ADVERTISEMENT

We lost an amazing ex-Hawkeye last night

Khawk4

HR Legend
Jul 20, 2007
I posted this in the Lounge, but I figured it belonged here, too....

Don Shipanik (no. 68), my wife's grand father, passed away last night. Don was two way starter on Evy's 1958 National Championship/Rose Bowl winning team. He grew up on the south side of Chicago, had a dad that was a cop, and this dude was tough as nails. I think he only played at like 6'1, 170, but he played both OG and DT. He always joked that he always thought he was going to get killed because, on average, the guy across the line from him weighed an extra 50 or more pounds, but his quickness was his best asset. When he was sound of mind, we used to pour a couple drinks, and Id sit and listen to him tell old hawk stories forever. He told me one where when he was at Iowa, his dad passed away, and he quit the team and went back to Chicago to help his family. Apparently Evy drove out there and said "Get your ass into the car, your coming back to Iowa City". When telling that story, he started laughing and said "Evy was a really, really hard guy to say no to". He also said he was a pretty heavily recruited player out of Chicago, and he said it came down to Iowa and MSU. I asked him why he eventually picked Iowa, and he simply said "Because they paid me more". He also had a bunch of neat stories on just how good guys like Duncan, Jeter, Metz, etc. were. When his health started deteriorating, he would forget little things about what was going on and what not, but the second you brought up any Iowa sport, he would liven up and start telling old stories again, and talk about latest football and/or basketball game. He was really something.
Seeing as though my in-laws know how much I love Iowa football, they gave given me some really cool memorabilia over the years, including the official travel itinerary for the team when they were in Pasadena. No joke, their ENTIRE day was scheduled down to the minute, including how long it would take the team to board the bus, how long it would take them to get their equipment off the bus, the walk from the bus to the stadium, and so forth. I also have some really neat pictures, so if someone a little more computer savvy than I can clue me in on how to post pics from my phone on to here, I would be more than happy to.

Here are the pics:

16649019_10154891474871153_626736355201957592_n.jpg

16508595_10154891478421153_7428475016863481989_n.jpg

16602884_10154891479091153_6324048680513979268_n.jpg

16508816_10154891479141153_188840572354459910_n.jpg

16711653_10154891479316153_6615907692475903080_n.jpg

16681520_10154891482811153_5792150355167744165_n.jpg

16649455_10154891482846153_174122819679045172_n.jpg

16508901_10154891482896153_7748847052831019070_n.jpg

Don Shipanik (no. 68), my wife's grand father, passed away last night. Don was two way starter on Evy's 1958 National Championship/Rose Bowl winning team. He grew up on the south side of Chicago, had a dad that was a cop, and this dude was tough as nails. I think he only played at like 6'1, 170, but he played both OG and DT. He always joked that he always thought he was going to get killed because, on average, the guy across the line from him weighed an extra 50 or more pounds, but his quickness was his best asset. When he was sound of mind, we used to pour a couple drinks, and Id sit and listen to him tell old hawk stories forever. He told me one where when he was at Iowa, his dad passed away, and he quit the team and went back to Chicago to help his family. Apparently Evy drove out there and said "Get your ass into the car, your coming back to Iowa City". When telling that story, he started laughing and said "Evy was a really, really hard guy to say no to". He also said he was a pretty heavily recruited player out of Chicago, and he said it came down to Iowa and MSU. I asked him why he eventually picked Iowa, and he simply said "Because they paid me more". He also had a bunch of neat stories on just how good guys like Duncan, Jeter, Metz, etc. were. When his health started deteriorating, he would forget little things about what was going on and what not, but the second you brought up any Iowa sport, he would liven up and start telling old stories again, and talk about latest football and/or basketball game. He was really something.
Seeing as though my in-laws know how much I love Iowa football, they gave given me some really cool memorabilia over the years, including the official travel itinerary for the team when they were in Pasadena. No joke, their ENTIRE day was scheduled down to the minute, including how long it would take the team to board the bus, how long it would take them to get their equipment off the bus, the walk from the bus to the stadium, and so forth. I also have some really neat pictures, so if someone a little more computer savvy than I can clue me in on how to post pics from my phone on to here, I would be more than happy to.

Sorry for your loss, sounds like he was a great Hawk! I would love to see some pictures of some of the memorabilia he gave you. Thanks for sharing his story!

Reactions: cap_tain8

Sorry for your loss, sounds like he was a great Hawk! I would love to see some pictures of some of the memorabilia he gave you. Thanks for sharing his story!

A lot of it is like press clippings, the itinerary I mentioned above, a lettermans blanket, old trinkets, etc. however, on Tuesday, my MIL was trying to give me his helmet. I had to refuse. Apparently he was telling her that my wife and I get all of the "cool stuff" because we are true hawks (both graduated from Iowa) and he could tell much I loved all of it. Still though... that helmet is an heirloom. If I end up with it one day, then fine, but I married in. Id feel really guilty if I took it and someone else wanted it.

A lot of it is like press clippings, the itinerary I mentioned above, a lettermans blanket, old trinkets, etc. however, on Tuesday, my MIL was trying to give me his helmet. I had to refuse. Apparently he was telling her that my wife and I get all of the "cool stuff" because we are true hawks (both graduated from Iowa) and he could tell much I loved all of it. Still though... that helmet is an heirloom. If I end up with it one day, then fine, but I married in. Id feel really guilty if I took it and someone else wanted it.

Just a suggestion, but perhaps the family would consider loaning the helmet and some of the great stuff to Iowa for display in the Iowa Hall of Fame or at the new football practice building? That would look amazing at either site.

Reactions: Khawk4
When we lived in Cedar Falls, had lunch and dinner at Don's place, The Hudson House in Hudson Iowa just south of Waterloo. Great guy and a true character and true Hawk! I think I recognize some of those pics, they adorned the walls at the Hudson House. Was his wife's name Marylyn? Great lady.

When we lived in Cedar Falls, had lunch and dinner at Don's place, The Hudson House in Hudson Iowa just south of Waterloo. Great guy and a true character and true Hawk! I think I recognize some of those pics, they adorned the walls at the Hudson House. Was his wife's name Marylyn? Great lady.

Yep! Youd be right. They had a ton of that stuff up in there. I hadnt met my wife when that place burned down. Unfortunately, they lost a lot of things in that fire. Really, really sad

Cool story.

As for Evy, my grandfather always said that had Evashevski stayed at Iowa, then Iowa might be where Nebraska is historically and that the Devaney years may never have happened.

Condolences. Sounds like a great guy.

Thanks for sharing OP. This is really neat stuff. My father (age 89) loved those Hawk teams, and Evy, like no other team in history.

Mrs. Shipanik ran a pre-school from their home in Waterloo, which I attended in 1966-67. The Shipanik's were friends of my parents and I remember a Shipanik daughter named Liz. My condolences to the family.

Mrs. Shipanik ran a pre-school from their home in Waterloo, which I attended in 1966-67. The Shipanik's were friends of my parents and I remember a Shipanik daughter named Liz. My condolences to the family.

Yup, that would be my mother in law.

Thank you all so much. Its neat seeing how many people knew them, or were a fan of his. As I mentioned earlier, I will be sending all these well wishes to the family.

This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing this. Sorry for your loss.

As others have said. Once a hawk.....

In heaven there is no beer ...but I heard the Archangel has his own micro. RIP. to who was obviously more than a relative...a friend.

Sorry to learn of Don's death. Always enjoyed visiting with him at the Hudson House and looking at his football memorabilia. With a smile on his face, we would always remind me of that 1958 season when the Hawks went up to Camp Randall and handed Bucky his only loss of the year. My condolences.

Darn, I actually met him once there in Hudson. We talked Hawkeye football and it was an honor to meet him. RIP

ADVERTISEMENT