ADVERTISEMENT

Week 0 B1G opener in Champaign

cidsports

HB King
Bret Bielema's debut as the Illini new head coach. Scott Frost's debut under new AD Trev Alberts on the road in Champaign to open 2021 Big Ten Football season in yes, Week 0.

It was supposed to be in Dublin, but the pandemic scraped that option for 2021. Nebraska-Northwestern in Dublin is in the plans for 2022.

“As a 51-year-old head coach of three different programs now, you learn to blend and do what you do best as a roster...can’t change what we’ve been but we can change what you’re going to be,” Bielema said. “For me, this comes from the evolution of college football and what I’ve seen from programs that I hold in high accord and how they’ve been able to transition success.”

Hayden Fry didn't win against Nebraska, until Year 3 at Iowa. He was competitive in that 1979 first season, but lost it, in the fourth quarter, like the season opener against Indiana at Kinnick.

Nebraska was a far more competitive program back in the 1970s, then the modern game under Scott Frost.

The Huskers last season honored their first black player with a decal, but the Illini got the win in Lincoln.

What direction will the tide fall in 2021 in this game in Champaign?

Bret and his family are likely excited for his debut at his native state program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News