ADVERTISEMENT

We might be getting some Bison Bridge news this week!

Lol...Its an asinine idea. At best. When I first heard it, I thought it was a joke.

Like I said, Iowa needs a real national park.
I find this attitude so perplexing.

You, some schmo with a keyboard and an internet connection, KNOWS that this project -- that a well-respected and accomplished non-profit CEO has spent months researching, planning and garnering support for -- is a joke.

Despite the fact members of both the Iowa and Illinois congressional delegations from both sides of the political spectrum support it, as do nearly all local elected officials and the two state DOTs are working with the organization to study its possible implementation, YOU, JRHawk2003 are the definitive source on whether it's a good, workable idea or not.

Truly astounding hubris. If actually more a demonstration of your stupidity.

I find this attitude so perplexing.

You, some schmo with a keyboard and an internet connection, KNOWS that this project -- that a well-respected and accomplished non-profit CEO has spent months researching, planning and garnering support for -- is a joke.

Despite the fact members of both the Iowa and Illinois congressional delegations from both sides of the political spectrum support it, as do nearly all local elected officials and the two state DOTs are working with the organization to study its possible implementation, YOU, JRHawk2003 are the definitive source on whether it's a good, workable idea or not.

Truly astounding hubris. If actually more a demonstration of your stupidity.

Hubris is building a bridge for animals that have been extinct here for 150 years.

Wrong.

That is innovative thinking. Being creative in finding a way to restore habitat and support endangered species.

You are a negative nancy naysayer. An armchair quarterback. A critic, not a doer.

I prefer the tangible things with real benefits for people in their day to day lives. I guarantee you I have worked on far more of that. As opposed to what? writing? lol.

ALERT TOP STORY

Bison Bridge

'Let's give them something to brag about:' Landscape design students, young professionals propose Bison Bridge plans​

6348bfebd2adc.image.jpg

Before Jake Coryell began his group's presentation on their vision for the Bison Bridge project, he threw out some statistics gathered from Visit Quad Cities. He said 83% of Quad-Cities residents are proud to call themselves so, but just under 50% actually brag about being from the area.
With the plans to connect people, wildlife and nature through the I-80 bridge he and other young design professionals and students developed in just one day, he said the Bison Bridge could shoot those numbers up.
"Let's give them something to brag about," Coryell said.

Landscape Forms and the Landscape Architecture Foundation brought landscape architecture students from Iowa State University and the University of Illinois and young professionals together for Extreme LA Bison Bridge, a two-day program in which two teams developed a visitor experience for the Bison Bridge project — a proposed plan to turn the I-80 bridge and areas on both sides of the river into an ecological destination and tourism site. The teams presented their plans Thursday morning at the Figge Art Museum.

Each team took information from surveys, maps, regulations and expert discussions to curate just how the Bison Bridge project could best serve as a national park, attract visitors and enhance and connect communities.

They created plans that would showcase the different biomes on both sides of the river and connect them on the bridge through a network of pathways allowing the public to safely view wildlife and experience the river.

6348bfdde2a82.image.jpg

Lance McOlgan, co-host of the program and principal and Lamar Johnson Collaborative, said he reached out to Chad Pregracke, the driving force behind the proposed project, about Extreme LA because of the project's uniqueness and potential benefits to the Quad-Cities region.

"It's about people, and reconnecting with them across the river and connecting them back to nature," McOlgan said. "I think at the end of the day, the majority of the community is going to see this as a big amenity and an asset that doesn't exist today. And it'll be a great attraction for people in different cities."

Each team had to take into account sustainability and the differences in Iowa and Illinois' riverfronts in their planning, along with logistics like parking and navigation of the park and river. Around 42,000 cars cross the I-80 Bridge every day, McOlgan said, so the ideas they came up with needed to account for a huge amount of visitors.

Studio One, the first team to present, used the bridge's multiple levels — from water level to land to bridge and above — to utilize every aspect of the environment. Visitors would be able to kayak on the water, walk trails on the riverfront, and watch the wildlife from elevated paths while the bison habitat would take up the whole main bridge.

6348bff772d62.image.jpg

Studio Four added campground areas to their designs, one in Iowa and one in Illinois nearby the proposed visitor centers. They expanded park areas to host overlooks and create a lagoon in the Illinois 500-year floodplain, and made sure the whole project site would be connected in some way to keep habitats from being broken up.

One of the challenges students had to account for was how people and bison and other wildlife could coexist in the site as safely as possible. While both teams proposed elevated walkways for pedestrians to look down on the bison habitat, one idea named "Jurassic World" from Studio Four would implement a suspended cable car system for people to ride on over the bridge.

6348bff55c167.image.jpg

Pregracke said he was honored that the teams worked so hard on their projects, and that the audience seemed enthusiastic about some of their ideas. Some of their concepts, like building parking garages underneath grazing areas, would have never occurred to him, and though many of the pitched aspects of the site would be difficult or expensive to implement and maintain, they added fuel to the project's fire.

"As we hope that this project moves forward, and hope is a big word there, I think there'll be definitely elements of this that will certainly be put into play," Pregracke said.

Coryell has spent much of his life around the Mississippi River, visiting family that lives in the area, so the Bison Bridge design was something he felt he had a permanent stake in.

"It was awesome to see other creative talent and how well students produced ideas, as well as how we all kind of came together as a team," Coryell said. "I just really enjoyed the collaborative process."

• Haha
Reactions: Bro D
This is true. But I think you have a conflict of interest since your mom works there and you were conceived behind the dumpster in the gravel parking lot behind it.

Mom is rotting away with late stage dementia, but the place does offer flashlights for close up inspections.

I want to propose the “Sea Span” the worlds longest and largest salt water aquarium, and only one that is actually OVER a body of water. You can enter from either side and actually walk through a tunnel featuring an up close and personal look at some of the oceans most wondrous creatures.

You might say that Iowa doesn’t have salt water oceans….however Iowa doesn’t natively have bison either….and in fact at one point….Iowa was an ocean….(go look at the fossils in Coralville).

We could even add a “swim with the sharks” attraction on the Iowa side….

Much better use of the old bridge than some multi million dollar weed patch for a handful of Bison…

the part I don't get is that even if they built a new I80 bridge wouldn't it have to be right next to the current location? Just like the I74 bridge?

so it would have to tie into the same existing I80 roadway, but why isn't that shown in plans?

f0696272-ea88-415f-af10-6502543d162c_1920x1080.jpg

I want to propose the “Sea Span” the worlds longest and largest salt water aquarium, and only one that is actually OVER a body of water. You can enter from either side and actually walk through a tunnel featuring an up close and personal look at some of the oceans most wondrous creatures.

You might say that Iowa doesn’t have salt water oceans….however Iowa doesn’t natively have bison either….and in fact at one point….Iowa was an ocean….(go look at the fossils in Coralville).

We could even add a “swim with the sharks” attraction on the Iowa side….

Much better use of the old bridge than some multi million dollar weed patch for a handful of Bison…
Bison 100% are native to Iowa.

Bison 100% are native to Iowa.

“Though there are no wild bison in Iowa today”….so they’re as relevant as the sea creatures that used to roam the Iowan ocean?

“Though there are no wild bison in Iowa today”….so they’re as relevant as the sea creatures that used to roam the Iowan ocean?
Uh not quite.

The only reason they aren't prevalent in Iowa today is due to the wholesale slaughter of the entire plains herds in the 19th century and human-caused habitat destruction since.

Wrong.

That is innovative thinking. Being creative in finding a way to restore habitat and support endangered species.

You are a negative nancy naysayer. An armchair quarterback. A critic, not a doer.
Let's try to keep it real. They're building a zoo, not "restoring habitat". It's a tourist attraction on a run down old bridge. There will be little to no natural behavior from animals that are used to ranging hundreds of miles a year.

Let's try to keep it real. They're building a zoo, not "restoring habitat". It's a tourist attraction on a run down old bridge. There will be little to no natural behavior from animals that are used to ranging hundreds of miles a year.
That is false.

The bridge part is gimmicky, yes, but the part that is good for the bison is the natural prairie restoration planned on either side of the bridge in both states, totaling several hundred acres.

It would be fantastic to be able to have completely free-range bison in Iowa and Illinois again, but that is not in the cards due to agricultural use. But this is far better than a zoo or even a bison ranch in terms of creating a more natural habitat for these animals.

The Tribal Buffalo Program Manager of the National Wildlife Federation is in favor of the project:

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is false.

The bridge part is gimmicky, yes, but the part that is good for the bison is the natural prairie restoration planned on either side of the bridge in both states, totaling several hundred acres.

It would be fantastic to be able to have completely free-range bison in Iowa and Illinois again, but that is not in the cards due to agricultural use. But this is far better than a zoo or even a bison ranch in terms of creating a more natural habitat for these animals.

The Tribal Buffalo Program Manager of the National Wildlife Federation is in favor of the project:

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src=" " width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
lol a couple hundred acres! Wow so like...smaller than the average Safari Park. You know...a zoo.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Torb,

Do you know what the estimate is just to tear down the old bridge? Has to be in the millions right? I have not seen any of the numbers but this project makes some sense if they can use those dollars (which accomplish nothing) and go with this concept. Would they tie this in to the rest stop on the Illinois side? Pregracke is a good dude and perfect driver for this.

Torb,

Do you know what the estimate is just to tear down the old bridge? Has to be in the millions right? I have not seen any of the numbers but this project makes some sense if they can use those dollars (which accomplish nothing) and go with this concept. Would they tie this in to the rest stop on the Illinois side? Pregracke is a good dude and perfect driver for this.
The I-74 Bridge demolition contract was $23.3 million. So I'd guess in the $20 million range. Yes, would be a tremendous savings to taxpayers in both states.

Not sure why you are mocking something supported by Native Americans and the National Wildlife Federation.

Don't let perfection be the enemy of good.
I don't care if you build a zoo, just stop trying to sell it as something it's not.

• Haha
It's not a zoo.

Why are you insisting on being an asshole?
It is by definition a zoo. I have no idea why you're insisting it isn't. It's unconventional in form as you're repurposing an old bridge and have limited species on display, but other than that it's a zoo. A zoological park where wild animals live in captivity to be displayed for public view. It's not even a particularly large zoo.

the part I don't get is that even if they built a new I80 bridge wouldn't it have to be right next to the current location? Just like the I74 bridge?

so it would have to tie into the same existing I80 roadway, but why isn't that shown in plans?

f0696272-ea88-415f-af10-6502543d162c_1920x1080.jpg
It seems they have also deleted LeClaire in that rendering, which I'm ok with, I suppose.

Reactions: QChawks
It is by definition a zoo. I have no idea why you're insisting it isn't. It's unconventional in form as you're repurposing an old bridge and have limited species on display, but other than that it's a zoo. A zoological park where wild animals live in captivity to be displayed for public view. It's not even a particularly large zoo.
Agreed. It’s a bison only zoo.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
No. A zoo has zookeepers and facilities to care for animals on a proactive basis. They change their animals and habitats around. And many more differences.

No, it is not.

A zoo is designed specifically as an attraction for multiple animals to be on display for human's pleasure.

A habitat restoration project is designed as part of a national effort to create more habitat for the eventual recovery of these animals as part of the "wild" landscape in the Midwest. No, this doesn't "solve" the problem, but it is a legitimate start and one supported by many professionals in the business of habitat restoration, specifically that of bison.

Yes, it will be a tourist attraction, but that is to raise awareness and create more support for the broader initiative.

You don't know anything about Pregracke or his track record, so you are speaking from a place of ignorance. It's a shame, because you are usually better than that.

PRAIRIE PAST​

Tens of millions of American Bison roamed North America from Canada to Mexico for centuries. Bison are a “keystone species” - that is, a species that has an outsized impact on its ecosystem, and upon which many other species depend. Removing a keystone species from its natural habitat has a drastic effect on the environment. Yet, as we know, bison were nearly extinct by the 20th century. Many of the remaining bison were subject to cross-breeding with cows, in an attempt to domesticate the animals for food production. Today, there are an estimated 15,000 - 30,000 wild bison in the United States.

THE BISON BRIDGE​

Projects to recover and repopulate wild bison exist around the country, from Montana to Indiana. Restoring prairie land and repopulating wild bison go together, and efforts to grow native plant and animal populations are improved with the re-introduction of American bison. Integral to Native American culture, tribal leadership has been at the forefront of reintroducing American bison to the landscape. Efforts from The Nature Conservancy, in partnership with Native American tribes, have resulted in an increase in wild bison populations and prairie restoration.

Prairie Future

Our vision for the Bison Bridge includes introducing a small herd of wild bison. With approximately 100 acres of grazing land on either side of the river, and the westbound lane dedicated to bison crossing, the Bison Bridge project will provide a space for reclaimed prairie and the opportunity to grow the wild bison population. The bonus? Repurposing the eastbound lane for pedestrians provides the unique chance to see bison up close safely and to learn more about this incredible American animal.

Last edited:
No, it is not.

A zoo is designed specifically as an attraction for multiple animals to be on display for human's pleasure.

A habitat restoration project is designed as part of a national effort to create more habitat for the eventual recovery of these animals as part of the "wild" landscape in the Midwest. No, this doesn't "solve" the problem, but it is a legitimate start and one supported by many professionals in the business of habitat restoration, specifically that of bison.

Yes, it will be a tourist attraction, but that is to raise awareness and create more support for the broader initiative.

You don't know anything about Pregracke or his track record, so you are speaking from a place of ignorance. It's a shame, because you are usually better than that.
I have no idea why you have drunk the kool-aid on this so hard.
You think the primary purpose will be for the bison and habitat? Not people? On a chunk of land smaller than some rural estates? With walkways and sky trams?
Ok, whatever.

• Haha
I have no idea why you have drunk the kool-aid on this so hard.
You think the primary purpose will be for the bison and habitat? Not people? On a chunk of land smaller than some rural estates? With walkways and sky trams?
Ok, whatever.
I know the person who started the entire project and have talked to him about it one-on-one several times. I helped with his recent river cleanup picnic here in the quads too (learn about that here.)

So I can tell you definitively his primary intention is to restore habitat and become part of the network of sanctuaries and habitats that are being put up across the region to eventually assist in wild herd restoration. This is the exact same gameplan used successfully to re-introduce wild wolf packs to Wisconsin and Minnesota.

The secondary intention is to raise awareness and create more support for the overall project by creating a high-visibility tourist attraction as part of the sanctuary/restoration project, which will help increase funds for future land acquisitions to create even MORE natural habitat.

You, on the other hand, are armchair quarterbacking from a place of ignorance. It's obviously your right to do so, but I will happily explain --- based on my actual personal knowledge --- why you are wrong.

Last edited:
I know the person who started the entire project and have talked to him about it one-on-one several times. I helped with his recent river cleanup picnic here in the quads too (learn about that here.)

So I can tell you definitively his primary intention is to restore habitat and become part of the network of sanctuaries and habitats that are being put up across the region to eventually assist in wild herd restoration. This is the exact same gameplan used successfully to re-introduce wild wolves to Wisconsin and Minnesota.

The secondary intention is to raise awareness and create more support for the overall project by creating a high-visibility tourist attraction as part of the sanctuary/restoration project, which will help increase funds for future land acquisitions to create even MORE natural habitat.

You, on the other hand, are armchair quarterbacking from a place of ignorance. It's obviously your right to do so, but I will happily explain --- based on my actual personal knowledge --- why you are wrong.
Ah, thank you for explaining that you're too close to the project to have an unbiased view.

Ah, thank you for explaining that you're too close to the project to have an unbiased view.
When have I ever said I had an unbiased view?

But I also have an informed view while you do not.

I am speaking from a position of relative authority, having gleaned actual data and information and talking to a primary source. You are speaking from a position of complete ignorance having gleaned no data or information and talking to zero sources.

You are wrong. It's not a big deal. I'm just setting the record straight.

When have I ever said I had an unbiased view?

But I also have an informed view while you do not.

I am speaking from a position of relative authority, having gleaned actual data and information and talking to a primary source. You are speaking from a position of complete ignorance having gleaned no data or information and talking to zero sources.

You are wrong. It's not a big deal. I'm just setting the record straight.
Sure. It's habitat restoration. And it's going to be a national park one day. Whatever you say.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT