the first, the rest followed and gay marriage became the law of the land. It is exactly how abortion would have developed in this country without roe.

States can ban marriage but God help the politician that tries. It is such a non starter that the politician that said it likely would need to resign. There could be a push to try and ban gay marriage again but in my opinion that ship has sailed. Republicans don't even want to ban gay marriage unless they are religious zealots.

Abortion will be available in most states and likely all states. It will eventually be the law of the land again. Right now zero states have banned abortion.
Abortion is banned in Missouri with no exceptions for rape or incest. Its only exceptions are for medical emergencies that threaten the life of the pregnant person or “create a serious risk of substantial and irreversible physical impairment of a major bodily function of the pregnant woman.

But you would support a state that decided that gay marriage was no longer legal and fought to have it overturned as you have with the right for a woman to choose to have an abortion. You are exactly what the far right zealots are counting on.

Thank you for the reply.

Three points:

States were required to allow gay marriage only after the Court issued its Obergefell opinion. Before that, the states could and many states did ban gay marriage.

The marriage question I kept asking shows the fallacy of believing that if a word isn’t in the Constitution, the right doesn’t exist. Marriage isn’t in the Constitution, but the Court would still strike down any state law prohibiting it. Marriage was of course a long standing tradition and the Court would have no problem striking down any state law that tried to eliminate it — which shows that the 10th Amendment argument is simply wrong.

Finally, some states will or have have banned essentially all abortions.

10A

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.​

Suppose a state decides to ban all abortions but in a referendum the people of that state vote to allow abortions.

Who wins?

Depends on the political system of that state. Some states allow law-making via referendum other states don't.

However if your state does allow law making via referendum I don't think the politicians can simply overturn that law without another referendum.

Depends on the political system of that state. Some states allow law-making via referendum other states don't.

However if your state does allow law making via referendum I don't think the politicians can simply overturn that law without another referendum.
I wasn't talking about a formal referendum. Just wanted a measure of popular will that was more "official" than a poll. So we could say that the people and the state were clearly opposed. Then the "or to the people" part of 10A becomes problematic for the anti-democratic folks.

We all know that the phrase "states rights" is simply a cover for men & women of ill intent. It is a code to hide behind when they want to do bad things to others in the name of righteousness . This is a case where I fear the slippery slope of denial will not stop with abortion. There is a fine line between beaurocracy and theocracy and I fear our national toe is on that line.
Sorry, but having 50 individual arguments going on about how people want to handle a situation is much better than 5 people deciding it for everybody.

We all know that the phrase "states rights" is simply a cover for men & women of ill intent. It is a code to hide behind when they want to do bad things to others in the name of righteousness . This is a case where I fear the slippery slope of denial will not stop with abortion. There is a fine line between beaurocracy and theocracy and I fear our national toe is on that line.
bad things like....killing someone?

True, but the court does not restrict states from protecting abortion rights. It seems to me that the issue has been given back to the states.
Shouldn’t a woman in Mississippi have the same rights to her body/privacy as a woman in New York or Nevada? Is “the state” going to arrange travel/expenses for their female resident who seeks an abortion but because the state she resides in prohibits it, must go elsewhere?
The state is denying their resident her right to appropriate healthcare. How will the state compensate the woman?

Okay, forget marriage, as you seem to be getting hung up on this. Let’s go with weekend bike rides in the country if you’re over 50 and have hazel eyes. Nebraska just passes a law making this a crime. I’ve read the Constitution and all the amendments three times now and nowhere do I explicitly find “bicycle rides” or “weekends,” let alone eye colors. So 10th Amendment, right? I’m screwed unless I can get the Unicameral to somehow change their mind and let me ride my bike? SCOTUS says SOL?
And it was not until The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act Of 1965 that real changes in the law began to appear and Jim Crowe laws were put to an end. In 1970 there were still “White only” restrooms and drink fountains in Birmingham Alabama. Don’t try and bullshit a bullshitter Hawknado...I saw it...I lived through it...and I remember it. You are such a racist piece of shit...a tool...shame on you!
So you are a bullshitter. Stating a historical fact is… racist? Please show me those mental gymnastics. All the things you speak of were rendered unconstitutional as they should have been

So you are a bullshitter. Stating a historical fact is… racist? Please show me those mental gymnastics. All the things you speak of were rendered unconstitutional as they should have been
So was the abortion prohibition and we see how that has been turned around.

Our country is going backward rapidly.

The unborn should have a right to life. I’m thankful your mother didn’t abort you, I am happy you get to experience life and all the great things in this world.

There are plenty of places you can kill a child up until birth. Sorry it isn’t convenient for everyone anymore. Planned parenthood will be just fine in abortion states, they’ve stated only 3% of their revenue is from abortions.

I am pro choice. Contraception, abstinence, adoption, mother/fatherhood. I don’t agree with the 5th option of abortion and luckily your mother didn’t either.

And in the past few years, their “constitutionality” has been taken back to the Federal Court’s and been over turned. Particularly parts of the 1965 Voting Rights Bill.

And in the past few years, their “constitutionality” has been taken back to the Federal Court’s and been over turned. Particularly parts of the 1965 Voting Rights Bill.
I’m just going to make a wild guess and say it was unconstitutional whatever was removed. That is the entire purpose of the Supreme Court.

Extra Extra, read all about it:

I’m just going to make a wild guess and say it was unconstitutional whatever was removed. That is the entire purpose of the Supreme Court.

Extra Extra, read all about it:
Even though previous Court’s said nothing and even refused to hear arguments. THIS Court will go places no man has ever tried before...to fulfill their agenda and move the USA back into the 1950’s.

Even though previous Court’s said nothing and even refused to hear arguments. THIS Court will go places no man has ever tried before...to fulfill their agenda and move the USA back into the 1950’s.
See, this is because you have become used to judicial activism where they think they are legislators. Plenty of cases where courts said nothing and then overturned years later. I’m also sure quite a few of them you would wholeheartedly agree with.

See, this is because you have become used to judicial activism where they think they are legislators. Plenty of cases where courts said nothing and then overturned years later. I’m also sure quite a few of them you would wholeheartedly agree with.
Judicial activism is a term that defies definition...it is a made up concept of the right wing and evangelical crowd.

Judicial activism is a term that defies definition...it is a made up concept of the right wing and evangelical crowd.
That is the term given when anything other than the constitution is used. All you have to do is read the dissenting opinions to see what I am talking about. It’s pages upon pages of nothing but “this is why we should have it.” Nothing in the dissent actually uses the constitution in making their argument. That is judicial activism.

The unborn should have a right to life. I’m thankful your mother didn’t abort you, I am happy you get to experience life and all the great things in this world.

There are plenty of places you can kill a child up until birth. Sorry it isn’t convenient for everyone anymore. Planned parenthood will be just fine in abortion states, they’ve stated only 3% of their revenue is from abortions.

I am pro choice. Contraception, abstinence, adoption, mother/fatherhood. I don’t agree with the 5th option of abortion and luckily your mother didn’t either.
That's a really stupid argument because my mom and dad wanted me and had the means to take care of me. That's not true for everyone. There is much debate over when human life begins - why is it the Christian philosophy is the only one we can have?

I'll be waiting for the efforts to make contraception illegal and your ignorance of that as well.

That is the term given when anything other than the constitution is used. All you have to do is read the dissenting opinions to see what I am talking about. It’s pages upon pages of nothing but “this is why we should have it.” Nothing in the dissent actually uses the constitution in making their argument. That is judicial activism.
Again - dumb. The end of Segregation, marriage equality, the right to contraception, the right of women to own property and have their own bank accounts and take out a mortgage without a husband co-signing were all decided by court decisions and were not in the Constitution.

Are you suggesting all of those decisions, and countless more, should be overturned?

According to you...

That's a really stupid argument because my mom and dad wanted me and had the means to take care of me. That's not true for everyone. There is much debate over when human life begins - why is it the Christian philosophy is the only one we can have?

I'll be waiting for the efforts to make contraception illegal and your ignorance of that as well.
Science clearly states life begins at conception, why not go with that? That’s why I had to wear a mask and get a vaccine, the science.

So it seems your parents had a sense of responsibility before they had hot and steamy sex to conceive you, that’s good. We need more of that.

You’ll be disappointed when condoms don’t leave the shelves.

• Haha
Science clearly states life begins at conception, why not go with that? That’s why I had to wear a mask and get a vaccine, the science.

So it seems your parents had a sense of responsibility before they had hot and steamy sex to conceive you, that’s good. We need more of that.

You’ll be disappointed when condoms don’t leave the shelves.
No. Just. No. Stop making shit up.

And you'll be justifying the decision when they do.

Again - dumb. The end of Segregation, marriage equality, the right to contraception, the right of women to own property and have their own bank accounts and take out a mortgage without a husband co-signing were all decided by court decisions and were not in the Constitution.

Are you suggesting all of those decisions, and countless more, should be overturned?

Equal protection of the law. Otherwise state laws. I don’t know why this is difficult. The question isn’t “should” it is “could.” You should read a book on civics if you don’t understand how this all works. Local/state/federal, legislature, executive, judicial, they all have their ways of working and have limits on what they can do. I’m not answering anymore of your civics questions.

Equal protection of the law. Otherwise state laws. I don’t know why this is difficult. The question isn’t “should” it is “could.” You should read a book on civics if you don’t understand how this all works. Local/state/federal, legislature, executive, judicial, they all have their ways of working and have limits on what they can do. I’m not answering anymore of your civics questions.
Because you're incapable. The gibberish you just typed makes no sense in the context of the question asked - many significant decisions have been made that have no direct basis in the Constitution. Are you suggesting these should all be overturned?

Of course you're not. But that's why your argument holds absolutely no water.

No. Just. No. Stop making shit up.

And you'll be justifying the decision when they do.
Your parents didn’t have hot and steamy sex? I didn’t mean to make it up.

I guess I’ll answer one more civics question. If they were to do anything about contraception at the SCOTUS level that means it would go to theeeeeeee State!

Here is some life science for ya:

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT