ADVERTISEMENT

Weather

Eternal Return

HR Heisman
Oct 15, 2009
My biggest concerns besides injuries this season are temperatures and weather, especially weather. Every team will have to deal with it, but it will affect some teams more than others. The two phases of the game that will likely be most impacted are the passing game and special teams. Of all the years to have the best group of WRs, it sucks to be starting this late in the season when wind, rain, and snow could affect the passing game, especially with a new QB who happens to be from California. But probably even more concerning will be the kicking games. Under good weather conditions, Iowa probably would have had an advantage over most teams in the B10. But with wind and rain and snow, Duncan could be somewhat neutralized. He is incredibly accurate, but I don't recall him having the leg strength that Recinos had and that could be an issue on longer kicks with bad weather.

I bring all of this up because there has been far too much optimism here lately -- I'm kidding, I'm kidding! lol, it's good to talk actual football again. :)

Just a couple of quick snapshots, FWIW:

* Chuck Long threw for 461 yards and six TDs in a game-long rainstorm in the Freedom Bowl (Anaheim) against a team called the Texas Longhorns.

* A foot of snow fell before Iowa welcomed the Minnesota Gophers into Kinnick Stadium in late November of 1991. About 32,000 fans (including me) showed up to watch Hawkeye quarterback Matt Rodgers throw for 390 yards and three touchdowns in the 23-8 victory that gave Iowa ten wins and another trip to the Holiday Bowl. Danan Hughes made a snow angel in the south end zone to celebrate a TD reception. The snow, ice, and cold didn't stop Iowa's offense that day either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT