ADVERTISEMENT

We will know how good this team is on Dec 6

If they can finish the year at 57 that would be a nice improvement.
I'll be interested to see, if it holds up, what an offense in the 40s and a defense in the 50s looks like for W-L results.

Here's what O in the 30s and D in the 40s looked like last year. FTR, I think Iowa ends the year with an O in the 20's or better.

UMD - 17-14 O 37/D 42
OU - 16-11 O 35/D 51
FLA - 15-10 O 44/D 41

Those are the closest examples I saw. Basically, if you don't have either an O or D in the top 40, you won't be a very good team. I'd expect Iowa to end around 20 or so in ORtg, and hope for 50 or so in DRtg. That would put them, regular season wise, in the convo of UVA, UCLA or Arizona. Basically around 19-22 wins, depending on breaks.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
If they can finish the year at 57 that would be a nice improvement.
I'll be interested to see, if it holds up, what an offense in the 40s and a defense in the 50s looks like for W-L results.

I think we will match up well with Virginia. They will try to slow the game down & Iowa will want to get up and down the court and score.

Last time I checked: Virginia does not have a lot of size and they don't play a ton of people.

Starters:

6'11 Soph Forward Kadin Shedrick
6'6 Senior Forward Jayden Gardner
6'2 Soph Guard Reece Beekman
6'4 Junior Guard Armaan Franklin
5'10 Senior Guard Kihei Clark

Their 2 Bench Players:

7'1 Junior Center Francisco Caffaro
6'8 Senior Guard Kody Stattmann

Reactions: Ronman
Here's what O in the 30s and D in the 40s looked like last year. FTR, I think Iowa ends the year with an O in the 20's or better.

UMD - 17-14 O 37/D 42
OU - 16-11 O 35/D 51
FLA - 15-10 O 44/D 41

Those are the closest examples I saw. Basically, if you don't have either an O or D in the top 40, you won't be a very good team. I'd expect Iowa to end around 20 or so in ORtg, and hope for 50 or so in DRtg. That would put them, regular season wise, in the convo of UVA, UCLA or Arizona. Basically around 19-22 wins, depending on breaks.
I agree.. Kenpom offensive ranking is 10 right now. I know the teams were weak but Kenpom adjusts for that. Also our starters all averaged only around 20-22 minutes these first few games and Fran is playing 13-14 guys right now. All of these ranks will be a lot more meaningful in another 4 weeks but right now the starting unit looks really solid. The bench definitely has some work to do. Thinking Fran shortens the rotation these next few games to the top 8 or 9 that he feels will get meaningful minutes this season. I still think he keeps the redshirt off of Josh because of depth issues at the 5 so he might as well get the minutes to prepare him. Maybe Mulvey too but he looks like the most likely redshirt to me.. Other than those 2 I'm thinking it's probably Kris, CMac, and then a toss-up between Sandfort, Ulis and Perkins for the lion's share of the reserve minutes based on what we've seen so far. Ulis deserves the most minutes of this group IMO. He's looking very confident and under control on both ends, perhaps the best of the reserves... I think Perkins is tough as nails but his offense has been rough so far and he looks like he's pressing. Kris has looked really good at times. Cmac is Cmac. Sandfort has looked pretty good for a freshman too.

Last edited:
Reactions: SSG T and Ronman
So I guess need some upward revision on the goals.

In the 20s at the end of the season for O? I think it's a big ask for them to get into the 30s for D, but maybe 40s?

Reactions: Franisdaman
I agree.. Kenpom offensive ranking is 10 right now. I know the teams were weak but Kenpom adjusts for that. Also our starters all averaged only around 20-22 minutes these first few games and Fran is playing 13-14 guys right now. All of these ranks will be a lot more meaningful in another 4 weeks but right now the starting unit looks really solid. The bench definitely has some work to do. Thinking Fran shortens the rotation these next few games to the top 8 or 9 that he feels will get meaningful minutes this season. I still think he keeps the redshirt off of Josh because of depth issues at the 5 so he might as well get the minutes to prepare him. Maybe Mulvey too but he looks like the most likely redshirt to me.. Other than those 2 I'm thinking it's probably Kris, CMac, and then a toss-up between Sandfort, Ulis and Perkins for the lion's share of the reserve minutes based on what we've seen so far. Ulis deserves the most minutes of this group IMO. He's looking very confident and under control on both ends, perhaps the best of the reserves... I think Perkins is tough as nails but his offense has been rough so far and he looks like he's pressing. Kris has looked really good at times. Cmac is Cmac. Sandfort has looked pretty good for a freshman too.

Also, consider that for the most part the bench has been playing with each other. Put 1 or 2 on the court with 3 or 4 starters, and the bench looks better. That will happen when they play better competition.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
So I guess need some upward revision on the goals.

In the 20s at the end of the season for O? I think it's a big ask for them to get into the 30s for D, but maybe 40s?

I'd guess around 15-20 ORtg and 45-50 DRtg would be reasonable.

Also, consider that for the most part the bench has been playing with each other. Put 1 or 2 on the court with 3 or 4 starters, and the bench looks better. That will happen when they play better competition.
Yep, it’s important to take into consideration that most of our offensive droughts and most of our defensive lapses/opposing runs have happened with lineups who may not see much meaningful action (especially together) when the games get more difficult. I think it’s still too tough to project how this squad will finish in terms of offensive/defensive metrics given the level of competition, but there is certainly reason for optimism at both ends

5 minutes left in their game with Missouri and KC is up by 20 points. They played Minnesota tough till the last couple minutes. Maybe the team from Kansas City that we hammered the other night wasn't the cupcake folks think. Not great, but not a cupcake.

The Kansas City team we hammered the other night is beating Missouri bad right now. They also played to within 4 of Minnesota up till the very end of the game. Maybe that cupcake wasn't so much of a cupcake as many though.

5 minutes left in their game with Missouri and KC is up by 20 points. They played Minnesota tough till the last couple minutes. Maybe the team from Kansas City that we hammered the other night wasn't the cupcake folks think. Not great, but not a cupcake.

Sports Illustrated ranked all 358 teams on November 2nd.

They had Kansas City #243 and 5th in the Summit.

They had IOWA #63rd overall and 10th in the B1G. Iowa beat Kansas City 89-57 on Nov 12.

They had Missouri #97 overall and 12th in the SEC. Kansas City beat Missouri 80-66 on Nov 15.

They had Minnesota #141 and dead last in the B1G. Minnesota beat Kansas City 71-56 on Nov 9.

Their preseason Top 10:

1 Gonzaga
2 Texas
3 Kansas
4 UCLA
5 Michigan
6 Memphis
7 Baylor
8 Purdue
9 Kentucky
10 Villanova

THE REST OF THE B1G:

16 Illinois
18 Ohio State
19 Indiana
24 Maryland
33 Michigan State
41 Rutgers
52 Wisconsin
63 IOWA
71 Northwestern
85 Penn State
88 Nebraska
141 Minnesota

OTHERS:

53 Drake
76 Northern Iowa
108 Iowa State

FULL STORY: https://www.si.com/college/2021/11/02/ncaa-basketball-rankings-every-team-daily-cover

Last edited:
Remember the 19-20 season. After losing to DePaul everyone was sure Iowa would lose 4 or 5 of the next six and what do you know, Iowa won 'em all.

Let's not write the obit until Iowa actually loses the games.

Age of Iowa’s starters
Joe Toussaint: 21
Jordan Bohannon: 24
Patrick McCaffery: 21
Keegan Murray: 21
Filip Rebraca: 24

First man off the bench, Kris Murray: 21
Connor McCaffery: 23
I think this team, and the term that should have been used, is inexperienced. In this case our star played a backup role last year, as did the starting PG, PM has obviously played very little prior to this year....

When you look at JBO, Connor, and FR you have some guys with experience who are playing in new roles this year. This team is young in experience and needs time to develop continuity and confidence in each other.

I think this team, and the term that should have been used, is inexperienced. In this case our star played a backup role last year, as did the starting PG, PM has obviously played very little prior to this year....

When you look at JBO, Connor, and FR you have some guys with experience who are playing in new roles this year. This team is young in experience and needs time to develop continuity and confidence in each other.

You nailed it.

The players are getting adjusted to:

* Playing together

* Their new roles and what is expected

Hopefully things get figured out in these first 6 games . The real tests will be at Virginia, at Purdue and vs Illinois. And the next game after those? At Iowa State.

I agree with you that the team together in their new roles is inexperienced - which is why it made a ton of sense to have the schedule that we do in non-conference.

However, individually, I would disagree that the team is inexperienced. Our starters have all played heavy minutes in previous years, and only Rebraca lacks tournament experience. The bench has some inexperience between Ulis/Perkins/Sandfort/Kris, but even Ulis and Perkins played some extremely meaningful minutes last year in Big Ten play and against Oregon in the NCAA Tournament. They both rose to the occasion in multiple games. Perkins locked up Dosunmu for seven minutes in the Illinois game, with 3 boards, 2 assists,-‘d no TO’s. Ulis was awesome in the Rutgers game, as well as against Nebraska. Patrick averaged 15 minutes per game last year and really stepped up down the stretch - he’ll be good to go when the lights are bright

Reactions: perryhawk
I agree with you that the team together in their new roles is inexperienced - which is why it made a ton of sense to have the schedule that we do in non-conference.

However, individually, I would disagree that the team is inexperienced. Our starters have all played heavy minutes in previous years, and only Rebraca lacks tournament experience. The bench has some inexperience between Ulis/Perkins/Sandfort/Kris, but even Ulis and Perkins played some extremely meaningful minutes last year in Big Ten play and against Oregon in the NCAA Tournament. They both rose to the occasion in multiple games. Perkins locked up Dosunmu for seven minutes in the Illinois game, with 3 boards, 2 assists,-‘d no TO’s. Ulis was awesome in the Rutgers game, as well as against Nebraska. Patrick averaged 15 minutes per game last year and really stepped up down the stretch - he’ll be good to go when the lights are bright
You're right.. The starting 5 has a lot of experience. Jbo is applying for social security at the end of the year. Keegan started a lot of games after players got injured. Joe T has a fair number of starts under his belt as well and played significant minutes the last 2 years.. Rebraca is in his 4th year. Patrick was getting almost 15 minutes per game last year. They just don't have a lot of experience playing together and without Garza.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
if we lose one of our next games vs Kansas City, NC Central, Alabama State, Western Michigan or Portland State, this board will melt down.
I doubt if it will happen against Alabama State. They have some talent, but IMO they are the weakest of the three teams ISU has played.....despite the final score being the closest.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
2 more cupcakes before 3 major tests in a row.

Nov 22 Western Michigan
Nov 26 Portland State

Nov 29 at Virginia
Dec 3 at Purdue
Dec 6 vs Illinois

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT