ADVERTISEMENT

We will know how good this team is on Dec 6

Franisdaman

HB King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Our next 5 games are all at home & should be cupcakes. Kansas City, NC Central, Alabama State, Western Michigan and Portland State. Not exactly Murderer's Row.

On Nov 26, after beating Portland State, we should be 6-0.

We will find out a lot about this team during the 3 games that follow:

* Nov 29 (at #25 Virginia)

* Dec 3 (at #7 Purdue)

* Dec 6 (vs #11 Illinois)

How will our 5 (center) hold up against their 5? Can we be consistent from outside, especially from 3? Those, of course, are 2 big question marks for this year's team.

So, I am going to keep tapping the brakes until Dec 6, around 8 pm, which is when the home game vs Illinois will be over. I hope at that time this board is not in a melt down mode. ;)

Last edited:
I really like the Virginia game this year. It's going to take them a while to get their offense going but once they figure things out they will likely be a top 5 team in the ACC this season. Iowa is getting them at a perfect time and a chance to pick up a good non con win. It's really their only opportunity at a good non con win this season. Too bad the game is @ Virginia.

I really like the Virginia game this year. It's going to take them a while to get their offense going but once they figure things out they will likely be a top 5 team in the ACC this season. Iowa is getting them at a perfect time and a chance to pick up a good non con win. It's really their only opportunity at a good non con win this season. Too bad the game is @ Virginia.

Virginia lost on Nov 9 to Navy at home 66-58. They basically played a 7 man rotation (one player off the bench played 2 minutes; another played just 1 minute).

Virginia does not have a ton of size, as you can see in what follows.

Virginia's starters scored 52 of their 58 points

Here were Virginia's starters for that game:

7 pts from 6'11 Soph Forward Kadin Shedrick (23 min)
18 pts from 6'6 Senior Forward Jayden Gardner (33 min)
8 pts from 6'2 Soph Guard Reece Beekman (38min)
7 pts from 6'4 Junior Guard Armaan Franklin (33 min)
12 pts from 5'10 Senior Guard Kihei Clark (38 min)

Their 2 Bench Players who scored:

3 pts from 7'1 Junior Center Francisco Caffaro (15 min)
3 pts from 6'8 Senior Guard Kody Stattmann (17 min)

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Starting the conference season with pu and illanoy is a tough assignment.
Expecting losses in both. A good showing and putting up a fight until the end to keep it close would be nice.

Virginia lost on Nov 9 to Navy at home 66-58. They basically played a 7 man rotation (one player off the bench played 2 minutes; another played just 1 minute).

Virginia does not have a ton of size, as you can see in what follows.

Virginia's starters scored 52 of their 58 points

Here were Virginia's starters for that game:

7 pts from 6'11 Soph Forward Kadin Shedrick (23 min)
18 pts from 6'6 Senior Forward Jayden Gardner (33 min)
8 pts from 6'2 Soph Guard Reece Beekman (38min)
7 pts from 6'4 Junior Guard Armaan Franklin (33 min)
12 pts from 5'10 Senior Guard Kihei Clark (38 min)

Their 2 Bench Players who scored:

3 pts from 7'1 Junior Center Francisco Caffaro (15 min)
3 pts from 6'8 Senior Guard Kody Stattmann (17 min)

For scouting purposes ...

Reactions: Franisdaman
I wouldn’t count on wins against every “cupcake”. We are young.

pat-benatar-we-are-young.gif

Age of Iowa’s starters
Joe Toussaint: 21
Jordan Bohannon: 24
Patrick McCaffery: 21
Keegan Murray: 21
Filip Rebraca: 24

First man off the bench, Kris Murray: 21
Connor McCaffery: 23
Lol that's what I was thinking too. How can we be young when we have Joe T in year 3 with significant starting experience, a 2 guard who played since before the shot clock era, Patrick who is a 3rd year soph, Keegan who had an extra year at DME and Rebraca a 5th year grad transfer.

Lol that's what I was thinking too. How can we be young when we have Joe T in year 3 with significant starting experience, a 2 guard who played since before the shot clock era, Patrick who is a 3rd year soph, Keegan who had an extra year at DME and Rebraca a 5th year grad transfer.
Pretty much everybody in the rotation aside from Rebraca and Sandfort has NCAA tournament experience. Really no excuse for losses prior to Virginia

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Iowa is not young as other poster pointed out. They will get almost zero important minutes from first-year players. Sandfort will probably be in the rotation, but not a slam dunk. Kr. Murray hasn't played much but he redshirted after taking a post-high school year in Florida, so he's the age of many college juniors.

If it were a mid major like SDSU or Drake, I might agree.

Our noncon schedule is pretty much exclusively 275+ teams. Bottom of the barrel types. We’ll roll them all.
Yes they aren't losing to the cupcakes. The cupcakes are truly the moistest cupcakes out there.

The Illinois game will be tough. The 3 game suspension for Cock-burn should have been the first 3 CONFERENCE games. Make it meaningful. 3 games where they would not have needed him is a slap on the pinkie.
To be fair, considering NIL stuff was approved like two weeks later, he really shouldn’t have been suspended at all IMO.

Reactions: Booty Maximus
Illinois will be a good team this year. They have the
potential to win the Big Ten Conference. Their depth
at all positions is outstanding. They play lights out on
defense and have many offensive weapons.
Yeah.....let's not worry about the Illini, I'm not anyway. With Cofi back and the rest...they are good. But...that's why ya play the game, especially basketball...any given game the ball can bounce very funny.

Reactions: AlvySinger
if we lose one of our next games vs Kansas City, NC Central, Alabama State, Western Michigan or Portland State, this board will melt down.
Sure, there's always the possibility on here of that happening.
None of those teams bring much to the table, and most of them are downright terrible, so even for this team with tempered expectations going into conference and tourney play they should not lose to any of them.

Our next 5 games are all at home & should be cupcakes. Kansas City, NC Central, Alabama State, Western Michigan and Portland State. Not exactly Murderer's Row.

* Dec 3 (at #7 Purdue)

How will our 5 (center) hold up against their 5? Can we be consistent from outside, especially from 3? Those, of course, are 2 big question marks for this year's team.

So, I am going to keep tapping the brakes until Dec 6, around 8 pm, which is when the home game vs Illinois will be over. I hope at that time this board is not in a melt down mode. ;)
I think the Hawks will have a tough time winning any of those games - and I'm not trying to be pessimistic about the team. Those are just 3 very tough games for a somewhat inexperienced team.

I think the Hawks will have a tough time winning any of those games - and I'm not trying to be pessimistic about the team. Those are just 3 very tough games for a somewhat inexperienced team.
Those games are going to be tough for sure.....though watching a clip of Virginia's game against Navy.....we can match up for sure but it is on the road...

Against Navy.....

FG 3PT FT
21 - 51 4 - 16 12 - 17
41.18% 25.00% 70.59%

Against Longwood......
FG 3PT FT
36 - 65 15 - 33 19 - 22
55.38% 45.45% 86.36%

In fact, listening to BTN today and their basketball segment per Andy Katz.....pretty pathetic, really horrible how bad a lot of key B1G teams shot from the 3 point line...absolutely not even close to 15-33 and 45 friggin %........... :)

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Those games are going to be tough for sure.....though watching a clip of Virginia's game against Navy.....we can match up for sure but it is on the road...

Against Navy.....

FG 3PT FT
21 - 51 4 - 16 12 - 17
41.18% 25.00% 70.59%

Against Longwood......
FG 3PT FT
36 - 65 15 - 33 19 - 22
55.38% 45.45% 86.36%

In fact, listening to BTN today and their basketball segment per Andy Katz.....pretty pathetic, really horrible how bad a lot of key B1G teams shot from the 3 point line...absolutely not even close to 15-33 and 45 friggin %........... :)
I'm really surprised that the Hawks shot that well in game 1. If they can somehow stay even close to those numbers they will be a team to reckon with.

VA's number look more normal for Game 1

Reactions: EduNeerHawk
To be fair, considering NIL stuff was approved like two weeks later, he really shouldn’t have been suspended at all IMO.
No, it wasn’t an NIL issue. He was wearing an Illini uniform, which is a trademark violation, not NIL.

The Illinois game will be tough. The 3 game suspension for Cock-burn should have been the first 3 CONFERENCE games. Make it meaningful. 3 games where they would not have needed him is a slap on the pinkie.
He shouldn’t have been suspended at all. Why are you anxious to punish him more?

* Dec 3 (at #7 Purdue)

We could lose all three of those games and still be a very good team. I think I would be real happy to go 1-2 and ecstatic to go 2-1.

So, Kennesaw State played to within 3 of Creighton with a minute to go. Iowa State beat Kennesaw State by 11. So is Creighton down this year or is Iowa State decent? Just curious because Kennesaw State didn't look to bad.

We could lose all three of those games and still be a very good team. I think I would be real happy to go 1-2 and ecstatic to go 2-1.

And my point stands. Our next 5 games are cupcakes, where it's going to be hard from each of those 5 games to learn a lot and really tell how good this team is.

After those 5 cupcakes and, hopefully, a 6-0 record, we play 3 quality teams in a row.

That's why I said that we won't really know how good this team is until roughly 25 days from now, around 8 pm on Dec 6.

So, Kennesaw State played to within 3 of Creighton with a minute to go. Iowa State beat Kennesaw State by 11. So is Creighton down this year or is Iowa State decent? Just curious because Kennesaw State didn't look to bad.

Creighton is expected to be down this year relative to recent years. I’d guess 6th-9th in the BE. Also, they shot 1-19 from 3 tonight.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT