ADVERTISEMENT

We need some transfer portal beef for the DL next year boys!

We have a serous streak of keeping teams under 25 points. We will also start the season with one of the nations longest win streaks.

Depends on how the coaches feel about the younger talent. We have quality vets in Vanvalkenburg, Shannon, Evans and Waggoner. We have young studs in Black, Lee, Jones and Craig.

If Heflin returns then I don't see them taking a transfer. They may not even if Heflin is gone.

I may be in the minority but I think Iowa's DL should be fine now that VaValkenburg has announced his decision to return. I trust Coach Bell will field a pretty stout 6-7 man rotation in 2021.

Waggoner is ripe for a breakthrough. Matt Lorbeck was 1st Team MAAC DE at Northern Illinois - a possible VV type emerging player. Evans showed flashes as a pass rusher. Noah Shannon was part of the rotation this year. Logan Lee, Diante Craig, and Logan Jones were three highly prized recruits. Yaya Black, Isaiah Bruce, Lucas Van Ness, Taajhir McCall, and Jake Karchinski are underclassmen with promise (especially Bruce IMO).

We saw the same type of unease among fans when Iowa graduated multi-year DL starters Reiff and Lattimore in 2020. It will be a little bumpy but we'll be fine without a transfer. Nixon will be hard to replace for sure but the front 4 in 2021 should be solid.

Last edited:
We have a serous streak of keeping teams under 25 points. We will also start the season with one of the nations longest win streaks.

Iowa will definitely need to gain more then they'll lose through the portal at multiple positions.

I asked this in another thread and I don't think it was answered. Isn't it possible that Schulte will come back? That would help a lot.

Reactions: hawkosx
Look how we did with Nixon at tackle. He weighs over 300 lb. All our returners weigh between 270 and 293, I think. Why can't we recruit someone in the 300 - 320 range with good speed? Maybe they are far and few between, but seems to me we should be able to find 1 or 2 a year.

They will get to go against Breece Hall for a game, so we shall see right out of the gate how well we are gonna stop the run.

Look how we did with Nixon at tackle. He weighs over 300 lb. All our returners weigh between 270 and 293, I think. Why can't we recruit someone in the 300 - 320 range with good speed? Maybe they are far and few between, but seems to me we should be able to find 1 or 2 a year.
Short answer - if he's 300+ and has good feet, he's probably going over to the OL with KF at the helm.

Iowa is strong in the linebacker position while the dline has less experience. I can see the defense mixing things up this year running both 3-4 and 4-3. I’d prefer to see Jacob, Benson, Campbell, and Colbert, or another LB making plays with their athleticism.

I may be in the minority but I think Iowa's DL should be fine now that VaValkenburg has announced his decision to return. I trust Coach Bell will field a pretty stout 6-7 man rotation in 2021.

Waggoner is ripe for a breakthrough. Matt Lorbeck was 1st Team MAAC DE at Northern Illinois - a possible VV type emerging player. Evans showed flashes as a pass rusher. Noah Shannon was part of the rotation this year. Logan Lee, Diante Craig, and Logan Jones were three highly prized recruits. Yaya Black, Isaiah Bruce, Lucas Van Ness, Taajhir McCall, and Jake Karchinski are underclassmen with promise (especially Bruce IMO).

We saw the same type of unease among fans when Iowa graduated multi-year DL starters Reiff and Lattimore in 2020. It will be a little bumpy but we'll be fine without a transfer. Nixon will be hard to replace for sure but the front 4 in 2021 should be solid.

do you think Yayah moves inside? I feel like he could fit into that Matt Nelson/Carl Davis role. I think Waggoner has played some 3 technique and if they really like Lorbeck that might be his quickest way to the field. I really like Karchinski at the 1 and Bruce as a 3, two big athletic kids. It will be interesting to see if Craig or Jones pop, I thought they’d both get spot time as freshman but Yayah beat them out.

Last but not least is Hurkett the Lb turned DT that looks super strong. The group is the most talented group in years in my opinion but some younger guys might have to play which is suspect in a scheme that requires rigid discipline, and you to the lose the right way. I still think it’s going to pop. Too much talent. But some early growing pains can be expected. This year we had 4 upperclassmen who could compete strength wise but needed some improvement with fits, next year I expect the same early

Reactions: nu2u
do you think Yayah moves inside? I feel like he could fit into that Matt Nelson/Carl Davis role. I think Waggoner has played some 3 technique and if they really like Lorbeck that might be his quickest way to the field. I really like Karchinski at the 1 and Bruce as a 3, two big athletic kids. It will be interesting to see if Craig or Jones pop, I thought they’d both get spot time as freshman but Yayah beat them out.

Last but not least is Hurkett the Lb turned DT that looks super strong. The group is the most talented group in years in my opinion but some younger guys might have to play which is suspect in a scheme that requires rigid discipline, and you to the lose the right way. I still think it’s going to pop. Too much talent. But some early growing pains can be expected. This year we had 4 upperclassmen who could compete strength wise but needed some improvement with fits, next year I expect the same early
Yes I forgot to mention Hurkett - I don't know much about his progress, same for DE Chris Reames. I agree with the depth of talent on the DL (and more on the way with Liddle, Pittman, LLewelyn, and Bowie). inexperience will be the early hurdle. If Heflin returns, that should not be as much of a factor. As others have mentioned, it will certainly help to have an experienced LB crew returning next year.

With that level of depth, I really don't anticipate that Iowa will accept a transfer DL this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawk94Mn
Yes I forgot to mention Hurkett - I don't know much about his progress, same for DE Chris Reames. I agree with the depth of talent on the DL (and more on the way with Liddle, Pittman, LLewelyn, and Bowie). inexperience will be the early hurdle. If Heflin returns, that should not be as much of a factor. As others have mentioned, it will certainly help to have an experienced LB crew returning next year.

With that level of depth, I really don't anticipate that Iowa will accept a transfer DL this year.

LBs and safety play can solve a lot of problems. That’s why I’m so confident in this D. Seem to finally have an elite bunch

Reactions: kceasthawk and nu2u

No I don't think Black moves inside but I do think Waggoner can play the 3 tech. Yes I was also surprised that Black was the true freshman that played. I expected Craig like most of us.

I said from day one that Karchinski was destined to play dt just like I think Bowie is. Love the potential of Bruce but I believe he needs some work in the weight room.

Reactions: Simbahawk4
I don’t know. If he wants to win in the margins, sure. If he wants to win games, he should wear the tiger hawk on his helmet.
He would be a good fit for Iowa too. I was 100% wrong on that basketball hot take lol I will admit that. With Bankston transferring and the uncertainty of what SR's come back Iowa State may have a gapping hole at the DT spot. We will need some transfers help there for sure.

He would be a good fit for Iowa too. I was 100% wrong on that basketball hot take lol I will admit that. With Bankston transferring and the uncertainty of what SR's come back Iowa State may have a gapping hole at the DT spot. We will need some transfers help there for sure.
Is everyone on your D-line moving on? I’m sure Bailey will and I think so will Enyi. What about Josh Bailey? What else do you guys have?

Is everyone on your D-line moving on? I’m sure Bailey will and I think so will Enyi. What about Josh Bailey? What else do you guys have?
Last I heard JaQuan Bailey was on the fence and was leaning towards returning. If he does I think Josh will as well. Enyi will be asked to come back but my guess is he leaves. He has an NFL future. There is a bunch of young talent on the team but besides a few guys its unproven talent especially on the interior so a transfer DT or 2 would be great. Returning and incoming guys are.
(DT)
RS Jr- Alex Kleinow 6'7 317 Pounds
RS So- Isaiah Lee 6'0 300 Pounds
RS Fr- J.R. Singleton 6'2 290 Pounds
RS Jr- Tucker Robertson 6'3 300 Pounds
Fr- Howard Brown 6'2 300 Pounds
Fr- Tyler Onyedim 6'3 275 Pounds
(DE)
RS So- Will McDonald 6'5 230 Pounds
Jr- Zack Petersen 6'5 267 Pounds
RS Jr- Cordarrius Bailey 6'4 255 Pounds
RS Fr- Corey Suttle 6'4 245 Pounds
RS Fr- Blake Peterson 6'4 255 Pounds
Fr- Johnny Wilson 6'2 275 Pounds
Fr- Jayden Gray 6'3 235 Pounds
Fr- Joey Petersen 6'4 220 Pounds

Last I heard JaQuan Bailey was on the fence and was leaning towards returning. If he does I think Josh will as well. Enyi will be asked to come back but my guess is he leaves. He has an NFL future. There is a bunch of young talent on the team but besides a few guys its unproven talent especially on the interior so a transfer DT or 2 would be great. Returning and incoming guys are.
(DT)
RS Jr- Alex Kleinow 6'7 317 Pounds
RS So- Isaiah Lee 6'0 300 Pounds
RS Fr- J.R. Singleton 6'2 290 Pounds
RS Jr- Tucker Robertson 6'3 300 Pounds
Fr- Howard Brown 6'2 300 Pounds
Fr- Tyler Onyedim 6'3 275 Pounds
(DE)
RS So- Will McDonald 6'5 230 Pounds
Jr- Zack Petersen 6'5 267 Pounds
RS Jr- Cordarrius Bailey 6'4 255 Pounds
RS Fr- Corey Suttle 6'4 245 Pounds
RS Fr- Blake Peterson 6'4 255 Pounds
Fr- Johnny Wilson 6'2 275 Pounds
Fr- Jayden Gray 6'3 235 Pounds
Fr- Joey Petersen 6'4 220 Pounds
If Bailey returns, it likely will mean he doesn’t really have an NFL future. There is a lot of young and unproven guys in that group, similar to Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT