ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend grill/smoker plans?

Which curries?

Nothing traditional, but a mishmash of cultures and items.

Friday I used some Masaman curry paste with pork loin, A Choy (Taiwanese “lettuce”), baby Bok Choi’s, Tatsois, celery, onion, garlic, broccoli, beech mushroom, canned baby corn, canned water chestnuts, and some canned bamboo shoots using coconut oil to sauté/panfry the veggies and coconut cream to tie everything together.

Today was a little closer to traditional with Chu Chee curry paste, salmon filets, fresh sliced ginger, lemongrass, baby Bok Choy, a choy, sliced ginkgo nuts, carrot and some coconut oil and coconut milk to tie it together.

These guys got a nice coat of Memphis dust rub, about 6 hours on a pellet grill. 250 was probably the average.

This was about an hour before pulling.

erLM7Co.jpg

Nothing traditional, but a mishmash of cultures and items.

Friday I used some Masaman curry paste with pork loin, A Choy (Taiwanese “lettuce”), baby Bok Choi’s, Tatsois, celery, onion, garlic, broccoli, beech mushroom, canned baby corn, canned water chestnuts, and some canned bamboo shoots using coconut oil to sauté/panfry the veggies and coconut cream to tie everything together.

Today was a little closer to traditional with Chu Chee curry paste, salmon filets, fresh sliced ginger, lemongrass, baby Bok Choy, a choy, sliced ginkgo nuts, carrot and some coconut oil and coconut milk to tie it together.
Sounds great actually. Nice.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Looking good.

I like to keep a wide selection of Maesri Thai curry cans in my larder because they last forever, take up only a little room and you can make basically an unlimited amount of dishes using random veggies, a protein, a fat (usually coconut oil, but butter or bacon grease work wonders as well) and a liquid of some sort (usually coconut milk, but stocks of all kinds work as well). And honestly, most middle and lower tier Thai places just use the Maesri pastes anyways as no one wants to put in the effort of toasting dozens of spices and peppers and grinding them up with ginger, galangal, lemongrass, tumeric, kaffir lime and a bunch of green herbs. The key is just to add the paste to the hot fat immediately after you finish cooking your aromatics like onions or any fresh ginger, galangal, etc...

But I usually keep at least red curry, green curry, regular yellow curry, yellow sour curry, prikh king (more ginger than the rest), Masaman, Panang, and Chu Chee (usually for seafood). I'll get the other varieties on occasion, but these are my favorite. I don't usually keep it traditional (for example, Masaman curry is usually just stewed beef and potatoes added to the paste and some coconut milk), once I know what the flavor generally tastes like I'm more than happy to mix and match it with other veggies and proteins.

Reactions: GOHOX69
ADVERTISEMENT