ADVERTISEMENT

We start 4 seniors on offense (the rest are currently SOs).....

No complaints about the overall product especially on D\ST, and the character level of our head coach is second to none. With that being said, my guess is 90% of our fan base would be ecstatic if there was an announcement tomorrow that kirk was going to hand the reigns completely over to a new offense coordinator. Not to make wholesale changes but someone that would make our offense more consistent.
Fans had been calling for the head of KOK too (back in the day). When Ken left after the '11 season ... we got Greg Davis in his place. Plenty of fans then, of course, went on to complain about Greg too. Now Brian is the new whipping boy. Nature of the beast. I don't think that fans are ever truly satisfied. That's why its better for coaches to adhere to having their program have a definite identity and focus on teaching the game to the best of their ability and to always strive to improve (at everything they do). Chasing fan approval is generally a losing battle.

Agreed. Honestly I would sign up right now for 20 more years just like the last 20, warts and all. I just worry that the list of non-blue blood CFB programs that took a step back following coaching changes is a lot longer than the list of programs that didn’t skip a beat or improved. Off the top of my head I think of schools like Wisconsin (and Iowa for that matter after JHF) that didn’t skip a beat and schools like Virginia Tech, Kansas St, Colorado, Tennessee, Nebraska, and many others that stumbled badly when their iconic coaches retired. Obviously there is no way to know ahead of time and it’s all hypothetical but count me among the fans that isn’t looking forward to the day KF retires.
Florida, Florida State, and Miami are other examples.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Not sure why Stanley needs a defense. Wasn't he the QB for 3 bowl wins.? Or no.? Some fans are too much into esthetics.
I thought Stanley was good. He had some awful games, but overall he was a solid quarterback who also had a few spectacular games.

The OL play during his tenure was inconsistent, and it was a cogent defense of Stanley at times. That was my only point.

I think another is issue is team loading the box against the run. They do not need to worry about the pass and have 8 in the box. If we were more of a threat in the passing game this would also help the running situation.

He had me, and especially at the end

LOL… of course he did and for those at home that want to know what true insanity looks like. Thank you for this.

There really truly are posters who, even amongst the best five-year stretch in our history with recruiting on an upswing & more talent coming in then we have ever had. We still have people that want our coach gone…

There is literally no reason to try and dialogue with someone like that!

I'll be curious to see what Cristobal can do at his Alma Mater.

I could foresee that being like Patty Fitz sorta situation.

The same Patty Fitz, whose own fans bitch & most about relentlessly?!

Id actually like sports more if it wasn’t for the fans…😳

Reactions: PIEPI
LOL… of course he did and for those at home that want to know what true insanity looks like. Thank you for this.

There really truly are posters who, even amongst the best five-year stretch in our history with recruiting on an upswing & more talent coming in then we have ever had. We still have people that want our coach gone…

There is literally no reason to try and dialogue with someone like that!
You’re a funny poster. I like your spirit. 😁

So you think a lot of Iowans are happy with the guy who has perpetuated a pathetic offense that's a national embarrassment? That sounds more like projecting your view.
Did you read what I wrote? Maybe you two should get together and start your own booster club to get rid of Iowa's future Hall of Fame and most successful coach? That's what the poster I replied to suggested.

Reactions: cmhawks99
I respect that. I don’t think it’s something to take lightly. Yes, there have been upticks in recruiting, etc., but we still have a very incompetent offense. On top of that, over the last three seasons you have referenced, who has Iowa really beaten? I see a lot of wins over Indiana, Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois, and directional schools.

Look, I get it. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side, and Iowa could easily end up in a Nebraska situation. Still, the conversation is inevitable.
Yes, it is inevitable. But it certainly is not on my agenda, and obviously won't ever be. I just get to watch.

Yes, they have beaten Indiana, Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois and Iowa State. Iowa doesn't have any "natural" advantages over those schools (except maybe ISU), yet the Hawks keep on beating them. Defeated USC after the 2019 season. Wins in 2020 against PSU, Mich St and Wisky. Good win against PSU last year.

For everyone in CF except for the top 5 or 6 schools, it's about making do with the portion of the team that isn't very good. The next coach may have a better offense and a worse defense. Who's knows?

Anyway, I just watch and for the most part, enjoy!

Did you read what I wrote? Maybe you two should get together and start your own booster club to get rid of Iowa's future Hall of Fame and most successful coach? That's what the poster I replied to suggested.

To be fair to black and gold bleeder is not at all like Roman Hawk. Roman is a hater and he has really never cared for Kirk Ferentz. I believe black and gold is on record he likes KF and I think he’s just frustrated and nervous about the season. Because we all know we have quite a bit of talent, we just don’t want to see it derailed by an impotent offense.

Unfortunately we do have to take the good with the bad and there isn’t a sure fire team to watch that has it all going for them unless you’re say Alabama or Ohio State and as we have seen Ohio State has some fairly significant defensive issues over the last couple years so you’re not even safe there!

That’s what I wish people would realize…

Find a different team to follow and oh by the way good luck finding one without issues.

How often do you have to be told that the H of F contains no, (zero), coaches who consistently fielded only 2/3 of a team.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
To be fair to black and gold bleeder is not at all like Roman Hawk. Roman is a hater and he has really never cared for Kirk Ferentz. I believe black and gold is on record he likes KF and I think he’s just frustrated and nervous about the season. Because we all know we have quite a bit of talent, we just don’t want to see it derailed by an impotent offense.

Unfortunately we do have to take the good with the bad and there isn’t a sure fire team to watch that has it all going for them unless you’re say Alabama or Ohio State and as we have seen Ohio State has some fairly significant defensive issues over the last couple years so you’re not even safe there!

Find a different team to follow and oh by the way good luck finding one without issues.
Those that call people haters are typically the real haters. I don't hate him, but do have a high level of resentment for some things he's done or not done. The leading item is the appointment of an unqualified BF to fix the program's biggest problem. It was obvious at the time and now you can see it's the #1 discussion topic of these boards and the entire fan base.

Reactions: blhawk and DewHawk
Those that call people haters are typically the real haters. I don't hate him, but do have a high level of resentment for some things he's done or not done. The leading item is the appointment of an unqualified BF to fix the program's biggest problem. It was obvious at the time and now you can see it's the #1 discussion topic of these boards and the entire fan base.

Yeah here’s how much of a hater I am… I’m not gonna waste a single second of my life being resentful of the head coach of my favorite sports team. That ought to tell people where you stand and where I stand.

I mean honestly we’re talking about a coach 23 years in that has continued to improve the program from where he got it and you’re resentful… I almost feel sorry for you. But I don’t because you are so damn negative!!

But here’s the rub how did you feel about KOK and then after he got let go how did you feel about Greg Davis?

The answer to those two questions will also shine a pretty bright light on you as a fan!

Carry on!

How often do you have to be told that the H of F contains no, (zero), coaches who consistently fielded only 2/3 of a team.

I don’t remember Lavell Edwards from BYU fielding too many great defenses… I’ll have to check but I doubt you have a very strong knowledge of the college football Hall of Fame and who really is in it.

If the wins are there he will make it… And I’m happy to find out that’s gonna piss you off!

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk

One last thing, and I admit I’m only adding this because I’m sure it will send you to the moon. But I doubt you have a very good recollection of all the offensive stinkers Hayden Fry put on the gridiron and he’s in the Hall of Fame… Please ask me to count them up for you!

Way more games where we scored 10Pts or <

Last edited:

Yes, I like Kirk a lot. He’s a HOF coach and at this point deserves to step down when he’s ready. I don’t believe there’s much debate to be had about that.

I like to throw out different topics for debate, as there are often meritorious reasons for both sides of an issue. Kirk is obviously well-renowned for OL development, which has been apparent throughout his Iowa tenure. Thus, it is curious and a little alarming that we’ve been discussing the offensive line for as many seasons as we have. Yes, sometimes legendary coaches hang on too long, and I felt it was a point worth mentioning, especially if Iowa continues to struggle on the OL. I wasn’t firmly taking a position one way or the other, but I do feel it merited discussion. As expected, there were some intelligent counterpoints as there were predictable responses that were utterly stupid.

Last, I will give Kirk the benefit of the doubt. After the 2014 season, I felt we had come to a crossroads in Kirk’s tenure. Recruiting was mediocre and there was just a general feeling of staleness to the program. I thought at the time parting ways with Kirk might have been best. As is history now, Kirk changed and adapted and the run from 2015 to the present is unparalleled in Iowa football history.

With all that said, yes, the Iowa offense is frustrating. It is what it is. No matter, I will continue to root for Kirk and Iowa. Lol. Yes, that includes Petras, despite my misgivings toward him.

Still, the offense has to improve. Has to.

Yes, I like Kirk a lot. He’s a HOF coach and at this point deserves to step down when he’s ready. I don’t believe there’s much debate to be had about that.

I like to throw out different topics for debate, as there are often meritorious reasons for both sides of an issue. Kirk is obviously well-renowned for OL development, which has been apparent throughout his Iowa tenure. Thus, it is curious and a little alarming that we’ve been discussing the offensive line for as many seasons as we have. Yes, sometimes legendary coaches hang on too long, and I felt it was a point worth mentioning, especially if Iowa continues to struggle on the OL. I wasn’t firmly taking a position one way or the other, but I do feel it merited discussion. As expected, there were some intelligent counterpoints as there were predictable responses that were utterly stupid.

Last, I will give Kirk the benefit of the doubt. After the 2014 season, I felt we had come to a crossroads in Kirk’s tenure. Recruiting was mediocre and there was just a general feeling of staleness to the program. I thought at the time parting ways with Kirk might have been best. As is history now, Kirk changed and adapted and the run from 2015 to the present is unparalleled in Iowa football history.

With all that said, yes, the Iowa offense is frustrating. It is what it is. No matter, I will continue to root for Kirk and Iowa. Lol. Yes, that includes Petras, despite my misgivings toward him.

Still, the offense has to improve. Has to.

I agree with all this especially the 13/14 thoughts… We were extremely stale at that point in time and there was concern on my part as well!

With that said, we didn’t just “improve“ we blew up… I don’t really remember us ever being where we’re at right now as far as program momentum & pure Raw talent!

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I think there is substantial Ferentz fatigue, not necessarily for the man himself, but for his stubbornness to bring his offensive concepts into the 21st Century. Most Iowa fans do watch other college football games and would love to field offenses they see, with QB's that are accurate and somewhat daring. And OC's that call games, much like Brian did against the Buckeyes in 2017. Football is supposed to be entertaining, but watching our offense continually put our defense back on the field is anything but. Yes, wins are great, but somehow the tens wins season seemed a lot like fools gold given the way we finished.

Reactions: littlez
I think there is substantial Ferentz fatigue, not necessarily for the man himself, but for his stubbornness to bring his offensive concepts into the 21st Century. Most Iowa fans do watch other college football games and would love to field offenses they see, with QB's that are accurate and somewhat daring. And OC's that call games, much like Brian did against the Buckeyes in 2017. Football is supposed to be entertaining, but watching our offense continually put our defense back on the field is anything but. Yes, wins are great, but somehow the tens wins season seemed a lot like fools gold given the way we finished.

I’m not naïve to this but it’s also a very myopic view. Pick a team not named Alabama or or Georgia or Ohio State and I’ll give you an overview of what their fans think about their program & their coach…

Point being: Dint you think every Fanbase has issues with their coaching staff?

Fir reference don’t you feel like Ohio State fans are going WTF if we only had a competent defense we would’ve won the national championship the last couple years… And that list goes on and on and on and on and on and on….

At a time I expected Iowa fans to be a little bit more realistic and appreciative but at lasts we’re just like every other fan base.

Optimistic that Iowa has a lot of good young players on the field, so there is a positive in the op subject.

However, I think all given, with the offense's lack of game breakers, the schedule, and the loaded boxes sure to come, my expectations for this season are pretty modest. I'd like to see a team that can compete in big games, and last season's CCG was a harsh reality check that Iowa isn't there yet, and there was a loss of significant players.

Seems an exciting season is still ahead. We'll see if the Hawkeyes can squeak out some close ones, but if it doesn't happen, it really shouldn't surprise anyone that has been watching Hawkeye football for a lot of years. Hope to see some great players emerge for the years ahead!

Last edited:
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Someday I hope we can have another dynamic PLAYMAKER at QB. Not someone that needs all the pieces around them working perfectly to allow them to be average.

I'm an optimist, so hoping that Spencer has made a noticable improvement. He's never going to be dynamic, but just quicker and more confident decisions and a little better protection from the line... PLEASE

Winning 3 - 0 is boring. Ticket sales don't reflect substantial Ferentz fatigue.

Reactions: PIEPI
Lots of mentions that KF is an OL guru. Well, he hasn't coached the OL in 24 years. At this point, all you can say for sure is that he knows how important the OL is.

Whether it's recruiting, development, blocking scheme, technique or working as a unit, it simply hasn't been dominant for a while. It's remarkable, really, that this team has won as many games as it has in the last few years without a great OL.

Hayden used to say, "Scratch where it itches". As KF says, uh, ..."We need to clean some things up".:confused:

Hopefully some major emphasis was placed on the O for 2022 and we'll see it on Saturday.

I think there has been enough said about last year's incompetent offense. We only have 2 more days to see what this year's edition will bring. Maybe everyone will be pleasantly surprised. If not, at least everyone will have something more relevant to complain about. 😊

You had me until the end. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I don't understand that thinking at all. If anything, Ferentz and staff has produced consistently better TEAMS and results in the last 6-7 years.

Iowa is like a Top 12 winning pct in nation since 2015 and I think Scott Dochterman said 7th in nation the last 4 years. On top of that, recruiting rankings for Iowa has improved immensely the past 4-5 years compared to the the previous 4-5 years before that.

That would be Nebraska stupid to cut ties with a coach that is winning more and recruiting better consistently than he ever has.

The next level of success for Iowa is to be consistently competing for a CFP birth ... which if the CFP goes to 12 teams like they are voting on tomorrow, Iowa would likely be a regular contender anyways with how Iowa has been trending.

And averaged 30 points a game.
Yeah, 32 pts to be exact and 40th in scoring and like 60th in Offensive Efficiency advanced statistics.

I am not sure why people love to grab on to the "total yards" ... of course Iowa isn't going to have a ton of total yards. That is not their philosophy. They play for field position and create TO's. That is how they have built the team and what they want. You would think our fans would have figured this out after 20 years.

So you think a lot of Iowans are happy with the guy who has perpetuated a pathetic offense that's a national embarrassment? That sounds more like projecting your view.
The vast majority of alumni and heavy hitting donors love Kirk and it’s not all because of his results on the football field, which have been far ahead of the curve historically for Iowa football. The alumni, major donors and the university and the athletic department don’t give a damn what the casual, tavern Hawk fan thinks about the state of the program, nor should they.

Yeah, I don't understand that thinking at all. If anything, Ferentz and staff has produced consistently better TEAMS and results in the last 6-7 years.

Iowa is like a Top 12 winning pct in nation since 2015 and I think Scott Dochterman said 7th in nation the last 4 years. On top of that, recruiting rankings for Iowa has improved immensely the past 4-5 years compared to the the previous 4-5 years before that.

That would be Nebraska stupid to cut ties with a coach that is winning more and recruiting better consistently than he ever has.

The next level of success for Iowa is to be consistently competing for a CFP birth ... which if the CFP goes to 12 teams like they are voting on tomorrow, Iowa would likely be a regular contender anyways with how Iowa has been trending.
Sure, yeah, all that .... but the offense sucks. We can't allow that. :rolleyes:

Reactions: owenhawk
Anyhow, going off the OP's original point ... the team is young ... particularly on O.

Given injuries at a position like WR ... that will hurt us in the short term ... but develop depth for us in the long-term.

Furthermore, in the pretty near future (as soon as maybe 1 year ... maybe sooner) ... we could be seeing Labas start too. Another young guy who is developing ... ascending the developmental ladder. However, he's also a guy who has a pretty unique skill-set as Iowa QBs go.

Combine the maturation of this wave of young players with our overall uptick in recruiting ... and, as I've alluded in other threads ... I think that we could be seeing our offense be a team strength in the coming years.

If we can avoid "holes" in position groups on D ... then given Phil's great coaching ... we'll continue to reside at (or near) the top of the B1G west. If we can actually start beating Wisconsin ... then maybe we'll become the team to beat in the west?

I don’t remember Lavell Edwards from BYU fielding too many great defenses… I’ll have to check but I doubt you have a very strong knowledge of the college football Hall of Fame and who really is in it.

If the wins are there he will make it… And I’m happy to find out that’s gonna piss you off!
Actually the poster to whom you are referring has shown over and over that his lack of understanding college football goes far beyond the Hall of Fame.

ADVERTISEMENT