ADVERTISEMENT

Wealthiest Executives Paid Little to Nothing in Federal Income Taxes, Report Says

I've always been in favor of luxury taxes.

Slap a 10% luxory tax on a Ferrari for example.....Ferrari guy ain't gonna blink and still buy the Ferrari....
It sounds easy but in reality a luxury tax hurts more middle income people. Clinton implemented a luxury tax on yachts in the 90's. What happened was the people who sold yachts lost their jobs because no one was buying yachts, the manufacturing of yachts slowed way down for the same reason putting assembly line workers out of work and the rich who wanted yachts simply bought them in another country.

We are trying to make the tax laws too complicated. Tax people a percentage of their salary with no deductions which would eliminate loop holes thus insuring everyone pays what they owe. Problem solved. However, politicians on both sides would never go for this because they want to insure donations from the rich and they want to control the economy and people just continue to complain.

Your example is based on spending, and choice to spend, and individual choices on how to divide the tab.

What analogy would you have me come up with? One where wealth and income taxes are intermixed, which is really stupid to start with.

Bezos goes into a restaurant and orders a meal. When the bill comes, he says, "I don't have any cash. Will you let me pay with a partial share of Amazon stock?"

we as individuals don’t have control over what the government spends, so it is appropriate to say (in an ANALOGY) that the spending has already happened… so how do we split up the bill?

let me get this conversation where I assume (might make an ass of me) you want it to go - nobody’s going to tax your family farm wealth. We just want the richest guys in town to pay something in income tax.

I’m simply saying we can’t realistically expect the lowest income earners to pay more in tax unless we can first get the robber barons to pay theirs. I cannot imagine defending their “right” to avoid taxes like you seem to be?

ADVERTISEMENT