ADVERTISEMENT

We will know how good this team is on Dec 6

i guess what worries me is that our nonconference body of work will be heavily criticized in March.

I understand why Fran scheduled 8 nonconference cupcakes but I wish we would schedule teams ranked in the low 200's vs teams in the 300's.
Yeah. I would agree with that. Easy wins with higher value. Virginia and ISU are definitely going to improve the noncon SOS though and ultimately it will be Iowa's performance in conference that will determine their fate in March.

Reactions: Hawkeye_Pride06
Portland State was ranked at 254, at least 50 places above ASU and Western Michigan, but there is very little difference if any between those 3 teams.

I wish Iowa had played at least 1 Power 6 team, but it's happening this week. Most members of this Iowa team have played in games like these on the road so I am not worried about inexperience as much as the lack of play on the road together for this group. That could be a shock for this team, at least initially. That and playing from behind, especially on the road against a team with a decent fan base. And it will happen.

Lets just hope that if we are on the NCAA Tournament bubble in late Feb and then into March, our noncon SOS is not what keeps us out

Reactions: BBHawk
Yeah. I would agree with that. Easy wins with higher value. Virginia and ISU are definitely going to improve the noncon SOS though and ultimately it will be Iowa's performance in conference that will determine their fate in March.

If we slip up vs Virginia & Clown U & go 9-2 in the nonconference, I think we have to go at least 10-10 in conference play, which gets us to 19-12 before the B1G Tournament. And then I don't think we can be 1 and done in the BTT.

Reactions: BBHawk
On the strength of schedule note, here's kind of a fun one. So people still recreate the RPI even though it's no longer used. Iowa is 6-0 and #143. Kennesaw State is 0-4 and #145.

Iowa has played Kennesaw State in recent years. A couple times I believe. Absolutely blasted them. If they played right now, I'm sure they would be a 29 point underdog, as is kind of standard for teams mismatched that badly.

Really goes to show how much the RPI sucked. It put more emphasis on simply playing tougher teams than actually winning games.

If we slip up vs Virginia & Clown U & go 9-2 in the nonconference, I think we have to go at least 10-10 in conference play, which gets us to 19-12 before the B1G Tournament. And then I don't think we can be 1 and done in the BTT.
I think Virginia and ISU are both toss-ups right now and I think the Hawks have a good chance at being .500+ in the conference. I wouldn't be surprised if they won or lost both. I predict that they split the next 4 in what might be their toughest 4 game stretch this year. If they do I'm optimistic that this team exceeds expectations this year. I think a lot of that depends on how you, I mean Fran manages the personnel and the minutes they play. We need a few players like Kris to get more minutes than maybe you, I mean Fran is comfortable with.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I think Virginia and ISU are both toss-ups right now and I think the Hawks have a good chance at being .500+ in the conference. I wouldn't be surprised if they won or lost both. I predict that they split the next 4 in what might be their toughest 4 game stretch this year. If they do I'm optimistic that this team exceeds expectations this year. I think a lot of that depends on how you, I mean Fran manages the personnel and the minutes they play. We need a few players like Kris to get more minutes than maybe you, I mean Fran is comfortable with.

it will be interesting to see how many he plays in the next 4 games.

I think the only players he's not comfortable using are Riley & Josh.

I am guessing he sticks with these 10. And I agree, we are really going to need Kris.

Joe
JBO
PMac
Keegan
Filip

Kris
Connor
Payton
Perkins
Ulis

I think this team, and the term that should have been used, is inexperienced. In this case our star played a backup role last year, as did the starting PG, PM has obviously played very little prior to this year....

When you look at JBO, Connor, and FR you have some guys with experience who are playing in new roles this year. This team is young in experience and needs time to develop continuity and confidence in each other.
I get your point on new positions, but feel there is a bit of sandbagging on experience here. Keegan played 18 minutes a game last year, Joe T started a year then played almost the same as Keegan last year, and Patrick was part of the regular rotation getting ~15 min per game. They each played consistently, playing in all or nearly all of the games. Couple that with their age and these young men have played a lot of basketball. In-experienced seems overplayed with this group. I believe that while they have played a weak non-con schedule so far, the fact they have taken care of business and played well together doesn’t support the narrative.

Reactions: cheddarwurst69
I get your point on new positions, but feel there is a bit of sandbagging on experience here. Keegan played 18 minutes a game last year, Joe T started a year then played almost the same as Keegan last year, and Patrick was part of the regular rotation getting ~15 min per game. They each played consistently, playing in all or nearly all of the games. Couple that with their age and these young men have played a lot of basketball. In-experienced seems overplayed with this group. I believe that while they have played a weak non-con schedule so far, the fact they have taken care of business and played well together doesn’t support the narrative.
I think the missing elements here are lack of playing together….comfort, continuity, coordination and experience together only come from…playing together.

The defense is where we might see missed assignments or switching that’s a half a step or more late….or to soon.

The bottom line (only my uninformed opinion) is that we aren’t ready for teams like Virginia. How will this team play, how will they adjust when a Tony Bennett coached team puts the clamps on Keegan?

When the starting PG gets in foul trouble how will Ulis do against the tougher competition?

Etc

From the Fran interview before the Virginia game:

Q: In front of a hostile crowd?

It will be a challenge. It's always that way. Less of a factor with veteran team. Have about eight guys who haven't played in front of a hostile crowd. even the guys who played a lot last year haven't played in front of anyone. I think we are all excited about this opportunity. This is what we sign up for and we will see how we perform.

I think the missing elements here are lack of playing together….comfort, continuity, coordination and experience together only come from…playing together.

The defense is where we might see missed assignments or switching that’s a half a step or more late….or to soon.

The bottom line (only my uninformed opinion) is that we aren’t ready for teams like Virginia. How will this team play, how will they adjust when a Tony Bennett coached team puts the clamps on Keegan?

When the starting PG gets in foul trouble how will Ulis do against the tougher competition?

Etc
Point taken.

From the Fran interview before the Virginia game:

Q: In front of a hostile crowd?

It will be a challenge. It's always that way. Less of a factor with veteran team. Have about eight guys who haven't played in front of a hostile crowd. even the guys who played a lot last year haven't played in front of anyone. I think we are all excited about this opportunity. This is what we sign up for and we will see how we perform.

3 of our next 4 games are on the road, in front of loud, hostile crowds

at Virginia
at Purdue
vs Illinois
at Clown U

We are gonna learn a lot here shortly.

it will be interesting to see how many he plays in the next 4 games.

I think the only players he's not comfortable using are Riley & Josh.

I am guessing he sticks with these 10. And I agree, we are really going to need Kris.

Joe
JBO
PMac
Keegan
Filip

Kris
Connor
Payton
Perkins
Ulis
Yup. That's what it looks like right now.

On the strength of schedule note, here's kind of a fun one. So people still recreate the RPI even though it's no longer used. Iowa is 6-0 and #143. Kennesaw State is 0-4 and #145.

Iowa has played Kennesaw State in recent years. A couple times I believe. Absolutely blasted them. If they played right now, I'm sure they would be a 29 point underdog, as is kind of standard for teams mismatched that badly.

Really goes to show how much the RPI sucked. It put more emphasis on simply playing tougher teams than actually winning games.
Kennesaw State is not a bad team by any stretch of the imagination. Keep your eye on them.

one thing about the Murrays that I love is that they are going to rebound the frickin' basketball.

i don't care if Kris scores; i just love rebounding and having possession of the frickin' basketball.

and i hate turnovers, which means you lost possession of the freakin' basketball. ;)
Yup. That's what separates Kris and Keegan from the rest. They can do it all.

Some on here are very adamant that Fran has scheduled a highly cupcake schedule. Whom on here can define a cupcake schedule?
In earlier years of Fran's tenure, posters complained of Fran scheduling teams with well over an 300 rpi. That probably won't stop while Fran is coach but it is improving. Let's look.
1. Longwood, started the season with an rpi of 249 and as of 11/28 is at 204,
clearly after a 33 point drubbing by Iowa they are not listed in the 300rpi's
2. UMKC, started the season with an rpi of 248 and as of 11/28 is at 202.
Iowa beat them by 22 they are not listed in the 300rpi's
3. North Carolina Central, started the season with an rpi of 343 and of of
11/28 is at 341....first team still under 300rpi. Had an entirely new roster of
transfers and portal gets.
4. Alabama St, started the season at 357 and as of 11/28 they are at 333 rpi..... second team under 300rpi.
5. Western Michigan, started the season at 312 and as of 11/28 is now at
310..... third team under 300rpi.
6. Portland St, started the season at 223 and as of 11/28 is now at 255.
7. Virginia, started the season 45 and as of 11/28 now at 47.
8. Iowa St, started the season 113, as of 11/28 now at 74.
9. Utah St, started the season 95, as of 11/28 now at 61.
10. Southeastern Louisiana, started the season 314, as of 11/28 now at
318....fourth team under300rpi.
11. Western Illinois, started the season 242, as of 11/28 now at 189.

Clearly this 11 game preseason schedule has only 4 teams with an rpi of 300 or worse. 4 teams have an rpi in the 200's, 1 team has an rpi in the 100's, and 2 teams have an rpi under 100. That's hardly the cupcake schedule that some on here have complained about.
Yes, Iowa is blowing through the 6 games so far but maybe this Iowa team is better then the pendants predicted instead of playing cupcake teams. After all, Iowa is averaging 31 points better then their defensive average.
Yeng or Yang, we really won't know how good this team is, until the next 4 games are played, but Iowa's schedule is not comprised of cupcakes by any means.....

Some on here are very adamant that Fran has scheduled a highly cupcake schedule. Whom on here can define a cupcake schedule?
In earlier years of Fran's tenure, posters complained of Fran scheduling teams with well over an 300 rpi. That probably won't stop while Fran is coach but it is improving. Let's look.
4. Alabama St, started the season at 357 and as of 11/28 they are at 333 rpi..... second team under 300rpi.

Clearly this 11 game preseason schedule has only 4 teams with an rpi of 300 or worse. 4 teams have an rpi in the 200's, 1 team has an rpi in the 100's, and 2 teams have an rpi under 100. That's hardly the cupcake schedule that some on here have complained about.
Yes, Iowa is blowing through the 6 games so far but maybe this Iowa team is better then the pendants predicted instead of playing cupcake teams. After all, Iowa is averaging 31 points better then their defensive average.
Yeng or Yang, we really won't know how good this team is, until the next 4 games are played, but Iowa's schedule is not comprised of cupcakes by any means.....

As I have stated, I am going to keep track of our nonconference strength of schedule (SOS) and see how it moves between now and Jan 5.

On Nov 26, our nonconference SOS was #354 out of 358 teams.

Will it move out of the 300's by Jan 5?? Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, this is what we know about our 11 nonconference opponents:

KenPom
Rank on:

Nov26.......Nonconference Opponent

208.............Longwood
193..............Kansas City
342...........NC Central
332...........Alabama State
320...........Western Michigan

254.............Portland State
47................Virginia
95...............Iowa State
68...............Utah State
305...........Southeastern Louisiana
202.............Western Illinois

In the Nov 26 ESPN Bracketology, Iowa is OFF the bubble and is a 10 seed.

Utah State, a future opponent, is a 10 seed and has one of the last 4 byes.

9 B1G teams are projected to make the NCAA Tournament.

Seed/Team:

1 Purdue
4 Michigan
5 Michigan State
6 Illinois
6 Ohio State
7 Indiana
9 Maryland
10 IOWA
10 Wisconsin (Last 4 Byes)

The Full Bracket:

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/s...ology-projecting-2022-march-madness-men-field

I would be surprised if nine B1G make the tournament this year. Looks like a down year to me. Obviously there is some cream that will rise to the top, but there are a lot of fairly mediocre teams, by recent B1G standards, so the fight for the middle of the standings could be fierce.

I would be surprised if nine B1G make the tournament this year. Looks like a down year to me. Obviously there is some cream that will rise to the top, but there are a lot of fairly mediocre teams, by recent B1G standards, so the fight for the middle of the standings could be fierce.

ACC is super down, the Pac12 looks down, and most mid-majors are 1 big leagues now. It’s conceivable.

When there’s 356 teams and 4 of the teams you play in the preseason are in the 300’s it’s a shitty schedule. Slice it any way you want. These teams all sucked. We beat a solid UVA team on the road yesterday. That’s a good win. Those other games might as well have been exhibitions.

How is RPI relevant to any CBB conversation?

Reactions: lesterfan
Enjoy this while we can. Given the schedule the B1G has handed us to start the year, this may be the high point of the season.

Well, Kentucky is at 343, Texas at 322, Texas Tech at 358, and UConn at 326, so we are in good company. Check back in 10 days and see where we are. (prolly not undefeated)

That's why i made note of what our nonconf SOS was on Nov 26. I will compare that to Jan 5 and moving forward. Hopefully it improves dramatically.

As I noted before, I just hope our weak nonconf schedule does not keep us out of the NCAA Tournament

As I have stated, I am going to keep track of our nonconference strength of schedule (SOS) and see how it moves between now and Jan 5.

On Nov 26, our nonconference SOS was #354 out of 358 teams.

Today, Dec 3, we play our first conference game.
* Our nonconference SOS is #352 out of 358 teams.
* Our overall SOS is #352 out of 358 teams

Will our nonconference SOS move out of the 300's by Jan 5?? Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, this is what we know about our 11 nonconference opponents:

KenPom
Rank on:

Nov...Dec
26........3.......Nonconference Opponent

208....200........Longwood
193.....220.........Kansas City
342...339........NC Central
332...338........Alabama State
320...313.........Western Michigan

254...250..........Portland State
47........46..........Virginia
95.......80..........Iowa State
68.......60..........Utah State
305...318........Southeastern Louisiana
202....182..........Western Illinois

• Wow
Reactions: Hawksfor3
The are still are what I expected

I predicted 17-14 and that’s still my prediction

Iowa state loss Thursday most likely

Well they are what they are...Not very good, thank goodness for a few more cupcakes on the schedule as they won't win much more than that they will be lucky to finish the year .500 team

Reactions: QChawks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT