ADVERTISEMENT

Week 0 through Week 2 in Big Ten

cidsports

HB King
Week 0
  • Nebraska at Illinois
This game should be a good one to watch. Like Hayden Fry at Iowa, Bret Bielema gets a Big Ten game at home to make his debut as a new head coach in Champaign.

The Illini have scored more points each year over the past 3 games, while Nebraska's offensive points have dropped from 54 to 23 in 3 years, ending with last year's 41-23 Illini win in Lincoln.

Are the Huskers on upset alert to start the season?

Week 1
  • Michigan State at Northwestern - the Spartans have won 2 straight over Pat Fitzgerald's teams. Mel Tucker hopes to have 50% of his new players through the portal
  • Minnesota at Ohio State - the last Golden Gophers win in Minneapolis was 40 years ago in 1981. 2000 for the last win in the series .... Buckeyes have won 10 straight in this series, including a 31-24 win in 2014 there, which was the last time the Gophers beat Iowa
  • Penn State at Wisconsin - Nittany Lions have won 4 straight in series, including the 2016 Big Ten title game and a 24-21 win the last time PSU played there in 2013 against #14 Badgers, in the final game of the Nittany Lions multi seasons of NCAA probation
  • Iowa vs. Indiana at Kinnick
Iowa appears in position to see all four top B1G West opponents open 0-1 in the Big Ten?

The kickoff of 2021 could be very interesting for the Hawkeyes, if they can get off to a strong 4-0 start heading into the Big Ten road opener at Maryland?

It has been 40 years, since that special season at Kinnick Stadium. The two game opener vs. Indiana and at Iowa State is even bigger than the 1977 season of the CyHawk renewal game.

Iowa opened 2-0 that year, as well. A B1G win over Northwestern, then the memorable 12-10 win over a Cyclones team primed to be up there with OU at the top of their conference.

Iowa State finished tied for 2nd that year, owning the win over Nebraska in Lincoln.

The Hawkeyes hope to close out the regular season with another win in Lincoln on Black Friday.

In talking about the College Football Playoff, Scott Dochterman sat down with Kirk Ferentz, who 40 years ago this week was announced as Hayden Fry's new OL coach. [6-25-1981]

“Probably because I’ve never coached one of those name schools and I’m like, ‘It’s OK, if you’re not the Big Ten champs four years in a row.’ It’s really more about the journey. It’s more about the investment you make, it’s more about how close did you come to maximizing than it is where you ended up.”

My personal journey with the Hawkeyes. Some early highlights:

• My first visit to Kinnick Stadium was the 1974 opener there, Iowa came in 0-1, after a loss in Ann Arbor to #6 Michigan. The Hawkeyes beat #12 UCLA 21-10. Iowa opened 1974 with four straight games in the Top 20
  • The 1977 CyHawk win 12-10 was highly anticipated & ended with mission accomplished
  • My family and I in my youth were at Hayden Fry's opening game in 1980 in Bloomington, like the season opener the year ahead, also against Indiana. Hawks won 16-7
  • Then, the magic of the 1981 season with Hayden Fry, Kirk Ferentz and that incredible coaching staff, beginning with the home opener and 10-7 win over #7 Nebraska
Who really knows how the 2021 season will go, but in Year 23, if Iowa can overcome questions with depth and key starters needing to step up to their abilities, this should be a memorable season to celebrate the 1921 - 1981 seasons and life of Hayden Fry, Bump Elliott and those no longer on the journey with us all?

Summer has arrived and Happy Father's Day to each of you 👋🏼

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News