ADVERTISEMENT

Weather supposed to be fantastic this weekend....what's on the menu

Fijimn

HR Legend
May 7, 2008
Big thunder storm rolling through today and this evening. Then sunny and in the mid to upper 80's. Here's what's available at my usual fish monger place.....thinking snapper and/or a whole branzino...

174167883_10157745678645474_1542906090636147223_n.jpg

Reactions: Tenacious E
I’ll probably be working both days this weekend but I’ve got some wild turkey breasts marinading. They will get smoked at some point.

Reactions: Gimmered
I'm considering putting a Boston butt or brisket point in the PBC early tomorrow morning.

My wife signed us up to get pictures done at a public park up in Michigan.

Kind of surprising considering how afraid she's been that anyone and everyone might have COVID and that it was going to kill her and all our children.

Kind of surprising considering how afraid she's been that anyone and everyone might have COVID and that it was going to kill her and all our children.
Especially in the hotspot of Michigan.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye

It's a Houston tradition to take family pictures in blue bonnet fields at this time....

Doing steaks on the grill tonight and then a Boston butt tomorrow for pulled pork sandwiches on Saturday.

Reactions: B1GDeal
Big thunder storm rolling through today and this evening. Then sunny and in the mid to upper 80's. Here's what's available at my usual fish monger place.....thinking snapper and/or a whole branzino...

174167883_10157745678645474_1542906090636147223_n.jpg
That looks so fantastic. Do they really catch all of that right there in the Gulf by Houston?

Two racks of spare ribs set to go on the Weber tomorrow.

Same here except change Weber to a Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker and tomorrow to Sunday unless the weather looks better Sat.

I haven’t decided what style I’m going to do them in yet. I’ve got the ingredients necessary to do them as either 1) Memphis Dry Rub with a tangy Memphis style sauce on the side, 2) Saucy St. Louis style, 3) Competition style with the “lacquered bark” and sweeter sauce on the side, 4) Cuban style pork ribs with mojo criollo marinade and then a guava sauce for the side, 5) Greek style pork ribs with some tzatziki sauce on the side, 6) German style smoked pork ribs with sauerkraut, 7) Filipino style Pinoy pork ribs with banana ketchup sauce, or 8) standard Coca-Cola pork ribs.

That looks so fantastic. Do they really catch all of that right there in the Gulf by Houston?
The speckled trout, snappers, flounder, red fish, pompano, drum and catfish yes. The packed crabs come from Mexico. But she has live crabs from the gulf during seasons. Oysters

Reactions: Tenacious E
Same here except change Weber to a Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker and tomorrow to Sunday unless the weather looks better Sat.

I haven’t decided what style I’m going to do them in yet. I’ve got the ingredients necessary to do them as either 1) Memphis Dry Rub with a tangy Memphis style sauce on the side, 2) Saucy St. Louis style, 3) Competition style with the “lacquered bark” and sweeter sauce on the side, 4) Cuban style pork ribs with mojo criollo marinade and then a guava sauce for the side, 5) Greek style pork ribs with some tzatziki sauce on the side, 6) German style smoked pork ribs with sauerkraut, 7) Filipino style Pinoy pork ribs with banana ketchup sauce, or 8) standard Coca-Cola pork ribs.

What's your version for the "standard" Coca-Cola ribs?

After the weather clears out tonight, I rise early to get the brisket flat going.

What's your version for the "standard" Coca-Cola ribs?

Any of the variations on the original recipe posted by Coke back in the day (same time they did Coca Cola Chocolate Cake). The original version was actually boiled from what I understand and then finished under the broiler with sauce. The later 50s and 60s versions used low heat oven baking in foil or a casserole dish and then finished under the broiler. I do a modern version using sous vide and then finishing either under the broiler or do a short high heat smoke and then finished under the broiler.

This would be a take on the original boiled recipe.

This would be a take on the 50s-60s baked recipe

My version is to sous vide the ribs in a dry rub with a can of Coke for 12-20 hours at 150 degrees. The shorter the toothier they will be and at 20 hours they’re fall of the bone. Usually I determine the time based more on my schedule than preference. Then after add the sauce from the original and broil until you get a nice crust or alternatively you could smoke at 350-400 until getting similar results.

Reactions: The Tradition
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT