ADVERTISEMENT

"We have the makeup of a team that can contend in this league and contend on a national level."

Which recruits have you been unhappy with?

I wasn’t trying to be a dick; just having a little fun. I’m disappointed we didn’t get Carton. I think we also miss on Foster. They’re just an average team and I’m over Fran but I’m not saying you should be too. Sorry, guard play has been a problem and Connor is part of it. I don’t think that Toussaint, Evelyn, or Ulis are going to be game changers because they’re mid-major guys. There is nothing wrong with that but Iowa is in the Big Ten and Fran gets paid a lot of money. It’s all about the Jimmys and Joes, not the X’s and O’s.

Last edited:
“Maybe the best we have seen” ? Lol Really?

What, exactly are you basing this on? Have you seen him play against Big Ten competition? Where? When?

Or is this just hopeful, idle speculation? Which is fine as long as you say so rather than declaring it like some kind of seasoned expert.
Gosh, I'm sorry. You see, this is a place where we come to express our opinions and perspectives. I really am sorry that you were confused.

Gosh, I'm sorry. You see, this is a place where we come to express our opinions and perspectives. I really am sorry that you were confused.

So... you’ve got nothing. It was indeed just hope expressed as a confident declaration of fact.

Thanks for confirming.

I’m sorry your opinion was challenged and you had nothing to back it up. Sometimes that happens in grown up world.

Yet in another thread you told someone they should leave because you didn't like their opinion.

"I cordially invite you to leave this site and find another team that would be more to your liking. We will not miss you when you go so don't worry about that. Good bye."

I don’t think that Toussaint, Evelyn, or Ulis are going to be game changers because they’re mid-major guys.

Skepticism makes for good posts.

Fran’s Average Team Recruiting Rankings In Ten Seasons At Iowa:

National: 60
Big Ten: 11

To me, the bottom line is that you either believe the offer lists for these guys or you believe that Fran and staff have better evaluation and/or development skills than the high D1 coaches who passed on them.

I don’t claim to know which is true (although the numbers suggest that his teams typically outperform their recruiting ranking) but I do know that if your guards are not at least above average in the B1G, you can forget about competing for titles (and I hope that is still the goal).

Time, as they say, will tell.

Last edited:
So... you’ve got nothing. It was indeed just hope expressed as a confident declaration of fact.

Thanks for confirming.

I’m sorry your opinion was challenged and you had nothing to back it up. Sometimes that happens in grown up world.
No, it was my opinion based on what I have seen, and what I have heard from others who have seen.....which isn't nothing. You are right though I should have labeled it as "opinion" so that people such as yourself would not be confused. I will try to do better.

5 game stretch of Syracuse, Michigan, Minnesota, ISU and Cincy could shape the season. Could easily go 0-5 playing decent basketball against those teams. I would be happy with 2-3 or 3-2 (best case).

No, it was my opinion based on what I have seen, and what I have heard from others who have seen.....which isn't nothing. You are right though I should have labeled it as "opinion" so that people such as yourself would not be confused. I will try to do better.

Oh. Excellent! So what, specifically, have you seen that supports your opinion that Patrick McCaffery “may be the best we’ve seen” at the top of the press?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Oh. Excellent! So what, specifically, have you seen that supports your opinion that Patrick McCaffery “may be the best we’ve seen” at the top of the press?

Thanks.
Physically, he is very quick with great length and long arms, so he can bother the passer/dribbler. Additionally, since he has been scrimmaging with the hawkeyes since he was little, his understanding of the press, and where he and everyone else should be is really good. Even though he is tall, he gets down in a stance and can really move his feet.
Maybe "best we have ever seen" is a bit hyperbolic but nevertheless I believe he will be really good.

Physically, he is very quick with great length and long arms, so he can bother the passer/dribbler. Additionally, since he has been scrimmaging with the hawkeyes since he was little, his understanding of the press, and where he and everyone else should be is really good. Even though he is tall, he gets down in a stance and can really move his feet.
Maybe "best we have ever seen" is a bit hyperbolic but nevertheless I believe he will be really good.
Fair enough. I've seen him run the court in AAU games. Not bad.

Lateral movement? Not nearly as impressive.

I've never seen him matched against Big Ten Level talent. Accordingly, I'm not sure what to expect.

If he has been scrimmaging and practicing with the team before he was a student-athlete that would be an NCAA violation.

Coach Fran is wearing Rose-Colored glasses. We
have only 4 tough non-Conference games. Hawks
are underdogs in all of them. If they win all 4 of them,
then we might have some optimism.

Coach Fran is wearing Rose-Colored glasses. We
have only 4 tough non-Conference games. Hawks
are underdogs in all of them. If they win all 4 of them,
then we might have some optimism.
If Iowa wins in Las Vegas, it'll be 5 tough non-conference foes. And two tough B1G games before Iowa plays IA State. Not an easy schedule before Christmas this year. This team will need to gel quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT