ADVERTISEMENT

Weather Warning, for Northern Iowa Especially - Possible Derecho Winds!

5435788.jpg

Blew for 30 seconds in Cherokee. Hope it keeps raining at least.

When and where?

The big one was Aug 10, 2020.
I could be wrong, maybe they didn't classify it as such. But I did find this:

Among the damage reported in Sioux City are downed trees, telephone outages, power outages and blocked roads, according to The Sioux City Journal.

The system brought 60-70 mph winds to much of the area, with the highest recorded windspeed being 87 mph in Lyon County near Larchwood in the far northwestern corner of Iowa, Dux said.

Among the damage reported in Sioux City are downed trees, telephone outages, power outages and blocked roads, according to The Sioux City Journal.

Dux said the Storm Prediction Center will be analyzing the damage over the coming days as reports come in to determine whether to classify the storm as a derecho, which is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line wind storm that is associated with a fast-moving group of severe thunderstorms known as a mesoscale convective system.

If it is a derecho, it will have been the third to hit Iowa since August 2020

The system brought 60-70 mph winds to much of the area, with the highest recorded windspeed being 87 mph in Lyon County near Larchwood in the far northwestern corner of Iowa, Dux said.

Dux said the Storm Prediction Center will be analyzing the damage over the coming days as reports come in to determine whether to classify the storm as a derecho, which is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line wind storm that is associated with a fast-moving group of severe thunderstorms known as a mesoscale convective system.

Well shite. I'm going to put the garbage out to blow over neighbors yard.

Reactions: jasonrann
Tornado sirens going off in Britt and Kanawha. A coworker that lives in Algona said he was almost blown off the road driveling home.

That radar shot eerily reminds me of the 2020 derecho...the line of storms running west to east at the northern end.

People forget about that part of the derecho...there was a line of strong thunderstorms on the northern end that ran west to east across northern Iowa...just like this one.

Friend of mine in Waukee just sent me a pic of the roll cloud moving in. And I noticed they just issued a severe thunderstorm watch for eastern Iowa from roughly I80 on north. They must believe it's gonna hold together across the entire state now.

Passed over me, south end of NW Iowa, got a little breezy and rainy. I was at the south edge of the storm moving through. This storm’s strength is on the northern part.

Last edited:

Fair enough.

Was outside when it started the temp dropped like 25 degrees then the wind picked up. About a minute later we hear a huge explosion that was yellowish so I’m thinking a tree fell on transformer?

Reactions: h-hawk
Weak ass storm through Black Hawk county. North of us got it worse it looks like. Buchanan under a tornado warning

Sisters house in. Forest city tree went through roof. It was weird as i was talking to her on the phone when it happened.Sounded like sliding door got crushed. Lots of trees down
25ish miles south we had tornado sirens going off but thankfully it was quick. We went out 20 minutes after the sirens stopped and I had two sticks on the ground that I can snap in half and toss in the fire pit.

Getting a few gusts in IC, but I am crossing my fingers as it looks like the wall of storms is breaking up.

The rain just started at my house. It’s really coming down. The winds have been pretty impressive and steady. This is a strong storm, but fortunately, doesn’t even approach two years ago. I’m in NW Cedar Rapids, btw.

an alarm got set off at my business in CR. drove over there and no damage. wind was blowing like a MF for about 2 minutes. It blew some brush out the back of my truck. It rained.. it's thundering now but leaves are still. weird.

ADVERTISEMENT